Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

If you re-up on a 2-year agreement, it's $40/month to add the line to a mobile share plan, instead of $15/month on a Next plan. That is the only reason I finally relinquished my unlimited plan (:rip:). It ended up being cheaper, as I only average 5GB/month.

It was a good run, but I'm actually looking forward to being able to tether without a jailbreak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
Uh doesn't that mean Apple's upgrade program with AppleCare is a better way to go? You get an unlocked phone, keep your old plan without signing a new contract, upgrade every year, and don't pay any additional money to AT&T monthly.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Glumwheels posted:

Uh doesn't that mean Apple's upgrade program with AppleCare is a better way to go? You get an unlocked phone, keep your old plan without signing a new contract, upgrade every year, and don't pay any additional money to AT&T monthly.

If you switch carriers often or are an international traveler then absolutely, I got my parents on it because I never know where they'll be from quarter to quarter.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

This is what I get when I check on 2 year contracts:

So maybe not online for everyone then. I guess go check with a company store?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm so exited for the content blocker. Like one of the major selling points for me for upgrading from the 5 to 6s is that the content blocker is apparently not gonna be available for the 5. Websites are so god drat slow that i usually run with JavaScript turned off just to have it manageable.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm so exited for the content blocker. Like one of the major selling points for me for upgrading from the 5 to 6s is that the content blocker is apparently not gonna be available for the 5. Websites are so god drat slow that i usually run with JavaScript turned off just to have it manageable.

That... doesn't make sense to me. Why is that limited by device?

Also, isn't the content blocker just part of the sdk now that third party companies will have to use in their own extensions? Like you're not going to get iOS9 and open safari and be in pure bliss, you're going to have to wait until someone makes an ad-blocking extension that you can use (which will be available probably on day 1).

Or have I been misunderstanding this because there seems to be a lot of conflicting articles out there.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh yeah, if you're ordering through ATTs premier business site, it looks like your activation fee is waived. Or at least mine was.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

TinTower posted:

So how can you clear out the junk on the Podcasts app? There's about 120MB – on a space-starved 16GB – in Documents and Data but I can't seem to delete it in any way. :smith:

I think for the portion in Documents and Data on a stock app (non-removable) you will need to do a restore. Not sure if that's worth the 120 mb gain.

noirstronaut posted:

You can pay it through AT&T right now and still order to get the phone on the 25th.

Or bypass the whole thing and schedule a reservation to utilize the iPhone Upgrade Program

Thought about that but the payment would need to clear, and it's a weekend, etc., just going to wait it out.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

So maybe not online for everyone then. I guess go check with a company store?

That's what I did first and she said not in this state. But I knew folks here were doing it. But apparently it's regional which is super weird but whatever. It's an upgrade line, so I might just do the apple thing. Or just pay for the drat thing up front.

We just rotate phones in my family when a new comes out. I get the latest (because I'm the only one who cares, and then the others are passed down. Given that we don't tend to get rid of them, at least not in the next few years, I suppose the Apple thing doesn't make sense. I'm probably better off doing the Next thing. I'm just worried it will accidentally nuke my unlimited data.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

spongeworthy posted:

I think for the portion in Documents and Data on a stock app (non-removable) you will need to do a restore. Not sure if that's worth the 120 mb gain.

Google tells me it's apparently something to do with the auto-delete function.

I assume that my pending upgrade will clear that out if the auto-delete function doesn't, yeah?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Oh yeah, if you're ordering through ATTs premier business site, it looks like your activation fee is waived. Or at least mine was.

Mine wasn't. Wonder if I can call them up and ask them to waive.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That's what I did first and she said not in this state. But I knew folks here were doing it. But apparently it's regional which is super weird but whatever. It's an upgrade line, so I might just do the apple thing. Or just pay for the drat thing up front.

We just rotate phones in my family when a new comes out. I get the latest (because I'm the only one who cares, and then the others are passed down. Given that we don't tend to get rid of them, at least not in the next few years, I suppose the Apple thing doesn't make sense. I'm probably better off doing the Next thing. I'm just worried it will accidentally nuke my unlimited data.

They could be trialing no contract offers in a few locations, they usually do that before setting a nationwide policy. So if you happened to be in that zone (and it sounds like you are), you are just SOL then.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm so used to paying two or three hundred dollars to upgrade without my monthly fee changing that I think I may just sit this one out. Feels like I'm gonna pay a lot more no matter what.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

The Dave posted:

Safari Content Blockers are limited to 64-bit devices, so the 5 is excluded.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

The Dave posted:

Also, isn't the content blocker just part of the sdk now that third party companies will have to use in their own extensions? Like you're not going to get iOS9 and open safari and be in pure bliss, you're going to have to wait until someone makes an ad-blocking extension that you can use (which will be available probably on day 1).

