Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
well idk we have our own now and it seems to be working. the other few pharmacies use a different but still nz based software. changing that poo poo is not something anyone ever is going to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

american software already copes with at least 50 + 2 different ways of handling this poo poo, what's a 53rd ?

lol

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

american software already copes with at least 50 + 2 different ways of handling this poo poo, what's a 53rd ?

yeah but the 53rd would probably be Knifecrime Island before Sheeps North & South

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
i did mean the design pattern so thanks for that post. i actually dislike using singletons. singleton bad :agreed: but at the same time i'm trying to find good excuses to ever use them. learning facade in java i thought it might be a best use of it, and i guard myself to absolutely never use them in javascript or any functional PL

knowing how to use google i've read countless pro and con articles on the drat subject. none of them convince me singleton is ever a good idea.

but

being in yospos i know i'm surrounded by the greatest computer minds the internet has to offer

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

eschaton posted:

a bad hire can be a net negative for a team

this is the dumbest meme in tech. a bad manager or a bad culture can ruin a team but a bad hire can always be dealt with. just limit their responsibility to their capabilities or if you can't do that sideline them. if this seems unachievable to you see my point about management/culture and ask yourself if you're already hosed

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Awia posted:

i used to work in helicopter flight control software, so no downside if anything went wrong there either

most helicopters are designed to be landable if they lose power or flight control

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

the talent deficit posted:

most helicopters are designed to be landable if they lose power or flight control

yes

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

i just like telling people that

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

this is the dumbest meme in tech. a bad manager or a bad culture can ruin a team but a bad hire can always be dealt with. just limit their responsibility to their capabilities or if you can't do that sideline them. if this seems unachievable to you see my point about management/culture and ask yourself if you're already hosed

negatives can be mitigated, yes

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

all of new zealand probably has as many pharmacies as, say, the detroit metro area

how is it possible that there is a vertical market software firm catering to just NZ pharmacy
NZ has a healthier economy than Detroit.

At least I think it has but I don't really follow NZ outside of LOTR and whether they like being spied on by Americans (they love it).

DaTroof posted:

negatives can be mitigated, yes
I don't think he's saying you should hire lovely developers, just that the effort to avoid doing so (and the false negatives produced along the way) is too often outsized compared to, for example, not hiring product managers who don't know anything about software development or not having a CEO who alienates everyone in the company, or whatever.

And this is mostly because no one enjoys tearing down a developer in an interview more than another developer.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Kilroy posted:

I don't think he's saying you should hire lovely developers, just that the effort to avoid doing so (and the false negatives produced along the way) is too often outsized compared to, for example, not hiring product managers who don't know anything about software development or not having a CEO who alienates everyone in the company, or whatever.

i went to a conference where there was a panel discussion on how to hire great developers and the entirety of the discussion was strategies for avoiding hiring bad developers. some of the participants were advocating insanity like week long internships/try outs for senior developers or take home tests/projects that would take 20+ hours to complete. i asked if anyone thought that they were scaring off qualified developers (who always have other options) with their onerous hiring requirements and uniformly they claimed they would rather miss out on the top 20% of developers if it filtered out the bottom 20%. they literally would prefer to never hire a top 20% developer to avoid having to fire or manage out an underperforming developer

if this describes your company your management is awful

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

gonadic io posted:

V close to London Street station

Hmm cool. I'm closer to canary wharf but pass through Stratford everyday and I think that's close to London Street (Liverpool station?). I still need to get used to the transport here but maybe in a week or two, sounds good

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

i went to a conference where there was a panel discussion on how to hire great developers and the entirety of the discussion was strategies for avoiding hiring bad developers. some of the participants were advocating insanity like week long internships/try outs for senior developers or take home tests/projects that would take 20+ hours to complete. i asked if anyone thought that they were scaring off qualified developers (who always have other options) with their onerous hiring requirements and uniformly they claimed they would rather miss out on the top 20% of developers if it filtered out the bottom 20%. they literally would prefer to never hire a top 20% developer to avoid having to fire or manage out an underperforming developer

Frankly most companies would not want to hire a top 20% developer if it meant they had to pay them a top 20% salary. If they can get one for the average price, sure, but otherwise eeeeh.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

my company seems to be unafraid to hire bottom 20% developers and unwilling to pay good salaries for good developers :thumbsup:

