Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bercow's breakneck pivot from hard-right to soft-left is still one of the most endearing spins I've seen in politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I see hardly any tories have bothered to show up

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

forkboy84 posted:

It's an utterly terrifying act of spin. How can these people get away with trying to take Labour laws back to the 19th century?

I want McDonnell to stand up and verbally eviscerate him...

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Bercow's breakneck pivot from hard-right to soft-left is still one of the most endearing spins I've seen in politics.

Is there anywhere I can read about this? I have kind of missed whatever it is that has happened with Bercow. Is it just on the issue of Unions that he comes over to the left, or has he shifted as a whole?

e; read not lead

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Venmoch posted:

I don't think anyone in the Conservative Party knows what a Union is for or really does. But then again, I'm fairly certain none of them where ever a member of one.

I think you'll find most of their top bods were members of the Oxford Union. :colbert:

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

What are the odds of this passing? It looks like the Tory benches are mostly empty.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Another Person posted:

Is there anywhere I can lead about this? I have kind of missed whatever it is that has happened with Bercow. Is it just on the issue of Unions that he comes over to the left, or has he shifted as a whole?

Nothing to hand - I've mostly picked it up from biographical articles on him. But apparently he was part of the Tory hard-right when he entered parliament.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
"People don't strike for the hell of it" "So why strike at all :v:"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

PiCroft posted:

What are the odds of this passing? It looks like the Tory benches are mostly empty.

Almost certain. There's not going to be enough Tories willing to rebel against it. They'll turn up when it's time to vote.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Argh, I hate these fuckwits...

"This protects the rights of hard working people!"

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

"Strikers get almost no pay while striking and have families to look after, nobody strikes for the hell of it, they strike because they NEED to"

'Yes exactly, striking should be a last resort so this bill is good, I believe that's what the honourable lady is saying'

:fuckoff:

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!

spectralent posted:

"People don't strike for the hell of it" "So why strike at all :v:"

"YouGov says that Londoners voted for these new laws"

But Londoners are a bunch of moany wankers who get visibly angry when the bus passes them because its too full.

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

PiCroft posted:

Most of them wont listen to the arguments, they will swan in later on tonight when its time to vote.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
jacob rees-moggs voice is always a good laugh to listen to

everyone must've hated him in school

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Holy gently caress if he says "What I wish to highlight" again I hope someone punches him. You can't highlight the entire text dipshit.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Venmoch posted:

"YouGov says that Londoners voted for these new laws"

But Londoners are a bunch of moany wankers who get visibly angry when the bus passes them because its too full.

And then blame the people on the buses, rather than the company that cuts services to increase profits.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

"I realise that a tiny minority of people do these things, but shouldn't we make all our decisions based on them?"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Another Person posted:

jacob rees-moggs voice is always a good laugh to listen to

everyone must've hated him in school

Yes, even by Eton standards Rees-Mogg is a parody of his class.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
"Why is the public sector poo poo"

"Because public sector workers are scum"

"Aren't you an MP"

"I'm a hardworking entrepreneur that gets on (the expenses)"

loving armbands. Christ. What will the symbol for trade unionists be? A five pointed loving star?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Renaissance Robot posted:

This week on BBC news: robbits are coming to TEK YER JERBS. This bad because the only way for you to stay alive is to be enslaved to capital.

Smh. I'm not surprised, just disappointed. Honest journalism about the future of robotics would require asking some actually hard questions about why the status quo exists, whether it needs to, and if comforting notions like "it's okay because machines can't make art" are even true.

Zephro posted:

It obviously isn't true unless you literally believe that human minds are supernatural.

edit: I mean we might never figure out in practise but it's certainly possible in principle. Unless you think the brain runs on fairy dust.