Or have I been misunderstanding this because there seems to be a lot of conflicting articles out there.

http://www.imore.com/here-are-all-iphones-and-ipads-compatible-ios-9-content-blockers

It's only 5s and above, requires a 64 bit cpu.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Oh well that's silly.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
So I'm on a family plan (5 iPhones), currently still unlimited plan (but will switch over to a MobileShare for this year). We do the normal phone pass-down, so half the phones have a year of contract left. I bought my 6S to upgrade a phone that's going to be off-contract in ~5 days. As it was full price, contract-free, does that mean it's unlocked, and I can shove any old SIM in it? Once all our contracts are up next year, I'd like to switch over to Verizon and just switch SIMs...

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Boris Galerkin posted:

Same here, I'm hoping something will be out on iOS 9's official launch day. It's not even website loading speeds for me, it's the huge-rear end banners covering the page with tiny little Xs to tap with my giant thumb.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Question Mark Mound posted:

Same here, I'm hoping something will be out on iOS 9's official launch day. It's not even website loading speeds for me, it's the huge-rear end banners covering the page with tiny little Xs to tap with my giant thumb.

Why not try the Adblock Plus browser? It works well on Android, I assume it's just as good on iOS.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

zenintrude posted:

Why not try the Adblock Plus browser? It works well on Android, I assume it's just as good on iOS.
Just out of habit I prefer using the default apps for browsing, mail, etc. Means that if I click a link in an email then I'm not brought into the "wrong" browser.

Also if I understand right, I think these content blockers should be able to feed into all apps whether they're designed for them or not - e.g. if I view a link within Twitter's browser, content can still be blocked within them?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

Eh, this I would disagree with from experience. I worked in management at ATT right above an Apple store in one of the largest malls in the US, and honestly, Apple employees were awful at explaining the differences. I had so many issues of "I was never told this," that I think it is the better option.

Vodafone (UK) gave me 3 free months when I got the 4, because the Applestore staff were so bad at knowing what contract was which at the time, that they grossly miss-sold a 2nd line upgrade. I've never felt confident in any of their answers since finding out they (at least at the time) just took on temp staff for launch days and gave them a brief orientation. Looking around, each phone purchase ended up taking twice as long as necessary because a manager (or just, a non-temp) needed to be consulted on just about any question.
Hopefully this has gotten better but if you want to do anything other than a straight purchase a carrier store is usually a better (though unremarkable) option.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I just preordered my 6S, and Verizon is apparently offering a $250 discount on any iPad with the upgrade. I have a kid coming any day now and was looking at one anyway for educational apps and the like, plus I wouldn't mind having one for iPad only games. What model should I be looking at for the best gaming/app experience?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I'm trying to see if anything is faulty with my plan. Hopefully someone here can shed light on this.

I recently got a replacement iPhone 6 through my carrier insurance since my old phone (which I'm sending back) was busted. Can't I sell this new phone to someone for whatever I want, use that money to finish paying it off through ATT, and be on a clean slate regarding the device payments? Then I can just go to an Apple Store on the 25th (I set up an appointment) and buy a new phone financed through Apple with service from ATT. Right?

e: or will I have to pay the rest of the fees on the phone first and have ATT unlock it before I sell it?

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 13, 2015

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

zenintrude posted:

That's a pretty grand assumption. Third party browsers on iOS are pretty crap all around.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

ShoogaSlim posted:

I'm trying to see if anything is faulty with my plan. Hopefully someone here can shed light on this.

I recently got a replacement iPhone 6 through my carrier insurance since my old phone (which I'm sending back) was busted. Can't I sell this new phone to someone for whatever I want, use that money to finish paying it off through ATT, and be on a clean slate regarding the device payments? Then I can just go to an Apple Store on the 25th (I set up an appointment) and buy a new phone financed through Apple with service from ATT. Right?

e: or will I have to pay the rest of the fees on the phone first and have ATT unlock it before I sell it?

Why don't you just ask someone to open up his or her wallet and pay off your phone payment plan for you? It accomplishes the same thing without causing AT&T to plaster your replacement phone with a bad ESN.

