Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Dexo posted:

Ehhh that's a stretch, I'm against anyone getting shot.

But that Blake is lucky that his first reaction isn't to fight back if someone is charging him. Because if some dude just starts charging me I'm about to get defensive.

I think he meant that's why people shoot cops. If some dude just runs at you and you're armed and have no idea he's a cop your instinct would justifiably be shoot the crazy guy whose running for you. You'd still be hosed since shooting a cop who didn't identify himself as a cop is irrelevant to the justice system. Only cops get to use that 'feared for my life' when murdering people.

I'm surprised there isn't more incidents of castle doctrine self defense on no-knocks at the wrong address. The one or two I have heard of the guy still got hosed because he shot (or at, have to find it) a cop despite it essentially being a bunch of people smashing in his door without any way for him to know it was police breaking down the wrong door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Toasticle posted:

I think he meant that's why people shoot cops. If some dude just runs at you and you're armed and have no idea he's a cop your instinct would justifiably be shoot the crazy guy whose running for you. You'd still be hosed since shooting a cop who didn't identify himself as a cop is irrelevant to the justice system. Only cops get to use that 'feared for my life' when murdering people.

I'm surprised there isn't more incidents of castle doctrine self defense on no-knocks at the wrong address. The one or two I have heard of the guy still got hosed because he shot (or at, have to find it) a cop despite it essentially being a bunch of people smashing in his door without any way for him to know it was police breaking down the wrong door.

There was at least one case (can't Google it right now but it's super easy to find) where a person not only shot a cop executing a no-knock warrant on the wrong house, but surprisingly the judge ruled in his favor as it was decided that there was no warning given and he was legally justified to shoot back with all of the information he had at the time.

That said, I think most cases of a homeowner mistaking overly aggressive police in the middle of the night for burglars and shooting at them tend to result in said homeowner being gunned down. Considering how many cases we've found of the police altering narratives to be more in their favor, it makes you wonder just how many apparently good shoots in SWAT raids and such were actually innocent people being killed and not having enough video or witnesses to prove otherwise. If someone has a bunch of pot that gets found during an incidental raid after the fact and he gets shot in the face for mistaking the SWAT team for burglars and attacking them and he's the only one at home, how would anybody know the cops are lying when they simply describe him as a criminal who was gunned down in a high risk raid?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
otoh, see Cory Maye

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

otoh, see Cory Maye

I can't recall the guy's name but it was an elderly black vet whose lifeline or similar monitor went off by accident, despite lifeline calling the police and saying it was a false alarm he's fine the loving scumbag cops refused to not break his door down saying poo poo like "Open the loving door friend of the family", the guy starts recording "This is my final testament I'm about to be killed by the police", cops break in an blow him away. I'll look it up later the whole thing is loving depressing as poo poo.

Edit: This guy https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Kenneth_Chamberlain,_Sr.

Two of my favorite parts:

quote:

Theirr (polices released) transcript of the incident omitted Hart's use of the word "friend of the family," as well as the information that the original call had been for a medical emergency.

quote:

camera mounted on the taser captured the tasing, but was not functioning during the shooting.

Of course secret grand jury found no reason to file any charges.

Toasticle fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 13, 2015

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

Toasticle posted:

I can't recall the guy's name but it was an elderly black vet whose lifeline or similar monitor went off by accident, despite lifeline calling the police and saying it was a false alarm he's fine the loving scumbag cops refused to not break his door down saying poo poo like "Open the loving door friend of the family", the guy starts recording "This is my final testament I'm about to be killed by the police", cops break in an blow him away. I'll look it up later the whole thing is loving depressing as poo poo.

Kenneth Chamberlain Jr, the cops who killed him on November 19, 2011 never got any time or disciplinary actions for it either.

[edit]Found it before I could respond. It's funny that a cop can die and his killer is instantly brought to justice, meanwhile cops murder this guy while shouting racial epithets and years later they still walk the street.

tezcat fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 13, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

tezcat posted:

Kenneth Chamberlain Jr, the cops who killed him on November 19, 2011 never got any time or disciplinary actions for it either.

[edit]Found it before I could respond. It's funny that a cop can die and his killer is instantly brought to justice, meanwhile cops murder this guy and years later they still walk the street.

So now that we've let the wheels of justice come to a complete stop on this case, can we now say the system is broken?

Or will the pro-brutality advocates jump out to say that this was a good shoot?

Edit:

it appears that the cop who said "friend of the family" was fired, but the PD won't say why they fired him:

quote:

"It's a small, but significant step in getting justice for the murder of my father," Kenneth Chamberlain Jr. said after being informed that Public Safety Commissioner David Chong had terminated Hart.

