Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Silver2195 posted:

Sixth category: Same as the fifth, but the originators of the cult are charlatans instead of madmen. The snake-god Glycon is an actual recorded example of this.

Wikipedia posted:

According to Lucian, Alexander had less magical ways of causing pregnancy among his flock as well.
:heysexy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quift
May 11, 2012

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Citation needed.

Why? Would an appeal to authority make you read my reading differently? None of this is facts. All of this is interpretations of narratives. Something all people can do.

My reading is not true, nor is it false. It is interesting. The point I'm trying to make is that myths should be read as condensed information which can be interpreted historically (actual events), religiously (what defines a human), politically (this is why Athens has no kings!) etc.

The correct interpretation of a myth is therefor a political question. If an authority claims that there is a correct reading that is less subversive than yours that is a political act. That story about a demigod who claimed all rich people were assholes who could not get to heaven serves as an obvious example. You can either interpret that as a consolation to the poor, or as revolutionary. Both interpretations are valid, although I obviously prefer one over the other. But then again I'm a Christian who believes we can create paradise on earth if people were more kind to each other. I do not interpret the teachings of Jesus as there being an actual after life. You might claim that is heresy, which it obviously is. But again, heresy is what power calls interpretations that are not in beneficial to the church. So, politics.
___

As I stated the myths get altered over time to adapt and integrate more information. So they may describe several different events at the same time.

Which given that they were used in a culture without texts is quite obvious. We on the other hand live in culture of thousands of years of literacy. Something which has seriously altered the way we intact with stories.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

quote:

Re: the origin of gods and myths, I don't think all gods got started the same way. Someone like Aphrodite might have started as a poetic metaphor and gradually became literalized into an actual being to appease and ask for help

I thought Aphrodite was imported from the Phoencians and inserted into the Greek pantheon?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

sullat posted:

I thought Aphrodite was imported from the Phoencians and inserted into the Greek pantheon?

Weirdly enough, wiki suggests that she may have derived from an Indo-European goddess of dawn, which actually does go against my idea that she originated as a personification of love. As I said, that whole post was unscholarly speculation.

Saying that she was originally a Phoenician goddess doesn't explain why the Phoenicians started believing in her in the first place, though.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah Eros, Aphrodite, Ishtar, Eoster, all probably the same goddess imported because temple prostitutes and sex mystery cults are the sort of thing people twig to.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Quift posted:

Why? Would an appeal to authority make you read my reading differently?

If you could show some evidence that your interpretation isn't just something you made up doing shrooms on the toilet, than yes I would. That's how making an argument works.

quote:

None of this is facts. All of this is interpretations of narratives. Something all people can do.

So what? I can interpret the Iliad to actually be a veiled reference to Homer selling running a Philly Cheesesteak stand in Athens. That doesn't mean anyone is required to take my interpretation seriously, and indeed they shouldn't because it's nonsense that I just made up.

quote:

My reading is not true, nor is it false. It is interesting.

It's also completely unsupported by anything at all. You're being derided because you've presented no evidence. You might as well say that Agamemnon was a six foot tall frog monster from Sheboygan.

quote:

The correct interpretation of a myth is therefor a political question.

This is pretty much counter to everything I've ever read about ancient mythology.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wow I interpret this as you being really hostile for some reason that must be internal to yourself.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Weirdly enough, wiki suggests that she may have derived from an Indo-European goddess of dawn, which actually does go against my idea that she originated as a personification of love. As I said, that whole post was unscholarly speculation.

Saying that she was originally a Phoenician goddess doesn't explain why the Phoenicians started believing in her in the first place, though.

Oh, sorry, the Phoenician goddess of fertility Astarte/Ishtar is, like, one of the oldest worshipped divine concepts in the world, right after bearded sky-dude.

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah Eros, Aphrodite, Ishtar, Eoster, all probably the same goddess imported because temple prostitutes and sex mystery cults are the sort of thing people twig to.

Religion just isn't what it used to be.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

homullus posted:

For "history of Rome books" I'll make the unusual recommendation of starting with Colleen McCullough. In the course of telling the stories, she shows you the politics of the Roman republic rather than telling you about them. I didn't read all of them, so I can't vouch for the whole series, but the first couple will get you through Marius and Sulla. It's much easier to hang the contents of a nonfiction Roman history book or three onto an existing understanding, even if that base was achieved by historical fiction.

