Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Assuming it's not possible to straight update from beta? I have a time machine backup so no big to restore, but it'll just take longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

robodex posted:

Assuming it's not possible to straight update from beta? I have a time machine backup so no big to restore, but it'll just take longer.

You should have received an email if it's not showing up in the App Store updates section. It gives you code (it will pre-enter for you) and start the download of the El Capitan GM image and then launch the installer. This is first I'm installing it, and I decided to update my personal dev laptop as opposed to the once I actually use for work, but I haven't heard of not being to install over a beta build. Give it a shot, the worst that could happen is it tells you no.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

flosofl posted:

You should have received an email if it's not showing up in the App Store updates section. It gives you code (it will pre-enter for you) and start the download of the El Capitan GM image and then launch the installer. This is first I'm installing it, and I decided to update my personal dev laptop as opposed to the once I actually use for work, but I haven't heard of not being to install over a beta build. Give it a shot, the worst that could happen is it tells you no.

True, I got the e-mail but just won't be home for long enough until Saturday to try. I'd like to avoid not having to do a full reinstall since my TM backup excludes all of the cloud storage I use (icloud drive, dropbox) and I don't think my connection could take redownloading 60gb of stuff. I don't think the TM drive I have is big enough to include them, either.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Installing the GM from the App Store on top of a beta build doesn't delete any data.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

it-just-works.gif

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Is that an El Capitan error message? Someone put that in the OP, stat!

Edit: seems to be an iTunes related issue

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Binary Badger posted:

Is that an El Capitan error message? Someone put that in the OP, stat!

Edit: seems to be an iTunes related issue

Yeah, I got the same error when I updated iTunes a couple weeks ago.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Cozmosis posted:

Man, San Francisco really looks terrible on a non-retina screen. Worse than Helvetica Neue.

It sure does!

One of these years we'll get a MBA with a non-terrible display. Or maybe they'll make the MacBook into a usable computer

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

The Milkman posted:

It sure does!

One of these years we'll get a MBA with a non-terrible display. Or maybe they'll make the MacBook into a usable computer

My prediction: the MacBook Air will stagnate in terms of features until the MacBook roughly matches its performance and can be sold for roughly the same price, at which point the Air will be discontinued.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

The rear end Stooge posted:

My prediction: the MacBook Air will stagnate in terms of features until the MacBook roughly matches its performance and can be sold for roughly the same price, at which point the Air will be discontinued.

Yeah, the Air is almost certainly on the chopping block. It doesn't have a niche anymore, which is a shame because aside from the screen it's a much nicer machine than the MacBook.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Yeah, that's my guess too. No doubt the new MacBook will eventually get decent specs like the Air did, but the 'literally only one port even for charging and needs adapters to do anything ever' is brutal.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

The Milkman posted:

Yeah, that's my guess too. No doubt the new MacBook will eventually get decent specs like the Air did, but the 'literally only one port even for charging and needs adapters to do anything ever' is brutal.

Yeah I dislike the idea of a single port for everything. I especially dislike the idea of getting rid of the MagSafe power. I swear having the MagSafe adaptor has saved my rear end more times than I can count.

I have my Air and I love it to death as it does pretty much everything I need a computer to do when I am not at home coupled with fantastic battery life.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lightroom CC on a clean El Capitan install is hosed currently (I think it's a permissions issue). Lightroom 5 is okay, though.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Try reinstalling, I've had to do that for a couple of CS 6 apps and a BOINC project, also running El Capitan GM Candidate.

It sure feels... smooth, not quite snappy. That pastel rainbow wheel spooked me for a second.. IMHO we're back to Mavericks snappy.

Gonna see how well it works on a 2 GB MBA from 2010.. not expecting too much though, and then I gotta deal with trimforce and an OWC SSD drive..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 11, 2015

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh god now I'm seriously loving confused, I definitely downloaded the "Install OS X 10.11 Developer Beta" from the Mac App store and used Terminal to create an USB install (because I wanted to do a clean one) but now the App Store is downloading and installing El Capitan beta 2 and now beta 3... what is going on here?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

You installed Beta 1. Congratulations. You should have downloaded "GM Candidate" from the App Store.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

You installed Beta 1. Congratulations. You should have downloaded "GM Candidate" from the App Store.

But.. But... I thought...

Goddamn it I have no idea how that happened.

Guess I'm reinstalling OS X for the third time today!

...maybe Lightroom CC will be working again.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I did that on a dev machine somehow on accident during beta 6 or 7 and was back on beta 1. When I was using it, I thought man, Apple needs to get their poo poo together, this poo poo is still really glitchy after 6 betas lol

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 11, 2015

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm still confused, the beta version of El Capitan doesn't even show up in my Purchase history (though it should, since I was on the beta versions) and the process to get the GM to show up in the Purchase section was exactly what I did the first time (down to the redemption code already having been used). Obviously Apple's servers glitched and downloaded the wrong thing, and I am not an idiot who fails basic reading comprehension. :colbert:

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Djarum posted:

Yeah I dislike the idea of a single port for everything. I especially dislike the idea of getting rid of the MagSafe power. I swear having the MagSafe adaptor has saved my rear end more times than I can count.

