Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I can't quite get shocked that people like the prequels after that circlejerk of a CineD thread.

That said, while they're poo poo, they're kind of spectacularly poo poo and are thus pretty memorable.

Age of Ultron is just kind of... meh. My impression of that movie is "well, this sure is some superheroes doing superhero things, totally not getting tired of seeing the same stuff over and over, nosiree." It was really inoffensive, though. Nothing about it really pissed me off or got on my nerves, I was just kind of bored.

I often say that Star Wars and Star Trek have different ways of being bad. When Star Trek is bad, it's usually just bland and forgettable like most of Voyager. Although of course, there are a few exceptions, like turning into a Salamander because you went warp 10 or Spock getting his brain scooped out by cavemen. Star Trek: Insurrection is a perfect example. I've seen that movie more than once, and I still can't remember what the gently caress happened in it.

Now when Star Wars is bad, it goes balls deep into a screaming hog while shooting full-auto rifles into the air. It goes Jar Jar Binks, bad guy with lightsaber knees and people banging giant ferrets bad.

I'd actually think I'd rather watch the prequels again over Age of Ultron. Woah, hold on, don't kill me now. I'm not saying they're good movies. They are hilariously inept. I also don't hate Age of Ultron and have nothing really against it (in fact Age of Ultron elicits pretty much zero feelings from me.)

But beneath all the terrible writing, acting, special effects and direction, there are actually some cool ideas here and there. And some fun parts, like whenever the Emperor decides to chew the scenery. The actual general story outline behind the prequels is pretty decent, it's just that the execution was botched in a spectacular way because George Lucas can't write or direct to save his life. If he had gotten someone like Kasdan to write or Spielberg to direct, they could have taken George's basic story outline and wound up with good movies. Clone Wars is basically them taking that same material and doing it with a modicum of competence.

That said, Attack of the Clones is by far the worst and doesn't have any entertainment value at all while the other two have a few fun scenes here and there. That movie is a loving chore to watch. The only good things about it are when the Imperial March plays at the end and when the movie came out I was being a horny teenager and paying more attention to my girlfriend at the time when we were in the theater. Episode III at least has Obi-Wan and the Emperor and Episode I has some cool effects shots. Episode II is just the most boring poo poo imaginable with awful love scenes sprinkled in here and there.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

So between CineD liking the prequels and liking the Transformers films, I'm pretty comfortable with my decision to never go in there.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CineD is fine. I hate the prequels and love them Marvel movies. I probably don't fit in, but eh.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The Rage posted:

So between CineD liking the prequels and liking the Transformers films, I'm pretty comfortable with my decision to never go in there.

I'm getting semi-hyped for TFA, so I poked my head into the Star Wars thread to see if they were talking about the upcoming movie.

Nope, that was a terrible loving idea. Burn CineD to the ground, put SMG's and Cnut the Great's severed heads on stakes to set an example for all those who might follow them.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

While I really don't like SMG at all in anyway, I think it's weird you think he should be dead and displayed. Just kinda odd.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
He's also talking about burning to the ground something that is not a physical place.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I really wish nerds would just throw their hands up and stop spending $20+ on mass market stuff like Star Wars and Marvel Legends. Really tell these companies "this poo poo is $10-13 quality"

But nerds are the biggest case of "bark is worse than their bite" ever

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SpikeMcclane posted:

He's also talking about burning to the ground something that is not a physical place.

It's represented physically somewhere!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

While I really don't like SMG at all in anyway, I think it's weird you think he should be dead and displayed. Just kinda odd.

It's almost like I'm making an exaggeration and don't literally want some guys on the Internet to be executed in real life and a non-physical Internet forum burned down which isn't even possible.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Nut Bunnies posted:

I really wish nerds would just throw their hands up and stop spending $20+ on mass market stuff like Star Wars and Marvel Legends. Really tell these companies "this poo poo is $10-13 quality"

But nerds are the biggest case of "bark is worse than their bite" ever

Unlike the Black Series, I still dig Marvel Legends. I think they are a bit higher quality than Black, even if the MSRP is too high. The general format and style seems better suited for comic characters anyways.

Anyways, Age of Ultron was the worst kind of "competent and good enough" film of this generation of superhero films. It has poor pacing and a lot of bad bloat that doesn't go anywhere. That said, I felt way more satisfied from the presentation of its story than the Star Wars prequels, where I felt ripped off and that I had been denied seeing some of those stories competently presented.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

MooselanderII posted:

The new Figuarts Obi-Wan has a pretty good face sculpt.

God drat, another "Obi-wan" that's not Alec Guinness. gently caress off, Ewan, you're already shelfwarming in every store like crazy.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Marvel Legends are (usually) light years beyond these fuckin' Black Series things. Sure every now and then you get that Wasp they just put out but on the other extreme is Pizza Spidey which has alternate heads, like three sets of alternate hands, great articulation and mine at least has flawless paint apps on the webbing pattern which has to be the hardest thing about a Spider-Man figure. I don't feel cheated at all paying $20 for that. It's basically Figuarts/Figma quality. Sure most of their releases aren't that impressive but they're still overall really well made.