These books are what kicked off a (greater) interest in Roman history for me, beyond the basic knowledge of major events I'd kind of just picked up throughout the years. They're drat good reads and do a pretty good job of laying out a generally accurate timeline of events, though McCullough makes no bones about the fact they are absolutely fiction and her accounts of characters/personalities/motivations are largely her own creation even if they based on real life events. She had a real blind spot for Caesar too, justifying his actions sometimes to an absurd degree and really idealizing him as a character, but otherwise she is pretty evenhanded in her treatment of the major personalities and doesn't shy away from showing their bad sides (perhaps too much so in Sulla's case).

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Arglebargle III posted:

Wow I interpret this as you being really hostile for some reason that must be internal to yourself.

Atlantischat makes me angry.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

So to change the subject a bit, I've started watching the Three Kingdoms series shared earlier in the thread and it's pretty great, but I feel like I don't quite understand some of the social context of the late Han setting. A couple questions:

The characters occasionally refer to clans, and the characters occasionally meet distant relatives they seem obligated to support but don't know very well. Are these simply extended families or is there a more complex kinship system at work here?

The characters, especially in the first few episodes before everything really goes bottoms up, frequently reference their position in some kind of feudal system of ranked social classes, with characters like Cao Cao and Lu Bu appearing to be minor nobles. Liu Bie, by virtue of his imperial lineage, is respected despite his poverty. People like Sun Quan Wang Yun appear to have well established pedigrees. However appointment seems to be by merit and at the Emperor's or a Lord's discretion, so what is the meaning of good birth? How does the Han peerage system work?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Squalid posted:

The characters occasionally refer to clans, and the characters occasionally meet distant relatives they seem obligated to support but don't know very well. Are these simply extended families or is there a more complex kinship system at work here?

The characters, especially in the first few episodes before everything really goes bottoms up, frequently reference their position in some kind of feudal system of ranked social classes, with characters like Cao Cao and Lu Bu appearing to be minor nobles. Liu Bie, by virtue of his imperial lineage, is respected despite his poverty. People like Sun Quan Wang Yun appear to have well established pedigrees. However appointment seems to be by merit and at the Emperor's or a Lord's discretion, so what is the meaning of good birth? How does the Han peerage system work?

This is a good question and I"m not 100% sure on it myself. Liu Bei is a poor noble, which is pretty understandable from a Western historical perspective. In the show they list his lineage, and he's like 9 generations removed from a cadet branch of the Imperial family. His father had no position and I think his grandfather failed to pay the Imperial dues to remain an official member of the Imperial house. With China's polygamist marriage system there were a lot of Imperial scions many generations removed. Liu Bei is seriously a nobody and the novel and Emperor Xian both exaggerate his importance for their own reasons.

I think Sun Jian and Cao Cao are actually "new men" in the sense that while they may come from powerful and wealthy clans that wealth and power doesn't go very far back. The 2nd century was a time when the nobility succeeded in arrogating power to themselves very rapidly. 200 years previously Wang Mang had instituted harsh land redistribution but I don't know too much about how wealthy families came through that. It suggests that few families maintained their fortunes though. Cao Cao traces his aristocratic lineage back only four generations, to a wealthy and powerful court eunuch who legally adopted Cao Cao's grandfather. The Sun family I don't know about, but Sun Jian was basically a low-level general with a lot of talent and the Sun family as we think of them with the Jiangdong region as their power base didn't exist until Sun Ce went out conquering in the early 200s. Sun Quan inherits the title of Marquis of Wu from Sun Ce... who only got it like two years before his death.

Oh also the Han peerage system existed in parallel to the Legalist state bureaucracy. Through the 1st century BC the bureaucracy would have been a lot more important. The aristocracy got really stomped in the Revolt of the Seven States in the early Han dynasty. From 130 AD onward though the aristocrats managed to get sale of state titles legalized. By the end of the 2nd century the wealthy and powerful families had largely displaced the examination-selected petty aristocracy in the state bureaucracy.

I sort of get the sense that in the 190s the noble families are making it up as they go along. Technically, they're not supposed to be serving themselves. Instead they're supposed to be serving the Emperor, and theoretically all titles flow from him. But the collapse of that fiction is precisely what's going on the late 190s and early 200s, so they're all just winging it. I mean the Gongsuns and Caos and Suns kind of stick together, but there are Lius fighting each other, and Yuan Shao and Yuan Shu are brothers and they're the heads of opposing coalitions!