A single port is definitely needlessly limiting, but I think there are valid reasons to get rid of MagSafe. First, for long term use its been the least reliable type of power adapter I've ever used. At this point, using two different cables, if the thing isn't in the port just right it won't actually charge the battery. In the ~17ish years since I got my first laptop, I've never had a barrel type of adapter with that issue. Second, the major appeal of MagSafe, not damaging anything if something tugs the cable the wrong way, has limited utility in a world where a laptop gets 10+ hours of battery life. Charge it overnight in a safe spot, use it all day, no worries. Personally, I'm glad that it looks like Apple is moving away from proprietary connectors moving forward.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I bet it is harder to make it work on a device that weighs less than 2 pounds, considering it needs to disconnect for a tug, but not a hard enough tug that would cause the laptop to fly away.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

TopherCStone posted:

A single port is definitely needlessly limiting, but I think there are valid reasons to get rid of MagSafe. First, for long term use its been the least reliable type of power adapter I've ever used. At this point, using two different cables, if the thing isn't in the port just right it won't actually charge the battery. In the ~17ish years since I got my first laptop, I've never had a barrel type of adapter with that issue. Second, the major appeal of MagSafe, not damaging anything if something tugs the cable the wrong way, has limited utility in a world where a laptop gets 10+ hours of battery life. Charge it overnight in a safe spot, use it all day, no worries. Personally, I'm glad that it looks like Apple is moving away from proprietary connectors moving forward.

I have heard that as a major complaint in the MagSafe 1 connectors but in the MagSafe 2 I have never had a issue with it not making a solid connection. Although that is in my experience. And yes you do get 10ish hours doing low power tasks like basic web surfing and the like but if you do anything that actually uses the processors and/or makes the fan spin up your 10 hours turns into less than 2. I imagine in the higher end MacBooks it is a bigger issue. As someone that has had to repair/replace a lot of laptop power jacks over the years it is nice owning a machine that for once I don't have to worry about that part.

Personally I think that new MacBook is one of those one off Apple proof of concept machines that they come out with from time to time. It is a lot easier for them to test the waters of new types of hardware with a new machine that if it flops they aren't having to step back with things on their main lines.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I've never had issues with Magsafe 1 or 2 connectors making good connections, except for one time when a small piece of metal chipped off and lodged itself between the connector and the contact. Of course because it's magnetic, I couldn't get that piece out of the socket until I got a pushpin to slowly drag it out :v:

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
I installed the GM, after getting an email invite from Apple, and I can't get the Split View feature to work now. Is this happening to anybody else?
Did Apple remove it because it was kinda wonky?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I got it to work with Safari and Mail, but it's cumbersome as hell — is there a sensible way to do it, or are you really meant to drag a bunch of windows around in mission control?

Also, it seems to not work if you cannot fullscreen the application. For example, my twitter client cannot be used with that split window mode, because it doesn't have a fullscreen mode. But that makes sense, since all split view seems to be is "fullscreen mode, but with two apps now!" Also, when you undo it by clicking the zoom/fullscreen button in one application, it only puts that application back — the remaining program is still fullscreen in its own Space.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Goddamn motherfucking hell Apple, CAN YOU FOR ONCE NOT gently caress UP MAIL?

Installed El Capitan GM, launched Mail. Shows database upgrade window... hits 99% and window disappears, only to reappear and start over again. On completion, Mail opens and I'm presented with no accounts and no mail.

I've restored my Mail folder from backup and tried again three times now.

Time to wipe and reinstall Yosemite. Fuuuuck.

:argh: :bang: :suicide:

Edit:
Decided to delete all Mail files and settings and start from scratch because I really don't want to reinstall. My 6 IMAP accounts are up and working, set everything up how I like it again, etc. But when I try to import the .mbox folders containing my local mail, Mail finishes instantly and nothing shows up. :emo:

Edit 2: Still no luck with importing the local mail; neither "import from Apple Mail" nor "import from mbox" options succeed at actually importing the .mbox folder from Yosemite Mail. Of course. Just dumping the .mbox into ~/Library/Mail/V3/[local mail folder]/ didn't work (Mail doesn't see it), but I've removed all the Envelope Index files and relaunched Mail and it is currently attempting to rebuild the indexes. Fingers crossed this will actually work...

Edit 3: All the mailboxes show up in the sidebar, but only half of them actually contain the mail they should. The rest are empty. Why oh why...

Edit 4: I tried again, and this time everything seems intact on rebuild. Hooray. It just works!

