Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Mange Mite posted:

At that point why not just buy a used corvette, it'll probably cost the same

Too big and wide. I want the smallest car possible, with the most amount of power possible. Nobody makes a car like that, so I'm going to do it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Semi comedy option, get an Ariel Atom and put a built turbo 4 banger in the back

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

KakerMix posted:

You get more than a value proposition when you buy a Corvette, you also buy into the 'culture' and you can't escape. Some people don't want that.

Yeah, but by and large, the culture is just waving back to the occasional old guy in a Corvette.

MustardFacial posted:

Too big and wide. I want the smallest car possible, with the most amount of power possible. Nobody makes a car like that, so I'm going to do it myself.

The C6 is less than 3" wider and 8" longer (6" of which is in the plastic front beak) than an 86.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

skipdogg posted:

Semi comedy option, get an Ariel Atom and put a built turbo 4 banger in the back

An LSx fits where a turbo-four would, right? :getin:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah, but by and large, the culture is just waving back to the occasional old guy in a Corvette.

The C6 is less than 3" wider and 8" longer (6" of which is in the plastic front beak) than an 86.

But it's still wider and longer (regardless how much of it is empty plastic). Also I don't like Corvette's.

skipdogg posted:

Didn't Ariel already make an Atom with some crazy Yamaha V8? Really, I should just get one of those however I don't have the hundred grand or whatever moon money they take to buy one of those things.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

davebo posted:

a Miata. Which already does 0-60 in 5.6 or something doesn't it? Imagine how much faster it could be.

What? Really? That's pretty close to a V6 Mustang. The fact that the Miata can do that with half the power is pretty drat amazing.

I guess I need to go test drive one.

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 19, 2015

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

MustardFacial posted:

:goonsay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuXt9FZh0fw&t=160s

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

More like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEKyu5xN6ik

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

It never moved and I was disappointed.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

KakerMix posted:

It never moved and I was disappointed.

Was the first video I saw. Try these instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luvkcP0mkgA
Skip to 3:11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk8d-bMhViM
Skip to 1:03

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Buy a Fit for 90% of your use and spend the savings on a superbike you can tow behind the Fit with multiple sets of racing tires and tools packed inside, problems solved.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Powershift posted:

No, for the miata drivers it's "purity and balance". For the FRS/BRZ drivers it's "because 200hp is enough, almost too much"

200hp is probably too much considering how many fuckheads write them off driving beyond their ability.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

200hp is more than enough for any small vehicle, people buying Mustang GTs and Camaro SSs are throwing money away if they never track the cars. Most performance cars are incredibly stupid purchases made by stupid people who think being able to floor it for a few seconds on the freeway is just the coolest poo poo ever. Power delivery matters though, which is why I am sad to see the V6 engine being killed by turbo fours. Oh well.

I still want a new Camaro SS for that small block sound, though.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Wheeee posted:

200hp is more than enough for any small vehicle, people buying Mustang GTs and Camaro SSs are throwing money away if they never track the cars. Most performance cars are incredibly stupid purchases made by stupid people who think being able to floor it for a few seconds on the freeway is just the coolest poo poo ever. Power delivery matters though, which is why I am sad to see the V6 engine being killed by turbo fours. Oh well.

As someone building a sub 200hp car for fun...that's dumb.

Power is fun, and who cares if it only gets used occasionally for a highway pull? Sometimes just pushing your foot to the floor and getting pushed back is great.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Wheeee posted:

A lot of people just want a car that has a rumbly, burblin' V8 sound and the ability to pin them to their seats during that 0 to 40 mph run from stoplight to stoplight or that 70-90 mph pass in the right-hand lane because some Prius-driving human being's going exactly 55 in the left lane.

For a lot of people, it's all about "potential." "I could do [X] with this car, but I choose not do. How cool is that?"

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I like the idea that the charger/challenger hellcats exist, even though I'd never really want to own one. Just something entertaining about the ridiculousness. Fun to tell people who hadn't heard about them too.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Alfa Giulia Q price and performance figures have been released. The 198 CO2,g/km corresponds to a combined cycle fuel consumption of about 7.5 l/100km, 31.36 MPG (US) and 37.66 MPG (UK). The 510 hp model starts at 79 000€ in Italy. Exactly the same price as BMW M3 in Italy.

Alfa Romeo posted:

Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio

Several examples of Alfa Romeo Giulia will be on show in Frankfurt, all sporting the Quadrifoglio badge to indicate their premium nature with five liveries - Competizione Red, Trofeo White, Vulcano Black, Vesuvio Grey and Montecarlo Blue - combined with leather and Alcantara interiors.

The cars on display are equipped with the powerful 510 HP six-cylinder 2.9 turbo petrol engine, inspired by Ferrari technology and expertise, which becomes the brand's new benchmark. With such a powerful engine, the Giulia Quadrifoglio ensures exhilarating performance levels: top speed of 307 km/h, it accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h in just 3.9 seconds and delivers a peak torque of 600 Nm. Outstanding performance levels, in an environmentally-friendly way as ever: not by chance, Giulia ranks best in class also in terms of emission levels, with 198 grams of CO2 per kilometre. For the Giulia, Alfa Romeo engineers have focused particularly on safety features: the car is designed to brake from 100 km/h to 0 in less than 32 metres.

