Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
heh my son drew a bird and the legs came out the wings it was inspirational

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

cool bird pic :)

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
cool. very "amiga game from 1992" i think.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:smugmrgw: thanks
it didn't turn out exactly how I wanted but welp it took like 6 hours to render not gon throw that away

drat I need a bad rear end processor

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
that's the kind of thing you do at the compositing stage, so you can tweak it without having to wait hours for the result

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

echi have you tried making something that looks like aerogel

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

echinopsis posted:

:smugmrgw: thanks
it didn't turn out exactly how I wanted but welp it took like 6 hours to render not gon throw that away

drat I need a bad rear end processor

have you considered AWS or something like that

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

that's the kind of thing you do at the compositing stage, so you can tweak it without having to wait hours for the result

it's a good point but it was the transition at the start and end which isn't apparent until I rendered all 120 frames :] I tweak like made before I hit animation render and go to the sack

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Storysmith posted:

have you considered AWS or something like that

eh that's seems like giving money to amazon? I've thought about it but I do this poo poo for fun :/

pram
Jun 10, 2001
*jeff bezos walks away disappointed w/ his hands in his pockets *

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
pulls his pockets inside out and moths fly out

if only

pram
Jun 10, 2001

echinopsis posted:

pulls his pockets inside out and moths fly out

if only

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

echi have you tried making something that looks like aerogel

well i end up with poo poo looking like aerogel all the time by accident.

heres me fiddling

a small amount of absorbtion only, no scattering. light enters this and it has a chance of being absorbed (at a wavelength that leaves blue behind) or going through

then I increased the amount

then I adeded scattering. light has a chance of hitting the object and scattering

then I increased the scale at which this happens

without scattering it looks a little dead but at some point that last one has too much scattering. and I didnt leave these for long clearly

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
cool

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lately ive loved loving around with the glossy transclucent shader

it has a diffuse colour function, obvious perhaps, a specular colour function, controlling the colour of the reflections, control over the roughness, and then a transmission colour which lets lght enter it, and then the volumetric scattering takes over basically

its a large combination of values that allows you to make all sorts of pointless poo poo

those top white bits? if they were matte they would be dull. getting that volumetric sdhading in there to make them look foamy/rubbery is key to ~my aesthetic~lmaop

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:smugmrgw:

added a surface too it. looks convincingly not opaque

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
horse poo poo next to echi's stuff, but i've been working on implementing graphics primitives in a functional fashion. the most presentable thing i've gotten so far is this zoom-in of an anti-aliased sine wave. it generates a list of vectors, creates a 2d-histogram of how many vectors lay inside a pixel, then colors pixels with more hits a darker color. finally it writes that info directly out as a bmp :smugmrgw:

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

pretty nerdy

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
yeah you're right, not the right thread. should've saved it till its to the point the art stuff i want to do with it is ready

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
No, it's fine and a cool idea.

this thread is for constructive criticism, circle jerking, and general positivity.

anyone who doesn't like it can take their negativity and gently caress the hell off.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

event driven simulation is gay

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
"pretty nerdy" is a compliment

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Barnyard Protein posted:

horse poo poo next to echi's stuff, but i've been working on implementing graphics primitives in a functional fashion. the most presentable thing i've gotten so far is this zoom-in of an anti-aliased sine wave. it generates a list of vectors, creates a 2d-histogram of how many vectors lay inside a pixel, then colors pixels with more hits a darker color. finally it writes that info directly out as a bmp :smugmrgw:

is that racket

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
also I want to make a new personal website just to hire echinopsis to make a logo for it

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Symbolic Butt posted:

also I want to make a new personal website just to hire echinopsis to make a logo for it

you'd have to call it 'rodtronics' tho

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Barnyard Protein posted:

poo poo man this is cool. sine waves were my heroin when i was a little bit younger. show us more!

Symbolic Butt posted:

your new website had better be named rodtronics

e:f;b

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 14, 2015

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

now imgur requires an extras click to get these

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Mr. Nopsis, I represent a new tabletop gaming company and I believe you can help us with our logo and branding

we are called Gelatinous Cube

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I didnt make this but I thought it was cool and yospos'ee http://wavepot.com/stagas/paranoia

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Render the Katamari.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Mr. Nopsis, I represent a new tabletop gaming company and I believe you can help us with our logo and branding

we are called Gelatinous Cube

I believe out vision is aligned

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

My company is called Turd Falling Out of a Man's rear end.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what kind of logo do you need

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

KoRMaK posted:

I didnt make this but I thought it was cool and yospos'ee http://wavepot.com/stagas/paranoia

neat. this is the first javascript synth thing that sounds decent

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
eh didnt turn out that cool

and soi much noise

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Sep 15, 2015

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

wayfinder posted:

"pretty nerdy" is a compliment

its true

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Dear thread, I am rendering an animation for you.

Here is a one frame preview while it takes forever to finish:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

echinopsis posted:

eh didnt turn out that cool

and soi much noise

New illumanti symbol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
thanks guys. the logical part of my brain knew that 'nerd' was meant in a positive way, but it seems like it still triggers some overwhelming diffidence

Symbolic Butt posted:

is that racket

yeah i'm using Dr Racket, but the code is in r6rs scheme, thinking of moving to racket or typed/racket so that i can have more libraries to work with.

• Locked thread