Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

blowfish posted:

Please don't project your persecution complex on the entire world. You don't need to harm people to be a racist.

But like everything else you've said about racism, this is just an assertion from somebody with few credentials on the matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

QuarkJets posted:

There's a guy on my feed who keeps ranting about how the government is suppressing the Planned Parenthood selling babies thing. He keeps posting memes that are basically "WHY IS NO ONE TALKING ABOUT THIS, IS PLANNED PARENTHOOD BUYING OFF THE MEDIA"

As though you needed to convince the media to not want to talk about abortion

I don't get that scandal. Would the baby corpses just be incinerated otherwise?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

boom boom boom posted:

I don't get that scandal. Would the baby corpses just be incinerated otherwise?

The claim is that doctors are being directed to modify the procedure so that they're more likely to pick up entire baby parts, and then those baby parts are being sold to scientific researchers for profit, both of which are illegal because they make a specific type of religious person mad

What's actually happening is doctors are already aware that abortion waste products are useful for scientific research, so they modify how they operate regardless. And the parts aren't sold for profit, but rather to cover operating expenses. These are both legal. But you can see how a dumb person might assume that these are illegal, too

But a religious group went undercover as researchers and is trying to claim that their video is evidence of wrongdoing, so now Republicans are becoming more successful at their efforts to defund Planned Parenthood. It's really sad.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 5, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Unironically, It should be legal to sell dead baby parts for profit.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I agree but there are religious people and they'll do just about anything to shut down Planned Parenthood, using any squirmy legal loophole that they can imagine

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I wish I had not posted that because it caused a loving stupid derail. I just wanted to illustrate what a loving deluded idiot the guy who runs Statist Idiot of the Day fb group was.

Speaking of idiots, a friend of mine has a Fb group for posting memes and funny images and videos. Mostly political stuff is on the level of "lol republicans and Harper are dumb", but one member took issue with the Davis being called a conservative, saying that just because she's religious she's not a conservative. When confronted that the two are pretty synonymous these days, especially when talking about US Politics, he got really salty, then claimed Ron Paul was a conservative without being religious, then listing the things he liked about Ron Paul. When confronted about Ron Paul and his essentially theocratic views, this guy said "I do not get news from any mainstream source, they're all own by zionists and communists, to brainwash us. I get all my information from info wars, before its news and above top secret". I made a comment about natural news and he said it was run by hippies, so therefor invalid. When I said "so you hate jews" he pulled out "i don't, i have jewish friends! I just hate the zionists who control our media!". I do love how to Cts, there is a division between Jews, and JEWS!!!!!!!!! as if there was some secret cabal of Jewish people that is the heart of all evil in the world, but they are completely separate from the Goldfarbs that live across the street. So its totally okay to say anti-Semetic things because you're not talking about them, you're talking about those dastardly Rothschilds and Bildurbergs.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

twistedmentat posted:

I do love how to Cts, there is a division between Jews, and JEWS!!!!!!!!! as if there was some secret cabal of Jewish people that is the heart of all evil in the world, but they are completely separate from the Goldfarbs that live across the street. So its totally okay to say anti-Semetic things because you're not talking about them, you're talking about those dastardly Rothschilds and Bildurbergs.

It's like if Chris Rock were Jewish.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
Welp, today's the day of our thread's namesake.
Here's hoping the only 9/11 conspiracy stuff I hear today is only meant ironically.. (a.k.a. loving goons)

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Lightning Jim posted:

Welp, today's the day of our thread's namesake.
Here's hoping the only 9/11 conspiracy stuff I hear today is only meant ironically.. (a.k.a. loving goons)

Saw a girl on tumblr asking mythbusters to show that jet fuel can't melt steel beams this morning.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

GutBomb posted:

Saw a girl on tumblr asking mythbusters to show that jet fuel can't melt steel beams this morning.

