Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tusen Takk posted:

South Africa is the worst place to go unless her husband was like from there or something

lol wtf

Nope. Born and bread in a hillbilly town in Indiana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I choose to believe she was just a huge fan of Die Antwoord and Apartheid.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Adiabatic posted:

I choose to believe she was just a huge fan of Die Antwoord and Apartheid.

I want to go somewhere exotic, like africa, that would be cool!

Except it has to have white people who speak english.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
My sister in law is nearing 40 and not likely to get her dream princess wedding now so she wants everyone to pitch in and rent her some couple grand a night island villa for her 40th birthday.

She's currently unemployed, her mother is facing impending early retirement and her father is a truck driver. I really loving wonder what world she's in some day.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Got my commercial trailer inspection license today! :toot:
Getting it was a process not unlike the biggoron sword quest in OOT. loving painful, took almost 3 months.
E: And I get to do it all again in a couple years to be able to sign trucks off, and a third time to inspect the terrible shitbucket cars I buy.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 14, 2015

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Help, the people at the table next to me are bitching about basic algebra, converting metric and chemistry classes in high schools. I can't think of a day (that I do something other than sit around in my boxers) where I don't wind up using something related to at least one of those things. :|

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Rhyno posted:

Nope. Born and bread in a hillbilly town in Indiana.

You truly do have the worst friends.

Continuing wedding chat, spreading out the stupid cost over the many months before the wedding helps soften the blow, and wedding gifts help bring it to closer to a zero sum game. Big flashy parties cost big flashy money, even if you're trying to be cheap.

Biggest piss off is the last minute guests who cancel, then change their mind, then cancel again, and the people who invite themselves a few days before the big event. Add a dash of family drama and the apparent inability to understand the purpose of an rsvp card and it's all a great time.

Of all the huge wastes of money, hiring a wedding planner/coordinator for the wedding day itself was the best thing ever. Every little issue got handled in the background and we didn't have to do anything but enjoy our day. This, and the photography, are the only two services that I didn't feel like we got fleeced on. Everything else :fuckoff: for your highway robbery pricing and half assed services.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

From the TFR photo thread

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Rhyno posted:

One of my girlfriend's friends had a destination wedding to loving South Africa. It would have run us close to $4000 just for the travel and stay. I know only 8 people ended up going besides the bride and groom. The brides family was pretty poor so her parents couldn't even go.

People are stupid

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Tide posted:

Google Shopping is looking better and better even if I have to pay a little more.

Ah yes, can't forget about Google's excellent customer service.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

NitroSpazzz posted:

From the TFR photo thread

Awesome.

So I mentioned last week that I got a surprise $1000 bonus. Tonight is when the direct deposit goes into my account for the paycheck it shows up on.

The net increase on my check after taxes. .. $617. :negative:

I am happy about the bonus of course, but drat, giving almost 40% of it to the government sucks rear end.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Rhyno posted:

One of my girlfriend's friends had a destination wedding to loving South Africa. It would have run us close to $4000 just for the travel and stay. I know only 8 people ended up going besides the bride and groom. The brides family was pretty poor so her parents couldn't even go.

One of my wife's cousins had his wedding in loving Dubai at that 7 star hotel shaped like a sail. I didn't even bother to look up how much it was going to cost to go but the retard invited like a thousand people or something stupid.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

The Locator posted:

Awesome.

So I mentioned last week that I got a surprise $1000 bonus. Tonight is when the direct deposit goes into my account for the paycheck it shows up on.

I am happy about the bonus of course, but drat, giving almost 40% of it to the government sucks rear end.

Every time I see how much of a bonus I receive vs how much was given, I remember the year when the company's Christmas bonus to me was a $30 Target gift card that the boss got from his wife. Nobody else got one. The previous year, everyone had received $500 or more. Lots of resume polishing ensued and 66% of the staff had moved on before June of the following year.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MustardFacial posted:

One of my wife's cousins had his wedding in loving Dubai at that 7 star hotel shaped like a sail. I didn't even bother to look up how much it was going to cost to go but the retard invited like a thousand people or something stupid.