"(Hart) had a departmental hearing and after reviewing the findings, I thought that the best thing moving forward, for the department and the community, was that he be separated from service," Chong said.

He would not say specifically why Hart was fired.

The officer that killed Chamberlain had a long history of abuse and was already facing at abuse lawsuit at the time, but I haven't found his current employment status yet.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 13, 2015

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Trabisnikof posted:

So now that we've let the wheels of justice come to a complete stop on this case, can we now say the system is broken?

They spent a loving HOUR breaking down his door with him saying please leave me alone I'm fine the whole time. Of course according the cops a 66 year ex-marine with a heart condition attacked them with a butcher knife. I know it's Wikipedia but the autopsy showed his arm was at his side, bullet entered his right arm and ricoched through his lungs.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Of course, we just have to trust that the DA tried really hard, or just make an easy mistake that DAs make all the time or something.

It can't be that the DA threw the case because they thought the victim deserved it or because they didn't want to impact their relationship with the killer's coworkers.

Nope, in the absence of proof we must trust our authority figures know best.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Apparently there's been some new info in federal court in that case

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/local/westchester/white-plains/2015/09/08/explosive-claims-chamberlain-lawsuit/71901404/

quote:

Cohen said some of the officers stated in sworn depositions that he was still on the floor when the fatal shots were fired, while others said he was charging at Sgt. Keith Martin with a knife.

Her statements came during a hearing before U.S. District Judge Cathy Seibel. She said evidence obtained during the discovery process, including depositions obtained from the officers involved, show that Chamberlain was shot with a stun gun by Sgt. Stephen Fotrell to no effect. He was then hit with beanbags fired by Martin from a shotgun. The beanbags broke one of Chamberlain's ribs and sent him stumbling backward, to the floor.

Lalit Looma, the lawyer representing White Plains, Martin and Fottrell, said evidence will show that Chamberlain was holding a knife the entire time and after being knocked down by the beanbags "came up very quickly..." and "he was on the floor less than a second and popped back up, with the knife."

Noting that Chamberlain was "in poor health with many physical ailments," and a broken rib, Cohen said jury could reasonably infer that he "could not have utilized gymnastic speed to get back up... he would have to be Superman flying at low level."

Andrew Quinn, Carelli's lawyer, said his client had been holding his weapon pointed at the ground in "a safe, ready position" when Chamberlain got up.

Carelli "started firing as he began raising his weapon," Quinn said in trying to explain why the bullet found lodged in the wall was so close to the floor.

So the cops also shot him to death while he was on the ground, with broken ribs.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Anyone else notice the :yikes: from the dude in glasses.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Lemming posted:

Apparently there's been some new info in federal court in that case

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/local/westchester/white-plains/2015/09/08/explosive-claims-chamberlain-lawsuit/71901404/

So the cops also shot him to death while he was on the ground, with broken ribs.

God can't you read? After being shot with a beanbag breaking his rib and knocking hm to ground he sprang up in less than a second and came after a squad of heavily armed cops who just tazed and broke his rib with a butcher knife!

Duh.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The Texas Mutual Insurance Company has straight-up purchased Travis County prosecutors and uses their indictment power to turn business disputes (and workers' comp claims) into criminal cases.

quote:

Still, in exchange for guaranteed payments from Texas Mutual of more than $400,000 a year, the Travis County district attorney’s office prosecutes alleged “crimes committed against the company,” according to their contract.

Under the terms of the contract, the unit does not pursue complaints that don’t involve fraud against Texas Mutual, nor has the district attorney’s office ever prosecuted Texas Mutual Insurance.

To critics, this unique relationship gives Texas Mutual a hammer it can hold over the heads of the people it insures or hires — one no other insurance company in Texas has. Given the complexity of the workers’ compensation system, a plea deal is often the only way out, they argue.

Betty Blackwell, who represented a Southeast Texas trucking company prosecuted by the Texas Mutual-funded unit, accused the giant insurer of using the criminal justice system to collect debts it couldn’t get in the normal dispute resolution process or in state civil court.

Coming to a courtroom near you!

quote:

Funding deals allowing insurance companies to finance the costs of fraud investigations have blossomed around the nation in recent decades as lawmakers look for ways to help cash-strapped prosecutors pursue complex crimes that ultimately cause premiums to rise for everyone.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

How on earth is this legal!? :psyboom:

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

:wow: What is our Justice Department even doing? You'd think someone, somewhere, would crack down on this poo poo.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

FourLeaf posted:

:wow: What is our Justice Department even doing? You'd think someone, somewhere, would crack down on this poo poo.

Yeah where is Zurich Orbital when you need it, this should go straight to the corporate court! Thor shots for Taxas Mutual!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

FourLeaf posted:

Yeah, I duuno it's federalism or some poo poo like that?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dr Pepper posted:

Texas.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Dr Pepper posted:

Texas Mutual's charter is public and in the Texas State code.

