Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Am The Scum
May 8, 2007
The devil made me do it

Reset by Peer posted:

I can't think of a single fantasy/40k faction without at least one top knot model.

Tyranid?

I hope I'm wrong, cause I wanna see that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Necrons?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Vampire Counts? Bretonnia? Lizardmen? Tomb Kings?

Reset by Peer
Aug 14, 2015

Social Justice Battlemage

I Am The Scum posted:

Tyranid?

I swear I saw a Geensteeler Cultist with a top knot once, but I might have imagined it.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Ugleb posted:

Necrons?

Older Necromancer model:

Slann (I guess it's a feather, but close enough):

Necrons (just the top, without a knot, but close):

Stop trying to ruin my joke guys.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I Am The Scum posted:

Tyranid?

counts-as topknot

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I seriously thought that was a Thunder Warrior head from Armor Through the Ages.

At least the chimera commander I had didn't have the sunglasses, but a techno visor with bits sticking out.

EDIT: Friday's edition of My Army Costs More Than Your Car:

Deadpool themed IG Army ft. FW Elysians, Chimeras with Chapterhouse wheels, unhealthy amount of Tauroses and a paintjob that's way too good.

JcDent fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 11, 2015

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

JcDent posted:

I seriously thought that was a Thunder Warrior head from Armor Through the Ages.

At least the chimera commander I had didn't have the sunglasses, but a techno visor with bits sticking out.

EDIT: Friday's edition of My Army Costs More Than Your Car:

Deadpool themed IG Army ft. FW Elysians, Chimeras with Chapterhouse wheels, unhealthy amount of Tauroses and a paintjob that's way too good.

Whoever has that Deadpool army is most likely an insufferable person IRL.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Look on the bright side: if Deadpool is the person's inspiration than they might have cancer.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The most impressive part of that army is the incredible graffiti painting on the background buildings.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Brettonians need no topknots they have loving animal heads on their helmets.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Insufferable because that fucker is apparently single-handedly keeping ForgeWorld in business.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Of course the Deadpool army was a commission. That's the kind of stupid you either pay someone else to execute or come to your senses ten minutes in.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Seems a bit severe to wish cancer upon someone for liking bad comic books IMHO.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fsmhunk posted:

Seems a bit severe to wish cancer upon someone for liking bad comic books IMHO.

:thejoke:

I wonder if he made it before or after finding out Ryan Reynolds is playing Deadpool.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Look. Comic books are already bad. Deadpool is just honest about it, and frankly, has a great attitude, when you consider that, both, as a character whose super power is to be wolverine without the good parts + ugly, and as a 4th wall breaker who's fully aware of the terrible reality (that he is in comic books, and that they are all stupid), he has every reason to be miserable.

It's a perfect fit for 40k.

step 1) Don't give GW your money
step 1a) ok, you done hosed up and gave them your money. Don't take it seriously
step 1a.i) Oh god, you decided to paint up a 10000 point army. Can you at least show some sign of humanity?

[Deadpool army]

Oh. Neat.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

:whatup:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I really hope I still have my rainbow lizardman in a box somewhere. Six years ago it was a test model of the color scheme I picked out before figuring out that it was too many colors

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

JackMann posted:

Y'know, I've done worse things with sixty bucks. I'm gonna order a box just to see what the gently caress they include. I will report back.

Okay, it has arrived. My report as follows! Where possible, I am going to give three prices. One is the price on the sticker, as most of these still had them. Second is the retail price as determined by the manufacturer. Finally is the first price I found on Miniature Market or similar online retailers. Let's see if this was actually a decent deal for sixty bucks.

The box itself. It did not quite match the boxes I had previously seen on YouTube, so I was not filled with confident.

The box with a Pathfinder book on it for scale. Just slightly bigger.

The box opens!

First item! It's a Warhammer High Elf Prince and Noble. Sticker gives the price as $29.75. Price on GW's site matches this. I could not find any online resellers due to GW's funky policies, so I do not have an online comparison price. Their helmets are endearingly stupid looking. Are the wings stand-ins for their ears? Are these the elven equivalent of oversized codpieces?

From Anima Tactics, it's the Wissenchaft Agent. Sticker says $11.00, retail was $10.99, and MM had it for $8.79. He looks kind of cool. I probably won't use the weird cross chakram thing.

From Reaper's Pathfinder Bones line, it's the Whispering Tyrant. Sticker on the back says $3.49, which is the normal retail price. Found it online for $2.62. It's a model I already have, but not gonna complain about having another undead skeledude. I can always use more skeledudes.

Malifaux Vulture. Pretty nice. I can always use more scavengers hanging around the table. Sticker said $9.50, normal retail is $9, and found it for $6.99.

Hordes Cataphract Arcuarius. $13.00 sticker, $12.99 retail, and found it for $11.37. Lot of fun pieces. He has shoulderpads that verge on the Warhammian, but pointier.

Vallejo Game Ink Skin Wash. No sticker on it. Vallejo sells it for $3.29, MM had it for $2.45. I'll give it a try. I do like premade washes. They save time.

