Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

akadajet posted:

I do think having a neutral target like a gray card could help you. Just picking a neutral-ish for gray helps a lot.

Holy gently caress i didn't know you could do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for all the help, guys. I'm going to fiddle with workflow a bit and see if I can get this figured out.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Just some more "what's wrong here". I think that my camera's shutter might be failing at fast speeds, the pictures coming out black were all taken in bright sunlight so it may have been using 1/1000, which is the max. I don't know what's going on with the stripes at the beginning of the film.

If I hold my camera down pointed at my light box I can see through the shutter curtain at 1/1000, but if I put the light box on it's side and try releasing the shutter I can't see through it most of the time. hmm....

Is my T70 out of gas?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Which 35mm black and white film should I buy for relatively simple home development?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Which 35mm black and white film should I buy for relatively simple home development?

It doesn't make a huge difference as long as you stick to one film and one dev, consistency is the key. Tri-x and HP5 will offer the most flexibility and more importantly, data points (other people's times/temps/samples), for home development.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Cross-posting part of my post from medium/large format thread:

Doctor Bombadil posted:

Edit: Also found these in the bottom of the fridge (sorry for the crappy pic):

Dates on Ektachrome is 1984, except two bottom rolls which are 1977 and 1978 :v: Other rolls are also from the '80s.
Two bottom-right rolls (Agfachrome and ORWO) were stored in the attic, which easily reaches ~50 celsius during summer.

I should throw this out, shouldn't I?

Thanks to iammeandsoareyo for advice given in that thread. I've decided not to throw these out for now, but rather ask for more advice.

Ektachrome64 ER120 is E-6, so I'll go out and shoot those rolls.
Ektachrome EH120 is E-4, can it be cross-processed in E-6 and what can I expect from it?
Ektachrome Professional Type B - I can't find much data about this film, anyone knows which process is it?

Agfachrome 50L and CT18 - as far as I know Agfa used specific chemistry for agfacrome, and it can't be cross-processed in E-6. Any advice on what to do?

Orwochrom UK17 and UT18 - didn't find much data on this film (I also never heard about ORWO before I found these)

Orwo NP20 - black and white ISO 80 film, I'll shoot it and see what happens.

(Oh, with exception of EH120, all of thise rolls are ISO 32 - 64)

Any advice on what to do with all these rolls?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Doctor Bombadil posted:

Ektachrome EH120 is E-4, can it be cross-processed in E-6 and what can I expect from it?
No. E-4 is not only a functionally extinct process, but one with no living relatives. The closest you could get is cross-processing by C-22 at ~$15/roll.
Rocky Mountain Film might be able to E-4 process, but expect to pay a lot and wait up to a year.

Doctor Bombadil posted:

Agfachrome 50L and CT18 - as far as I know Agfa used specific chemistry for agfacrome, and it can't be cross-processed in E-6. Any advice on what to do?

Orwochrom UK17 and UT18 - didn't find much data on this film (I also never heard about ORWO before I found these)

ORWO at the time that film was made was a Soviet/East German film company. UK17 and UT18 use the the Agfachrome process (AP-41).

You could probably reverse-engineer the process from patents and notes if you are a real chemistry nerd (here are some starting points), but in practical terms you're best off selling them as display pieces or maybe processing them as black-and-white negatives to see what comes up.

That last one will be weird - as I understand it, Agfa didn't use the Kodak approach of coupling in dyes, but rather put the dye in during film construction, and the processing bound the dyes to long polymer chains and extracted the excess. I have no idea how (or if) it will work - you're deep into Lomo "throw it at the wall and see if it sticks" territory here.

Generally my answer is "if you had long-lost valuable family pictures this would be interesting, but it'll be cheaper and less headache to buy new film." If you're lucky someone on eBay might want it for display and subsidize that cost, but I wouldn't bet a lot on that.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 13, 2015

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Start with Tri-X because it is the cheapest film on consistent quality. You can get 10 36-shot rolls on Amazon for $50. There are cheaper ones like Foma, but there are some reports out there on inconsistent quality

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Thanks for the advice, I'll shoot that E-6 Ektachrome and B&W Orwo and see what comes up.

