Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Rhyno posted:

Have they worked out some sort of telepresence robot arm thing so you can jerk people off over the internet yet?

:nws: The future is a frightening one :nws:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Adiabatic posted:

Doing homework in a recently cleaned house while the new girlfriend does lesson plans. It's a good life.

Wait... what did you do the the old girlfriend?

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

meatpimp posted:

Back garden, dont tell

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

meatpimp posted:

Would ya just look at all that space...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

So I was just involved in a minor traffic accident (accident my rear end, she sideswiped me deliberately), and the other driver was apparently in a real big hurry :rolleyes:, so she only hastily gave me her phone number and the city she lives in.

The phone number points to some dude in a city like 50km away in the opposite direction of the city she claims to live in. What a loving surprise.

At least I got the plate number on my dashcam, unfortunately the actual footage cannot legally be used for anything here.

So I've submitted everything to the insurance company, including the fact that she gave lovely information (I gave her my address, phone number, insurance company etc.) and basically blamed me. I was in my lane, she tried to overtake in the oncoming lane and across blocking lines, and she drove into the side of my car to avoid hitting the traffic lights.

Now I'm wondering whether I should report her to the police as well.

The damage to my car seems to be really minor, if anything. The cars rubbed against each other, but most of the 'damage' seems to come off with a good ol' wet finger rubbin'. Maybe there's a little scuffing on the plastic, but that looked lovely already.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

KozmoNaut posted:

100% yes. Moreso because she gave you dodgy details.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Adiabatic posted:

Would ya just look at all that space...
This is the best response for asking about any ex's

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The Locator posted:

I've never seen so many Cobra's before in my life.

What a glorious racket they make too! That yellow one at several points was three wheeling round the corners too...!

The Locator posted:

So the estimated value of the field is 'over 150 million British pounds'. :stare:

Edit: That's over $231 million US.

Someone in the chat first mentioned the insurance company sponsoring the event said they valued it at £85 million which itself was a sillyyyyyyyyyyyyy amount but then the commentator mentioned £150 million which is just mindblowing. A lot of that was probably the Ferrari 250.

KozmoNaut posted:

Yup, gently caress that shady bint.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

KozmoNaut posted:

So I was just involved in a minor traffic accident (accident my rear end, she sideswiped me deliberately), and the other driver was apparently in a real big hurry :rolleyes:, so she only hastily gave me her phone number and the city she lives in.

The phone number points to some dude in a city like 50km away in the opposite direction of the city she claims to live in. What a loving surprise.

At least I got the plate number on my dashcam, unfortunately the actual footage cannot legally be used for anything here.

So I've submitted everything to the insurance company, including the fact that she gave lovely information (I gave her my address, phone number, insurance company etc.) and basically blamed me. I was in my lane, she tried to overtake in the oncoming lane and across blocking lines, and she drove into the side of my car to avoid hitting the traffic lights.

The damage to my car seems to be really minor, if anything. The cars rubbed against each other, but most of the 'damage' seems to come off with a good ol' wet finger rubbin'. Maybe there's a little scuffing on the plastic, but that looked lovely already.

Why can't the dashcam footage be used? There's no expectation of privacy on a public road.

Also, always always always ALWAYS call the police. Do not take her information. Let her give it to the police and then you get it from the police report.

Also, always call the police.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just got wind of some horrifically racist poo poo that I said at a car show yesterday.

Oh wait, I didn't say it, some dude with the same name as me said it but because I don't use my real name on FB it blew back on me. God drat it.

Edit: To clarify, there was a charity car show yesterday. Some dude with the same name as me was spouting off the n-word a whole bunch, a nice racist rant I guess. It was assumed that he was me. Someone message a friend of mine and told him he shouldn't be friends with a piece of poo poo like me. He was confused and messaged me. We were able to sort it out pretty quickly but it's loving frustrating.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 13, 2015

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Wall-E and Brave New World are both documentaries about Mankind's fall.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

88h88 posted:

What a glorious racket they make too! That yellow one at several points was three wheeling round the corners too...!

Indeed.

88h88 posted:

Someone in the chat first mentioned the insurance company sponsoring the event said they valued it at £85 million which itself was a sillyyyyyyyyyyyyy amount but then the commentator mentioned £150 million which is just mindblowing. A lot of that was probably the Ferrari 250.

That Aston Martin Project 212 car was valued at over $3.5 million - back in 2000, god knows what it's worth now. But yea, that LM is basically priceless.

Tide posted:

Why can't the dashcam footage be used? There's no expectation of privacy on a public road.

Also, always always always ALWAYS call the police. Do not take her information. Let her give it to the police and then you get it from the police report.

This. Always this. Never leave the scene of an accident (at fault or not) without getting the cops there, unless it's on private property where they won't respond (depends on your local government).

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tide posted:

Dashcam footage is basically useless here from a legal standpoint, it cannot be used as evidence, and insurance companies don't even want to look at it. But it's nice to have for remembering license plate numbers, and recording you talking about insurance details in case you misremember a digit in their phone number or something when you write it down.