I hate that poo poo. Let's go have a giant wedding somewhere expensive as gently caress and then invite everybody we know!

One of my good buddies had his wedding in North Carolina. And his family was so well off they were covering the hotel rooms for everyone who came. Sadly we didn't make it to that one either because I couldn't get the block of days off that I needed.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Bajaha posted:

Of all the huge wastes of money, hiring a wedding planner/coordinator for the wedding day itself was the best thing ever. Every little issue got handled in the background and we didn't have to do anything but enjoy our day. This, and the photography, are the only two services that I didn't feel like we got fleeced on. Everything else :fuckoff: for your highway robbery pricing and half assed services.

My sister has 2 wedding planners and is still freaking the gently caress out. It's a super interesting narrative to look at from very, very far away.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
In coupons theres a deal for a 99 cent custom mousepad. I made this for work:

Figured it might make me smile on a bad day.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

kimbo305 posted:

Ah yes, can't forget about Google's excellent customer service.

You don't buy google. It just searches the interwebs for the item you're looking for and collates the data.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Rhyno posted:

I hate that poo poo. Let's go have a giant wedding somewhere expensive as gently caress and then invite everybody we know!

The worst part is they didn't actually want anybody to come, the whole thing was an excuse just to say "look at how much money we have." This is more of a common practice in Indian culture than I'd like to admit.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Last night I drove an entire lap of the M25, including trips down to mid-Sussex and up to Luton, to take some of my sister's crap to Uni. I love her but she's a loving pain in the arse sometimes and I am knackered today.

P.S. The dartcharge website is wank and I have no clue if I've actually managed to pay the toll or not. :confuoot:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Rhyno posted:

One of my good buddies had his wedding in North Carolina. And his family was so well off they were covering the hotel rooms for everyone who came. Sadly we didn't make it to that one either because I couldn't get the block of days off that I needed.

I once attended the wedding of a good friend in NC. Unfortunately despite his wife's family being similarly loaded their generosity didn't extend to anyone on his side of the family and we all booked hotel rooms for three days and made the 900 mile round trip. The day of the wedding anyone not related to or invited by the bride's family was asked to leave 45 minutes following the ceremony so they could have a private reception. This included his parents, grandparents and sister who flew her family in from Colorado.

Ever since I've had a "don't go to weddings outside the family that require more than a few hours travel time and/or an overnight stay" rule.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Geoj posted:

I once attended the wedding of a good friend in NC. Unfortunately despite his wife's family being similarly loaded their generosity didn't extend to anyone on his side of the family and we all booked hotel rooms for three days and made the 900 mile round trip. The day of the wedding anyone not related to or invited by the bride's family was asked to leave 45 minutes following the ceremony so they could have a private reception. This included his parents, grandparents and sister who flew her family in from Colorado.

Ever since I've had a "don't go to weddings outside the family that require more than a few hours travel time and/or an overnight stay" rule.

Holy poo poo :stare:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Tide posted:

You don't buy google. It just searches the interwebs for the item you're looking for and collates the data.

Oh, of course. I assumed they were coming out with a new product called Shopping. As opposed to their search feature.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MustardFacial posted:

The worst part is they didn't actually want anybody to come, the whole thing was an excuse just to say "look at how much money we have." This is more of a common practice in Indian culture than I'd like to admit.

Oh yeah, been invited to those weddings as well. The best one was two years ago, they got married in Ireland yadda yadda yadda and she cheated on him like three weeks later. Poor bastard still hasn't gotten over that.

Geoj posted:

Wow. They kicked out his loving parents?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Really, anything having to do with the cost of weddings boggles my drat mind.
:goonsay:

I did mine for $200. Well, we did it at a family reunion, but we didn't really spend anything outside of the marriage license, food, and fuel.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

jammyozzy posted:

Last night I drove an entire lap of the M25, including trips down to mid-Sussex and up to Luton, to take some of my sister's crap to Uni. I love her but she's a loving pain in the arse sometimes and I am knackered today.