Sec. 2054.455.

FUNDING AGREEMENTS FOR CRIMINAL PROSECUTIONS. The company may enter into funding agreements with local prosecutors to prosecute offenses against the company.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Welp, Texas is now irredeemably awful.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Dr Pepper posted:

Welp, Texas is now irredeemably awful.

Now?

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Where does it rank on the scale of Excellent to Florida?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Where does it rank on the scale of Excellent to Florida?

I went to Jacksonville and, as insanity threatened to envelop me each and every time I drove the rental, one thought kept me grounded: at least these roads aren't as bad as Texas.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Trabisnikof posted:

Think they all seem to have left, this being a den of cop hating filth and all. Or they got cranky for getting probated for constant one line phone snark posts.

Which kind of sucks, there were a couple points where the thread actually started to creep towards "This is hosed, how do we fix it" but always seemed to backslide into "It was legal so whatever".

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Toasticle posted:

Think they all seem to have left, this being a den of cop hating filth and all. Or they got cranky for getting probated for constant one line phone snark posts.

Which kind of sucks, there were a couple points where the thread actually started to creep towards "This is hosed, how do we fix it" but always seemed to backslide into "It was legal so whatever".

I mean, it's not like anyone in this thread actually wants to debate or discuss anything, so...

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shukaro posted:

I mean, it's not like anyone in this thread actually wants to debate or discuss anything, so...

Funny how the people who make that claim never seem to try to start a discussion themselves.

This thread has debated recently:

Should cops be punished for lying?
Should cops be punished for swearing?
Is it reasonable to shoot a child with a toy gun within seconds of you seeing it?
Is it constitutionally possible to make sure video evidence recorded by police equipment is admissible in court?
Does someone deserve over-punishment and wrongful conviction for waiving their rights to a lawyer?
Should every state become just like Indiana (I think)?
Will body cameras have a sufficient effect to restore community trust in police?
Are police responsible for increasing community trust?
Are communities responsible for increasing police trust?

And more I'm forgetting. So feel free to debate and discuss here. Why don't you share an opinion of yours on a topic related to police or criminal justice? Maybe try one that isn't universally held if you want to be adventurous!

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Trabisnikof posted:

Funny how the people who make that claim never seem to try to start a discussion themselves.

This thread has debated recently:

Should cops be punished for lying?
Should cops be punished for swearing?
Is it reasonable to shoot a child with a toy gun within seconds of you seeing it?
Is it constitutionally possible to make sure video evidence recorded by police equipment is admissible in court?
Does someone deserve over-punishment and wrongful conviction for waiving their rights to a lawyer?
Should every state become just like Indiana (I think)?
Will body cameras have a sufficient effect to restore community trust in police?
Are police responsible for increasing community trust?
Are communities responsible for increasing police trust?

Yeah there's not much benefit to starting a discussion when one side is just posting "I hate cops let's waive due process," strawmen, gotcha's, and anecdotes no matter what gets said or how civil everyone tries to remain.

edit for discussion content:
gently caress the Police

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Shukaro posted:

Yeah there's not much benefit to starting a discussion when one side is just posting "I hate cops let's waive due process," strawmen, gotcha's, and anecdotes no matter what gets said or how civil everyone tries to remain.

gently caress the Police

hosed up if true

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
The posts with videos of cops beating and/or shooting people are OK though, keep on truckin' with those.

Also these are nice too because lol Texas.

Syenite fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 14, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shukaro posted:

gently caress the Police

It is your mistake if you want to ignore all the content just so you can jump on a few gotchas.

But lead a horse to water etc.

(Also fabulous juxtaposition there)

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 14, 2015

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Trabisnikof posted:

It is your mistake if you want to ignore all the content just so you can jump on a few gotchas.

But lead a horse to water etc.

The water is actually just some horse poop next to a fire hydrant in this analogy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shukaro posted:

The problem you (and a bunch of other posters) seem to have is that, on a public internet forum, many people will post things and, as a result, some of those things will be dumb or incorrect. There's this one useful tip that I think might greatly improve your forum experience: ignore bad posts and respond to good ones!

There are only few posters in this thread who post or have posted dumb/wrong things, but it seems like you and others see those posts and use them as an excuse to not address the better posts. Hell, even if there were only one or two good posters, that would still be enough to have a discussion. Instead, you seem content to just point at the bad ones and go "heh look at these dummies, if only they had correct opinions like me."

I mean, if you don't feel like having your beliefs about a certain topic challenged (or don't feel like having an argument) that is totally fine, but if that's the case you just shouldn't post in a thread about that topic.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

The problem you (and a bunch of other posters) seem to have is that, on a public internet forum, many people will post things and, as a result, some of those things will be dumb or incorrect. There's this one useful tip that I think might greatly improve your forum experience: ignore bad posts and respond to good ones!

