Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shy
Mar 20, 2010

So the new content was intended to be blocked behind PvP and it's somehow bad that they changed their minds? I probably don't understand something, is the game so PvP-centric that it sounded like an ok idea in the first place? Fwiw I don't play it but was planning to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Shy posted:

So the new content was intended to be blocked behind PvP and it's somehow bad that they changed their minds? I probably don't understand something about the game, is it so PvP-centric that it sounded like an ok idea in the first place? Fwiw I don't play it but was planning to.

Given that this was the first PvP-focused update and expansion pack since launch, yeah it's kind of a bad thing. Mainly because it basically made the PvP aspect of the update (actually fighting to get access to the city, thus making it the focus of PvP) completely irrelevant. And it's more noticeable since they scaled down a ton of PvP exclusive gear (Ravager's, Cyrodiil's Light, Morag Tong) in favor of pushing the new content gear, as well as completely nerfing Emperor (Emperor PvP bonuses only apply while in Cyrodiil now, Former Emperor passives are gone completely; this was a good thing tbh, it completely killed the emp circlejerk that was running rampant lately).

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Scyantific posted:

Imperial City was originally slated to launch with restricted access. Access to the city could only be gained if you met certain conditions in Cyrodiil (control of keeps, emperorship for your alliance, etc.). Basically meant as a reward for people who dominated Cyro, while also providing the other alliances a chance to retake Cyrodiil itself while your faction was in the city, thus locking you out.

BUT

The PvE crowd cried foul because that essentially meant (to them) that they would be "forced" into PvP just to access new PvE content (and by extension, the new materials and gear in the update). This of course implied that they would be nothing but cannon fodder for the seasoned PvP crowd to take their stones and run off (because of the "loss of stones on player death" rule in IC). Also, they cried because they want instant gratification for DLC (as in "I paid for it so I want it NOW" kinda thing).

So ZOS gave in and right before the launch of IC last week, announced that for a time period after launch, Imperial City would be accessible by all factions in all PvP instances without any special requirements, basically a win for the PvE whiners. This pissed off some of the PvP crowd because now the IC was just another standard piece of PvE content with elements of PvP thrown in, and predicted correctly that after launch, Cyrodiil itself would be empty because everyone would be in the city itself. Some lauded it because with the rule of "kill a player and get their Tel Var stones" it basically meant they were going to be farming unsuspecting PvE players in IC for their mass stones.

Ironically enough, with the additional changes in the base game's patch, PvE groups are basically superior because 2.1 made PvP more of a numbers game over a game of skill. Zergs run rampant in IC and good PvP battles are nowhere to be found. Not to mention that you can instantly respawn in the same district you were killed in meant that dying in IC meant basically nothing as you could immediately go after the guy who killed you and either bug him until you killed him or he managed to get away.

In the spirit of Bethesda, ZOS also scrapped a whole slew of interesting mechanics for Imperial City (district control, IC-exclusive siege engines) because :effort:.

See, you complain about the "whiny PvE players", yet you whine ten times worse than any PvE player I've ever seen. "Buh buh buh dey nerfed this and they nerfed that and fuk dees peoples who don't think im 1337 gammor bcuz im not v14"

Seriously, bro, take a loving chill pill, it's just a game. I for one agree with the people who'd rather not be locked out of 99% of the content because they can't beat some jobless neckbeard who plays PvP all day. ESO's PvP can be fun, but it's pretty bland overall. Not getting all the features they considered doesn't change that, nor would having got them.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Shy posted:

So the new content was intended to be blocked behind PvP and it's somehow bad that they changed their minds? I probably don't understand something, is the game so PvP-centric that it sounded like an ok idea in the first place? Fwiw I don't play it but was planning to.

Nah, the focus seems balanced between PvE and PvP, but PvP feels like an afterthought, or more like they didn't have time to think of a cool PvP mode, so they just copied a lot of Camelot. PvP is fun, but the meat and potatoes of the gamebis PvE.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

A bit of good news: Today's ESOLive broadcast confirmed that there will be no level cap raise in the Orsinium DLC pack.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

When are they getting rid of vet ranks, anyway?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Scyantific posted:

A bit of good news: Today's ESOLive broadcast confirmed that there will be no level cap raise in the Orsinium DLC pack.
They also said that VR ranks will be getting removed, so....

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

eSporks posted:

They also said that VR ranks will be getting removed, so....

Yeah I'm taking that news with a massive grain of salt. I wouldn't be surprised if they found some other way to screw over the gear grind.