Might not melt 'em straight up but it's sure gonna weaken the hell out of 'em and there was quite a bit of weight above 'em.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

GutBomb posted:

That would be a real easy one for them to do. Build a little bridge or beam out of steel then add a ton of weight to the top and start a fire under it and watch it weaken and collapse. Simple and informative.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I distinctly remember on 9/11/01 thinking, "okay, two huge jetliners over loving lower Manhattan, millions of people staring and every camera on earth rolling --at least there is no possible way for there to arise any idiot conspiracy theories about what just happened"

:negative:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Ugh, it never fails. Every year someone I know outs themselves as a truther. This year it's a guy I met through a local music scene, a promoter for whom I have a lot of respect. I want to be in his good books and to start playing some of the parties he runs, but a part of me just really wants to touch the poop on this one. I've posted the RationalWiki rebuttal page as a comment, but it immediately got buried by a handful of replies about 'Mossad agents were in the building two weeks prior', links to five-hour documentaries and 'blast points too accurate for sand people' memes. That's probably a good thing.

I just... man, I just want to keep politics and music separate. I fear that some people with clout don't share that opinion. How do you deal with it?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mister Speaker posted:

Ugh, it never fails. Every year someone I know outs themselves as a truther. This year it's a guy I met through a local music scene, a promoter for whom I have a lot of respect. I want to be in his good books and to start playing some of the parties he runs, but a part of me just really wants to touch the poop on this one. I've posted the RationalWiki rebuttal page as a comment, but it immediately got buried by a handful of replies about 'Mossad agents were in the building two weeks prior', links to five-hour documentaries and 'blast points too accurate for sand people' memes. That's probably a good thing.

I just... man, I just want to keep politics and music separate. I fear that some people with clout don't share that opinion. How do you deal with it?

in my experience a large proportion of people in the 'music scene' are nuts, i know a guy who's a promoter and he just about burnt himself out arguing with DJs, promoters, and other fringe music people because all of them were getting super pissy about false flags and crisis actors in this most recent crop of mass shootings

if you're a grown adult and you still list your primary occupation as 'freelance DJ' then you're probably not of sound mind to begin with

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
A crane near a mosque in Mecca collapsed today and killed a bunch of people. Who's ready for conspiracy theories about that mixed in with the racist celebrations of people's deaths?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Baronjutter posted:

That would be a real easy one for them to do. Build a little bridge or beam out of steel then add a ton of weight to the top and start a fire under it and watch it weaken and collapse. Simple and informative.

I actually saw something like this on TV, they had a bunch of well known truthers on to watch experiments just like that but the truthers would only retort "But that's not how it happened" "if there was only bending of beams, then how come there was melted steel all over ground zero?" "None of this disproves the jets were actually missiles fitted with holographic projectors" and so on.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Jet fuel can't melt idiocy.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

head58 posted:

Jet fuel can't melt idiocy.

Jet fuel melted my brain.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Kit Walker posted:

Jet fuel melted my brain.

But not your posts

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

A crane near a mosque in Mecca collapsed today and killed a bunch of people. Who's ready for conspiracy theories about that mixed in with the racist celebrations of people's deaths?

This has some actual significance to me, as I work for a company that trains people who operate and inspect poo poo like cranes. We've done a ton of jobs in Saudi Arabia, Qatar, the UAE, etc. Makes me wonder if that operator and his buddies had any connection to the people we trained.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Hit an icecube with a steel hammer. Boom. The ice cube breaks and the hammer doesn't. You could even make a very large ice block in your freezer if you wanted a better test. Same result, no damage to the hammer but the ice falls apart.

The Titanic was clearly a false flag designed to hide the fact that the world is flat.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Shbobdb posted:

Hit an icecube with a steel hammer. Boom. The ice cube breaks and the hammer doesn't. You could even make a very large ice block in your freezer if you wanted a better test. Same result, no damage to the hammer but the ice falls apart.

The Titanic was clearly a false flag designed to hide the fact that the world is flat.

No, it was do to something to do with the Rothschild's eliminating their banking competition and keeping the Federal Reserve in charge of monitory policy because there were US government members aboard that were racing home to end the fed.

