Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Not trolling you gun guys but why do gun photos always have a pen or spoon or something through the trigger? Guessing it's to either keep the gun from scratching the table or for some safety reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Pron on VHS posted:

Not trolling you gun guys but why do gun photos always have a pen or spoon or something through the trigger? Guessing it's to either keep the gun from scratching the table or for some safety reason?

its to prop it up for the picture

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i bought a metal gear solid v code off a buddy. it's to break in my new gpu.

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!

Reverse Centaur posted:

They haven't been worth $255 in a long time.

Well true, though this is in $NZD. Arcania was down in our system as $99 so even if they're not really worth anything near that much at least it's an impressive seeming saving :shobon:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I bought that stuff that lets you peel off your foot skin and a tin of herbal smoking blend from Rose Mountain Herbs, because we're all going to die some day, so gently caress it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Coffee And Pie posted:

I bought that stuff that lets you peel off your foot skin and a tin of herbal smoking blend from Rose Mountain Herbs, because we're all going to die some day, so gently caress it.

I want to believe that you use these two things together somehow.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Coffee And Pie posted:

krokodil?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

It goes by the street name "baby foot"

Mister Kingdom posted:

I want to believe that you use these two things together somehow.

I'm gonna light myself up a fat spleef and just go to town on my heels.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Coffee And Pie posted:

I bought that stuff that lets you peel off your foot skin

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

:stonk:

e: this is horrifying even before the pasta bowl edit

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Yesterday I spent $360 at the vet on this guy

He probably has hyperthyroid or chronic kidney disease. Maybe something more insidious, but we won't have lab results till Monday. I hope it's something manageable. He's 19, but we only got him two years ago, and he's a really good cat. He's weaseled his way pretty deeply into our hearts.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Echeveria posted:

Yesterday I spent $360 at the vet on this guy

He probably has hyperthyroid or chronic kidney disease. Maybe something more insidious, but we won't have lab results till Monday. I hope it's something manageable. He's 19, but we only got him two years ago, and he's a really good cat. He's weaseled his way pretty deeply into our hearts.

Mr Boods' 1000 year old ratbag cat (ok, actually, more like 20) has hyperthyroid issues, and it's been really well managed with a twice-daily pill. Mr Stink-cat has actually plumped back up once we got his dosage sorted, and he loving loves his pillies, because they come wrapped in posh cheddar cheese.

Fingers crossed for you and your lovely kitty.

Zahi
Jun 4, 2009

bent
I got this because I have autism or whatever (no spoon)

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Zahi posted:

I got this because I have autism or whatever (no spoon)

Now you can hunt the only game worth hunting. Or play counter strike irl. Not sure what else you can do with it (I'm assuming it shoots bullets).

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Just...a bunch of stuff since coming back from a 3 week work trip that gave me roughly 4x the pay I normally get.

In 13L size.

With some green polishing compound that was a lot bigger than I expected.

For use with my 6000 grit water stone.

In stainless steel

Building up a good backpacking kit. Since quitting smoking and getting in shape I really want to start going camping and backpacking again. Still need to get my hammock camping set. So a hammock, rainfly, and bug net.

On another note: Holy poo poo does that Lanksy system and water stone make a sharp loving knife. I had always had "okay" pocketknives in Boyscouts or whatever. I had always used just plain "home depot" grade sharpeners to get an edge that would cut stuff. Dear god, after sharpening that Morakniv all the way through from 70 grit to 6000 grit to green polish I can loving shave with it. I've never had a knife that sharp before.

It's a little scary.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Crain posted:

It's a little scary.

Yeah it's a little scary. I mean I love camping and I've never needed super sharp survival knives. What do you use these for?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Yeah it's a little scary. I mean I love camping and I've never needed super sharp survival knives. What do you use these for?

Cutting things? Why on earth would you want a dull knife?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

bunnielab posted:

Cutting things? Why on earth would you want a dull knife?

There's a whole spectrum between dull knife and super sharp survival knife.

When camping the only thing I need to cut is my steak or a string and any knife does the job fine? Having a sharp knife is cool but I personally think knife enthusiasts can sometimes be as ridiculous as audiophiles

e: that Morakniv knife is quite fragile. I broke one last year. Like the blade literally broke in half. Yeah it was sharp when received but a broken blade isn't very useful.

SpaceGoatFarts has a new favorite as of 22:19 on Sep 13, 2015

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've had a Spyderco pocketknife since the mid 1990s that has a partially serrated blade. I've no idea how to sharpen it and am lucky it's held up so well all these years. Clearly I don't need it super sharp but it would be nice to maintain it properly, if I knew how.

EDIT: This is it. I retired the original but replaced it with another Delica.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

I ordered a chinup bar:

Some shaving supplies:

And some bar supplies:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I don't need the camping knives super sharp. I just did my first test run/"figure out what the gently caress I'm doing while watching youtube videos about this thing" because I can beat them to hell and back and not care.

I'm actually going to use the scary sharp sharpening on my kitchen knives. I've always just bought crappy ones and tossed them once they got too dull (never really cooked seriously at all with any regularity due to being: a kid, a teen, in college and eating whatever, etc). Now I'm old enough to really justify keeping good knives though.

Also what bunnielab said.

