Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Gorrister posted:

Is there some sort of japanese play on words I'm missing between how Chiyo says that "noone who is a fan of sumo can be a bad person" and the chairman "noone who is an rear end man can be a bad person"?

Seems to be a saying in the Kurihara family. Mari knows one too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dastardly posted:

Seems to be a saying in the Kurihara family. Mari knows one too.

Oh yeah, wasn't hers "no man with a nice rear end is a bad person" or something?

I think Mari is my unexpectedly favorite character. She wasn't interesting until after being sent to jail and it being revealed that she's super bizarre.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Ytlaya posted:

Oh yeah, wasn't hers "no man with a nice rear end is a bad person" or something?

I think Mari is my unexpectedly favorite character. She wasn't interesting until after being sent to jail and it being revealed that she's super bizarre.

That was young Mari, president Mari's was about crows

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
I love the big secret that could shatter Mari's reputation that was built up a couple of chapters ago her choice of clothes is horrible

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Gorrister posted:

Is there some sort of japanese play on words I'm missing between how Chiyo says that "noone who is a fan of sumo can be a bad person" and the chairman "noone who is an rear end man can be a bad person"?

It's just a common saying where you can replace the subject with practically anything. No one who likes pizza can be a bad person, no one who likes unicycles can be a bad person, etc...

I think the most common version I've seen was about dogs

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

OnimaruXLR posted:

It's just a common saying where you can replace the subject with practically anything. No one who likes pizza can be a bad person, no one who likes unicycles can be a bad person, etc...

I think the most common version I've seen was about dogs

No one who speaks german could be an evil man

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

taking a dump mp3

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tarezax posted:

Just realized the Chairman has his hands over a volume of Kyoaku Gakuen in his first appearance last episode.

That manga is awesome.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Hana x Kiyoshi all but confirmed get hype :stwoon:

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
the latest episode :perfect:

It's a pretty amazing adaptation considering it hits every part of the manga without having any pacing issues plus their animation and sound/music choices really nail the feel. It's a lot like Jojo where the studio really seems to embrace the source material in all it's weirdness.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Jymmybob posted:

the latest episode :perfect:

It's a pretty amazing adaptation considering it hits every part of the manga without having any pacing issues plus their animation and sound/music choices really nail the feel. It's a lot like Jojo where the studio really seems to embrace the source material in all it's weirdness.

Yeah, this feels like a close to perfect adaptation. Let's hope they can animate some intense hand-holding too.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
The soundtrack is loving inspired.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I really, really hope this does well enough to make more of it because it has been nothing short of amazing.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I just watched 11. Beautiful animation. drat. Perfect.

Seriously the jumping out of pants was loving great.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I want a Season 2 now.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Godammit, the stinger for season 2 at the end of the last episode gave me chills.

I'M ANGRY THAT I GOT CHILLS FROM AN ANIME FILLED WITH TITS THAT CONTAINS A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF SCATALOGICAL HUMOR

This show is so, so good. I realize that among the many things that are subjective, comedy is probably in the top 3, so maybe there are a lot of people who don think it's funny. I realize a lot of people are turned off by perversion in general and especially cartoon perversion from Japan, and ordinarily I can respect and sometimes even empathize with those feelings

In this case, I don't care. This is the best anime comedy since Nichibros. Possibly the best ever, for the added element of spectacle and exquisite production expertise. I'd call this the comedy equivalent of One Punch-Man, if it wasn't for the fact that OPM was also a comedy, so that'd be a really dumb thing to say.

I hope I live to see season 2

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

So I really like prison school but haven't watched the show... Is it the sort of thing that i should wait on the blurays? Given the subject matter I've been under the assumption its censored to hell

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The things that are censored are stuff like... well, uh, labia and nipples.