I called the police as we were talking, since we absolutely couldn't agree about anything. But since no injuries etc. had happened, they didn't come out.

Now I've called them again to report the lacking (and incorrect) information she gave me. That got a better response, dunno whether it's worth anything. With no witnesses or anything, it's my word against hers, and the damage is probably so minor it can be buffed off quickly, leaving no evidence.

At least it seems that way on my car. Hardly seems worth going through insurance for, but I wanted to report it to my insurance company before her report (if she ever files one) comes to them. There's no need to spend any money at all fixing my car, I can fix any minor damage myself. But I absolutely don't want to pay for anything damaged on her car.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 14, 2015

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

QuarkMartial posted:

Holy... That's amazing.

Found the rev limiter in my wife's Kia Friday night. Partly on purpose, partly because pulling down to shift up is stupid. I'm pretty sure it auto shifted into second anyway.

Pulling down or pulling back?

Cause pulling back is the only way to shift up in a sequential, imo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KozmoNaut posted:

Dashcam footage is basically useless here from a legal standpoint, it cannot be used as evidence, and insurance companies don't even want to look at it. But it's nice to have for remembering license plate numbers, and recording you talking about insurance details in case you misremember a digit in their phone number or something when you write it down.

I called the police as we were talking, since we absolutely couldn't agree about anything. But since no injuries etc. had happened, they didn't come out.

Now I've called them again to report the lacking (and incorrect) information she gave me. That got a better response, dunno whether it's worth anything. With no witnesses or anything, it's my word against hers, and the damage is probably so minor it can be buffed off quickly, leaving no evidence.

At least it seems that way on my car. Hardly seems worth going through insurance for, but I wanted to report it to my insurance company before her report (if she ever files one) comes to them.

I think technically she fled the scene of an accident since she gave you false information.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

iwentdoodie posted:

Pulling down or pulling back?

Cause pulling back is the only way to shift up in a sequential, imo.
Yeah. I've driven an auto which had a "manual" mode the other way round (push away from you to shift up), and it's loving infuriating.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

KozmoNaut posted:

At least it seems that way on my car. Hardly seems worth going through insurance for, but I wanted to report it to my insurance company before her report (if she ever files one) comes to them.

Germany?

In any event, in the US, failure to give license, address, insurance card, etc is a hit and run even if they stop but refuse to give you those details. That will get the cops to come out even in LA. Dunno about where you live, but for next time (hopefully never), it may be worth calling them after she refuses to give over details.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

What in the gently caress is going on with my local craigslist tonight?

Within the past hour there's been a 1972 VW Westphalia camper with 46k original miles for $9900 posted, along with an original 1958 Isetta 600 limo for $20k...

I've already left a message for the Isetta and emailed the Westie.

Unicorn day.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
So is the dashcam footage completely barred from being taken into account, or is it still good enough to say "lol nope" if someone turns around and blatantly lies about something the footage clearly shows (e.g. they back into you and claim you ran into them).

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

I think technically she fled the scene of an accident since she gave you false information.

You could make an argument but I don't think it would work. It's on the proverbial you to make sure the information is accurate before the other person leaves. I think for it to be fleeing an accident, she would have just zoomed away without giving information.

Here's why you call the police in the event of an accident, even a fender bender where no one is hurt:
1) You get an official record of events.
2) It removes the requirement for you to interact with the other person. Seriously, never talk to them except to say "Are you ok?".
3) The officer is there to remove the interaction between two parties and to give an unbiased report that you both receive (and I think have to sign? not sure, it's been a while since I've had an accident).

I do not understand how dashcam footage can't be used. Weird, man.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

nm posted:

Germany?

In any event, in the US, failure to give license, address, insurance card, etc is a hit and run even if they stop but refuse to give you those details. That will get the cops to come out even in LA. Dunno about where you live, but for next time (hopefully never), it may be worth calling them after she refuses to give over details.

Denmark.

Anyway, I called the police and gave them the plate number. They called the registered address and talked to the owner of the car. They got the driver's name, insurance company and everything else, which I've passed on to my insurance company.

It's really just a minor scrape. I wish she could get a fine for driving like a maniac, but with no witnesses, there's no chance. Plus, I looked at my dashcam footage, and it doesn't actually show her hitting me. It just goes *BONK* and then she drives past me. Even if it could be used as evidence, it's inconclusive without witnesses. Of which there are precious few in the middle of the night.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Tide posted:

You could make an argument but I don't think it would work. It's on the proverbial you to make sure the information is accurate before the other person leaves. I think for it to be fleeing an accident, she would have just zoomed away without giving information.
I do not understand how dashcam footage can't be used. Weird, man.
Nope and commie europe.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I hate hitting the point with a project where money is what holds you back.

Tomorrow is ordering a full gasket and head bolt set. After that it should run...but it still needs shifter bushings, which is a 200 dollar kit to remove all doubt that it will work in the future.