The rest I'll just keep as curiosities, as you've said, they're not worth the hassle.

The Claptain fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 13, 2015

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

mulls posted:

Start with Tri-X because it is the cheapest film on consistent quality. You can get 10 36-shot rolls on Amazon for $50. There are cheaper ones like Foma, but there are some reports out there on inconsistent quality

I'll stick up for Foma, it's always been good to me, in both 100 and 400 varieties, and the 400 can be pushed hard like Tri-X too.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

are there any good places to buy film that aren't Freestyle or Amazon? I'm especially looking for like... weird European b&w films, but the choices there seem to have declined since I last bought film.

edit: and have any of y'all tried the Cinestill films? because an 800-speed tungsten-balanced film sounds loving perfect

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

If you're happy to buy from Europe then there is Macodirect, FomaFoto and FotoImpex.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
If not trix, then hp5.

I've had some pretty decent results with kentmere as well, and it's cheaper. A fair bit grainier, but also a lot cheaper.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

atomicthumbs posted:

are there any good places to buy film that aren't Freestyle or Amazon? I'm especially looking for like... weird European b&w films, but the choices there seem to have declined since I last bought film.

edit: and have any of y'all tried the Cinestill films? because an 800-speed tungsten-balanced film sounds loving perfect

Film photography project?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Spedman posted:

If you're happy to buy from Europe then there is Macodirect, FomaFoto and FotoImpex.

Will the shipping rates kill me if I do?

BANME.sh posted:

Film photography project?

Not really, more of a restocking on B&W film since I haven't really shot any in years.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

Will the shipping rates kill me if I do?

With the U.S. Dollar so strong, probably not, Fomafoto in particular have very reasonable international shipping rates.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

atomicthumbs posted:

Not really, more of a restocking on B&W film since I haven't really shot any in years.

No, that's the name of the website that sells weird film :)

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

atomicthumbs posted:

lol

http://filmphotographyproject.com/store

They have good poo poo.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Thirding the lol at that website's name and the confusion.

Buy a bunch of Tri-X and/or HP5+, and toss one of their oddball variety packs into your order for fun. I've got the remainders from a couple of orders like that I need to play with.

There's always eBay if you want to gamble.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Ilford just got bought:
http://www.bjp-online.com/2015/09/harman-ilford-film-purchased-pemberstone/

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

:rip:

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

akadajet posted:

Just some more "what's wrong here". I think that my camera's shutter might be failing at fast speeds, the pictures coming out black were all taken in bright sunlight so it may have been using 1/1000, which is the max. I don't know what's going on with the stripes at the beginning of the film.

If I hold my camera down pointed at my light box I can see through the shutter curtain at 1/1000, but if I put the light box on it's side and try releasing the shutter I can't see through it most of the time. hmm....

Is my T70 out of gas?

Kind of late, but that's pretty drat similar to what it looked like when my (admittedly compact not SLR) camera's shutter finally gave up the ghost.
I guess the stripes are due to the shutter opening and sometimes also closing irregularly. Had lots of weird artefacts and half-pictures on that roll too.

Hope that helps! At least T70 bodies are kinda cheap, and 80ies (that means rad) as hell..

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

VomitOnLino posted:

Kind of late, but that's pretty drat similar to what it looked like when my (admittedly compact not SLR) camera's shutter finally gave up the ghost.
I guess the stripes are due to the shutter opening and sometimes also closing irregularly. Had lots of weird artefacts and half-pictures on that roll too.

Hope that helps! At least T70 bodies are kinda cheap, and 80ies (that means rad) as hell..

Ya that's what I figured. Since it would cost 75 bux + shipping to fix I picked up an AE1 program on the cheap so I can use the lenses and film I already have. Hope it works!

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Picked up a few rolls of Provia 100F while I was in Europe, and I think it's a good opportunity to try my hand at cross-processing for the first time. I'm assuming (based on VSCO Film 06 and various Google results) that I'm going to get greenish casts, but anything I should be wary of in terms of exposure?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

quote:

Peter Elton, Managing Director of Harman concurs. “Film has become an interesting medium for young photographers to work with again. We are seeing this very clearly. Our new owners will assist us to connect more effectively to this younger generation in the future, and we will prioritise this as our main goal over the next five years.

gently caress

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I just hope this doesn't turn into Lomography 2.0

Fake edit: Local store has Ilford films on discount, maybe it's time to stock up.

