Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

D_I posted:

Fair enough, but was your point that republicans would be more likely to work with Hillary than Bernie? Because that seems tone deaf.

JT Jag posted:

They won't work with anyone, didn't you read my post?

I think generally she's more likely to have some small legislative victories a la a Obama, with the added caveat that I think she's more likely to win the General to begin with, and that's frankly the biggest issue for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_I
Aug 31, 2004

this_is_hard posted:

Right, as opposed to noted friend-of-the-right, Hillary Clinton?

Which Democratic nominee would they work with?
2002 Donald Trump

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Joementum posted:

Oh no, Bernie is going to put an end to viable leftist third parties! :ohdear:

Sucking the organizational and ideological base of third parties, or potential third parties, into the Democratic party is a well-observed phenomenon though. The Rainbow Coalition for example sucked up a number of black maoist organizations into the Party. You can look at exactly the same thing happening right now in the UKPOL thread as droves of greens and reds rejoin Labour.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JT Jag posted:

That's the core of the issue though. In 2008 progressives rallied around Obama's message of hope, change and progress. He made a lot of campaign promises that were aimed at the left Democratic bloc. And after becoming President, he governed as a centrist, and famously left his most fervent supporters in the cold, especially during the various budget negotiations when he put major welfare cuts on the table.

Some of the people oppose Hillary now are the same people who supported Obama eight years ago but were disappointed by how he actually governed, and don't trust her to follow through on her new leftish promises. Obama didn't, after all, and why would she be any different?

Obama didn't even have the legacy of triangulation and being a posterchild for the Democratic Leadership Conference in the 90s. The Clintons have been in bed with the Third Way Dems who threw the working class base of the party to the wolves and allied themselves with Wall Street and the interests of rich urban liberals. People like myself may have been fooled by Obama in 2008, but with Clinton she's ideologically toxic off the bat if you disapprove of the direction the Democratic party has taken since the 80s.

D_I
Aug 31, 2004

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I think generally she's more likely to have some small legislative victories a la a Obama, with the added caveat that I think she's more likely to win the General to begin with, and that's frankly the biggest issue for me.
So the real issue is electability? Why bog down the argument then?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Though that does give me a point to circle back to -- if you don't think they'll work with her, why then are you worried about her suddenly shifting back to the Right. There's no political incentive.

D_I posted:

So the real issue is electability? Why bog down the argument then?

I am not Anti-Sanders. I am trying to point out that a lot of the "anti-Hillary" rhetoric is, to a point, unfounded.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I think this is the most honest and apt description of this race I've ever seen. Don't Rock The Boat 2016.

D_I
Aug 31, 2004

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Though that does give me a point to circle back to -- if you don't think they'll work with her, why then are you worried about her suddenly shifting back to the Right. There's no political incentive.
It's the things they might work with her on that bother me. The republicans worked with Bill Clinton...to end welfare and get rid of glass-steagall.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Sucking the organizational and ideological base of third parties, or potential third parties, into the Democratic party is a well-observed phenomenon though. The Rainbow Coalition for example sucked up a number of black maoist organizations into the Party. You can look at exactly the same thing happening right now in the UKPOL thread as droves of greens and reds rejoin Labour.

well hopefully Bernie drops out soon so the current black maoist organizations have a chance to become viable

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Maarek posted:

I think this is the most honest and apt description of this race I've ever seen. Don't Rock The Boat 2016.

I am not willing to risk losing the general and ushering in an era of unrestricted Republican governance for a slightly more left candidate.

D_I posted:

It's the things they might work with her on that bother me. The republicans worked with Bill Clinton...to end welfare and get rid of glass-steagall.

Things she doesn't have the space to do in 2016 because the make up of the Democrat party has shifted. Like to do so would make her unelectable.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Bernie Sanders must be bad at everything

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

this_is_hard posted:

well hopefully Bernie drops out soon so the current black maoist organizations have a chance to become viable

Agreed, friend.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Another thing that could be a big deal: Bernie Sanders in charge of the DOJ instead of someone who has cement mixers full of hundreds being poured into their campaign from wall street. That could be cool, I guess.

D_I
Aug 31, 2004

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I am not willing to risk losing the general and ushering in an era of unrestricted Republican governance for a slightly more left candidate.
Check the demographics and electoral college, I don't believe any republican has an actual chance.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Maarek posted:

Sometimes if you rock the boat you fall out and drown.

I don't like boats, is what I'm saying here.

e:

D_I posted:

Check the demographics and electoral college, I don't believe any republican has an actual chance.

I don't think this is actually well-founded. There's a slight Democratic advantage in that a close race would probably go to the Democratic candidate. But if the Republicans win the popular vote by any significant margin, they'll probably win the election. And I don't think we've reached the point where demographics make that impossible.

I'm also not sure that we can count on the Republicans nominating Walker or Bush or Trump to bail us out. At the very least it's probably not best to rely on it.

Bob Ojeda fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 14, 2015

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Bob Ojeda posted:

Sometimes if you rock the boat you fall out and drown.

I don't like boats, is what I'm saying here.

This is what I mean about the blocs within the party. There are people who think things are pretty much ok but need some tweaking and they are never going to get behind Sanders and I don't begrudge them for it.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Agreed, friend.

me too, unironically.

in other news the international labor union i work for has finished tallying up our internal poll amongst our membership for the 2016 presidential race. hillary easily is #1

#2? Donald Trump :getin:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

This presupposes that Hillary is more electable. I'd agree that she was, if:

A. She wasn't bogged down in scandals that are killing her national favorability, and:
B. Apparently terrible at campaigning, to the point that she is unable to divert the discussion away from the scandals.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

D_I posted:

"Republicans won't take back the house for decades" ~ Democrats 2006

Maarek posted:

Another thing that could be a big deal: Bernie Sanders in charge of the DOJ instead of someone who has cement mixers full of hundreds being poured into their campaign from wall street. That could be cool, I guess.

