Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Fart of Presto posted:

Yeah it's been going like that for at least 24 hours. It's almost as if someone is angry about something and DDoS'ing Steam.

lol, dota 2 players are all crazy:

Plays game for 11 thousand hours: "No, I don't like it! :mad:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Gerblyn posted:

Well valve just released a big overhaul called reborn so that's what they're up in arms about, I guess. The game they've been playing for 5000 hours was just changed a while bunch.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

RIP Steam, you served us well.

Also, this coincidentally lines up with a recent fight I had with my loony bin sister over government conspiracies and the attack on Christianity and blah blah blah so obviously the illuminati is DDoSing Steam.

That is all thanks for reading.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Cactus posted:

Just watched the Worth a Buy for that new metal gear game. hoooo boy....

I have not played a single Metal Gear Solid game so I don't even have any stake in this, but that video's pretty hilarious. And the response is probably equally hilarious but I'm not reading YouTube comments.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

That's normal talk for a lot of Dota players.

I'm not even kidding.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
DOTA players have the most deadly strain of AIDS.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

mutata posted:

Well valve just released a big overhaul called reborn so that's what they're up in arms about, I guess. The game they've been playing for 5000 hours was just changed a while bunch.

Even that number 5000 is insane though, there are only 8760 hours in a year for fucks sake.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Gerblyn posted:

Steam Thread: WHY VOLVO

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
They forcibly moved all the players to a really unstable server that introduced a ton of bugs and random crashes. The game's become completely unplayable for a lot of people because they're basically guinea pigs for Source 2.
Doesn't justify the poo poo they do but imagine this is a small scale Paid Mods scandal.

HGH fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 13, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gerblyn posted:

Personally I'm ok with all these negative reviews because it lets people know right off the bat that dota 2 is an awful game played by lovely babies.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I actually love the game Dota 2 and played it for ~150 hours or so but I quit because the community is the most toxic piece of trash I've ever had the misfortune of witnessing. Play it with friends but otherwise avoid.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mutata posted:

So what's the general gist of the changes made for those of us in the peanut gallery? General tweaks, or "Character X plays like Style Y now, accept it."? Just wondering what lit the powderkeg.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So what's the general gist of the changes made for those of us in the peanut gallery? General tweaks, or "Character X plays like Style Y now, accept it."? Just wondering what lit the powderkeg.
Somewhere in the twitter link above it's mentioned that replays don't work.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They completely replaced the game engine with one that's not a decade old. Evidently it needs some kinks ironed out.

Endrion
Feb 28, 2006
We love Friend Computer!
There are actually some decent deals on this weekend and I have disposable income, so it's time for another round of "Is it any good?". I have heard a lot of reasonably good things about DB:Xenoverse, chiefly in the "It embraces its stupid" kind of way, and have been itching for a decent fighterlike, so question one is, from those who have played it, does it live up to the hype?
Question 2... I'm not even going to bother asking if Witcher 3 is decent, I know it would be right up my alley. Unfortunately, I didn't have any cash when it was first out or last reasonably on sale, so Instead, a slightly stupider question. I can run things like Phantom Pain with absolutely no issue, but most of the benchmarking things I've tried say I shouldn't be able to run this. I know it's meant to be pretty demanding on the old gpu, but knowing I can manage Pahntom Pain, AC Unity, etc... would I be able to manage it? I don't want super graphics, I just want "Works".

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Pretty ballsy for treating the playerbase of one of your biggest cash cows as guinea pigs.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Ekster posted:

Pretty ballsy for treating the playerbase of one of your biggest cash cows as guinea pigs.

Were you just hiding under a rock for the lifetime of TF2?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ekster posted:

It's really strange to me because for TF2 they created a whole separate version of the game on Steam, specifically for testing out new item tweaks and engine changes... but they didn't do that same thing for dota even though it would have been really easy to.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Keeshhound posted:

Were you just hiding under a rock for the lifetime of TF2?

I've only played it for like 3 matches total so the only thing I know about it is that it has a lot of hats.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

CJacobs posted:

It's really strange to me because for TF2 they created a whole separate version of the game on Steam, specifically for testing out new item tweaks and engine changes... but they didn't do that same thing for dota even though it would have been really easy to.
They actually did make it available for separate testing back in June, with a bloody big icon in the client advertising its existence and encouraging you to download and play it.

