Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if he is i will probably actually stop reading this comic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Rei_ posted:

this is like a bad scooby doo movie where they unmask the groundskeeper after the big chase but then like oh no, the Headless Hash Slinging Slasher was totally real because ghosts and magic are real and Velma's like hold up we need to unpack th- CREDITS

Would you say it has an almost improvisational tone?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Go read Kill Six Billion Demons instead if you're not already.

http://killsixbilliondemons.com/

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
What if they pull a surprise ending an furnace reveals the reason he's so unhappy was because he was raped. Then he hugs and cries with the crazy murder lady and everyone forgets this ever happened.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Say Nothing posted:

Go read Kill Six Billion Demons instead if you're not already.

http://killsixbilliondemons.com/

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

yo loving seriously go read K6BD because it's the illest poo poo currently happening in webcomics

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

Yeah, a lot for me depends on what Allison's reaction to all of this is. As people have said, and as Moonshadow herself kind of points out, Allison's moral ground here is not nearly as solid as she would like it to be, but if she is at all convinced that Moonshadow is vindicated, just... ugh.
Even though Allison is just as guilty of using her powers to kill people she didn't like, it was nothing on this scale. So far we've only seen her use her powers to enact lethal personal vengeance against one person. The rest can be seen as victims of her inability to account for others around her when she fought as a commissioned hero.

So even with those deaths on her conscious she still has grounds to tell Mary about why her actions are bullshit. I don't want the next few pages to be just Allison listening to Mary, and the authors trying to make her out as some tragic hero. Mary has murdered people in cold blood; and in some cases in ways more brutal than the crimes her victims committed. She has done so with glee and no shame for what she's done. This whole "I had to be sure he was guilty" and "I picked this dam so that nobody would be hurt in the highly unlikely event that the fire person I kidnapped doesn't go nuclear and destroy it" is a massive contrivance. People should be drowning, property should be damaged, there should be helicopters swarming this area trying to find out why this hydroelectric dam just collapsed.

For a comic whose central theme deals with the reality of real world problems juxtaposed with comic book hero idealism; it shouldn't allow anything that Mary has done to be framed as justifiable. Which as Wittgen has pointed out isn't that unlikely anyways since people in this thread, and in the comment section of the main comic, already endorse Mary's actions.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I still have no idea what Cio should sound like. I have a generic idea of valley girl for the protagonist but who knows.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I know it's got a bit of a WE MUST KILL MORE AND MORE AND MORE thing going on but creating a K6BD thread via the violent hijacking of an existing thread might be getting a little too into it.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

SlothfulCobra posted:

And it's not just rapists Mary has been murdering, the chapter started out with her killing a man for beating his wife, when that would be solvable with some jail time.

The judge was beating his wife, yes, but I don't think that's why Moonshadow killed him. The implications are twofold:

-He knowingly let rapists get away with a gang rape, likely as a part of a "boys will be boys" outlook (at least, this is probably how Moonshadow sees it).
-He did some terrible things to his daughters before they grew up and moved away, hence his wife's question to him of "Why don't our daughters visit us anymore?"

Mary's reason for killing him could be either of those, given her M.O., though I suspect it's more the former than the latter.

That said, the main thrust of your argument holds, I just wanted to dispute this detail.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

wiegieman posted:

I still have no idea what Cio should sound like. I have a generic idea of valley girl for the protagonist but who knows.
I don't get that accent either

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

wiegieman posted:

If you want to know what accent a demon from Hell has, I think you'll have to hunt down various old tomes of forgotten lore and dabble in transdimensional physics.

Failing that, just assume it's cockney.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Fish Noise posted:

I know it's got a bit of a WE MUST KILL MORE AND MORE AND MORE thing going on but creating a K6BD thread via the violent hijacking of an existing thread might be getting a little too into it.

It is a far better thing than we have ever done, a far better rest than we have ever known.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Falstaff posted:

-He did some terrible things to his daughters before they grew up and moved away, hence his wife's question to him of "Why don't our daughters visit us anymore?"

Just to be more specific, he sexually assaulted them. That is what the comic is telling us in that scene. Everyone Moonshadow kills was a rapist. There isn't any point to her character if that isn't the case.