Computers create art all the time. Procedurally generated imagery and algorithmically generated music are the obvious examples. That deep dream poo poo also fits as it tends to make people feel a mixture of excitement and repulsion for various reasons. Hell you could even argue about certain photoshop plugins and automation features being machine-art. Of course this all depends on your definition of art. "Sensory stimulus, created by directed action, resulting in an emotional reaction." Seems pretty broad but even some traditional art forms fall outside that.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Robot chat: they absolutely are coming to take our jobs, and not necessarily just in the areas you'd expect. Obviously things like agriculture, production lines and quality assurance already use automation extensively and are only doing more of it, but areas like healthcare, construction, search and rescue are getting in on it too.

Only robotics scientists like me will be safe.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Nothing to hand - I've mostly picked it up from biographical articles on him. But apparently he was part of the Tory hard-right when he entered parliament.

The impression I get is that he came into the commons quite naive/idealistic about politics and has shifted over the years after realising how many people at the top are absolute bastards - this would explain his running for speaker, since the speaker's role (which he has embraced with a lack of bias) is all about pushing the commons to behave as it is supposed to

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!
I'm not sure I trust anyone that mandates the usage of armbands for identification purposes. :godwin:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Phoon posted:

The impression I get is that he came into the commons quite naive/idealistic about politics and has shifted over the years after realising how many people at the top are absolute bastards - this would explain his running for speaker, since the speaker's role (which he has embraced with a lack of bias) is all about pushing the commons to behave as it is supposed to

Pretty much. I always maintain that there are two kind of Tory (voter) - the naïve or the evil. Bercow strikes me as the former. His wife likewise *innocent face*

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Verizian posted:

Computers create art all the time. Procedurally generated imagery and algorithmically generated music are the obvious examples. That deep dream poo poo also fits as it tends to make people feel a mixture of excitement and repulsion for various reasons. Hell you could even argue about certain photoshop plugins and automation features being machine-art. Of course this all depends on your definition of art. "Sensory stimulus, created by directed action, resulting in an emotional reaction." Seems pretty broad but even some traditional art forms fall outside that.

Also depending on your definition of 'create'. Those procedures and algorithms are written by human beings.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ahaha holy christ, someone from Eton pipes up and says 'you could say the trade unions are guilty of mis-selling because members don't know what they're buying!' and gets called eloquent. This is the worst, is this actually gonna pass with the tory majority or are there enough rebels to sink it?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

feedmegin posted:

Also depending on your definition of 'create'. Those procedures and algorithms are written by human beings.

Well you can also create evolutionary algorithms. While a human may have generated the initial code eventually it becomes significantly modified enough to say that the machine is responsible for the output, even if you'd credit the creator for their 'seed' value.

Spreading seed jokes go here.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

baka kaba posted:

Ahaha holy christ, someone from Eton pipes up and says 'you could say the trade unions are guilty of mis-selling because members don't know what they're buying!' and gets called eloquent. This is the worst, is this actually gonna pass with the tory majority or are there enough rebels to sink it?

it will pass

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Alan Johnson just laid a sick burn at least

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Out of interest, why does this thread have such a thing for Stella Creasy? Looking at her bio, it seems like a classic case of privileged background -> Lobbyist / PR Consultant -> political speechwriter -> councillor -> mayor -> Young Fabians -> MP. No "proper job" outside politics - she looks just as much of a careerist as the other leadership candidates were. She was actually employed as a lobbyist too - I would have thought she would be up against the wall for that alone.

quote:

Born in Sutton Coldfield,[4] she is the daughter of Cambridge graduates Corinna Frances Avril (née Martin, on 26 April 1948) and Philip Charles Creasy M.A., both active Labour Party members; her father is a trained opera singer and her mother a headteacher.[5] Her mother, Corinna, attended St. Margaret's School in Bushey, Hertfordshire before going up to Homerton-cum-Newnham College, Cambridge to read education studies where she graduated with a Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) degree. Her elder brother, Matthew Henry Creasy (born 1974), is an M.A. (Cantab) and D.Phil. (Oxon) and an academic.[6]

