Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

No, making the supervisor clean up his own mess or keep digging his own grave sounds like entirely the right thing to do at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J
Jun 10, 2001

Supervisor is just going to do absolutely nothing all day and the ticket queue will be even longer on tuesday for larchesandrew to deal with. :(

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Pretty much, but when people start bitching that shits broke and why hasn't engineering fixed it, I've covered my rear end by showing GM that CE knew all about it and did nothing.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

larchesdanrew posted:

See you all Tuesday!

A good post.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

OriginalPseudonym posted:

I was required to put the HR-acceptable signature template on my emails, so I compromised by having a set of randomized signatures with ridiculous job titles (which I can't post because literally anyone I work with would probably look at them and say OH I KNOW EXACTLY WHO THAT IS :tinfoil:)

So you're a child.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

go3 posted:

So you're a child.

That's Executive Man-Child to you, mister (12.5% of the time)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Ozz81 posted:

Even better If you have to log in under an admin account when they're out & they can't figure out how to change the login with "switch user" :downs:

Otherwise known as why I have a secret account in the AD so I can unlock my account.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

skooma512 posted:

Otherwise known as why I have a secret account in the AD so I can unlock my account.

This and thankfully we get in the habit of setting up one or two local admin accounts. Helps when having to rejoin a domain and not worry about locking a network account :)

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

larchesdanrew posted:

We had a series of power outages at work this weekend due to some strong storms passing through. The generator never kicked in because it's hosed up and supervisor was supposed to have it fixed last year. Guess what he never did?

See you all Tuesday!

That's a fireable offence when I used to work. Not only because $money, but also because that place is part of the national warning system (all major broadcasters are). Two separate power lines into the house, a diesel generator if external power fails, and a nearby natural power source* that can be rerouted to the station in less than two hours for true emergencies.

*Yes, I'm intentionally vague.

larchesdanrew posted:

Pretty much, but when people start bitching that shits broke and why hasn't engineering fixed it, I've covered my rear end by showing GM that CE knew all about it and did nothing.
aand plenty of CYA to top it off. You can request your BOFH-cert from the SH/SC Department of Bastards.

Edit: you need to get on #bofh on irc so we can pat your back through weid text.

Crowley fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Sep 14, 2015

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Crowley posted:

That's a fireable offence when I used to work. Not only because $money, but also because that place is part of the national warning system (all major broadcasters are). Two separate power lines into the house, a diesel generator if external power fails, and a nearby natural power source* that can be rerouted to the station in less than two hours for true emergencies.

*Yes, I'm intentionally vague.

It's an exercise bicycle with a dynamo strapped to it, isn't it?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

spog posted:

Shhh... "Natural power"

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

larchesdanrew posted:

Shhh... "Natural power"

It's a cow with a dynamo strapped to it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

go3 posted:

So you're a child.

I work at a business where, for the last 8 years of our existence, it's been a codified practice that if you screw up dramatically, you can (if you so desire) put on a pair of plastic Shrek ears, which results in other coders and developers coming over, asking you what happened, and commiserating with you about times that they were wearing those ears. A practice which is embraced by everyone up to and including the VP of Operations. If having a job title of "Senior Code Monkey" in my email makes me a child in your eyes, I feel pity for both you and your work culture.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Tangentally-related mailing list emails came in...

We've been testing backup power in a new facility. Diesel generators - big ones. Manufacturer says the whole integrated system will start up in two minutes, contractor quoted less because our org wanted things up in 60s flat. During testing, we find the system boots up and takes over the junctions it is supposed to in 40s ish. Guy in charge of the HPC farm bought a little over 30s of UPS power for transients and graceful shutdown. The fight between the contractor -- who had met all obligations -- and the guy who messed up the UPS specs has been interesting. His department does NOT have much budgetary flexibility.

I'm supposed to root for the home team, but there are not many ways to argue something so clearly black and white. It's a little embarrassing to see it gong down.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

It's a few thousand bucks of honest screw-up. Pittance. I'd rather duderino fessed up to a simple mistake, apologize to his superior and ask for a little more cash, and move on. Ye ain't getting out of this one by dragging it out. Maybe the defense plan is to confuse his boss enough during a weeks-drawn-out arguement and end up the hero in the end with a plan to fix things for only a little more than budgeted because well screw that contractor right?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

go3 posted:

So you're a child.

For what it's worth, my official job title - it's on my current contract even - is "Boy Genius", and I'm in my mid-30s. Perhaps the problem isn't him, perhaps it's you.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

We use Gmail for our work email. Is there a way to make randomized signatures in that? Because I want to give myself all sorts of fancy job titles as I near my 2 year anniversary at my job.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

neogeo0823 posted:

We use Gmail for our work email. Is there a way to make randomized signatures in that? Because I want to give myself all sorts of fancy job titles as I near my 2 year anniversary at my job.
What do you use for your email client?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

spog posted:

It's a cow with a dynamo strapped to it.

:ssh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8yW5cyXXRc

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

spog posted:

That's a funny way to pronounce "reindeer"

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
A ticket came in...

and the guy on helpdesk for my team escalated it to me immediately based on "inventory says it's yours." No investigation into the problem. No thought put in beyond "This is more complicated than a database filling up and it's captkirk's server. I better give this ticket to captkirk." This is from someone on my team, we have a rotating one week shift that everyone has to take to do triage on incoming tickets, so he should be able to investigate the problem to determine if it actually involves foreknowledge of the particular server.