The latest patch turned off the old Source1 client and went to Reborn full-time, resulting in way, way more eyes being on it then when it was an optional beta. And more eyes means more people finding bugs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Kins posted:

They completely replaced the game engine with one that's not a decade old. Evidently it needs some kinks ironed out.

Ekster posted:

CJacobs posted:

Oh, wow. You'd think they'd have the forethought to use some of what must be a shitload of cash to knock out a beta version for people to break for a few weeks. Especially with a playerbase that vast and toxic.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh, wow. You'd think they'd have the forethought to use some of what must be a shitload of cash to knock out a beta version for people to break for a few weeks. Especially with a playerbase that vast and toxic.
They did. It was up for months. There was a huge button for it that nobody clicked because nobody willingly uses beta clients.

Korhal
Aug 9, 2007
Chaos and evolution, baby.
People are angry over change and will never play DOTA again, until the new patch hits and they all crawl back to Valve because the alternative is that they don't play DOTA.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
player rankings dont carry over to the beta client so trying to play on it tends to result in really unsatisfying pub stomps

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

CJacobs posted:

It's really strange to me because for TF2 they created a whole separate version of the game on Steam, specifically for testing out new item tweaks and engine changes... and then abandoned it within a few months and introduced all further changes directly into the main game

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Test servers don't really work unless people can play with new content before it's officially released. There is just a select few who care about stuff like balance changes and client stuff.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

That too.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

dota players deserve whatever happens to them

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What do Marc Laidlaw and Erik Wolpaw do all day, they certainly haven't had to write any story or dialogue for games for half a decade

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Average Bear posted:

DOTA players have the most deadly strain of AIDS.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What do Marc Laidlaw and Erik Wolpaw do all day, they certainly haven't had to write any story or dialogue for games for half a decade
Team Fortress Comics, Dota 2 hero quotes, concepts for Steam sale mascot scenes...

Actually, they probably just jerk off all day.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Deakul posted:

Well, he's pretty wrong in every conceivable way!

Actually, he's fairly bang on. MGS5 is gonna be one of these games that will get more negative reviews once new game gleam wears off and the rabid fanbase fucks off to whatever they're playing next.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

HGH posted:

They forcibly moved all the players to a really unstable server that introduced a ton of bugs and random crashes. The game's become completely unplayable for a lot of people because they're basically guinea pigs for Source 2.
Doesn't justify the poo poo they do but imagine this is a small scale Paid Mods scandal.

a punishment much less severe than dota2 players deserve

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Kin posted:

Actually, he's fairly bang on. MGS5 is gonna be one of these games that will get more negative reviews once new game gleam wears off and the rabid fanbase fucks off to whatever they're playing next.

I can probably agree that the world could use more activity in it but it's fun for what it is, a playground for you to do missions in and I'd say it excels wonderfully at that.
Braindead AI? Yeah, no, not really... like at all. It's probably some of the best AI in a stealth game I've seen in years and it's adaptive on top of that.
Grindy missions? Sure, I guess, don't really care though because they're fun as gently caress and you can try different approaches every time.

hth :)

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Deakul posted:

I can probably agree that the world could use more activity in it but it's fun for what it is, a playground for you to do missions in and I'd say it excels wonderfully at that.
Braindead AI? Yeah, no, not really... like at all. It's probably some of the best AI in a stealth game I've seen in years and it's adaptive on top of that.
Grindy missions? Sure, I guess, don't really care though because they're fun as gently caress and you can try different approaches every time.

hth :)

The AI is pretty braindead. An enemy should not have to walk up to within 5 feet of me when I'm crouched down wearing camo better suited for night in the middle of the day before he spots me. I mean, some enemy units do have much better vision but your basic dudes in the field are extremely braindead.

It's a downgrade from the AI in MGS 3 and 4 and only a bit better than Peace Walker's AI but at least that game had the excuse of being on a handheld.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Kin posted:

From people that have an axe to grind, sure. The game has its share of problems, a few wonky mechanics, a disjointed and unfinished story, a disappointing back half and some grinding. But even acknowledging that it's still kind of an incredible game.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Kin posted:

Source your quotes.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
mgs5 suffers from the same things all open world games suffer from which is a lot of filler to extend the length of the game and a lot of dead space to justify 'open world'.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It's a downgrade from the AI in MGS 3 and 4

You're joking, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm just glad we're hitting this point of MGS5's life on SA in 2 weeks instead of 2 months so we can get it over with.

• Locked thread