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 14, 2015

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Speaking of interpreting myths, there's a hilarious review of The Greek Myths on Amazon about applying Robert Grave's White Goddess thing to Cinderella:

Kelly on Amazon posted:

"I could make a hobby out of "Graves-izing" popular stories. How about Cinderella? If Robert Graves got hold of that story, he'd say something like this: "Cinderella's name means Ash-lady, which denotes her as the ash-pale Death-goddess of winter. She and her two stepsisters form the classic Triple Goddess. Originally, the sisters' names were probably Destruction and Pestilence. Cinderella's transformation at the hands of the Fairy Godmother was really a late patriarchal addition; no doubt the original goddess transformed herself, showing her Love-goddess face rather than her more spectral one. Her dance with the Prince is an example of the White Goddess's choice of the King of the Waxing Year as her consort. In the version that has come down to us, she loses her shoe, but certainly in the uncorrupted, original myth, it was the Prince who lost his shoe, as the sacrificial king was often marked by a limp. This can be seen in the Welsh story of Math ap Mathonwy, and Dionysos's epithets also hinted at lameness. At the hour of midnight, that is to say, the witching hour, Cinderella reveals her terrible, ravening face by turning back into the ragged Death-goddess. Undoubtedly, the story ended with Cinderella's murder of the Prince, and her mourning for him by painting her face with the ashes of his funeral pyre, as the Welsh women mourned for Llew Llaw Gyffes. The happy ending we are familiar with is actually the record of the patriarchal takeover, when the White Goddess was forcibly married to the Year-King who had become the supreme god of the new mythology."

Speaking of, is the Greek Myths worth picking up? I feel like it'd be really annoying having to read his weird theory no one but modern day pagans seems to be into, but I heard he does a really thorough job in relating the actual myths.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

As one of those actual pagans, gently caress Robert Graves and the horse he rode in on. If anyone can read The White Goddess and come even close to figuring out what he was getting at I'll be amazed. It's incomprehensible garbage.

I really like the way he writes in his novels, although he really flogs his waning moon bitch-goddess theory hardcore. Also, his translation of 'The Golden rear end' is the best I've read. I would say the way he tells the stories and myths is great, however, his interpretation of them is as suspect as anything written by, say, Marija Gimbutas.

Graves' bullshit tree calendar continues to be a scourge upon us to this very day.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Mad Hamish posted:

As one of those actual pagans, gently caress Robert Graves and the horse he rode in on. If anyone can read The White Goddess and come even close to figuring out what he was getting at I'll be amazed. It's incomprehensible garbage.

I really like the way he writes in his novels, although he really flogs his waning moon bitch-goddess theory hardcore. Also, his translation of 'The Golden rear end' is the best I've read. I would say the way he tells the stories and myths is great, however, his interpretation of them is as suspect as anything written by, say, Marija Gimbutas.

Graves' bullshit tree calendar continues to be a scourge upon us to this very day.

drat, where were you when I was asking for which translations of the Golden rear end I should put on my Christmas list?

And I meant no offense re: modern pagans, I could never make sense of his theory either, though like you I love his fiction and Goodbye To All That is also a powerful book.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'm sorry! I don't like phone posting and I'm usually reading the forums while on the bus or something. But yeah, Graves' translation gets a lot of the comedy across. I've read 3 or 4 versions of The Golden rear end and his actually made me laugh.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Mad Hamish posted:

As one of those actual pagans,

rofl

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Tao Jones posted:

The earliest possible date for Homer as a (at least semi-mythical) person is estimated at 1102 BC, with around 850 BC being the latest estimated date. Hesiod, the other famous Greek religious poet, is estimated at 750 BC as the earliest date he could have lived. It's supposed that the epics were codified and written down around 700-600 BC, but we have no way of knowing when people started telling stories about these figures or formulating religious ritual around them. I would speculate people weren't telling stories about Achilles in 11,000 BC, though.

I believe the oldest Troy is about 1800BC but the War more then likely takes place around 1200BC during the Doric invasion.

I've been reading about the records of pre-Pharaonic Egypt and some of the crazy theories people believe about that. It makes Dalel look normal.

Quift
May 11, 2012

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

If you could show some evidence that your interpretation isn't just something you made up doing shrooms on the toilet, than yes I would. That's how making an argument works.