The stuff that's awful, though, I just don't buy it. I'm not such an enthusiast that I try to build the BAFs or collect them all or anything.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gammatron 64 posted:

It's almost like I'm making an exaggeration and don't literally want some guys on the Internet to be executed in real life and a non-physical Internet forum burned down which isn't even possible.

I know but...eh. It's kinda silly to say though when you think about it.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Age of Ultron was fine, maybe even mediocre. AoTC and to a lesser degree TPM are in the conversation for top 10 or 20 worst movies ever.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Nut Bunnies posted:

Age of Ultron was fine, maybe even mediocre. AoTC and to a lesser degree TPM are in the conversation for top 10 or 20 worst movies ever.

In a world where Rollergator exists Star Wars movies are no where even close to the top 10 or 20 worst movies ever.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yeah, the Star Wars prequels have a lot of really, really huge flaws, but in the grand scheme of cinema, they aren't even in the running for the top 100 worst movies ever.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

The Star Wars prequels aren't bad because they're awful. They're bad because they're soooooo loving mediocre at best. They're dull and lacking any foresight or entertainment.

Age of Ultron is mediocre but is still entertaining. You can see the cracks but there's also fun to be had in it.

Episode 1 - 3 are a lot of walking and talking then stopping and talking when they run out of green screen set followed by either all parties leaving in separate directions or side wipe to the next seen. Sometimes both. Once you see that, all three movies are ruined.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Take it to CineD.

Here's a cool little article on some of the most lovely Star Wars toys.

http://io9.com/the-16-most-useless-star-wars-figures-in-the-galaxy-1467580491

Altho I have a soft spot for ice cream man - the rest are truly garbage poo poo. loving "figure of creature that bought Lukes speeder". :lol:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I saw an article a year or so ago showing how loving rare and pricey those ice cream makers have gotten because of Cosplayers and their need to be screen accurate.

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony
Meanwhile here in Singapore no retailer other then Toys r Us has gotten anything at all related to TFA. No one seems to know why, whispers of conspiracy are in the air, the vatican bank, secret handshakes in Zurich, and so on....

Aside from that, anyone around here collecting the current Batman animated series line? If so has the QC improved? I want to go all in on this line now that Creeper is out, and what with Etrigan and Ra's coming next year among others. Problem is I got Batman last year and most of his joints were frozen and even with a hairdryer still felt too hairy to move without cracking. Then all the other stories about catwoman breaking spooked me from the line. I remember DC promising the problems would be fixed, so are the newer figures ok?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Vintersorg posted:

Take it to CineD.

Altho I have a soft spot for ice cream man - the rest are truly garbage poo poo. loving "figure of creature that bought Lukes speeder". :lol:

Aww, Skippy/R5.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

Take it to CineD.

The article is funny, but I disagree with their whole premise that kids hate figures of random background characters. I loved those guys when I was a kid, because I could make up any story for them that I wanted. I always needed a bunch of random creeps to hang out in Jabba's palace or get killed by the heroes. Plus, anybody that looks cool gets a pass. It is only now, as a grown-rear end man, that I have lost interest in collecting background guy.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Sooper Gila posted:

Meanwhile here in Singapore no retailer other then Toys r Us has gotten anything at all related to TFA. No one seems to know why, whispers of conspiracy are in the air, the vatican bank, secret handshakes in Zurich, and so on....

Aside from that, anyone around here collecting the current Batman animated series line? If so has the QC improved? I want to go all in on this line now that Creeper is out, and what with Etrigan and Ra's coming next year among others. Problem is I got Batman last year and most of his joints were frozen and even with a hairdryer still felt too hairy to move without cracking. Then all the other stories about catwoman breaking spooked me from the line. I remember DC promising the problems would be fixed, so are the newer figures ok?

From the 2nd wave onward the QC issues have been dealt with, and Catwoman and TNBA Batman are supposedly getting reissued probably next year sometime. I have Robin and The Joker from the second wave and theyre both excellent.

I have a Catwoman from the first wave and she's pretty stiff but has not broken.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Personally, I let Red Letter Media make all my opinions for me. Thankfully, they took 12 hours to review 7.5 hours worth of movies!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I like Red Letter Media and no, they don't make all my opinions and I don't always agree with them and God I am so incredibly sick of hearing people say that, even when it's not directed at me.

Also, if we're going to talk about bad Star Wars toys, someone has to bring up this thing:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
The mid-to-late 90s relaunch of Star Wars figures was all really high quality after the initial steroid wave, but when Phantom Menace hit, everything took a nosedive. The figures just looked and felt so cheap.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Endless Mike posted:

Personally, I let Red Letter Media make all my opinions for me. Thankfully, they took 12 hours to review 7.5 hours worth of movies!