This could also go in the poo poo that pisses me off thread because it seems like some people on my team don't understand that when you're on helpdesk it's your job to minimize the interruption of everyone else's work by deal with as much of the incoming poo poo tickets as you can. The point is not to spread the work interruptions around.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
:byodame: My printer isn't working! It says 'active domain service can't be found!' What does that mean?
:v: Did you install your printer?
:byodame: After you worked on it?
:v: Yeah.
:byodame: ... no...

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

anthonypants posted:

What do you use for your email client?

We don't? It's literally Gmail, dressed up to look like a company thing. Like, I have an email address that's firstinitiallastname@company.com, but it's all handled as Gmail.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

captkirk posted:

This could also go in the poo poo that pisses me off thread because it seems like some people on my team don't understand that when you're on helpdesk it's your job to minimize the interruption of everyone else's work by deal with as much of the incoming poo poo tickets as you can. The point is not to spread the work interruptions around.

I still don't quiiiiiite see the difference between this thread and poo poo Pissing Me Off. Are we theoretically supposed to be polling the peanut gallery in here for answers and it devolved into complaining, or....?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

There's no real difference, it's just that one thread would move too quickly. Or something.

We've had this discussion before. Maybe in the other thread :v:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah there's three threads that are all the same thing.

I think, ostensibly, it's supposed to be:

This one - "Hey here's this issue that came in. It was funny/interesting/difficult."
Pisses you off - "Here is this thing that happened that made me mad! I work in IT!"
Working in IT - General thread, career questions (has some overlap with the cert thread), ask questions of other people in IT for advice on projects/vendors/etc

But really I am not a mod and I think all three threads work well. :shrug:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
A merge was tried before and it was tiring and awful to keep up with.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
For what it's worth, the piss-off thread is almost all complaining and commiseration, while here I've seen a lot of tech support. As in, "a ticket came in for this problem, has anybody run into this kind of thing before? How do I fix?"

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

neogeo0823 posted:

We don't? It's literally Gmail, dressed up to look like a company thing. Like, I have an email address that's firstinitiallastname@company.com, but it's all handled as Gmail.

You can connect to GMail from Thunderbird or any other ordinary email client using IMAP, then you can go wild.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

divabot posted:

You can connect to GMail from Thunderbird or any other ordinary email client using IMAP, then you can go wild.

That's not always enabled by the org admin.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
It also never loving works right.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Seriously. The Gmail website is the best Google Apps client. Nothing else really gets the different Inboxes and tags quite right.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

You're using "Google Apps for Work" in case you were curious.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Haquer posted:

A merge was tried before and it was tiring and awful to keep up with.

And somehow keeping up with two threads of the exactly the same amount of content is somehow easier? We are suppose to be a logical group here aren't we?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sickening posted:

And somehow keeping up with two threads of the exactly the same amount of content is somehow easier? We are suppose to be a logical group here aren't we?

Do you know how much the licensing costs for all of that functionality to be rolled into one thread?!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Inspector_666 posted:

Do you know how much the licensing costs for all of that functionality to be rolled into one thread?!

Hold on let me see if I can get the licenses through Tiger Direct

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sickening posted:

I have 10 threads bookmarked on SA, that doesn't mean I really want to see all the updates for all of them posted in one massive überthread.

Renegret posted:

Hold on let me see if I can get the licenses through Tiger Direct

Cheaper to get them off ebay anyways.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

I have 10 threads bookmarked on SA, that doesn't mean I really want to see all the updates for all of them posted in one massive überthread.

That would comparable if they were all the same content/discussion.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Cheaper to get them off ebay anyways.

Sorry I got sidetracked, I picked up a Buffalo NAS to backup the entire SA forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sickening posted:

That would comparable if they were all the same content/discussion.

I had more :words: in there originally, but felt like I should shift-home-backspace ninja-edit and collect my thoughts proper. The very short version is "a single-chain-of-posts forums board is the worst way to have online discussions, except for all the other others", and your original analogy of "3 threads with 10 updates each" vs "1 thread with 30 updates" assumes that the person in the former case would always have sufficient time to catch up with all three threads, where the reality is more likely to be (especially during work hours) that said person has time to pick and choose one of the threads to catch up and contribute to.

To :spergin: a bit, though:

In one thread, sanely, you can have maybe two threads of discussion via quotes, not including interjections, before things get really hard to follow; and since the topics in question are basically invitations to have interjections, you basically (currently) get a couple dozen posts max before the thread of discussion gets lost in a new topic. In combining the topics of "Specific tickets and technical issues", "I hate my boss", and "How do I get a better job", you're significantly decreasing the signal/noise ratio from the merging alone-- if you combined the posts of the current three threads by timestamp and tried to follow the conversations contained in them, you'd probably give yourself a massive headache.

In reality, though, it's worse than that. If you have, for example, A Thing That Pisses You Off, and you see that there's 10 new posts in the STPMO thread, you're probably going to read those 10 posts, and if you have something to say about a previous post, include a quote attached to your new interjection. If you go to the General IT thread and see there's 30-50 new posts, you're more likely to completely ignore the existing topic and just dump your new noise into the mix, to either become the new topic or be ignored entirely by people discussing the existing topic.

Additionally, for the same reason as above, you're more likely to actually be able to take part in a discussion if you have 5 spare minutes on the shitter when you select one of the threads to catch up on with 5 new posts, as opposed to trying to catch up with 30 new posts right that second.

For example, discussions literally like this one would probably not be able to happen in a combined thread, because by the time I hit submit on this, 10 new posts would have been submitted to it.

• Locked thread