Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

KoB posted:

hahah why would they have the power to do that. Thats so dumb.

Yeah, even as an excuse for a plot twist its completely moronic. You'd think maybe the other staff/alumni who are massive stars of the culinary world would have something to say about a bunch of teenagers replacing the head of their alma mater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
How did he even get all the 3rd years down? The ones we've been shown don't seem like they'd agree with elitist food satan.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

So I'm guessing the next arc's gonna be Shokugekis between first and second years with the third years plus Eizan with their votes on the line.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

pentyne posted:

Yeah, even as an excuse for a plot twist its completely moronic. You'd think maybe the other staff/alumni who are massive stars of the culinary world would have something to say about a bunch of teenagers replacing the head of their alma mater.

Massive student protests in the 60s left the japanese student council with a lot mroe power than their western counterpart. But it's okay because now they're all part of the education machine that makes sure that the richs tays rich and the poor stay poor.

Ever wonder why so many japanese anime/manga had horribly unfair schools that would never work in real life? That's because it's merely an exagerration of how class-segregated japanese school already.

Now, this is all poo poo I read somewhere, so take it with a grain of salt.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
I don't know about you guys, but I love how over the top and stupid this chapter is.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

blizzardvizard posted:

So I'm guessing the next arc's gonna be Shokugekis between first and second years with the third years plus Eizan with their votes on the line.

I doubt it, seems too early for that. I imagine this is just going to set up a new status quo where the school is way more vicious and out to get people now. Which sounds sort of dumb, and i'd much prefer the current status quo of the main characters just competing with each other and growing as people while becoming better cooks rather than having to save the school from a supervillain. But that's what I thinks going to happen anyway.

Or maybe you're right and they're doing this to force some matches between the first and third years. Since the third years will probably be graduating soon and won't be around to compete. At the very least though I am expecting a match between Isshiki and Tsukasa or another of the third years, seems like a way to further build up the current elite 10.

LordDethstorm
Aug 19, 2006

Whose side are you on?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I doubt it, seems too early for that. I imagine this is just going to set up a new status quo where the school is way more vicious and out to get people now. Which sounds sort of dumb, and i'd much prefer the current status quo of the main characters just competing with each other and growing as people while becoming better cooks rather than having to save the school from a supervillain. But that's what I thinks going to happen anyway.

Or maybe you're right and they're doing this to force some matches between the first and third years. Since the third years will probably be graduating soon and won't be around to compete. At the very least though I am expecting a match between Isshiki and Tsukasa or another of the third years, seems like a way to further build up the current elite 10.

Possible fallout from E10 Decision: With her dad as the new Director, Erina moves out of the mansion, and into the Polar Star Dorm. Of course, Hisako comes with. As a result, as time progresses, more of the Election finalists move into Polar Star declaring their support for Senzaemon.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
This is a terrible decision because Erina's dad can't possibly match her grandfather's food strip.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

blizzardvizard posted:

According to spoiler threads, it's most of the third years + Eizan and glasses girl (number 6). 5, 4, 2, and 1 all voted for Azami, while number 3 (the irony) voted against him.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Folt The Bolt posted:

According to spoiler threads, it's most of the third years + Eizan and glasses girl (number 6). 5, 4, 2, and 1 all voted for Azami, while number 3 (the irony) voted against him.

What's ironic about number 3 voting against him?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

That about sums it up, goddamn what a great episode. Almost too many delicious looking foods and highlights for the whole B team! I'm so sad this is ending next week, it really snuck up on me. :( I hope it's only a short break before the next one, I need more food battles in my life.

EDIT: Also why is Chinese Cooking Girl (Hojo?) so prevalent in the opening if she doesn't even make it through the prelims?

T&A.

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.
So by spoilers for the next chapter The four who didn't sign onto this power move are Erina, Isshiki, Kuga and one of the big dudes we haven't met yet?

I would like to know how Kuga fits into this, it seems like he might end up being one of the only good guys on the council funnily enough, I guess that entire rivalry with Souma was mostly a fake out.

I've seen some of the leaked raw images for the next chapter and this is absolutely being set up as a battle for the fate of Totsuki with Souma and gang having to take down the six members of the elite ten who are behind Azami. Since apparently it's a majority rule situation they would need to knock off two of the six in order to form a majority with the others.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Rindou is hella beautiful.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
http://i.imgur.com/rmf78Za.png?1
She kinda looks like a vampire in that shot.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

What's ironic about number 3 voting against him?

Elite 10 seat nr. 3 might have been Nakiridad's former seat, I believe.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

fukc this stupid story line

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Davincie posted:

*nods head, in agreement*

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Davincie posted:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

rindou does not, in fact, own

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Davincie posted:

Who cares, as long as we get more food wars.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
This series suddenly got ridiculously Shonen.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So is Azami's opinion basically that only rich/high society people should be able to decide what food is good? I'm not sure why that would appeal to the Elite 10, outside of just wanting to change things (regardless of whether the change is positive or not).

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

DutchDupe posted:

So by spoilers for the next chapter The four who didn't sign onto this power move are Erina, Isshiki, Kuga and one of the big dudes we haven't met yet?