We've talked about it before, but the moral question with her is supposed to be: is it okay to kill guilty people in the way she's been doing?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Simply asking us to accept that Moonshadow can somehow flawlessly determine guilt, and any worry that her victims might have been innocent (of breaking the law, anyway) is unfounded, bothers me. The entire loving point of the justice system is to determine guilt or innocence in a way that eliminates human bias as much as possible, and the punishment that comes after, whether it is the death penalty or something else, is handling that determination in a consistent manner. Hand-waving it by essentially saying "Here's Moonshadow. She can flawlessly accomplish the job of the justice system. How do you feel about her killing those who are guilty of rape/sexual assault?" just feels nonsensical in that case. The question isn't even concerned with vigilantism at that point. It is at most a question of how the reader feels about the death penalty for sexual offenders.

tl;dr there's no point to the story without the possibility that she's wrong about at least some of her victims, but the comic completely glosses over it and asks for the assumption that she isn't.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Oh, you can definitely have the possibility of her being wrong; that's one of the major problems with vigilantism and I really do hope that Alison brings it up. I suppose it would have been more correct for me to say that the question is whether it's okay to kill people that you are absolutely certain are rapists, in the sense that you've gathered all the evidence yourself and believe it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Slashrat posted:

Hand-waving it by essentially saying "Here's Moonshadow. She can flawlessly accomplish the job of the justice system. How do you feel about her killing those who are guilty of rape/sexual assault?" just feels nonsensical in that case. The question isn't even concerned with vigilantism at that point. It is at most a question of how the reader feels about the death penalty for sexual offenders.

The issue of vigilantism was addressed previously: it's okay to kill illegal immigrants, remember?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

idonotlikepeas posted:

Just to be more specific, he sexually assaulted them. That is what the comic is telling us in that scene. Everyone Moonshadow kills was a rapist. There isn't any point to her character if that isn't the case.

We've talked about it before, but the moral question with her is supposed to be: is it okay to kill guilty people in the way she's been doing?

But that makes her guilty of murder, therefore someone has to kill her. Then someone has to kill them. Look, we're going to run out of people eventually.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I've gone so far out of my way to make sure that everyone I've kidnapped, tortured, murdered, and whose corpses I've mutilated deserved it. And they're still going to say I turned villain. :smith:

Look where this comic has gone my goodness I am totally shocked!!!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

The hilarious part is that FF is also misreading authorial intent, and decided to keep arguing that point after literally being told from the author what the intent was. So that got a good laugh out of me. :v:

I know right? I'm still laughing!!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Nuebot posted:

But that makes her guilty of murder, therefore someone has to kill her. Then someone has to kill them. Look, we're going to run out of people eventually.

This is another problem with vigilantism, yeah. I mean, what if one of those rapists had a relative who decided that Moonshadow's murder of him was much worse than the rape he committed, for instance? This is one reason we make justice a systemic thing, to try to prevent endless cycles of revenge.

This isn't even a new idea; it's arguably the point of The Oresteia by Aeschylus (particularly The Eumenides, the third part), which was written roughly 2500 years ago. If Alison had been paying more attention to her research on ancient Greece at the beginning of this chapter, she might have been able to cite this.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Jackard posted:

I don't get that accent either

the thas mark it as a yorkshire accent, i think?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Yeah, a lot for me depends on what Allison's reaction to all of this is. As people have said, and as Moonshadow herself kind of points out, Allison's moral ground here is not nearly as solid as she would like it to be, but if she is at all convinced that Moonshadow is vindicated, just... ugh.

Brought To You By posted:

Even though Allison is just as guilty of using her powers to kill people she didn't like, it was nothing on this scale.
You know what, I want to call bullshit on the comic for this. It seems to me that they've been sneaking this massive "oh Allison and all the other superheroes were just cheerfully committing mass murder every day" retcon in, and... bullshit. All the major supervillains from back then that we've seen are still alive. The only casualty we've seen is an inadvertent civilian death in a building that should have been evacuated. Professor Cohen, who hates the poo poo out of Allison, only makes reference to her "roughing up" other metas. In Allison's big speech to Cleaver, she only says she likes "kicking the poo poo out of" people. All the flashbacks we've seen are jokey fun times destroying robots or clearly non-lethal force against people.