Basically just labia and nipples. Some doodie is censored but that's for comedic effect and was in the manga too.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

DamnGlitch posted:

So I really like prison school but haven't watched the show... Is it the sort of thing that i should wait on the blurays? Given the subject matter I've been under the assumption its censored to hell

At this point I'd just wait for the BDs. The vice president exists in a perpetual haze of shadows and beams of light as you'd expect.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Literally a perfect adaptation. I'd wait for the Blu Rays so you can get it uncensored (just so there aren't any annoying beams of light and smoke and darkness everywhere) but that was stellar from top to bottom and the stinger at the end of the final episode was the perfect hook and made that character out to be exactly as despicable as she actually is.

Seriously, how they manage to fundamentally change the pace of the manga yet keep the spirit and humor exactly on point is beyond me. They even kept in all the best scenes and still had room for more. Stunning production, music work, animation, and detail throughout. Honestly can't think of a time I've been more satisfied with an adaptation. Already hoping they'll make season 2.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

MattTheDoctor posted:

Literally a perfect adaptation. I'd wait for the Blu Rays so you can get it uncensored (just so there aren't any annoying beams of light and smoke and darkness everywhere) but that was stellar from top to bottom and the stinger at the end of the final episode was the perfect hook and made that character out to be exactly as despicable as she actually is.

Seriously, how they manage to fundamentally change the pace of the manga yet keep the spirit and humor exactly on point is beyond me. They even kept in all the best scenes and still had room for more. Stunning production, music work, animation, and detail throughout. Honestly can't think of a time I've been more satisfied with an adaptation. Already hoping they'll make season 2.

All of this and more. I haven't been that happy with an adaptation in a very long time.

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
I think it's safe to call it, AOTY.

:worship:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

so where in the manga did the anime leave off?

Undersea Magic
Dec 16, 2006

dogsicle posted:

so where in the manga did the anime leave off?

The anime ends at chapter 81

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
This series is incredibly loving dumb and I really can't read more than a few pages before I turn it off.

Anime is pretty funny though.

I'll give Meiko ten more chapters before she transforms back into her alter-ego, otherwise this series would be taking the piss.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

uncleKitchener posted:

I'll give Meiko ten more chapters before she transforms back into her alter-ego, otherwise this series would be taking the piss.
We got so much Hana Kiyoshi stuff that I think this is out of his system. Latest chapters have been really slow

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

New chapter just landed. Goddamnit Kyoshi; you get it all.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Bump! This manga is epic!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Pewdiepie posted:

:yeah:

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Pewdiepie posted:

I agree Pewds.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Another chapter.

Rube Goldberg.

RUBE GOLDBERG

Dear god, the anticipation. :stare:

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
Andreomics noooo...

Reading the manga after finishing the anime this is so good I don't want to catch up and get stuck with you folks waiting monthly.

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
NO PBR-SAMA!!!

edit: The jokes are so good, every chapter I'm breaking out in fits of laughter.

Webcormac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Oct 30, 2015

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Sydnesider posted:

Reading the manga after finishing the anime this is so good I don't want to catch up and get stuck with you folks waiting monthly.

I'm going to make your day: it's weekly.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Petiso posted:

I'm going to make your day: it's weekly.

But the pace's real slow lately. It's for the uber-dramatic moments i know but still.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
For those curious, the live action version is up on Funimation. It's.....weird.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
The acting is so hammy. It's probably not gonna come close to the quality of the anime, but I enjoyed it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Part of me is thinking that Chiyo is trying to tell Kiyoshi that she likes Gakuto, based mainly on the fact that it's doubtfully the "obvious" thing (saying she likes Kiyoshi).

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007

Torquemadras posted:

Another chapter.

Rube Goldberg.

RUBE GOLDBERG

Dear god, the anticipation. :stare:

OMG THE RESULT, 197. Gatuko!!!! You know the scheduled WTC is obviously going to be some laundry/dry-cleaning competition right? The chance you have missed!

That second last page :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Awesome new chapter. The chairman is so god drat win.

• Locked thread