Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Why is it that I can order the phone through ATT's website and keep my unlimited everything plan, not pay the $15 upgrade fee, and still pay only $99 for AppleCare? Have I found some glitch in the system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

suddenlyissoon posted:

Why is it that I can order the phone through ATT's website and keep my unlimited everything plan, not pay the $15 upgrade fee, and still pay only $99 for AppleCare? Have I found some glitch in the system?

Upgrade fee is $45

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

gohmak posted:

Upgrade fee is $45

Apple's website popped up that there was an additional, one time $15 fee on my next ATT bill. Going through the checkout at ATT there is no mention of it and the only thing said is that upgrade fees are waived.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Looks like I'm hosed on my friend's spare ATT 5S.

I'm doing some research and finding conflicting information all over the place. It's impossible to use a Verizon 4S on ATT, right? Like no possible way? Some sites say the phone has capabilities to run on either network, some sites say once it's been activated on a network, it won't be able to run on a different one. Blablabla. What's the real deal?

e: this page gives me hope, but I'm not sure how accurate it is.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 13, 2015

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

I have to get something tomorrow.

Why not get a trackfone or something for the twelve days until the 6s ships? Can you seriously not live without a smartphone for twelve days?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

ethanol posted:

Why not get a trackfone or something for the twelve days until the 6s ships? Can you seriously not live without a smartphone for twelve days?

And have his friends associate him with green bubbles? You are a sick gently caress.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I need to be able to get my email for work, so yeah, gotta be a smartphone. I found a 5S for $200 - I might just use that until the battery becomes completely unacceptable, and then go from there.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
go to craigslist's free section and ask someone for their iphone 4, use that for a bit, get a 6s later. just swap the sims later

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
If I purchase my phone through Apple (not sure if it'll be their payment plan or outright yet but I've got a 64gig 6s reserved in-store) am I going to have to pay Verizon an upgrade fee and/or will it mess with our current plan? I'll be going from a 5 to a 6s.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

suddenlyissoon posted:

Apple's website popped up that there was an additional, one time $15 fee on my next ATT bill. Going through the checkout at ATT there is no mention of it and the only thing said is that upgrade fees are waived.

ATT charges a $15 upgrade fee with phone purchases on Next, and $45 on a two year contract.

Some company discounts waive both fees, so that could be a reason why it isn't listed there. Another possibility is sometimes the fee is waived online, but not in store.

GobiasIndustries posted:

If I purchase my phone through Apple (not sure if it'll be their payment plan or outright yet but I've got a 64gig 6s reserved in-store) am I going to have to pay Verizon an upgrade fee and/or will it mess with our current plan? I'll be going from a 5 to a 6s.

It should be just pop Verizon SIM card into new plan, plan and stuff stays the same. To Verizon you are essentially bringing your own device, so no fee.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.
Why am I forced to pay an upgrade fee to ATT if I'm trying to buy a 6s at full price via Apple website? I just want to buy the ATT version with band 30 at full price with no changes to my existing contract. I am currently using a factory unlocked 6 purchased from an Apple Store.

Do I really have to login to verify my ATT eligibility or is it possible to just buy the hardware only?

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
What's the best way to figure out what is taking up space. I am in 16GB iPhone 6 hell and was just checking how much space I had available with iOS 9 coming. I ha less than a gig available so I deleted all my pictures (use google photos), deleted them again in recently deleted, deleted some attachments in Messages. Now says Used 9.5 GB and Available 2.4 GB. I manually added up all the app sizes in the Storage list and it came to roughly 5.8 GB. Where is the other 3?

I have a Windows PC and laptop so no Mac unfortunately if there is something that is Mac only.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

CancerStick posted:

What's the best way to figure out what is taking up space. I am in 16GB iPhone 6 hell and was just checking how much space I had available with iOS 9 coming. I ha less than a gig available so I deleted all my pictures (use google photos), deleted them again in recently deleted, deleted some attachments in Messages. Now says Used 9.5 GB and Available 2.4 GB. I manually added up all the app sizes in the Storage list and it came to roughly 5.8 GB. Where is the other 3?

I have a Windows PC and laptop so no Mac unfortunately if there is something that is Mac only.

Do you use Apple music? Might be big rear end cache files.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

voltron posted:

Why am I forced to pay an upgrade fee to ATT if I'm trying to buy a 6s at full price via Apple website? I just want to buy the ATT version with band 30 at full price with no changes to my existing contract. I am currently using a factory unlocked 6 purchased from an Apple Store.

Do I really have to login to verify my ATT eligibility or is it possible to just buy the hardware only?

Just buy the no-contract one if you're paying full price, then swap in your SIM. If previous generations are any indication, the one without Band 30 will be Sprint's special snowflake model, while then one with it will be AT&T/T-Mobile/Verizon.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

Endless Mike posted:

Just buy the no-contract one if you're paying full price, then swap in your SIM. If previous generations are any indication, the one without Band 30 will be Sprint's special snowflake model, while then one with it will be AT&T/T-Mobile/Verizon.