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

If you put that same group together in a different context I'd wager they could drone on about the importance of ninja rockstar 10x developers for at least a solid hour.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Valeyard posted:

Hmm cool. I'm closer to canary wharf but pass through Stratford everyday and I think that's close to London Street (Liverpool station?). I still need to get used to the transport here but maybe in a week or two, sounds good

Yeah I did mean Liverpool Street

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

the secret to a good technical interview loop is to spend one (maybe two?) interviewer's time verifying technical proficiency and the rest learning how they act in the workplace and how they respond to various situations.

this annoys developers because normally they can just ask their pet interview problem and check email instead of actively engaging with the interviewee, though

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

although the bottom 20% of developers is often actively bad for the code base and cause more issues than they fix going forward.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

MeruFM posted:

although the bottom 20% of developers is often actively bad for the code base and cause more issues than they fix going forward.

How can this be so though, what organisation is hiring people with absolutely no reviewing of work, or pairing, or communication?

If lovely developers can sink the ship, surely there's a lot more lovely developers and development processes in place already?

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Maluco Marinero posted:

How can this be so though, what organisation is hiring people with absolutely no reviewing of work, or pairing, or communication?

If lovely developers can sink the ship, surely there's a lot more lovely developers and development processes in place already?

Nearly every job I've worked at has a lax review processes. Review for style and some UAT if they give enough of a poo poo

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
GOTO second paragraph I guess then. If companies can't figure out to grow talent through review and collaboration then they deserve a shortage of effective developers.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

MeruFM posted:

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
if by sideline, you mean layoff, then yes that is possible. also congrats on wasting everyone's time hiring an unsuitable person so everyone has to go through the process again.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
she's not saying hiring unsuitable people doesn't have downsides, she's saying that those downsides are worth it if it stops your hiring process from pissing off the part of the talent pool which gets to be picky about who they interview with

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
that makes sense

rereading the original argument, i went into a tangent on my thought process

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

echinopsis posted:

i suspect the coding market in christchurch new zealand isnt that ghreat. all my comp sci mates had to move to auckland at minimum and mostly sydney or further :(
gently caress off we're full :australia:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
full?

fulla cunts like you!

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
rippa!!

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

fart simpson posted:

my company seems to be unafraid to hire bottom 20% developers
we noticed

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

echinopsis posted:

full?

fulla cunts like you!
my normal response to this is

jony ive aces posted:

gently caress off we're full :australia:
of poo poo!!!!! :xd:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Maluco Marinero posted:

Almost any finance company?

My interview consisted of being asked if I really want the job, everyone else ran away.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Who, besides the most desperate of people, would consider taking a week long internship/try-out? Are you supposed to take a week-long vacation from your job or suspend your job search/classes for a week if you're in college?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it's the new American way. will smith did it and it was way longer than a week

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

echinopsis posted:

it's the new American way. will smith did it and it was way longer than a week

Wasn't he homeless in that movie?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah. with a son and some X-ray machines

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
what is a top 20% developer? a leader who can successfully define a software architecture then organize the team and execute the design? seems like the most valuable attributes an individual contributor can have are a base-level competency in the target language/platform and an agreeable attitude.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

yeah but the 53rd would probably be Knifecrime Island before Sheeps North & South

the u.k. is 60 million people, it's not gonna surprise me when they can develop internal markets for vertical market software

new zealand is the size of a midsize city

imagine making millions of dollars selling pharmacy software specific to the needs of the detroit metro area

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
it's not that implausible. I had a quick look at the case of finland, as a developed country of similar size, and it too seems to have two local companies splitting the pharmacy software market. presumably it's just the kind of market where this can happen.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Barnyard Protein posted:

what is a top 20% developer? a leader who can successfully define a software architecture then organize the team and execute the design? seems like the most valuable attributes an individual contributor can have are a base-level competency in the target language/platform and an agreeable attitude.
there's an awful lot more to it than that. people are complicated and how they interact is really complicated. ordering developers along a single dimension and then declaring some of them to be 'top 20%' is daft, but claiming there are two binary attributes that determine a developer's worth is even more daft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

Barnyard Protein posted:

top 20% devs are the office and azure teams at microsoft

everyone else is being fired though so its a moving target

• Locked thread