Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
The stopping play and moaning about lack of a decision is my only big strike against Hogans game imo. His kicking could be better, but a lot of the time he will throw his hands up after being infringed rather than contesting the ball on the ground, especially frustrating because he is actually good on the ground due to his core strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

gabensraum posted:

Yeah I see your point there. Just watched it again a few times and it's deceptive because he's already running when he receives the ball so you think he's had it a while but he only has a moment before he is tackled.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-09-13/dimma-slams-diabolical-call

I was adamant it was holding when watching live yesterday but I think you're right.
Having watched it again, I think I agree, he only had it one second (well, I'm not going to count the frames but it looked about that) and usually you get 2-3s, so I'd say it's definitely no prior. It just looked bad because of the context. What was dumb was that a lot of players were waiting for a whistle while the Roos went on a counter-attack.

On the other hand, anything that sends Richmond fans into a meltdown...

Probably a bigger issue is the non-performance of Cotchin and others. Anyway they've got a few months to muse on that.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

The Deadly Hume posted:

Having watched it again, I think I agree, he only had it one second (well, I'm not going to count the frames but it looked about that) and usually you get 2-3s, so I'd say it's definitely no prior. It just looked bad because of the context. What was dumb was that a lot of players were waiting for a whistle while the Roos went on a counter-attack.

Probably a bigger issue is the non-performance of Cotchin and others. Anyway they've got a few months to muse on that.

i didnt like that dimma had a whinge about the non call after the game instead of just criticizing his players for not playing to the whistle

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
That was actually a ripping opening round of the finals, and the only thing even approaching a blowout was Friday night, which I still thoroughly enjoyed.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

swans confirm buddy wont be playing again this year

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

:smith:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

That's a bit crook. Hopefully he gets himself right, whatever it is he's actually dealing with.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

So who are richmond going to bring in to lose next years elimination final(to Melbourne)

Bennell. He'd provide more on-field skill and off-field leadership than their whole leadership group combined. That's setting a pretty low bar though.

Just imagine the fun Dusty and Bennell could get up to!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Periphery posted:

Bennell. He'd provide more on-field skill and off-field leadership than their whole leadership group combined. That's setting a pretty low bar though.

Speaking of Richmond off field, I saw friend of the club Toby Keith bragged on his social media account about the assault charges he is now in court for.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I wonder who keeps track of these international "celebrities" that football clubs have managed to get wearing their jumper for a photo op.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Periphery posted:

i reckon jake carlisle would make great foil for riewoldt

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

friend of the club Toby Keith

Wait what?

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

tnimark posted:

Wait what?

He means Toby Mitchell.

Anyway yeah, Richmond's problem is that their list is too shallow to cover for when their leaders go missing. In a good side, the next tier steps up. For Richmond, the next tear is guys like Taylor Hunt and Kamdyn McIntosh.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Richmond are the team you support when you have no idea how this "footy" game works but hell everyone else is going for these guys.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

snaeksikn posted:

i reckon jake carlisle would make great foil for riewoldt

I wouldn't think Nick is going to be playing down back at the Saints next year? :confused:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The Deadly Hume posted:

They also conveniently ignored the North player getting taken high literally seconds earlier.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The Deadly Hume posted:

I wonder who keeps track of these international "celebrities" that football clubs have managed to get wearing their jumper for a photo op.

No one tops the Bulldogs having Wheels from Degrassi as a celebrity fan.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Shmoses posted:

He means Toby Mitchell.

gently caress. Yeah, him.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Testekill posted:

No one tops the Bulldogs having Wheels from Degrassi as a celebrity fan.

Abba for Carlton was good.

Hawks lost Friday, Swans lost Saturday, Tigers lost Sunday, Abbott loses Monday? Please make my week.

Edit:

Blues have signed an American.
http://www.carltonfc.com.au/carlton/news/2015-09-14/blues-sign-korcheck

quote:

The Carlton Football Club has signed US basketballer Matt Korcheck as a Category B International Rookie.