When Allison cops to having killed people before, it's framed as an unintentional byproduct of her incredible strength, which jibes with the death we saw on screen. When the gently caress, exactly, did all of this turn into blood-soaked cheerful mass murder on the part of not only Allison but every superhero?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I don't mean to say that Allison was some murderer like Moonshadow is, because she definitely isn't. She was reckless, but she was never murderous. But the fact that she has killed people, even though it wasn't the same kind of cold-blooded deliberation, means that somebody could write her off as hypocritical if they were inclined to do so, and that she herself is going to be a little less confident about being the right person to make the argument that needs to be made.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

The Lord of Hats posted:

I don't mean to say that Allison was some murderer like Moonshadow is, because she definitely isn't.
No, I'm not angry at you guys, I'm angry at the comic. Because it is trying to make exactly that comparison and has been doing so for this entire chapter and I'm calling bullshit.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Yeah, the comic rather elegantly put the whole "you're not really human, what do you know?" issue to bed in issue 4 with the younger sister and the "I can't save Dad" bit. I'm not sure why it keeps dredging it up other than for a cheap privilege metaphor.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

No, I'm not angry at you guys, I'm angry at the comic. Because it is trying to make exactly that comparison and has been doing so for this entire chapter and I'm calling bullshit.

Surely you are just misreading ~authorial intent~ my good friend :monocle:

In this issue, Alison pats Mary's hand as they commiserate over just how darn hard it is to be a superhero.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
"I'm sorry I tried to slit your throat, Allison, that sure was crazy of me. Now excuse me for a second where I talk about my chief regret being that all that murdering people I did didn't magically make the world a better place, and may have actually made it substantially worse, and not really the murders themselves!"

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Mary is basically Ostrander's Mulligan's (oops) take on Punisher only written much less maturely than Marvel ever did, and that's really... something.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 16, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'mma let Flesh Forge have this, he's earned it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Good things really do come to those who wait :boom:

e: don't mind me I'm just reviewing the thread and all the insightful commentary therein

Bruceski posted:

Allison and Moonshadow get a chance to bond and talk things out while killing him together.

Strangely prophetic

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 16, 2015

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011

The Lord of Hats posted:

"I'm sorry I tried to slit your throat, Allison, that sure was crazy of me. Now excuse me for a second where I talk about my chief regret being that all that murdering people I did didn't magically make the world a better place, and may have actually made it substantially worse, and not really the murders themselves!"

"It was so crazy of me to try and kill you, but I fully assure you that I'm not at all crazy, even though I'm fully aware that being mired in fear and hatred will make you go crazy, please feel sorry for me. I'm the real victim here"

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
look, she just needs to convince allison that she's not completely gone until she's far enough away allison can't find her

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

"I've also ensured that every rape victim I decided to "avenge" can be implicated in conspiracy and/or accessory to murder should the full extent of my involvement in these killings ever be brought to light. So instead of them remaining invisible, their names can be dragged through the mud by the law and mass media for their part in these crimes."

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Tollymain posted:

look, she just needs to convince allison that she's not completely gone until she's far enough away allison can't find her

No, she's going to try this but Alison is going to be forced kill her and everyone will cry and it will be covered up by her government handlers and that will be the end of this chapter.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So I like to read webcomic comments because they're usually really awful and I notice something that made me laugh about SFP's comments. They've been deleting pretty much anything that is even slightly critical of the current arc. There were a bunch earlier that were fairly reasonably written saying that they didn't like the way the chapter was handled and now they're all gone so that only the "this is so sad my feels" comments remain.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Straight-up diva mode.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

It just loving looks like he's a dude writing a storyline about an issue he has no way of comprehending the interpersonal nuances of and the writing of the arc falls the gently caress apart as we watch him try to figure it out in real time. It's not entirely a fantastical story where the nuances can be invented (like, superheroes), it's a story based on things that happen irl all the drat time and you can't like, half-rear end that kind of narrative because the weaknesses in the writing are so much more apparent.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Nuebot posted:

So I like to read webcomic comments because they're usually really awful and I notice something that made me laugh about SFP's comments. They've been deleting pretty much anything that is even slightly critical of the current arc. There were a bunch earlier that were fairly reasonably written saying that they didn't like the way the chapter was handled and now they're all gone so that only the "this is so sad my feels" comments remain.

That would be a bit weird, since they've got full moderation turned on - they're hand-approving every comment before it appears on the comic anyway. (They've said they might stop doing that after the comic stops being about rape.) It might just be that they got sorted below the "load more comments" line at the bottom, since Disqus sorts things based on how many times they're upvoted, not chronologically, and it's unlikely that criticism of the comic is getting upvoted by the readers.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong, just that it would be weird.

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Nuebot posted:

I mean it is pretty sad that the horrific serial killer is pretending like they are a hero, just more in the "the quality of the writing saddens me" way than actual tragedy. I guess that for some people it is unconscionable that rape victims are not able to perform a dark ritual to summon a murderous ghost to torture and kill the rapist.

• Locked thread