Anyway come join us Sporks, I got a templar to v1 and got him to v2 in like 8 hours spread over 2 days just by doing questing.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

I'm all for getting rid of vet levels because they were stupid as poo poo, but they need to put in a better way to get skill points post level 50. Short of going and collecting skyshards, there's next to nothing happening in the vet levels.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Scyantific posted:

v1 to v2 in like 8 hours
Ahaha, no.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
the PvE whiners on the forum are a bunch of saddos. there was a thread on there a while ago calling for them to remove the achievement for becoming emperor because they wanted to collected all the achievements but PvP was the bogey man or something and ugh that new lead developer reads and posts on the forum way too much, it cannot end well

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JackBadass posted:

See, you complain about the "whiny PvE players", yet you whine ten times worse than any PvE player I've ever seen. "Buh buh buh dey nerfed this and they nerfed that and fuk dees peoples who don't think im 1337 gammor bcuz im not v14"

Seriously, bro, take a loving chill pill, it's just a game. I for one agree with the people who'd rather not be locked out of 99% of the content because they can't beat some jobless neckbeard who plays PvP all day. ESO's PvP can be fun, but it's pretty bland overall. Not getting all the features they considered doesn't change that, nor would having got them.

gently caress PVEers with all the sharp objects in the Universe. While verbose, his point stiil stands.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!
I have a hard time taking PvP seriously because it's gated behind 100 hours of unrelated PvE grinding. Something genuinely competitive would put everyone on the same footing right from the start and let skill win out.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

tgidieday posted:

I have a hard time taking PvP seriously because it's gated behind 100 hours of unrelated PvE grinding. Something genuinely competitive would put everyone on the same footing right from the start and let skill win out.
Same. The 1-50 pvp is fun though, but VR pvp made me quit the game.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Stanley Pain posted:

gently caress PVEers with all the sharp objects in the Universe. While verbose, his point stiil stands.

Not really.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

eSporks posted:

Same. The 1-50 pvp is fun though, but VR pvp made me quit the game.

It's even more fun when you're stacked with 300+ CP and blue/purple gear and wrecking everyone.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

They should just disable Champion Points in Cyrodiil and battle boost everyone to VR16, the only big defining advantage should be SP and only really then to give people more options for multiple builds.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Berke Negri posted:

They should just disable Champion Points in Cyrodiil and battle boost everyone to VR16, the only big defining advantage should be SP and only really then to give people more options for multiple builds.

This would completely kill the need for CP though.

In other news, I am an idiot who clicked Verify Cache on the Steam version of the game, and am now re-downloading the entire game for the rest of the night.

Come back to us Berke, we need more V16 goons :(

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Scyantific posted:

This would completely kill the need for CP though.

In other news, I am an idiot who clicked Verify Cache on the Steam version of the game, and am now re-downloading the entire game for the rest of the night.

Come back to us Berke, we need more V16 goons :(

I'm planning on getting back into it, I've just been catching up on other video games I didn't get around to while I played ESO for like six months straight (usually my attention span is about two or three weeks at most)

as for eliminating the need for CP I mean you still have PvE endgame stuff. In my head CP really shouldn't be something to actively pursue but just nice horizontal progression once you hit the level cap. From the sounds of it ZOS should probably really adjust the diminishing rewards to occur sooner.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 13, 2015

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I don't think you or Zoss know what horizontal progression means.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Those of you in the PS4 DC guild, I'm starting the lotto up again. I'll be putting up prizes or cash as I have them, this week's prize being a Dwemer boot motif. Entry is 500 gold a piece and you can enter as many times as you want, but if there's not at least 5 different entrants, I'll cancel that week's lotto and refund the entry fees.

If you want in and aren't in the guild, let me know here or shoot me a message on the PSN and I'll send you an invite. If you don't want to be in the guild or can't join for some reason but still want in, you can mail me the 500 gold and I'll enter you in.

My PSN is JackBadass

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

eSporks posted:

I don't think you or Zoss know what horizontal progression means.

That's rude, esporks.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Berke Negri posted:

That's rude, esporks.
Don't feel bad. You just fell victim to their tricks of thinking that an alternate vertical grind is a horizontal one and good for the player.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Not all grinding is bad. Champion points are handled well in that they come pretty rapidly. Vet ranks suck since it takes so long to make any progress.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

JackBadass posted:

Not all grinding is bad. Champion points are handled well in that they come pretty rapidly. Vet ranks suck since it takes so long to make any progress.
By that logic lets add 100 more vet ranks, but make the time it currently takes to go from 1-16 the same time it will take to go from 1-50. Now you are thinking like ZoS.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

eSporks posted:

By that logic lets add 100 more vet ranks, but make the time it currently takes to go from 1-16 the same time it will take to go from 1-50. Now you are thinking like ZoS.

Sorry, but I like having something to work towards. I'm not like these people who get pissed when they're not the top of the heap anymore.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

eSporks posted:

Don't feel bad. You just fell victim to their tricks of thinking that an alternate vertical grind is a horizontal one and good for the player.