Value judgments aside, you need to do the thing from your edit.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the poi posted:

So I'm on a family plan (5 iPhones), currently still unlimited plan (but will switch over to a MobileShare for this year). We do the normal phone pass-down, so half the phones have a year of contract left. I bought my 6S to upgrade a phone that's going to be off-contract in ~5 days. As it was full price, contract-free, does that mean it's unlocked, and I can shove any old SIM in it? Once all our contracts are up next year, I'd like to switch over to Verizon and just switch SIMs...

This will depend highly on the phones in your plan. Supposedly Verizon is whitelisting unlocked 6 and 6s units, so those should work completely without issue. Unlocked 5s unts might work with an activated SIM but won't get visual voicemail. Nothing older will work.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Why don't you just ask someone to open up his or her wallet and pay off your phone payment plan for you? It accomplishes the same thing without causing AT&T to plaster your replacement phone with a bad ESN.

Value judgments aside, you need to do the thing from your edit.

After thinking about it for more than three seconds, I realize that my edit was the proper way to go. I'm going to pay my phone off first and I already have someone lined up to buy it right after. A friend of mine is going to loan me their spare 5s until I go get a 6s (assuming any are left by the time my reservation rolls around).

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

How backwards and inferior will I be feeling if I buy an iPhone 5s? I just broke my phone today (:saddowns:) and absolutely need to get something tomorrow, but I refuse to spend almost-new prices for a 6 at this point, and there are lots of 5S' for sale locally around $250. I don't care that it isn't latest and greatest right now, but do they still run fairly smoothly?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

IuniusBrutus posted:

How backwards and inferior will I be feeling if I buy an iPhone 5s? I just broke my phone today (:saddowns:) and absolutely need to get something tomorrow, but I refuse to spend almost-new prices for a 6 at this point, and there are lots of 5S' for sale locally around $250. I don't care that it isn't latest and greatest right now, but do they still run fairly smoothly?

A 5s? Have you heard of a little country called north korea? It'll be a lot like living there.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

IuniusBrutus posted:

Yeah totally. In fact I feel like the 5S runs just as well as the 6. Battery life isn't as good but I'd still recommend it if you don't want the 6 because of its size.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

IuniusBrutus posted:

You should buy a 6S.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Michael Scott posted:

You should buy a 6S.

I have to get something tomorrow.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

IuniusBrutus posted:

Order a 6s tomorrow.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

IuniusBrutus posted:

Buy a 5S or a 6 or 6+ tomorrow, return it in a few weeks when/if what you want becomes available.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I assumed that Brits would be the ones getting shafted on phone conrtacts but I guess not. I'm planning to get a 6s in December and then get a £15 a month top up thing that gives unlimited data,texts and some minutes.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ShoogaSlim posted:

This. Device has to be paid off first. Once it is, go to ATT.com/deviceunlock and it goes through pretty quickly, like 24 hours or less.

To whomever was asking, verizon is starting to take non Verizon iPhones, but only the iPhone 6. I have an unlocked ATT iPhone 6 I'm activating there this week, so I'll be able to confirm how the process is.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dugong posted:

I assumed that Brits would be the ones getting shafted on phone conrtacts but I guess not. I'm planning to get a 6s in December and then get a £15 a month top up thing that gives unlimited data,texts and some minutes.

Yeah it seems a little better over here than the US. But this doesn't stop me hating, with good reason, pretty much every carrier there is.

Like T-Mobile, who didn't cancel my contract despite the fact I cancelled it but said I 'might call back for a PAC' but then didn't as I liked my new number. 6 months of extra charges I got about 40% back from.

Or o2 who gave me the wrong return address for my lease handset on a sticker, and if it wasn't for the fact I paid for tracking and proved I sent it meant that iI only had to deal with debt collectors and o2s lovely customer service for 18 months

Or Vodafone who turned off my phone because someone who rang up and failed DPA asked them too.

They all suck so hard it blows my mind. I don't get this poo poo from any other industry.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Question Mark Mound posted:

Also if I understand right, I think these content blockers should be able to feed into all apps whether they're designed for them or not - e.g. if I view a link within Twitter's browser, content can still be blocked within them?

Really? Source? I've only read that it's for safari extensions.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

To use content blockers, I think the app has to switch to using a Safari View Controller which is new to iOS 9. That seems like it will be pretty common, at least for well maintained apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ooh does that mean apps that open a web window will have options like using Reader too? That'll be neat for my RSS feeds.