Other way around this time. Band 30 one is AT&T's special snowflake and everyone else has the other one.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

bronin posted:

Do you use Apple music? Might be big rear end cache files.

Is cache not "Documents and Data"?

I used Apple Music a little bit when it was first released to see if I liked it more than Google's. I checked it was only one song which I deleted and now it says Apple Music has no data. The only media apps that I use are Googe Play (27.1 MB app size, 379 D&D) and PocketCasts (12.0MB app size, 280 D&D). I assumed D&D was cache as I have nothing saved locally in Google Play and a few podcasts I have the newest podcast download.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

voltron posted:

That's my problem too. I went to ATT's website and couldn't find any indication when checking out that I would be charged an upgrade fee. Additionally, you can just order the unactivated device through Best Buy, then swap the sim.

Weirdly enough, ATT's AppleCare+ was only $99 and Best Buy gives the option of $7 a month.

I'm going to leave my ATT & Apple orders open until at least Wednesday. At that point I can add my Discover card to Apple Pay and get 10% back, then possibly double that due to a promotion I'm on. If that's the case then I'll order ANOTHER phone through Best Buy app using Apple Pay (as long as I can get it at launch day) and get a lot of money back.

suddenlyissoon fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 13, 2015

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

I guess this confirms the 2GB of ram in the 6s
http://www.macrumors.com/2015/09/13/xcode-iphone-6s-2gb-ram-ipad-pro-4gb-ram/

voltron
Nov 26, 2000

suddenlyissoon posted:

That's my problem too. I went to ATT's website and couldn't find any indication when checking out that I would be charged an upgrade fee. Additionally, you can just order the unactivated device through Best Buy, then swap the sim.

Weirdly enough, ATT's AppleCare+ was only $99 and Best Buy gives the option of $7 a month.

I'm going to leave my ATT & Apple orders open until at least Wednesday. At that point I can add my Discover card to Apple Pay and get 10% back, then possibly double that due to a promotion I'm on. If that's the case then I'll order ANOTHER phone through Best Buy app using Apple Pay (as long as I can get it at launch day) and get a lot of money back.

Wait. Can you explain the Discover Apple pay thing? That's intriguing. Edit. Just googled it. This is amazing. 20% off a phone!!

I'm not in a rush but was just curious why I couldn't buy exactly what I wanted. Oh well.

voltron fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 13, 2015

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

CancerStick posted:

Is cache not "Documents and Data"?

I used Apple Music a little bit when it was first released to see if I liked it more than Google's. I checked it was only one song which I deleted and now it says Apple Music has no data. The only media apps that I use are Googe Play (27.1 MB app size, 379 D&D) and PocketCasts (12.0MB app size, 280 D&D). I assumed D&D was cache as I have nothing saved locally in Google Play and a few podcasts I have the newest podcast download.

You could always try to make a backup and factory reset I guess.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Asking about the iOS 9 GM .IPSW is considered :filez:, right? I've got a boring Sunday to fill and little babby doesn't want to wait until Wednesday to update, but I don't wanna cause and waves...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you google it you will find it.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

In the apple app it gives an option to buy a "contract free iPhone" but it only gives the option for TMobile. This is the unlocked model, right? I can just put my ATT sim in and go, right?

voltron posted:

Wait. Can you explain the Discover Apple pay thing? That's intriguing. Edit. Just googled it. This is amazing. 20% off a phone!!

I'm not in a rush but was just curious why I couldn't buy exactly what I wanted. Oh well.

Apparently it's in-store only purchases. See if you can find a local Apple Store to pick up through. My store only had reservations for the contract free option

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

bronin posted:

You could always try to make a backup and factory reset I guess.

Probably my next plan. Probably go ahead and do that when 9 comes on Wednesday.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000

suddenlyissoon posted:

In the apple app it gives an option to buy a "contract free iPhone" but it only gives the option for TMobile. This is the unlocked model, right? I can just put my ATT sim in and go, right?

Apparently it's in-store only purchases. See if you can find a local Apple Store to pick up through. My store only had reservations for the contract free option

My understanding is that this version does not have LTE band 30. It sounds like the ATT version is locked, but contains this exclusive band. I'm just trying to future proof. Not even sure if ATT plans to support band 30.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's interesting actually. I figure I'll only have this a year since I'm getting the iPhone upgrade so if I'm fine without it now, I should be fine without it for a year.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Bought a used 5s locally for a decent price ($250). Not at all familiar with iOS devices, so after throwing my SIM in and making sure it provisioned, I went on my merry way. Get home, and after about 60 seconds of use I discovered that it had a (very poorly done) screen replacement at some point in its life, complete with non-functioning Touch ID and sticky home button. I was pretty pissed, but I could deal with it...except the proximity sensor is totally, utterly borked, making it useless as a phone.