Real edit:
VVVV

I should sell all those rolls of Agfachrome which were in my hot attic to hipsters, praising ~unpredictable results~ they'll get.

The Claptain fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 15, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

atomicthumbs posted:

gently caress

What? You don't like weird lomo film that shoots like it was kept in a sauna for a decade right out of the freezer?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if they'll make their own instax or something.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

nm posted:

What? You don't like weird lomo film that shoots like it was kept in a sauna for a decade right out of the freezer?

So my understanding of the secret of Lomo film is two fold, 1. it's really effing cheap, and 2. they put E-6 film in the cassette but label it as C-41 so you don't have to convince your lab to cross process or pay extra.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

404notfound posted:

Picked up a few rolls of Provia 100F while I was in Europe, and I think it's a good opportunity to try my hand at cross-processing for the first time.

Why?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
How do you store your negatives? I've just starting shooting film again, and I'd like to organise things a little better. I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask and I didn't see anything in the OP but this must be the right thread....right?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Xabi posted:

How do you store your negatives? I've just starting shooting film again, and I'd like to organise things a little better. I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask and I didn't see anything in the OP but this must be the right thread....right?

PrintFile sheets and sleeves are the gold standard here.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So I shot a roll of Portra 400 on an old pentax, scans came back from the lab and I requested 16 bit tiffs which I got.

I do the levels adjustment per the video in the OP. But what is the solution for when you don't have perfectly exposed photos, and you have splotches at 255 right off the bat when you alt click the color channel? Do you just kind of ignore it and move past til a bit more show up? Or do you fix this with the curves adjustment?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

iSheep posted:

So I shot a roll of Portra 400 on an old pentax, scans came back from the lab and I requested 16 bit tiffs which I got.

I do the levels adjustment per the video in the OP. But what is the solution for when you don't have perfectly exposed photos, and you have splotches at 255 right off the bat when you alt click the color channel? Do you just kind of ignore it and move past til a bit more show up? Or do you fix this with the curves adjustment?

You can fix it by scanning your film yourself. Your lab helpfully discarded the information in those highlights - there's no way to get it back.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

MrBlandAverage posted:

You can fix it by scanning your film yourself. Your lab helpfully discarded the information in those highlights - there's no way to get it back.

I'm keeping all the film for when I get a scanner. But really there isn't much I can do as of now?

EDIT: Maybe I didn't phrase the question well enough: I'm aware that they are lost highlights, my question is how do I determine I'm getting the correct white balance, regardless.

iSheep fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 15, 2015

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

gently caress

I get the feeling they'll be okay, have a listen to FPP episode 123 where they have someone go through the whole place interviewing people. They may want to expand, but don't have the expertise to actually connect with customers or make new customers, and this is the best way to do it.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

iSheep posted:

I'm keeping all the film for when I get a scanner. But really there isn't much I can do as of now?

EDIT: Maybe I didn't phrase the question well enough: I'm aware that they are lost highlights, my question is how do I determine I'm getting the correct white balance, regardless.

By looking at the image on a calibrated monitor.

You can try playing with the R/G/B white points to make the blown highlight the same size on each channel, but depending on what else the lab did to the curves, that may not do it.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Huh? Is there something wrong with wanting to try cross-processing? :confused:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

404notfound posted:

Huh? Is there something wrong with wanting to try cross-processing? :confused:

Yes, in the sense that you're paying a bunch of money to ignore all of the engineering that went into making your already-expensive film. It's also a gimmick in that it won't make bad pictures good. You're not David LaChapelle.

If you want wacky colors or something why not do it after the fact? It's easier to add the effect than to remove it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

MrBlandAverage posted:

If you want wacky colors or something why not do it after the fact? It's easier to add the effect than to remove it.

Then you'd complain about the colors being off.