Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

LastInLine posted:

Isn't Google blocked in China?

Yep, that's why he needs a VPN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The Nexus 6 is only AU$670 for the 32GB version here. I'm still using a Galaxy Nexus. It currently survives on about 4 hours of battery life. I have checked out the iPhone 6+ and similar phones and am fine with their size. I really need a new phone. I'm not too picky about having the latest and greatest, I just want a phone that will run a few programs (Awful, Redditisfun, MyFitnessPal usually) and browse without massive lag. Pretty much everything else is a bonus. I really don't want to get into a contract so buying a phone outright is my preference. Oh, I also don't want to buy a second hand phone, for reasons.

The only other phone that looks tempting is the new Moto X Style (Pure for US people?) but I'm unsure of what it'll cost when it comes out, and $670 is a mighty nice price. I plan to wait a week or two to see if it comes out at a reasonable cost. Should I just get the Nexus 6 and be happy?

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

syntaxfunction posted:

The only other phone that looks tempting is the new Moto X Style (Pure for US people?) but I'm unsure of what it'll cost when it comes out, and $670 is a mighty nice price. I plan to wait a week or two to see if it comes out at a reasonable cost. Should I just get the Nexus 6 and be happy?

Moto X Style seems to be a very good smartphone, the only drawbacks it has (on paper) would be being too big, lack of a fingerprint sensor (if that's a drawback for you) and not-the-best camera (nothing mediocre, pretty good actually, just not the best out there). So I'd compare prices and if similar, just go for the Style.

Cable fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Sep 14, 2015

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I just got the notification for the new Android Pay on my Nexus 6. That being said, when I try to set it up it's giving me a unable to verify android message. Is anyone else having this issues? According to XDA, there seems to be no rhyme or reason for it failing (no difference if rooted, stock, custom rom, etc.)

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

SB35 posted:

Yep, that's why he needs a VPN.

T-Mobile has something about no roaming charges internationally for their simple choice plan. I might call and chat with a representative when the trip gets closer. Does anyone have any experience with this, particularly in China? I might ask this again in the T-Mobile thread later but while we're on the subject, experience would be great.

Until then, I'll look into VPNs. Thanks for the info.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

JAF07 posted:

This. If your subject moves even a little, the picture is hosed.

this is literally the #1 worst goddamn problem with Moto cameras and they consistently, time and again, miss the point with people's criticisms of their phone. you can't just point-and-shoot anything, the camera is worthless unless you're taking still shots

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

JayKay posted:

I just got the notification for the new Android Pay on my Nexus 6. That being said, when I try to set it up it's giving me a unable to verify android message. Is anyone else having this issues? According to XDA, there seems to be no rhyme or reason for it failing (no difference if rooted, stock, custom rom, etc.)

The reason it's failing is because whatever you have on there doesn't pass a check called SafetyNet. This verifies against a list of known-good OEM firmwares and if yours doesn't match then it won't let you use Android Pay.

I had the same problem since I was running a 5.1 soak test build for my 2014 Moto X. After I manually installed the official 5.1 release it had no problem verifying.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Protocol7 posted:

Ended up getting a Moto X Pure from Best Buy. I like the phone. It's a hugephone, but it's certainly much more comfortable to hold than my iPhone 6 was.

I didn't know they were already in stock at Best Buy. I'll have to check it out.

Also, I still haven't gotten the soak test for the VZW OG X.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Got my Moto G set up on Thursday night and I've been really impressed so far. I've been using an iPhone 5C for a while, but I wanted a new phone and I decided I would rather get a very good Android phone for $220 than a very good iPhone for $650. Performance is excellent; I've only run into problems when trying to run particularly demanding games, which I expected. The display looks great and I doubt I would be able to discern much difference at all between this and a 1440p display or whatever. At its thickest point it's a bit thicker than my old iPhone 5C, but it feels thinner due to the tapered edges. I think I'd still prefer a flat back though since the curve means I can't poke at it while it's laying flat on my desk without it wobbling around. The curved back also makes me not like the Flip Shell as much as I thought I was going to; the cover doesn't lay flat against the back of the phone so holding it with one hand becomes quite a bit more unwieldy. It's a shame as the shell seems very nice in other ways; the soft-touch rubber feels excellent in my hand. Battery life is great; yesterday I used it for like 18 hours and only charged it for a brief 30-minute stretch in my car in the middle of the day. I like iOS quite a bit, but Android has improved enormously since I last used it back in the Gingerbread days, and there are a few spots here and there where I'm really appreciating the added flexibility that Android provides. I also switched from Virgin Mobile to Cricket in order to use an unlocked phone, and holy cow is it ever a step up. LTE performance is significantly better and I can actually get a decent signal in my office.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Just ordered a Moto G as well - decided the Nexus 6 was too big. Is the flip case a different material than the standard back? While the regular plastic back doesn't feel terrible, it isn't the greatest, either, and I prefer a softer material.