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Sep 11, 2015

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

lelandjs posted:

Lightroom CC on a clean El Capitan install is hosed currently (I think it's a permissions issue). Lightroom 5 is okay, though.

Adobe just puking Creative Cloud all over your file system is half the reason I cancelled my CC subscription.

e: You okay, iTunes?

El Cap GM, if it's any help.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 11, 2015

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

Just realized the iTunes album art screensaver built in with El Capitan doesn't support Apple Music. It just shows the 2-3 albums I had on my mac before I switched to AM :shrug:

Like, it's such a minor thing but you'd think they would have at least fixed that for GM.

Edit: also yes you can install GM over the beta, no actual issues so far.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

robodex posted:

Just realized the iTunes album art screensaver built in with El Capitan doesn't support Apple Music. It just shows the 2-3 albums I had on my mac before I switched to AM :shrug:

Like, it's such a minor thing but you'd think they would have at least fixed that for GM.

Edit: also yes you can install GM over the beta, no actual issues so far.

iTunes updates are separate from OS updates. The current version of iTunes on my El Cap GM is 12.2.25, which was released last month.

It should be fixed by Wednesday...

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I'm not sure if this is a question for this thread, the hardware thread, or the monitor thread, but here goes..

Has anyone with a 4k monitor had any success activating HiDPI resolutions on their Mac? When plugged into my Macbook Pro, I'm only able to choose between 3840 x 2160 or 1080p. The former is just a bit too hi-res to work on, so ideally i'd like to scale down to like 2880x1620 or something like that, but I just cannot get OS X to offer that as a HiDPI choice. I've tried creating a scaled resolution in SwitchResX, and it seems like it should work, but the new resolution just doesn't show up on the Display syspref panel.

Anyone encountered an issue like this?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Zartans Lady Mask posted:

I'm not sure if this is a question for this thread, the hardware thread, or the monitor thread, but here goes..

Has anyone with a 4k monitor had any success activating HiDPI resolutions on their Mac? When plugged into my Macbook Pro, I'm only able to choose between 3840 x 2160 or 1080p. The former is just a bit too hi-res to work on, so ideally i'd like to scale down to like 2880x1620 or something like that, but I just cannot get OS X to offer that as a HiDPI choice. I've tried creating a scaled resolution in SwitchResX, and it seems like it should work, but the new resolution just doesn't show up on the Display syspref panel.

Anyone encountered an issue like this?

What is the 4K monitor you're trying to use and what is the model of your Macbook (e.g. Retina Mid-2012)?

edit: Oh! You do support 4K out, but what's the monitor just out of curiosity?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Are there any other multi-protocol IM clients other than Adium? It keeps crashing on me for who knows what reasons. I liked Trillian in Windows cause it had better news feed support, which made Twitter more browseable, plus it had a secret hack to get Skype working in it despite skypekit being discontinued. Apparently Trillian is a POS on Macs though. Anything like that for OS X?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

dragon enthusiast posted:

Are there any other multi-protocol IM clients other than Adium? It keeps crashing on me for who knows what reasons. I liked Trillian in Windows cause it had better news feed support, which made Twitter more browseable, plus it had a secret hack to get Skype working in it despite skypekit being discontinued. Apparently Trillian is a POS on Macs though. Anything like that for OS X?

I use macports for irssi and bitlbee. This is obviously not the preferential answer for everybody, but in case you weren't aware of this being a thing.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Hm, I use weechat for IRC, TweetDeck for Twitter, and Goofy for Facebook Messenger. Haven't felt the need for a multi-protocol client in a while, since those three applications are fairly lightweight IMO, and are fairly specialized - I can't see myself using an IM client for Twitter or for IRC.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Trillian basically designed completely new UI for its Twitter functionality. I think Adium uses the libpurple Twitter extension which routes timeline functionality through the regular messaging UI, and it's really ugly as a result. If there's nothing better I guess I'll download Tweetdeck.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

crazysim posted:

What is the 4K monitor you're trying to use and what is the model of your Macbook (e.g. Retina Mid-2012)?

edit: Oh! You do support 4K out, but what's the monitor just out of curiosity?

It's an Acer B286HK. Pretty much as basic a 4k screen as you can find, but it's awesome for non-gaming purposes.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I have a hankering for playing the older titles, namely Civilizations I and II and looking for a way to do so. Google found sites recommend sheep shaver but I cannot for the life of me get it to run in El Capitan.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
What the gently caress is wrong with Knowledge Base?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah, it looks like all Apple Support static pages are hosed for me.. if you use Safari in Yosemite 10.10.5.

For example, try this page about installing Windows 10 in Boot Cramp: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204990

Works fine for me in Googoo Chrome and Firefox though. C'mon Apple! Support your own loving browser.

Fake edit: it's not AdBlock or uBlock/uBlock Origins either.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Working for me in Safari, El Capitan GM.