So maybe by Halloween? Oh plus I get to remove a broken bolt out of the head. The coolant T had one bolt that was torqued to gently caress-me lb/ft, one that was hand right and one that sheared the head as soon as pressure was applied to it. And one bolt for the intake runner needs replaced, as it was pre stripped and I had to hammer a torx bit in to get it out.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

InitialDave posted:

Yeah. I've driven an auto which had a "manual" mode the other way round (push away from you to shift up), and it's loving infuriating.

Wait. poo poo. That's what I meant. You push the shifter up/away from you to shift. It's loving backwards like everything else on the car.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

CharlesM posted:

Uhh...how's that smell?

Moly grease and hypoid gear oil. What a wonderful loving odor. And since it was 29 degrees yesterday I wore shorts and a Tee doing the work (tin shed so probably 32-33 inside)

I had to get the girlfriend to bring me the big pump pack of solvol in the shower so i could at least get SOME of the black off my knees...

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

iwentdoodie posted:

I hate hitting the point with a project where money is what holds you back.

Tomorrow is ordering a full gasket and head bolt set. After that it should run...but it still needs shifter bushings, which is a 200 dollar kit to remove all doubt that it will work in the future.

Do you live in the US? I have a brand new USRT shift linkage Id sell cheaper than new if you want it. Email me at timothy (underscore) volkswagen at the yahoo if youre interested. Ive had it forever and Im changing my Rocco to cable shift when I do the TDI swap so Im never going to use it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

meatpimp posted:

What in the gently caress is going on with my local craigslist tonight?

Within the past hour there's been a 1972 VW Westphalia camper with 46k original miles for $9900 posted, along with an original 1958 Isetta 600 limo for $20k...

I've already left a message for the Isetta and emailed the Westie.

Unicorn day.

Buy both right now!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Fart Pipe posted:

Do you live in the US? I have a brand new USRT shift linkage Id sell cheaper than new if you want it. Email me at timothy (underscore) volkswagen at the yahoo if youre interested. Ive had it forever and Im changing my Rocco to cable shift when I do the TDI swap so Im never going to use it.

I loving love you. I'll email you tomorrow when I get to work.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

iwentdoodie posted:

I loving love you. I'll email you tomorrow when I get to work.

Right on, I just have to find it. Its in my giant parts pile and when I do Ill figure out what exact kit it is.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

test

edit: I think that might be too big. hrmph

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Icles

Fart pipe, is your Rocco mk1 or 2? Should be the right kit as long as it's a mk2, I think.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

iwentdoodie posted:

Icles

Fart pipe, is your Rocco mk1 or 2? Should be the right kit as long as it's a mk2, I think.

Its an 87, 020, so it should work on yours. When I find it I'll make sure.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Tusen Takk posted:

test

edit: I think that might be too big. hrmph

Oh God, so much of my childhood was spent playing Cruisin' USA.

Edit: Helped a customer trying to find a brake drum return spring for a 48 Packard Super Eight today (and yesterday). It crosses over to a 95-ish Toyota HiAce and a 66 Ford F250. Couldn't order him any through the store, but they're on RockAuto so he was plenty happy to have it at least figured out.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
What loving parts chain do you work for that can and will look up parts like that?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
The one that just bought Carquest.

I don't know about other stores, but most of us at our store try to help people out if we can as a general rule. If it's something we know, like Ford/Chevy/whatever old rednecks like, we can usually figure it out. If it's something classic or interesting, then we get on the internet and start looking around trying to figure it out. Part of it is to get people to come back, but another part of it is just trying to figure it out for the hell of it. Trying to find a 60+ year old brake return spring presents itself as an interesting problem that needs to be figured out.

E: Our computer systems aren't that advanced, but if we can get a part number we can usually cross it over. Or just start googling poo poo till we figure it out.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

as someone who is paid hourly, and reason to dink around helping a customer is a good reason

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Holy poo poo, Sunday night game delivered.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

leica posted:

No poo poo.

Eli hosed me hard in fantasy, but the Cowboys won so I'm still happy overall. But only because Jason loving Witten.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

leica posted:

Yup.
Giants hosed up twice, both by throwing the ball on that last third down and by not going for it on 4th.
Welp.

Go Cowboys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

To quote Clerks, "I'm not even supposed to be here today!". Got called in to help with the game. Wound up walking out with $70 for about 4 hours of work, not gonna bitch about that. Just sucks that I lost one of my two days off this week.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My car is sexy as gently caress and you are all just haters driving Miatas. My warranty will outlive the entirety of your poo poo-box car.

You should ask Bajaja how that Hyundai warranty has worked out f....

mariooncrack posted:

Hyundai does some great warranty work, just ask Bajaha.

GODDAMNIT

Rhyno posted:

Uh huh. Until they deny your warranty claim because of excess moisture damage.

FROM SPLASHING THROUGH PUDDLES

I laughed entirely too hard at this.

• Locked thread