I popped it open to take a look, but I'm far from an expert at phone repairs, and unless it is something simple I'm just going to accept the consequences of my stupidity and take my losses. Is there any place that will buy back something like this? It looks like Gazelle will give me $55 for it. I thought I heard something about Apple doing out of warranty repairs for like $250 though? In that case, I might be tempted to keep it to use as a backup.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

No chance of taking it back to the guy you got it from? That's dodgy as hell.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I work at a cell phone repair shop and we charge $129.99 for screen repair (which would fix the proximity sensor issue) and then like $70 or $80 for the home button since it's an entire piece.

It's generally not easy, but if you wanted, I could check the prices, see what kinda deal I can get since I work there, then if you wanted, you could send it in and then I'd fix it up and send it back

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

noirstronaut posted:

I work at a cell phone repair shop and we charge $129.99 for screen repair (which would fix the proximity sensor issue) and then like $70 or $80 for the home button since it's an entire piece.

It's generally not easy, but if you wanted, I could check the prices, see what kinda deal I can get since I work there, then if you wanted, you could send it in and then I'd fix it up and send it back

I don't even care about Touch ID - if the home button can be salvaged (it seems like it is just misaligned, since it physically catches the edge of the screen), but $129.99 would be reasonable.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Nope. No reply to email, and no real name attached to it. :saddowns: I haven't bought anything from Craigslist lately, and let myself get complacent.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Shoulda waited.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don't think I'd trust anyone other than Apple or Apple Certified to do a screen swap. My housemate could tell one that hadn't been done properly in an instant, it's just not worth it.

One friend got super lucky - he has a 3rd party do it, they of course hosed it up, then went to Apple with an unrelated issue and found out he knew the guy on bar and they got chatting and didn't pay too much attention to the handset. He didn't do a proper check on the phone and swapped it out for a refurb without charge.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Best car clip thing? And is it possible to buy one that doubles as a charging dock with line out that I can double use with an aux cable

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Shoulda waited.

Seriously I cant believe he paid $250 for a broken 5s. Must be some mission critical emails

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

noirstronaut posted:

Best car clip thing? And is it possible to buy one that doubles as a charging dock with line out that I can double use with an aux cable

I like the stuff from proclip. It gets wedded into the seams between dashboard panels so they are very sturdy. I have one with a magnet mount. It comes with a small sheet of metal to put between the back of my phone and a case and I just pop my phone out of my pocket and on to the mount.

It holds out perfectly and doesn't vibrate like vent mounts and CD slot mounts do, and isn't stuck to the windshield like suction cup mounts. It's completely removable afterwards and you don't have to cut anything.

For the fiesta I just had to pry up a panel at the seam and slip it under. For the FR-S it was even easier. I just unclipped a panel, slid the mounting bracket over the edge of the panel, and clipped the panel back in.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

IuniusBrutus posted:

Bought a used 5s locally for a decent price ($250). Not at all familiar with iOS devices, so after throwing my SIM in and making sure it provisioned, I went on my merry way. Get home, and after about 60 seconds of use I discovered that it had a (very poorly done) screen replacement at some point in its life, complete with non-functioning Touch ID and sticky home button. I was pretty pissed, but I could deal with it...except the proximity sensor is totally, utterly borked, making it useless as a phone.

I popped it open to take a look, but I'm far from an expert at phone repairs, and unless it is something simple I'm just going to accept the consequences of my stupidity and take my losses. Is there any place that will buy back something like this? It looks like Gazelle will give me $55 for it. I thought I heard something about Apple doing out of warranty repairs for like $250 though? In that case, I might be tempted to keep it to use as a backup.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

A 5s? Have you heard of a little country called north korea? It'll be a lot like living there.

Literally like North Korea.

EL BROMANCE posted:

What world do you live in where you think you can return things bought from strangers on Craigslist?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Boris Galerkin posted:

What world do you live in where you think you can return things bought from strangers on Craigslist?

He didn't say it was Craigslist until a follow up post.

And aren't a lot of Craigslist deals done at houses? I've always done that at the equivalent here. Maybe it was a public place, maybe the dude was built like a linebacker. Sucks he got ripped off though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

GutBomb posted:

For the fiesta I just had to pry up a panel at the seam and slip it under. For the FR-S it was even easier. I just unclipped a panel, slid the mounting bracket over the edge of the panel, and clipped the panel back in.
I didn't even have to do this on my FR-S. It just snaps into place between a panel and an AC vent.

That said, I don't think Proclip offers a mount that does quite what he's asking, but I might be wrong.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

EL BROMANCE posted:

He didn't say it was Craigslist until a follow up post.

And aren't a lot of Craigslist deals done at houses? I've always done that at the equivalent here. Maybe it was a public place, maybe the dude was built like a linebacker. Sucks he got ripped off though.

You're insane if you let some CL mouth breather know your home address. Meet at a public location every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I guess it's a different level of crazy over the pond. I've never had issues with people over here, but the worst I've ever dealt with here are dumbasses rather than crazies loaded to the teeth.