Korcheck, who stands at 6”10 (208cm) and weighs 105kg, caught the eye of recruiters at a Florida screening camp in April this year. He was later invited to train with the Blues and spent three weeks at Ikon Park in August.

The 23-year old, who previously played Division 1 College Basketball for the Arizona Wildcats, hasn’t played much ‘Aussie Rules’ but Carlton’s GM List Management Stephen Silvagni says Korcheck has shown great potential.

“Matt is a beast of an athlete and showed some real promise when he made the journey over in August, so we’re delighted to have the chance to explore that potential further,” Silvagni said.

“He’s a strongly built and quite powerful athlete, so when you couple that with his 208cm frame, the possibilities are endless in his development.”

Since being introduced to the game only a few months ago, Korcheck has already developed a passion for AFL and says it’s an easy game to fall in love with:

“Tackling is my favourite part of the game. I love the physicality of the sport, the conditioning and just how hard the players have to push themselves,” he said.

Korcheck has signed a two-year contract. He’s set to arrive at Ikon Park in November to commence pre-season training when the team returns from leave.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Sep 14, 2015

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I had to think if there was any correlation between Hawthorn premierships and Liberal PMs since Abbott came in just before the 2013 GF

1961 - Menzies (LP)
1971 - McMahon (LP)
1976, 78 - Fraser (LP)
1983, 86, 88, 89, 91 - Hawke (ALP)
2008 - Rudd (ALP)
2013, 14 - Abbott (LP)

But there's no real pattern, it's about six apiece. Furthermore, Hawthorn never won when Kennett was Vic premier (actually he was in favour of the merger so I'm not sure why we tolerate him, but anyway).

At least we can't have a Federal election in the middle of the finals series this year.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I should pop back into Auspol I guess.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

This reminds me, when I get done with uni for the semester I think I want to model Total Number of Wins Played In as a predictor for who wins a match.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Mark/Goal of the year finalists up on the site now.

I'd be happy with any of the three goals winning, lean towards Fyfe myself.

NicNats mark is a step above the other two imo

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

Mark/Goal of the year finalists up on the site now.

I'd be happy with any of the three goals winning, lean towards Fyfe myself.

NicNats mark is a step above the other two imo

All 3 goals are amazing. I think I have to lean towards Eddie Betts though. In the wet on the boundary 49 out with a left foot torp. Absolutely ridiculous.

I'm clearly biased but Bruce should get the mark of the year. It's definitely between him and Nic Nat though. Nic Nat got more height but Bruce got more hang time. Both took theirs over 3 players but Bruce was all opposition. 2 players were left standing after Nic Nats mark but none were after Bruce's. I don't know why any of these things matter but they do. :colbert:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Periphery posted:

All 3 goals are amazing. I think I have to lean towards Eddie Betts though. In the wet on the boundary 49 out with a left foot torp. Absolutely ridiculous.

I'm clearly biased but Bruce should get the mark of the year. It's definitely between him and Nic Nat though. Nic Nat got more height but Bruce got more hang time. Both took theirs over 3 players but Bruce was all opposition. 2 players were left standing after Nic Nats mark but none were after Bruce's. I don't know why any of these things matter but they do. :colbert:

I can see the argument for Eddie, but I always prefer the goals that are more heavy on the lead up play rather than just the kick itself, hence liking cowdude's

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

I can see the argument for Eddie, but I always prefer the goals that are more heavy on the lead up play rather than just the kick itself, hence liking cowdude's

Yeah, I tend to agree. However, sometimes the kick is just so good it makes up for it. I think that kick is probably one of those. Although, Eddie does that kind of stuff on an almost weekly basis these days.

If someone kicked a 75m torp after the siren to win a game I'd instantly give them the award and stop taking submissions.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Periphery posted:

Yeah, I tend to agree. However, sometimes the kick is just so good it makes up for it. I think that kick is probably one of those. Although, Eddie does that kind of stuff on an almost weekly basis these days.