That's an actual CT about the Titanic.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ive seen pictures of the titanic underwater, have you ever rubbed ice over metal before? it doesn't break the metal, the ice just melts everywhere! the pattern of holes on the side of the ship is more like what happens if you shoot at it with lasers, likely from a spaceborne platform since the targeting wasn't perfect, and the telltale horizontal streak of LASER HOLES is because the satellite was moving through its orbit

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Shbobdb posted:

I know you're joking but the thing I find tragicomical is that the Titanic would have probably survived if it had just rammed the motherfucker. The front was designed to handle mild collisions, but their lovely turn meant the side of the ship was what hit the 'berg and that was made of thinner metal which wasn't in a triangular shape (like the front, as the triangle is structurally better for pressure) which allowed it to rupture.

Basically, the Titanic lost a game of chicken with a block of ice, and so a lot of its passengers lost their lives.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tesseraction posted:

I know you're joking but the thing I find tragicomical is that the Titanic would have probably survived if it had just rammed the motherfucker. The front was designed to handle mild collisions, but their lovely turn meant the side of the ship was what hit the 'berg and that was made of thinner metal which wasn't in a triangular shape (like the front, as the triangle is structurally better for pressure) which allowed it to rupture.

Basically, the Titanic lost a game of chicken with a block of ice, and so a lot of its passengers lost their lives.

Also I believe the Titanic scraping across the iceberg instead of a direct hit served to pop a ton of rivets.

There's a Titanic museum on I-Drive in Orlando that I went too in like, 2012. They serve to not only explain life aboard the ship and how it was built (including replicas of rooms and tons of artifacts), but also dispel a lot of myths and explain things that aren't known to the general public. Like the boilers started venting steam, which meant that the ship spent some time sounding like the world's biggest tea kettle whistling.

And since women and children were loaded on lifeboats first, some were seen demanding their men hand over their wallets first.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
But we both agree that it happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RRziaFmrlw

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

chitoryu12 posted:

And since women and children were loaded on lifeboats first, some were seen demanding their men hand over their wallets first.

As horrible as that sounds, we need to remember that 1912 was a very different world.

A woman and child arriving in a foreign land with no husband, no possessions, and no money would be expected to slowly starve to death on the street.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
http://www.ibtimes.com/911-conspiracy-theories-inside-lonely-lives-truthers-still-looking-their-big-break-2091474

Kinda sad that being a truther alienates you from pretty much everyone who isn't also a truther, but then it's their choice to not shut up about it. I do like how in the comments the truthers are almost always spam replied.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

No, it was do to something to do with the Rothschild's eliminating their banking competition and keeping the Federal Reserve in charge of monitory policy because there were US government members aboard that were racing home to end the fed.

That's an actual CT about the Titanic.

There're quite a few CTs about the Titanic, which just proves that they're not a particularly modern phenomenon; any major, shocking tragic event gets people trying to rationalise it away as something other than a horrible random thing that the world churns up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Titanic_alternative_theories

The 'Ship That Never Sank' one is a beautiful example. In short it states that the Titanic was switched for her older sistership, the Olympic, and deliberately sunk in an act of insurance fraud because the Olympic had been critically damaged in her 1911 collision with the HMS Hawke. Like all the 'best' CTs it looks ludicrously over-complicated and unlikely on the first reading (even if you want to sink a ship to collect the insurance, why do it by gambling with 2000+ lives in the middle of the Atlantic?) and completely falls apart on the scantest look at the facts - the White Star Line received its insurance pay-out from the Hawke collision, the Titanic was under-insured so the WSL lost money on the sinking anyway, the ships were not as 'identical' as is often made out and bits of the wreck have the Titanic's hull number stamped on them. And there's the little detail that the author had written a previous book (before the 1998 bestseller timed for a quick money-grab after a certain blockbuster film...) in which he admits at the end that it's all fiction and just some pulpy alt-hist theorising. Doesn't stop people believing it though!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

9/11: Really bad, or not so bad after all? What do you guys think?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Arglebargle III posted:

9/11: Really bad, or not so bad after all? What do you guys think?

Really bad because it crushed the hippy dippy elements of the new millennium / globalization. It also justifies the thousand billion dollar defense budget.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Listen here bud, Amerikkka deserved 911.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's awfully easy to do half-reasoned demonstrations of physical effects or recreations of things that "prove" one thing or another, and it can be awfully entertaining to listen to them. I'm sure it's the same thrill you get from watching Mythbusters when you pore through a list of claims like "they found thermite" or "jet fuel burns at such and such temperature", and you feel like it's all building to something but ... nobody ever says what.