Also, how long did it take you to get it? I didn't build one with delayed shipping, so I'm hoping it'll get here soon...

IuniusBrutus fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 14, 2015

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Doctor Butts posted:

I didn't know they were already in stock at Best Buy. I'll have to check it out.

Also, I still haven't gotten the soak test for the VZW OG X.

It was only black 16GB ones, but considering I don't do any gaming and my app usage dives off after Reddit/Awful/Facebook, I don't really mind the short storage. Especially since I can chuck all my music on the SD card.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

IuniusBrutus posted:

Just ordered a Moto G as well - decided the Nexus 6 was too big. Is the flip case a different material than the standard back? While the regular plastic back doesn't feel terrible, it isn't the greatest, either, and I prefer a softer material.

Also, how long did it take you to get it? I didn't build one with delayed shipping, so I'm hoping it'll get here soon...

I ordered it on September 1st, was quoted a September 14th arrival date, got it on the 9th. The flip shell is a different material; soft-touch rubber, like I said, as opposed to the hard plastic back. It does feel really nice but it's just too unwieldy to be used comfortably, at least for me.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I've got a Nexus 4 thats served me well but the lovely camera and weird Lollipop issues have me wanting to move up a bit. I want something a bit bigger but not Nexus 6 big, should I just wait to hear whats going on with the Nexus 5X in a few weeks or does Motorola make something decent? I don't really play games on my phone, just basic apps and mms. Wireless charging is a plus since I already have that weird Nexus 4 orb thingie. Not sure how I feel about curved backs but its not a deal breaker.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Rusty Kettle posted:

T-Mobile has something about no roaming charges internationally for their simple choice plan. I might call and chat with a representative when the trip gets closer. Does anyone have any experience with this, particularly in China? I might ask this again in the T-Mobile thread later but while we're on the subject, experience would be great.

Until then, I'll look into VPNs. Thanks for the info.

1. You'll get the international roaming in China no problem, but it's only edge speeds, which is sufficient enough but not pleasant. But might not be a great signal or any at all if you're way out in the countryside (likely you won't be).

2. You might not need the VPN for this. I think the TMo roaming actually jumps the wall for you, lemme check on that.

3. If you have questions about this come to the tourism & travel China thread.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Gunslinger posted:

I've got a Nexus 4 thats served me well but the lovely camera and weird Lollipop issues have me wanting to move up a bit. I want something a bit bigger but not Nexus 6 big, should I just wait to hear whats going on with the Nexus 5X in a few weeks or does Motorola make something decent? I don't really play games on my phone, just basic apps and mms. Wireless charging is a plus since I already have that weird Nexus 4 orb thingie. Not sure how I feel about curved backs but its not a deal breaker.

Motos don't have Qi charging and the current rumors are the Nexus 5 will be announced by the end of the month (which is early for a Nexus). Probably best to wait for that and see where it takes you.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

At least for now, the Pure doesn't check to see if you are subscribed to Verizon tethering before creating a hotspot.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/09/14/moto-x-pure-edition-tethering/

I'm sure it will probably be patched out eventually.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Am I correct in understanding the Nexus (6 and after I guess) line works on both GSM and CDMA networks without anything special? Is it the only phone that can do this?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I just got the notice for the first software update (soak test preparation for Lollipop) for VZW Moto X 2013.

edit: it is now downloading lollipop.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 14, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mr. Crow posted:

Is it the only phone that can do this?