The prequels were so well received before those slanderous Plinkett reviews came out.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Yeah. Everybody loved the prequels until that fat gently caress Mike Stoklasa made some jokes about an old serial killer who rapes his cats.

If you don't like the prequels, you're just sheeple who don't have any original thoughts in your brain. Working class proles who can't recognize art when they see it. George Lucas is a master auteur, obviously. :rolleyes:

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

The prequels also weren't as poorly received as people who have had a decade to work on topping how much they can dislike the movies tend to believe.

It went from a slightly unspectacular movie to "the top ten worst movies ever" somehow.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
They're mediocre films, no more, no less but the incessant whining about just how bad they are, greenscreen and CGI, and this revisionist bullshit of trying to make out they're 'not canon' since the buyout or that George Lucas hasn't got a single talented bone in his body by worthless schlubs who have never achieved a goddamn thing in their pathetic lives is really tiresome and overdone and I wish they'd just piss off and get over it instead of having the same dumb arguments time and time again.

poo poo's not important, yo.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Would I get probation for posting an image macro of Jeff Goldblum as Ian Malcolm with the text

NOW EVENTUALLY YOU DO PLAN TO TALK ABOUT TOYS ON YOUR...

YOUR TOY FORUM, RIGHT? HELLO?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

So, in interest in changing topics back to what this subforum is for, your avatar always reminds me, what do you think about the prototype for the updated Diaclone stuff coming out?

For the rest of you guys who don't know what I'm on about :

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

So, in interest in changing topics back to what this subforum is for, your avatar always reminds me, what do you think about the prototype for the updated Diaclone stuff coming out?

For the rest of you guys who don't know what I'm on about :

I think it's pretty rad. Is it official or 3rd party? It might be a little rich for my blood but it's cool that it's a thing that exists.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Red posted:

Would I get probation for posting an image macro

Yes.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Can anyone recommend a good SilverStreak/BlueStreak toy that won't break the bank? I mainly want to get one or two for the novelty (I owned a 280ZX for a long time, and I like that it's his car form), so the $60 Masterpiece version is a little more than I want to go in for. I had the Commemorative Series SilverStreak once upon a time, but I must have lost it in a move. Looking around online, it seems like the Masterpiece one might be the easiest and cheapest available, which is a little bit of a bummer.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
You could just get a knock off version, Agrias, they've generally tended to be quite decent quality from what I've heard with the only drawbacks being the occasional loose limb or the car manufacturer markings/badges being renamed to Nissun or thereabouts.

Is it Sirtoys that sell a ludicrous range of knockoff (MPs or otherwise), not sure..?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Agrias120 posted:

Can anyone recommend a good SilverStreak/BlueStreak toy that won't break the bank? I mainly want to get one or two for the novelty (I owned a 280ZX for a long time, and I like that it's his car form), so the $60 Masterpiece version is a little more than I want to go in for. I had the Commemorative Series SilverStreak once upon a time, but I must have lost it in a move. Looking around online, it seems like the Masterpiece one might be the easiest and cheapest available, which is a little bit of a bummer.

Come to the Transformers thread! Also, look for the KO Masterpieces on eBay. They're easy to spot because they're all in China and run about $35 with free shipping.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Agrias120 posted:

Here's the KO that I bought. I've bought 9 or 10 KOs from this seller in the last year. I know there are lower priced ones but they may not be safe to buy from.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Transformers-Masterpiece-MP-18S-Silver-Streak-Fairlady-Z-Tokyo-/191464537108?hash=item2c942cfc14

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Sentinel Red posted:

You could just get a knock off version, Agrias, they've generally tended to be quite decent quality from what I've heard with the only drawbacks being the occasional loose limb or the car manufacturer markings/badges being renamed to Nissun or thereabouts.

Is it Sirtoys that sell a ludicrous range of knockoff (MPs or otherwise), not sure..?

The_Doctor posted:

Come to the Transformers thread! Also, look for the KO Masterpieces on eBay. They're easy to spot because they're all in China and run about $35 with free shipping.

Rhyno posted:

Here's the KO that I bought. I've bought 9 or 10 KOs from this seller in the last year. I know there are lower priced ones but they may not be safe to buy from.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Transformers-Masterpiece-MP-18S-Silver-Streak-Fairlady-Z-Tokyo-/191464537108?hash=item2c942cfc14

Thanks, all! I'll go the KO route, I didn't even think about that as an option. I didn't even know there was a Transformers thread (but I should have assumed there was)!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Agrias120 posted:

Thanks, all! I'll go the KO route, I didn't even think about that as an option. I didn't even know there was a Transformers thread (but I should have assumed there was)!

More than meets the eye!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3DoNzZIKbk