That's the beauty of it. Nobody ever has to say what the gently caress sense it makes to blow up a bomb in a building you're already crashing jetliners into in full view of millions of people and news cameras. Nobody has to explain why it's "suspicious" for some nearby building to catch fire and collapse in the crashing rubble hours later, or what it proves. All you have to do is keep rattling through your list of poo poo that just does not add up and the audience ends up falling down that rabbit hole, because, well, it's fascinating! It's exciting! It makes you feel like all the facts are being laid out for you by smarter people than you! And never mind that it never says why any of this poo poo should have been necessary if all they wanted was a pretext to go to war with Saddam or whatever when they so easily could have done God knows what else so drat easily. They don't have to come up with any kind of unifying theory at all. It wouldn't make the story any more compelling to the people who are swayed by it so far.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Seeing a small, exposed part of something big and buried that only gives you the barest outline of what's really going on is a really handy way of defining the sublime. It's a powerful and addictive feeling. It's why people watched Unsolved Mysteries--not just because you feel smart and are comforted by a sense of the world being orderly and rational, but conversely because of the thrill of the unknown and the power of those glimpses into the secret heart of the universe if you just get a few more pieces.

The satisfaction of getting another piece is the whole attraction for some people, and the reason why they don't care about whether or how they fit together.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Probably also why they'll grind for weeks to get to another level in WoW when they know it only means grinding for months for the next one.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The other thing is the whole question of "Why would they do that?"

Because they wanted an excuse to go to war!
The US Government can cook up a reason for war without killing 3000 of its own people, and causing billions of dollars in damage.

They wanted to steal the silver in the WTC
Again, i'm sure the government could figure out an easier way to get the silver if they wanted it. Its the Government.

The real target was WTC7 and they used it to destroy the CIA archives there!
Again, there are easier ways.

Mossod..
No stop, you're about to say something horribly anti-semetic

Do people not know what Thermite is and that its pretty much refined rust, and its also used in welding, which is extremely common in any place there are lots of buildings? Is it not possible that the thermite found at ground zero came from other sources?

NO! Because they don't have any actual knowledge and becoming actual educate themselves on these topics, memes and youtube vids are all they want to look at.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Jack Gladney posted:

Seeing a small, exposed part of something big and buried that only gives you the barest outline of what's really going on is a really handy way of defining the sublime. It's a powerful and addictive feeling. It's why people watched Unsolved Mysteries--not just because you feel smart and are comforted by a sense of the world being orderly and rational, but conversely because of the thrill of the unknown and the power of those glimpses into the secret heart of the universe if you just get a few more pieces.

The satisfaction of getting another piece is the whole attraction for some people, and the reason why they don't care about whether or how they fit together.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

twistedmentat posted:

Do people not know what Thermite is and that its pretty much refined rust, and its also used in welding, which is extremely common in any place there are lots of buildings? Is it not possible that the thermite found at ground zero came from other sources?

NO! Because they don't have any actual knowledge and becoming actual educate themselves on these topics, memes and youtube vids are all they want to look at.

The "they found (nano)thermite at ground zero" claim mainly comes from the fact that high levels of sulfur compounds were found in the smoke released by the fire, and sulfur is sometimes used as an admixture in thermite to increase its ignitability. They do not seem to recognize that perhaps instead all that sulfur came from the buildings' drywall, which is almost pure gypsum (calcium sulfate dihydride).

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Most truthers don't seem to be aware that the WTC was built really cheaply and poorly and had it actually been built well the plane wings would've just sheared off on impact and the buildings would've just been damaged rather than burning and collapsing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

I actually saw something like this on TV, they had a bunch of well known truthers on to watch experiments just like that but the truthers would only retort "But that's not how it happened" "if there was only bending of beams, then how come there was melted steel all over ground zero?" "None of this disproves the jets were actually missiles fitted with holographic projectors" and so on.

Even if they did, it wouldn't help. I once witnessed a conversation between a bunch of the whole 'free car fuel' types who just went on about how Mythbusters were now clearly in the pocket of big oil after they debunked those 'install this in your car for free gas' devices.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 13, 2015

• Locked thread