P.S. The dartcharge website is wank and I have no clue if I've actually managed to pay the toll or not. :confuoot:

It is quite impressive how they can make a website with such a simple purpose quite so poo poo and confusing to use.

Once you've managed to set up an account it seems to 'work' and you can see a balance and a crossing history. I also got quite confused the first time I used it and ended up with an account with no payment method attached that just went increasingly negative.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Tusen Takk posted:

Dont post in FYAD

Why in the name all things holy would anyone post in that shithole?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Just over five days left to get your answers in for the Sheep Game; entries close on Saturday night at 11pm Pacific Time. The more entries I get, the better and more hilarious the end result will be!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

iwentdoodie posted:

Emailed you dude.

Just sexted you.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
my life just got complete. me and my crew got told to smash the windows of a van and run the hoses trough it to the hydrant he had parked in front of. It felt like we where on chicago fire or something.

He had parked so loving close and his sprinter was so long that going around was going to delay the effort. even better when it turns out that the smoke filling the basement we responded to was just leaking oil in a compressor.

i have four more weeks of full duty rooster before i take a 3 month break for my final chemo. loving it

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
You should've taken a picture, it would've been internet famous.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

Cage posted:

You should've taken a picture, it would've been internet famous.

We where told not to take pictures of the aftermath because the owner was kinda of...angry and the chief tried to avoid escalation....

i know he took a picture for the paper tho. ill see if i can get it

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

MrChips posted:

Just over five days left to get your answers in for the Sheep Game; entries close on Saturday night at 11pm Pacific Time. The more entries I get, the better and more hilarious the end result will be!

I'll work on it in class tonight!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

mafoose posted:

I'm leaving for Boston tomorrow and will be in the area for 4 days. I'm going to a friend's wedding, whose fiancé got a good gig after college.

The resort where the wedding is taking place and where a lot of the wedding party is staying is $900/night.
We're staying in the cheapest place we could find, which is $140/night...

Anyways, I know I already missed NEAI, and it's the middle of the week, but if anyone wants to hang out or grab some drinks any day but Friday, let me know!

You bastard. I fly to Chicago for my brother's wedding on Wednesday and will be there until Sunday. :argh:

Geoj posted:

Wow, that's harsh. I went to a good friend from college's wedding at the start of last month and am really glad I did. Hadn't seen her in forever, and unexpectedly met the most amazing woman there.

If I ever end up getting married I'm all for keeping it simple and throwing that money at house stuff or a barn/shop/airplane/who knows what, but it's not entirely my decision clearly so who knows.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

iwentdoodie posted:

Emailed you dude.

Ive got this one

http://www.usrallyteam.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_34&products_id=359

But mine has even nicer hardware than the threaded rods in that kit plus bonus sticker. It must have gotten wet at some point so you might have to shine up the hardware a little.

Ill talk prices with you in texts. Gotta see what it'll cost to ship the intake.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

kastein posted:

You bastard. I fly to Chicago for my brother's wedding on Wednesday and will be there until Sunday. :argh:

drat!
Tell him to postpone it!

:'(

Have fun dude! I hope our paths cross some day.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The Locator posted:

I did the math on the "raise/promotion" I've been offered.

It'll be a gross increase of about $50 every 2 weeks. And seeing as I have to report tips, taxes take a large chunk out of my net pay. Kinda thinking it's not worth it, since net will probably be about $20-30 every 2 weeks.

Tide posted:

:thejoke:

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
loving pulley on the BMW failed. I have decided to build a Subaru after I get a garage. It was so much easier to work on.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
How over-underengineered was the stock VW setup that fully adjustable heim joints and machined rods is a simplification?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Wrar posted:

loving pulley on the BMW failed. I have decided to build a Subaru after I get a garage. It was so much easier to work on.

I have bad news for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The only problem I've had with my ION is the trans when I first got it, and the A/C that just went out.

granted, it still has less than 100k on it :v:

• Locked thread