If someone kicked a 75m torp after the siren to win a game I'd instantly give them the award and stop taking submissions.

Malcolm blight, goal of my heart

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

Malcolm blight, goal of my heart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0Ct1eNANdQ
:chanpop:

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!

Solemn Sloth posted:

Speaking of Richmond off field, I saw friend of the club Toby Keith bragged on his social media account about the assault charges he is now in court for.

Friend of Jake King, who nearly got the arse from the club for bringing him into the rooms.

snaeksikn posted:

i didnt like that dimma had a whinge about the non call after the game instead of just criticizing his players for not playing to the whistle

He answered a question, he didn't bring it up.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

StandByHard

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Periphery posted:

Eddie does that kind of stuff on an almost weekly basis these days.

Eddie has had career best season twice in a row now since joining us, GOTY for that ridiculous torp to go along with what has to be his first AA selection would be much deserved.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
nicnat's mark will win for sure, he jumped on the shoulders of a 200cm tall ruckman who was already jumping for the ball, haha its not even close

however, eddie and fyfe's goals are hard to chose from... fyfe's did have a nice build up

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I bet I know at least two of the three GOTY contenders just from watching too many games on the International Live app. All of that commentary is burned into my brain and that of my teammates at my local, so it's just nonstop "YOU CAN'T DO THAT, SURELY" and "WE'VE SEEN IT SO MANY TIMES BEFORE" during the lazy goals kicking section of practice.

[Edit] Here's a decent article on Korcheck: Link here!

He wasn't a superstar - far from it from the sounds of it - but became a really hungry yet team-focused role player on a team that played NCAA basketball at a very high level. I think Holmes played at lower-division schools, but Korcheck played at a huge, more famous and traditional power. I think he'll translate alright.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Sep 14, 2015

Applecross WC.
Sep 13, 2004
Reverence and Disregard

gay picnic defence posted:

Are Richmond fans as over/under medicated in person as they seem over the internet?

I walked back home through the CBD and expected to be abused by a Richmond fan and wasn't let down.

Crossed the road past one going in the opposite direction and he said "loving roos supporters, go and get hosed"

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

harperdc posted:

I bet I know at least two of the three GOTY contenders just from watching too many games on the International Live app. All of that commentary is burned into my brain and that of my teammates at my local, so it's just nonstop "YOU CAN'T DO THAT, SURELY" and "WE'VE SEEN IT SO MANY TIMES BEFORE" during the lazy goals kicking section of practice.

[Edit] Here's a decent article on Korcheck: Link here!

He wasn't a superstar - far from it from the sounds of it - but became a really hungry yet team-focused role player on a team that played NCAA basketball at a very high level. I think Holmes played at lower-division schools, but Korcheck played at a huge, more famous and traditional power. I think he'll translate alright.
It's been done before. Dean Brogan won national titles in both the AFL (Port) and NBL (36ers) so there's a bit of crossover as ruckmen. Which seems to be the easiest role for imports to get into if they come from other sports that need good hands and vertical leap attributes. Mike Pyke being ex-rugby, Jim Stynes, etc.

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS
Seriously surprised Xavier Ellis didn't even get a fine for that hit on Cyril, but stoked he won't miss any games

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS
Oh and throwing my vote in for cow dude, that goal was so much better than the others.

The marks are all super even, I dunno who will get that one. Nicnat probably for the height factor, but the others are both really nice too. Let's say nicnat so we can get premiership, brownlow, Coleman and MOTY all in one season ;)

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
Lindsay Thomas should be excluded from Mark of the Year because he is a oval office.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

HAHAHAHHA the FFA has beaten the AFL to employing full time referees, even while claiming they don't have cash to pay the most successful soccer players in the country a proper wage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Give the mark to Walker for 2011.

• Locked thread