Dick Trauma posted:

I've had a Spyderco pocketknife since the mid 1990s that has a partially serrated blade. I've no idea how to sharpen it and am lucky it's held up so well all these years. Clearly I don't need it super sharp but it would be nice to maintain it properly, if I knew how.

EDIT: This is it. I retired the original but replaced it with another Delica.

Lansky makes serrated blade sharpeners like the one I got. The stone is triangular so that it fits between the teeth.

This set has one, and you can buy more stones separately: http://www.amazon.com/Lansky-Profes...knife+sharpener

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

BgRdMchne posted:

I ordered a chinup bar:

Some shaving supplies:

And some bar supplies:

Taylor of old bond street is my shiiiiiiit!

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

TraderStav posted:

Taylor of old bond street is my shiiiiiiit!

I've only tried the Shave Shop. I like the lather, but it smells too much like a barber shop. At least the smell was pretty neutral. I tried to grab some cedarwood, but it looks like it's not out anywhere yet except the official store with shipping from the UK.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Avocado Taylor was my favorite until I had kids and became cheap

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

FishBulb posted:

until I had kids and became cheap

The worst fate.

Zahi
Jun 4, 2009

bent

Call of Cholula posted:

Now you can hunt the only game worth hunting. Or play counter strike irl. Not sure what else you can do with it (I'm assuming it shoots bullets).

There isn't a whole heck of a lot you CAN do as a legal responsible gun owner but everyone that shoots it gets a big poo poo-eating grin and wants to mag dump so thats kinda worth the price of admission.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

e: that Morakniv knife is quite fragile. I broke one last year. Like the blade literally broke in half. Yeah it was sharp when received but a broken blade isn't very useful.

What were you doing with it when it broke? Mora knives are renowned for being extremely durable.

Content:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Gilgameshback posted:

What were you doing with it when it broke? Mora knives are renowned for being extremely durable.

Content:

If I had to guess: Batoning wood for a split wood fire: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batoning

That's what I bought it for anyway.

I've already tested it for that. Worked perfectly well. But I'm sure if I did it with any regularity it'd eventually break. But the things are like $15 so it ain't no thang.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Moras are not really suitable for batonning wood, they don't have a full tang and will eventually break.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

bunnielab posted:

Moras are not really suitable for batonning wood, they don't have a full tang and will eventually break.

Yeah I know. But again: $14 and I'm not going to be camping often enough to need huge reliability.

I'm not going full survivalist, just weekend backpacker.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Crain posted:

That's what I bought it for anyway.

Well don't do it because the blade will break next time you try.

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax
Bought my ticket to a Zedd concert coming to Madison at the end of October. Now to try and wrangle more friends to go with me

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Oh my god, it looks like the poor woman's come into contact with a strong base.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Mandolin, because I am terrible at playing instruments tuned in fifths and at reading treble clef. I'm pretty terrible - I'm still trying to hold the thing correctly but it's totally different from what I'm used to for bass and guitar.

Also bought a Kirby because allergens suck and a stupidly expensive vacuum/shampooer is obviously the answer.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

You also appear to have a Bill Fitzmaurice Jack...

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

CaseFace McGee posted:

...Also bought a Kirby because allergens suck and a stupidly expensive vacuum/shampooer is obviously the answer.

Can you return it or are you stuck, because a Kirby is not going to help your allergens.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Sigma X posted:

Can you return it or are you stuck, because a Kirby is not going to help your allergens.

It will if it has a hepa filter.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

CaseFace McGee posted:

Also bought a Kirby because allergens suck and a stupidly expensive vacuum/shampooer is obviously the answer.

Did you buy it used, or from one of their actual door-to-door salesmen?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

88h88 posted:

You also appear to have a Bill Fitzmaurice Jack...

Loaded with an Eminence Kappalite 10 for my upright bass gigs, and just out of shot is an Omni 212 TallBoy with Deltalites for gigs where I want to really rattle the floors. Great cabinets.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Did you buy it used, or from one of their actual door-to-door salesmen?

From a salesman, we were going to get a Dyson but we also wanted a decent shampooer, and once you include those it gets expensive enough to consider a Kirby. We were able to negotiate down a decent amount (still stupidly expensive) and it's really simple to dismantle to remove all the hair that clogged our previous vacuums and shampooer.

Plus, the wife is happy, and our puppy discovered that it's fun to pee on the carpet as we hook up his leash to go outside... it's getting used pretty often. We can return it within a short timeframe, can't remember how long, but it's probably going to stay here.

The Science Goy has a new favorite as of 17:36 on Sep 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

CaseFace McGee posted:

Loaded with an Eminence Kappalite 10 for my upright bass gigs, and just out of shot is an Omni 212 TallBoy with Deltalites for gigs where I want to really rattle the floors. Great cabinets.

From a salesman, we were going to get a Dyson but we also wanted a decent shampooer, and once you include those it gets expensive enough to consider a Kirby. We were able to negotiate down a decent amount (still stupidly expensive) and it's really simple to dismantle to remove all the hair that clogged our previous vacuums and shampooer.

Plus, the wife is happy, and our puppy discovered that it's fun to pee on the carpet as we hook up his leash to go outside... it's getting used pretty often. We can return it within a short timeframe, can't remember how long, but it's probably going to stay here.

You monster you shouldn't return puppies even if they do spring a leak.