Oberon from Enigma, which appears to be a CMoN imprint. Sticker say $9, Enigma says $8.99, and absolutely no one else I could find was selling this guy. He is a very angry looking bard.

Kings of War 2nd Edition. I know some of you nerds like it. Not much value for me, since I don't play wargames, but I guess someone might want it. Sticker says $25, website says $24.99, and MM had it for $19.99.

Sigmar crap! Just what I always wanted! I didn't bother looking up a price on these. I'm assuming these were given out for free at events, and are probably going for pennies on eBay.

So, final tallies.

Based on the sticker price (using the retail price for the Skin Wash), I come out with $104.03.

Full retail value according to the manufacturers I get $103.49.

What I could buy it for scouring MiniMarket and the like: $90.95. I used full price for Oberon and the Elf. You could probably knock off a buck or two there if you knew who to look for.

So, I paid sixty bucks for this. In terms of raw value, this wasn't a terrible deal. I probably couldn't have gotten quite as good a deal for all of these if I were picking them up piecemeal. Of course, if I was buying stuff piecemeal, I could have picked which minis I wanted. On the other hand, I kind of like getting random stuff. I'm a sucker for things like LootCrate. Ultimately, I don't think this was too bad. I got some stuff I quite like out of it, and I don't feel cheated. On the other hand, I don't like it quite enough that I'm likely to try this again. It was fun for a one-off, but I've got enough other draws on my money.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Yeah, for me the issue is that $60 is a shitload for me, right now, to spend in one place. Ignoring the fact that I do not actually need any more random minis right now, I'd probably be a lot more likely to take a dive on $20 for $30 worth of random minis than $60 for $90 worth.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JackMann posted:

From Anima Tactics, it's the Wissenchaft Agent. Sticker says $11.00, retail was $10.99, and MM had it for $8.79. He looks kind of cool. I probably won't use the weird cross chakram thing.

I was happy when Soda Pop announced it was forming Ninja Division but it looks like they are letting Anima Tactics die out. Haven't heard mum on Hell Dorado either really. They were certainly interesting systems with some good models.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
The Sigmapin and Khorneband are like a beacon for all sorts of snake oil peddles, DVD rewinder salesmen and snow-in-Alaska traders that this is a rube with a very loose grasp on the value of money.

Magpies start shunning you since they have standards for shiny baubles.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
Is this a good or bad warbarbie?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I always dug the Chaos Dwarves. Or Ruinous Duardain, I guess they'd be now. Whatever.

But yes, he looks good. I'd probably paint his lower lip and jutting teeth to distinguish them from his bead, but the highlighting is clean and the armor is well done.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Ilor posted:

I always dug the Chaos Dwarves. Or Ruinous Duardain, I guess they'd be now. Whatever.

But yes, he looks good. I'd probably paint his lower lip and jutting teeth to distinguish them from his bead, but the highlighting is clean and the armor is well done.

Too bad it's a goofy loving model

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
shut your gore(tide) mouth that's a great little barbie

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Ilor posted:

You have been fooled by his elaborate moustache-wax creations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

KingFisher posted:

Is this a good or bad warbarbie?

I'd say it could stand another level of highlight on the beard and the face, and yeah the lower lip needs to be painted flesh colour, but otherwise it's an excellent paint job generally, very clean, crisp details, good colour choices. Great work.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Pick out the lower lip and I'd be quite pleased with myself if I had done that.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I also quite like the model. It's goofy, but a fun kind of goofy, not "I don't know how to loving sculpt please help" goofy.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Cut the axe out and he's a solid Bloodbowl chorf

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Bit of highlighting on the face and blade and he'll be a great little Assyriscrunt, love the colour scheme. :)

Saint Drogo fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Sep 12, 2015

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Improbable Lobster posted:

Too bad it's a goofy loving model

You say that like it's a bad thing, that bad dorf rules.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

SRM posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing, that bad dorf rules.

True that

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

This may be a sign that I'm retarded because I'm in love with this model. I'm gonna try to find a dozen or so of them so I can use them in my Pathfinder games as Dwarven city guard or something.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

PinheadSlim posted:

This may be a sign that I'm retarded because I'm in love with this model. I'm gonna try to find a dozen or so of them so I can use them in my Pathfinder games as Dwarven city guard or something.
Naw, it's an old GW model, and old GW models have a real charm to them.

Yes even/especially the bad ones.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Double true

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Reset by Peer posted:

Stop trying to ruin my joke guys.

Someone modeled his face on the Angry Sun from Mario 3, I see.

Reset by Peer
Aug 14, 2015

Social Justice Battlemage
I have no clue what all of you are on. Chaos Dorfs are loving amazing. I especially like the metal ones. The one above is from a very old plastic set of identical monopose models. But even those dudes had a strange charm to them. They are goofy as gently caress, but in a good way.

I kinda wish I bought bunch of them back in the day at retail prices. Now they are pretty hard to come by. I had an idea of collecting a small force of these and use them as Abyssal Dorfs in Kings of War but they are fiendishly expensive on eBay these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

It's a drat shame that nobody's stepped up to the plate and made tusked Assyrian-inspired Dwarfs to fill the Chaos Dwarf-shaped hole in our hearts :(