Creasy has aristocratic family connections on her mother's side, including with the Howards, Earls of Carlisle (through whom she is related to Polly Toynbee), the Cayzer family and the present (9th) Viscount Gort who is her fourth cousin.[7][8][9][10] [11]

After spending early childhood in Manchester, her family moved to Colchester where Creasy attended Colchester County High School for Girls, a grammar school.[5] Although she initially failed the eleven-plus exam, the Creasy family's move south gave her a second chance.[5] Creasy attended Magdalene College, Cambridge where she read Social and Political Sciences before pursuing postgraduate studies at London School of Economics.

In 2006, having already started work as a parliamentary researcher, she completed her thesis entitled Understanding the lifeworld of social exclusion, receiving a PhD degree in Social Psychology from University of London.[12] Creasy also received the Richard Titmuss Award for her academic psychology papers.
Early political career

Creasy worked as a lobbyist and PR consultant, becoming head of Public Affairs at the Scout Association.[13]

A former deputy director of a think tank, Involve, she worked as a researcher and speech writer for various Labour government ministers, notably Douglas Alexander, Charles Clarke and Ross Cranston.[14][15]

Elected as a councillor in Waltham Forest, Creasy later became the borough's Deputy Mayor before serving as Mayor for four months prior to her election to the House of Commons.[14]

Creasy was a member of the Young Fabians and served on its executive. In 2009 she co-wrote, with Rachel Reeves, a pamphlet for the Young Fabians entitled The New Progressives.[16]

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

It's an utterly terrifying act of spin. How can these people get away with trying to take Labour laws back to the 19th century?
I think you'll find that the 19th century was a period of impressive growth for Britain because of the freedom of the workers to innovate, allowing them to escape from their unfortunate poverty (probably created by the previous Labour government) and become wealthy industrialists with fancy hats.

I'm sure some of the cabinet believe this too.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

I think you'll find that the 19th century was a period of impressive growth for Britain because of the freedom of the workers to innovate, allowing them to escape from their unfortunate poverty (probably created by the previous Labour government) and become wealthy industrialists with fancy hats.

I'm sure some of the cabinet believe this too.

At least there were jobs in the 19th century I guess?

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

This TU bill is loving tyrannical and the guardian frontpage is still primarily about the number of women in the shadow cabinet

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Jesus the Tories are a slick operation. Constantly reinforcing their own narrative, labour seem to be all at sea. Passionate but a bit useless.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Phoon posted:

This TU bill is loving tyrannical and the guardian frontpage is still primarily about the number of women in the shadow cabinet

I'm sorry you're sexist and don't see the fact that Corbyn has an all-male shadow cabinet (apart from a few women chucked into poo poo positions) isn't more important than legislation seeking to further restrict worker rights. :smug:

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Prince John posted:

Out of interest, why does this thread have such a thing for Stella Creasy? Looking at her bio, it seems like a classic case of privileged background -> Lobbyist / PR Consultant -> political speechwriter -> councillor -> mayor -> Young Fabians -> MP. No "proper job" outside politics - she looks just as much of a careerist as the other leadership candidates were. She was actually employed as a lobbyist too - I would have thought she would be up against the wall for that alone.
I think it's just the fact that she was the strongest performing female candidate for deputy and with the gender balance and conciliation issues she seemed like an obvious choice.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

notaspy posted:

Jesus the Tories are a slick operation. Constantly reinforcing their own narrative, labour seem to be all at sea. Passionate but a bit useless.

I'm not able to watch, but this shadow cabinet has been put together less than a day. Hardly surprising that they're finding their feet.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Hahahahaha, "how dare people who have experience with trade unions be allowed to talk about this bill about regulating trade unions". loving prick.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
That was a nice "gently caress off mate" from Bercow on the declarations there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

notaspy posted:

What can they do? How many people are going to change their minds here?

• Locked thread