No, the 2015 Moto X Pure can do this as well.

Technically, pretty much all of Verizon's LTE lineup can do this too, but there may be a few bands missing here and there so that you only get HSPDA+ instead of LTE in areas.

Nexus 6 and Moto X Pure constitute the most complete band coverage out there.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

bull3964 posted:

No, the 2015 Moto X Pure can do this as well.

Technically, pretty much all of Verizon's LTE lineup can do this too, but there may be a few bands missing here and there so that you only get HSPDA+ instead of LTE in areas.

Nexus 6 and Moto X Pure constitute the most complete band coverage out there.

Cool, thanks.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

Motos don't have Qi charging and the current rumors are the Nexus 5 will be announced by the end of the month (which is early for a Nexus). Probably best to wait for that and see where it takes you.

I'd assume announcement this month, Oct/Nov release.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Nexus announcement is supposed to be around the end of this month, September 29th or so.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Holy crap the install for Lollipop just finished and phone booted and the battery is hot.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

No way man

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Put it in the freezer! Hurry!

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Doctor Butts posted:

Holy crap the install for Lollipop just finished and phone booted and the battery is hot.

Better put it in the freezer to cool it off.

edit: aw, man, really

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Make cooling fins out of grip tape.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Whizbang posted:

Make cooling fins out of grip tape.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

It's OK guys I took off the back cover and replaced it with a custom Moto X battery heatsink in brushed aluminum with bamboo accents.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 14, 2015

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

Need some advice. Dropped my Nexus 6 and destroyed the screen and digitizer. Google wouldn't cover it and booted me to Motorola, who did not make me feel very confident they weren't going to screw up and send me the wrong phone as a refurb (i.e. I have the white 64 gig, and when I brought that up the guy didn't really seem to know what I was talking about). Are they reliable enough, or should I just take it to say Best Buy or Staples to have them fix it? The cost is going to be about the same either way.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

ArgaWarga posted:

Need some advice. Dropped my Nexus 6 and destroyed the screen and digitizer. Google wouldn't cover it and booted me to Motorola, who did not make me feel very confident they weren't going to screw up and send me the wrong phone as a refurb (i.e. I have the white 64 gig, and when I brought that up the guy didn't really seem to know what I was talking about). Are they reliable enough, or should I just take it to say Best Buy or Staples to have them fix it? The cost is going to be about the same either way.

Order the part off ebay and do it yourself. Its easy to replace the screen, plenty of videos on youtube to show you how.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Dear goons, stop dropping your phones it is making me sad.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Goons with oily fingers. What else is new?

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

r0ck0 posted:

Order the part off ebay and do it yourself. Its easy to replace the screen, plenty of videos on youtube to show you how.

I would but I'm gunshy after loving up an iPhone trying it a few years ago. I'm not usually skittish about these things but I've had zero success doing repairs on mobile devices smaller than laptops.

teagone posted:

Goons with oily fingers. What else is new?
It's not my fault, Nexus 6 is too big to hold at the same time as my chalupa and doritos :qq:

Missed my pants pocket putting it away, nothing else in my hands, no excuse:ughh:

ArgaWarga fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 14, 2015

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Syrinxx posted:

Dear goons, stop dropping your phones it is making me sad.

QFT. Cases are freaking awesome now if you get a decent one. Diztronic is the Goon approved go to, and Devilcase makes a very smart aluminum bumper for a few different models.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ArgaWarga posted:

My wife used Motorola to fix hers when she destroyed the screen. Like you, they didn't inspire confidence but in the end everything worked out with her white 64GB version.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Are these Qi coils you add to any phone worth anything?

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Wireless-Charging-Receiver-micro-USB/dp/B00H7FJX7M

I want to believe this is awesome, but I have a feeling it's poo poo.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

TraderStav posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Wireless-Charging-Receiver-micro-USB/dp/B00H7FJX7M

I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I'd raise questions about the durability of the cable.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Everyone else probably upgraded to something newer, but the Galaxy s4 GPE got the 5.1 update last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

TraderStav posted:

They work but tend to be either slow (smaller coils) or get really hot (larger coils)