I would like to know how Kuga fits into this, it seems like he might end up being one of the only good guys on the council funnily enough, I guess that entire rivalry with Souma was mostly a fake out.

I've seen some of the leaked raw images for the next chapter and this is absolutely being set up as a battle for the fate of Totsuki with Souma and gang having to take down the six members of the elite ten who are behind Azami. Since apparently it's a majority rule situation they would need to knock off two of the six in order to form a majority with the others.

Kuga and Souma's rivalry is basically another Kindred spirits thing like with Aldini. Instead of being connected by having their family name attached to a restaurant and coming from a relatively blue collar background, Kuga share's Souma's desire to fight for the top and go all out against the biggest and best cook they can find.

I'm expecting there to be a bit more to this revelation than just the Revolutionary Elite 10 members agreeing with Azami. Probably one or two do agree like Eizan, but it's likely that they have their own motives which can be better served by changing headmasters or otherwise pressured by one or more of the others.

Ytlaya posted:

So is Azami's opinion basically that only rich/high society people should be able to decide what food is good? I'm not sure why that would appeal to the Elite 10, outside of just wanting to change things (regardless of whether the change is positive or not).
"Only the elite can decide what is cuisine and only the elite should produce and consume such cuisine" is what his thing is, I think. Elite, n this case probably refers to the powerful and talented. Not just the latter and just the former when it comes to consumption and decision making.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Xelkelvos posted:

"Only the elite can decide what is cuisine and only the elite should produce and consume such cuisine" is what his thing is, I think. Elite, n this case probably refers to the powerful and talented. Not just the latter and just the former when it comes to consumption and decision making.

I might restate that as "Only the elite can create haute cuisine, and haute cuisine is wasted on anyone lesser".

bondster
May 6, 2007

While I'm not a big fan of this turn of events, it could be seen as a way to advance the plotline and get some of the main characters some Seats. This whole saga could revolve around Souma and others trying to get get Seats to have a majority vote and get Nariki's grandfather back in charge.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I might restate that as "Only the elite can create haute cuisine, and haute cuisine is wasted on anyone lesser".

Also "Cuisine is for chefs only", similar to "high art is for artists only".

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Neo_Crimson posted:

Which is a really bizarre stance to take for any chef who wants to own a restaurant. Like the evil business Elite 10 dude should be 100% against that philosophy since he wouldn't make any money.

Still I thought that was a pretty good twist and can't wait to see what the new regime is like.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

bondster posted:

While I'm not a big fan of this turn of events, it could be seen as a way to advance the plotline and get some of the main characters some Seats. This whole saga could revolve around Souma and others trying to get get Seats to have a majority vote and get Nariki's grandfather back in charge.

I can totally picture Erina having a meltdown and Soma going "We just need to beat the snot out of the Elite 10 and get the votes back, right?"

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Guessing that Erina's dad's background will be something like "considered Souma's dad his rival long ago, viewed him marrying down to run that special of the day restaurant as a betrayal, developed his elitist thing as a reaction to that"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blhue posted:

Guessing that Erina's dad's background will be something like "considered Souma's dad his rival love interest long ago, viewed him marrying down to run that special of the day restaurant as a betrayal, developed his elitist thing as a reaction to that"

Fixed this for you.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Neo_Crimson posted:

Mmm, maybe not. That would exclude all these writers and food critics who are serving as judges for shokugekis and whatnot, wouldn't it?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Mmm, maybe not. That would exclude all these writers and food critics who are serving as judges for shokugekis and whatnot, wouldn't it?

Azami spent a chapter poo poo-talking all those writers and food critics, so yes he meant it that way.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I missed that, I think. I read the 4chan q&d translation because :casanova:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I am not fond of the direction of this story arc. The series has always been at its best when just focusing on the development of the chefs, and although there was usually the threat of being expelled involved as well, it was honestly not too important. Introducing a supervillain and making half the Elite 10 into an evil team that must be defeated kinda looks like it'll go against the strength of the manga.

I doubt this is going to immediately head to the first years battling the third years though. I'm guessing it'll just set up a new status quo of an actively malevolent dude being in charge of the school and trying to get everyone expelled, which will probably be dumb. Maybe Isshiki or the 3rd seat dude will challenge another member to change their vote but other than that, I doubt this is going to go straight to defeating the Elite 10.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This is a really dumb twist.

Summon Toriko to eat this retard for suggesting that the best food isn't shared around a table with friedns

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

I'm still holding out hope that this arc turns Erina into someone worth caring about. I really don't like important characters not being actually good or interesting.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Still too early to tell how this arc's gonna go for me. Just as long as there's lots of food, I'm good.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Prediction: there's no way it goes through that easily - there's no reason for Azami to have even mentioned what would happen the next day if it was already settled in stone. Sounds like an actual vote will occur and I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the votes knocked off so that there's a virtual tie and a power struggle.

I'm not a fan of this development at all, but I also think the quality of the series so far has been excellent, so who am I to doubt this will also be good?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
This is another excuse for a bunch of cooking battles. It's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I hope these cooking battles will just mainly be for introducing the Elite 10 because I think most of their designs are cool.

Mostly I want to see what Sword Guy does because he's the most inherently ridiculous and it'd be cool to finally see what Isshiki can really do when he's cooking for real.