Well, given that she's proposed being far tougher on WS than Obama, one has to generally think she will.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 14, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Maarek posted:

Do you really think Eric Holder was bought off by Wall Street?

Or could it instead be that the case budget of the DOJ is tiny compared to the legal budget for a big Wall Street firm and companies built by smart criminals often have record-keeping "issues"?

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

So is the House going to pass a spending bill or does the government shut down again?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Well, given that she's proposed being far tougher on WS than Obama, one has to generally think she will.
Obama proposed a lot of things during his campaign that he didn't follow through on too.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

And literally no one cares.

D_I
Aug 31, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Or could it instead be that the case budget of the DOJ is tiny compared to the legal budget for a big Wall Street firm and companies built by smart criminals often have record-keeping "issues"?
Bought off is a strong word, he's just one of the gang.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Someone should inform JP Morgan, Goldman, and Citigroup of this immediately before they accidentally give her all their money. What an oversight!

Trabisnikof posted:

I don't care why the DOJ had no interest in going after the people who hosed up the global economy and made tons of money doing it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

The DOJ handles a lot of things. Prosecution of Wall Street was given a low priority.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Who cares WHY Eric Holder didn't do his job. We can't really prove whats deep within his heart without magical powers. What matters is that he didn't and more importantly he didn't even TRY. I think you're incredibly gullible if you think that these guys all escaped prosecution and coincidentally they gave tons of money to the people who run this country, but in the end it doesn't really make a difference.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I just have this gut feeling that one party will pull at 1972 this cycle, but I'm very unclear which party will do it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

The idea that it's Jesse Jackson's fault there are no viable black maoist parties in the US is... far-fetched.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Maarek posted:

This is what I mean about the blocs within the party. There are people who think things are pretty much ok but need some tweaking and they are never going to get behind Sanders and I don't begrudge them for it.

Well, to make an actual answer, I'd like to see some more change in the party. But I also view the stakes as really, really high. I mean, Scott Walker just announced his plan to eviscerate the unions. While I don't think he'll be the nominee, that's the kind of thing a Republican President would want to do. Or start another war in the Middle East, or appoint a SC Justice who would roll back Roe and entrench Citizens United. So I'd very much like to avoid those things, even if it means electing a president that I think is deeply imperfect.

And I also think there are ways to move the party to the left outside of the presidential primary. So supporting Bernie feels like a much less apocalyptic concern to me.

Of course there's still a good chance I'll vote for him in the primary. But his electability is an issue.

JT Jag posted:

A. She wasn't bogged down in scandals that are killing her national favorability, and:
B. Apparently terrible at campaigning, to the point that she is unable to divert the discussion away from the scandals.

I agree that this is a concern but I'm going to give it a couple more months before I start freaking out about it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Guys give Hillary some credit. She didn't believe the Iraq war was right she only voted for it knowing it would be an issue in 2008 and and she miscalculated.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

JT Jag posted:

Obama proposed a lot of things during his campaign that he didn't follow through on too.

He didn't and hasn't gone as far as she has in terms of going after the actual people involved.

JT Jag posted:

A is pretty questionable at best. In fact, we have a whole trove of data to support it. She's much more popular (and favorable) when she's not running for office than when she isn't. In fact, her favorability ratings this time in 2008 were the same as they are now. That generally suggests the email thing isn't really pushing this. Also, there's pretty good evidence to indicate favorability doesn't matter.

Add to that the polls showing her support "tanking" also include Joe Biden, who isn't currently running (which means he's a more attractive choice -- again data supports that.) and most of his support is peeled off from Hillary supporters who are clearly willing to vote for her.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

So are these guys just idiots who give this person who is going to put them in jail lots and lots of money? Whats up with that?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Maarek posted:

Someone should inform JP Morgan, Goldman, and Citigroup of this immediately before they accidentally give her all their money. What an oversight!

I don't care why the DOJ had no interest in going after the people who hosed up the global economy and made tons of money doing it.

Then you're not going to be a very effective advocate for change. If you want to fix a problem, you have to understand why it is broken.

JT Jag posted:

The DOJ handles a lot of things. Prosecution of Wall Street was given a low priority.

Would you rather the DOJ have dropped a few civil rights cases instead? Maybe not investigated the Ferguson PD?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Maarek posted:

So are these guys just idiots who give this person who is going to put them in jail lots and lots of money? Whats up with that?

They'd rather Hillary win than a Republican.

Like again, if she says "we're going to be tougher on Wall Street" and then, doesn't, she's going to run the risk of getting lit up by Liz Warren and face a possible primary challenge when she runs for re-election.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Trabisnikof posted:

Would you rather the DOJ have dropped a few civil rights cases instead? Maybe not investigated the Ferguson PD?

Lmao

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

Yes, this is the excuse the Obama administration would use.

D_I
Aug 31, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Then you're not going to be a very effective advocate for change. If you want to fix a problem, you have to understand why it is broken.

Yeah they didn't go after Wall Street because in 6 years they would have to investigate Ferguson...

D_I
Aug 31, 2004

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

They'd rather Hillary win than a Republican.
Yes those principled corporations, never expecting any return on investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

or maybe they could have actually prosecuted some of the corporations and people directly responsible for the largest financial catastrophe in a generation? :whatup:

• Locked thread