I think I should have been clearer in that I meant I think champion points should be a horizontal progression, but I don't think they are now. That the diminishing returns isn't very well done shows that. The pace of getting new champion points feels about right, but "takes a lot of time" is always a poor gating mechanic because in mmos there's always someone mentally ill enough to just grind for twenty four hours a day.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Yep, thats pretty much my feelings on the game. I play primarily for PVP, and I have never liked chasing progressing as anything other than a means to an end. In this game, the "end" is so unobtainable for me.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Being two-shot by some sorcerer killed most of my VR Cyrodiil interest, and I bet that sorcerer was also V12 with min-maxed stats. Pessimist in me says that it wouldn't have really been that different if Imperial City remained behind PvP gate, just aforementioned gankings and I have no idea what getting those stones means.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All the reviews of this game are positive, and I'm kind of hesitant why, since each says "Well it's not TES, it's a TES flavored MMO." Like I'm supposed to know what that means. What would be a good credible article that lists out the pros and cons of this game? I'll be buying this for 2 people, so... Yeah, I'd like to know whether or not it'll scratch that "Skyrim with Friends" itch.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Turtlicious posted:

All the reviews of this game are positive, and I'm kind of hesitant why, since each says "Well it's not TES, it's a TES flavored MMO." Like I'm supposed to know what that means. What would be a good credible article that lists out the pros and cons of this game? I'll be buying this for 2 people, so... Yeah, I'd like to know whether or not it'll scratch that "Skyrim with Friends" itch.

It will. My introduction to the series was Skyrim. If anything, I'd say they have that backwards. It's not a TES flavored MMO, it's an MMO flavored TES.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
The questing part is exactly the Skyrim with Friends you're looking for. It's fun, lasts about 100-150 hours, and you can play it however you want and be successful.

After that, you have endgame, which is decidedly MMO-y. You need a good build, and the good gear is a rare random drop gated behind something difficult that you wind up grinding over and over again. I find that part fun as well, but if you don't, just quit when you get bored and (optionally) complain that all your PvP losses are the result of poopsockers. 100 hours is still good value for money.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I haven't been playing a lot lately, but I enjoy ESO, and I'm someone who has played all of the Elder Scrolls games since Daggerfall (though not Redguard, but who cares about Redguard?), though I've never played a (real, legit) MMO before.

I really appreciate the fact that any quest I'm doing doesn't get in the way of other people doing the same quest, and vice-versa. I like that there are things at times that only I see and can interact with.

I remember playing this old, top-down MMO-ish game, I think it was called Nexus... it was cartoony and Asian-themed, and this was probably about 1998 or so. Anyway, there was one quest where you all had to get ginseng root from this specific place, and there was a HUGE lineup of people trying to get it, because there was only one instance of it on the server. I don't know if this is a common thing amongst MMOs nowadays, but I'm glad that if I have to 'kill X character hanging out near Ash Mountain', I'm guaranteed to see them there, and be able to have a fight with them, no waiting for anyone else to clear out.

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I haven't been playing a lot lately, but I enjoy ESO, and I'm someone who has played all of the Elder Scrolls games since Daggerfall (though not Redguard, but who cares about Redguard?), though I've never played a (real, legit) MMO before.

I really appreciate the fact that any quest I'm doing doesn't get in the way of other people doing the same quest, and vice-versa. I like that there are things at times that only I see and can interact with.

I remember playing this old, top-down MMO-ish game, I think it was called Nexus... it was cartoony and Asian-themed, and this was probably about 1998 or so. Anyway, there was one quest where you all had to get ginseng root from this specific place, and there was a HUGE lineup of people trying to get it, because there was only one instance of it on the server. I don't know if this is a common thing amongst MMOs nowadays, but I'm glad that if I have to 'kill X character hanging out near Ash Mountain', I'm guaranteed to see them there, and be able to have a fight with them, no waiting for anyone else to clear out.

Yeah I agree. I used to play World of Warcraft and people stealing your loot used to piss me off. I'm glad that doesn't happen in this game.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I'd go so far as to say that if you play ESO wanting it to be, straight up, The Elder Scrolls 6, you will be disappointed. Stealth doesn't (yet) work like mainline TES, it doesn't have the 'go anywhere and do anything' mentality that TES is famous for as the game is pretty linear.

It is, however, worthy of being called The Elder Scrolls Online. No number, not part of the main series, but a perfectly servicable and enjoyable spin off.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

It's nearly unplayable without mods so it is worthy to bear The Elder Scrolls name.

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 14, 2015

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
^ Want to empty-quote this so hard.

Patch notes are up: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/216334/pc-mac-live-patch-notes-v2-1-6

Stamina is getting 6% more dps, it'll be even easier to pull nightblades out of stealth, and all those trophy items are now worth double.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Hey, dude, post Pluto's magika NB healer build, I'm super curious because it is shield/destro I think he said.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

tgidieday posted:

^ Want to empty-quote this so hard.

Patch notes are up: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/216334/pc-mac-live-patch-notes-v2-1-6

Stamina is getting 6% more dps, it'll be even easier to pull nightblades out of stealth, and all those trophy items are now worth double.

Oh NOW they fix that loving stupid Stibbons escort quest. He kept getting stuck and loitering around until that area's designated enemies respawned and started to kick his rear end after I walked ahead. I got Vanilla WoW flashbacks from that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
So is there a way to queue up for group instances? I'm still pretty new to the game and finally about the level I want to be for the first group instance that I have a quest for. But without having friends that play, it's been a bit tough to get into it.

• Locked thread