There are only few posters in this thread who post or have posted dumb/wrong things, but it seems like you and others see those posts and use them as an excuse to not address the better posts. Hell, even if there were only one or two good posters, that would still be enough to have a discussion. Instead, you seem content to just point at the bad ones and go "heh look at these dummies, if only they had correct opinions like me."

I mean, if you don't feel like having your beliefs about a certain topic challenged (or don't feel like having an argument) that is totally fine, but if that's the case you just shouldn't post in a thread about that topic.

Hey, I've got free time, I'm up for debating & discussing if you want. Shoot.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shukaro posted:

Hey, I've got free time, I'm up for debating & discussing if you want. Shoot.

For example you seem to think that "it is impossible to ensure that body cameras or dash cameras are admissible as evidence without violating the constitutional rights of the police officer being recorded". Is that correct?

If so, why do you think a chain of evidence structure where someone in IA (or the video tech or w/e) is able to authenticate the video would be impossible to create within the constitution?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Trabisnikof posted:

For example you seem to think that "it is impossible to ensure that body cameras or dash cameras are admissible as evidence without violating the constitutional rights of the police officer being recorded". Is that correct?

If so, why do you think a chain of evidence structure where someone in IA (or the video tech or w/e) is able to authenticate the video would be impossible to create within the constitution?

I don't think I've ever made a post where I said I thought that, but OK. (Correct me if I forgot a post somewhere though.)

It's perfectly possible, and (the not insanely lovely) police departments like having cameras because it can cut down on random complaints where the officer was perfectly behaved. It's not really a constitutional issue though, just a big ol' budget+bureaucratic+regulatory one. The DoJ could easily say "Hey y'all you gotta have cameras meeting these specs, here's some sick dosh for that also if you don't in a few months we're gonna sue your lazy asses." but budget+beuracracy.

Next.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
it's not that people don't want to debate and discuss (at least from what i've observed), it's that the sides are often talking past each other. there have been several "pro-police" posters who just approach everything from an angle of "is the cop acting within the bounds of the law" which I don't think anyone is relying on on the "anti-police" side--the latter is more interested in whether cops are behaving justly and how to improve the percentage of cops behaving justly, acting in good faith, etc. If new laws are a route to that then great

if you can't agree on what you're discussing you can't really discuss, and especially on this forum things quickly degenerate.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape
The massive problem for months has been discussion shut down because people seem to think pointing out that what happened in this weeks today's death by cop was technically legal when the discussion is trying to be "Ok fine, no laws were broken in this case but it still ended up with someone dead because they flashed their headlights/Cops was a complete fuckup (The kid with the blown gun blown away in .3 seconds while the cop nearly fell out of his car)/didn't put out a cigarette/(some other didn't prostate themselves properly)" so how do we fix things so that is not the outcome. Usually followed up with people who don't know the law throwing out ideas and being ridiculed for hating the constitution.

Take old sarge. For pages and pages people were trying to get ANYONE to at least acknowledge non-wife-killing sergeants don't get to wander around armed, keep shooting the possible living victim while the cops put together a photo album of his kids then hug him. Nearly every reply was "So you think its easy to shoot your friend, whats wrong with you" completely ignoring the issue people have that all suspects should get that treatment not just their buddies. Which the common reply was "What, you think shooting a fiend is easy? Whats wrong with you".

That's not discussion. The people most accusing of their not being a discussion were the most egregious in trying to shut down discussions because posters weren't cops/lawyers and didn't understand the law/how hard it is to be a cop enough to have opinions.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Toasticle posted:

Shukaro posted:

Pretty much. We "racists" are still lurking, but you dont really want anything from us. Wouldnt want to legitimize the "other side" by bringing another point of view you dont want to hear to the table.

Hey, looks like Matt Damon expressed an opinion to a black woman filmmaker. Like he knows anything about filmmaking or diversity. loving white dudes, amirite?

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 14, 2015

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Pretty much. We "racists" are still lurking, but you dont really want anything from us. Wouldnt want to legitimize the "other side" by bringing another point of view you dont want to hear to the table.

Hey, Matt Damon expressed an opinion to a black woman filmmaker. Like he knows anything about filmmaking or diversity. loving white dudes, amirite?

What does Matt Damon have to do with the disturbing trend of police killing unarmed black people?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
itt we take personal offense that one crazy poster called someone a racist and thus generalize an entire side of an argument.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Talmonis posted:

What does Matt Damon have to do with the disturbing trend of police killing unarmed black people?

Please don't ask me :shrug:

• Locked thread