So what? I can interpret the Iliad to actually be a veiled reference to Homer selling running a Philly Cheesesteak stand in Athens. That doesn't mean anyone is required to take my interpretation seriously, and indeed they shouldn't because it's nonsense that I just made up.

It's also completely unsupported by anything at all. You're being derided because you've presented no evidence. You might as well say that Agamemnon was a six foot tall frog monster from Sheboygan.

This is pretty much counter to everything I've ever read about ancient mythology.

I make no separation between ancient and contemporaries myths. All myths are interpreted differently even today. Some interpretations are more canon than others of course.

Now, it doesn't matter if I made it up during a nice session of shrooms or if a professor did the shrooms. The argument stands or falls independently. That is how an argument works. For more information about the subject of arguments, see logic.

I had plenty of sources in my original source and did not alter a single piece of the story.

https://youtu.be/C_Gz_iTuRMM

This is a retelling of karate kid. It is neither true nor false. Is is hilarious.

Now, you do not need to agree with my reading. If you feel that I have misunderstood the symbolism please feel free to add to the discussion.

The point is that myths should be read like this. Not as a list of facts people believed at face value. This is basically the opposite of thinking that there is a place in Bolivia were Atlantis used to be. Atlantis was a symbol (still is) made to illustrate a point. To really hammer this down, a point about governance. Politics!

So everything you have learned about myths actually support my view. Some basic humility (not thinking that I'm an idiot beforehand and actually reading my post) would have shown you that.

So an excuse is in order. Thank you.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm going to request Hubble time to find Coruscant.

Quift
May 11, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm going to request Hubble time to find Coruscant.

The hubble telescope is up my rear end.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

In honor of the heavy drinking I'm going to do because of this derail, did the Romans drink other stuff than wine, were there any class or cultural differences where some groups drank other things or drink their wine differently, and were there any interesting shifts in that over time?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

xthetenth posted:

In honor of the heavy drinking I'm going to do because of this derail, did the Romans drink other stuff than wine, were there any class or cultural differences where some groups drank other things or drink their wine differently, and were there any interesting shifts in that over time?

Mead was also a thing as was beer and barley wine.Tacitus was apparently rather disparaging about German beer.

Wine of various description and adulterations was definitely more the thing in Rome.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

xthetenth posted:

According to Diocletian's price edict, Egyptian beer was the Bud Light Lime of the ancient world and should be sold for considerably less than any other variety.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

xthetenth posted:

You need to drink for better reasons. Like the reason that you've given up on life.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

As anu baka who has watched Firefly would now, egyptian beerw as the "mudder's milk" of the anicent world. Similarly, Ramesesss the IIIIrd stole a million moneys from the Israelitse and retisttributed it to Bernie Sanders, the goblins.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Arglebargle III posted:

As anu baka who has watched Firefly would now, egyptian beerw as the "mudder's milk" of the anicent world. Similarly, Ramesesss the IIIIrd stole a million moneys from the Israelitse and retisttributed it to Bernie Sanders, the goblins.

Phone broken or already drunk in the afternoon?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
people from the germanosphere have no right to throw shade on day-drinking

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

JaucheCharly posted:

Phone broken or already drunk in the afternoon?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Was Atlantis Real?!?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Not shaming daydrinking. Some of the best memories that other people have of me involve daydrinking.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Friendly Tumour posted:

Was Atlantis Real?!?

We just finished this discussion a few pages back. Go back about 5 or 6 pages and enjoy.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dalael posted:

We just finished this discussion a few pages back. Go back about 5 or 6 pages and enjoy.

wow

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

What, would you rather we revisit the whole thing? I will not answer no to this question. And I've posted enough about it for a while.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dalael posted:

What, would you rather we revisit the whole thing? I will not answer no to this question. And I've posted enough about it for a while.

wowwwww

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Here is when you say No. Then says the texts itself says its not real.
Then, I point out it states 22 times in the text that it is (which in itself proves nothing), but not once that it isn't.

Then we argue about some other details, goal posts gets moved, I link sources, then you claim: But he didn't use the proper method, ergo it can't be true.

We argue some more, and in the end neither one of us changed our minds.

OR, he can go back a few pages, read the whole thing. Have a few laughs at the silliness of the whole argument and we don't go on another derail. Instead, we can focus on stuff we know to be true history, which is what this thread was intended for.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

shut the gently caress up

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
i dont know how daleal consistently manages to be the dumbest motherfucker on a forum that hosts tcc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
take your meds dalael