Premium features and equipment, even more enhanced in the exclusive version reserved for the first customers, packed with all the sportiest and best performing details available on the range. The lightest, sportiest Giulia with carbon ceramic brake discs and Sparco ultra-light carbon seats is perfect also on the racing track. This version will be the most evolved expression of the new Giulia Quadrifoglio and will be available for booking on the days after the Frankfurt Motor Show for about 95,000 Euro in Italy.

Sales of the new Giulia Quadrifoglio for a price of about 79,000 Euro in Italy will kick off during the last quarter of the year.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Laserface posted:

200hp is probably too much considering how many fuckheads write them off driving beyond their ability.

In the past four or five track days I've been to, two 86s have crashed, one totaled another car and the other resulted in a full session getting black flagged (my session, just after the first lap, fucker). Basically, 86s driven by people under 25 shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a track.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
In other jesus gently caress! news, the loaded top-level Limited trim of the 2016 F150 nearly comes to $62,000. It's more or less just as gaudy as any luxury boat sold on a dealer's lot.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 15, 2015

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Powershift posted:

Just like when a company has built the S15 and R34 skyline, the new maxima is a disappointment. They are even now suggesting the Z-car replacement is going to be a crossover.

It would be cool if it was a rally-fighter type deal, but the back end shrouded in darkness suggests it might have too many doors. one of the other teasers shows a prndl and a 6500rpm redline which screams fun.
Isn’t there already a Nissan Z-based crossover?

The 370Z shares a platform with the G37. The G37 shares a platform with the EX35 (or whatever they call it these days). Ergo, the (Q?)EX35 shares a platform with the Z.

This is just an EX35 with a bunch of expensive mountain bike bling thrown on it.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

On the heels of the new A4, Audi announced the new S4. It now has a single turbo V6 replacing the supercharged V6 of the previous model. The manual transmission and DSG are gone. Instead it uses the ZF 8 speed.

354 HP and 369 lb-ft from 1,500 - 4,500 rpm

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

PBCrunch posted:

Isn’t there already a Nissan Z-based crossover?

The 370Z shares a platform with the G37. The G37 shares a platform with the EX35 (or whatever they call it these days). Ergo, the (Q?)EX35 shares a platform with the Z.

This is just an EX35 with a bunch of expensive mountain bike bling thrown on it.
Infiniti uses that platform in one form or another for all of their vehicles with the exception of the QX80 (Nissan Patrol) SUV.

edit - and I guess the new Q30 which is based on the Mercedes B-Class / GLA / CLA platform.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 15, 2015

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Dave Inc. posted:

In the past four or five track days I've been to, two 86s have crashed, one totaled another car and the other resulted in a full session getting black flagged (my session, just after the first lap, fucker). Basically, 86s driven by people under 25 shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a track.
Is there anything special about that car that causes this, or would those people have the same issue in a Miata or something totally different like a Mustang?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

A lot of people just want a car that has a rumbly, burblin' V8 sound and the ability to pin them to their seats during that 0 to 40 mph run from stoplight to stoplight or that 70-90 mph pass in the right-hand lane because some Prius-driving faggots going exactly 55 in the left lane.

For a lot of people, it's all about "potential." "I could do [X] with this car, but I choose not do. How cool is that?"
Exactly.
I like the feeling of acceleration. Starting speed doesn't matter.
Will I ever get to the track with my Mustang? Maybe. Will I enjoy the poo poo out it regardless? Definitely.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

david_a posted:

Is there anything special about that car that causes this, or would those people have the same issue in a Miata or something totally different like a Mustang?

I think the problem is between the steering wheel and seat

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The FR-S/GT86 is also setup to be a bit more tail-happy than the BRZ.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Dave Inc. posted:

How is that even possible? Trying to drift on a regular track day?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Mange Mite posted:

I'm going with this as well.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Wheeee posted:

You're one of those people who thinks "what's the point of buying a fast car? You can't go faster than the speed limit." Aren't you?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The first FR-S in my city got severely damaged on a test drive by a retard. On my test drive, I have to say that I found it eminently controllable, just lacking in power (coming from a Mustang, though, I can see why I feel that way). I don't know how you could wreck it on a public road (or a track, realistically) unless you were doing some really, really, really dumb poo poo.

Oh, and if you turn off traction control while driving on a public road, you should probably lose your license just for outright stupidity (I'm guessing this is a major factor in FR-S/BRZ accidents).

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

great news everybody! the new Z car is a hybrid 4 door crossover.

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/nissan-gripz-concept-a-radical-sports-crossover

Powershift fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 15, 2015

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I really hate the latest Nissan corporate grill.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CornHolio posted:

I really hate the latest Nissan corporate grill.

Both the altima and sentra are supposed to be refreshed with it for the 2016 model year. considering that the 2016 model year should be out right now and they haven't shown them scares me.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

What in the everlovin' gently caress is that thing?! :staredog:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man I can't wait until Nissan goes under.

quote:

The result pays homage to one of Nissan's first "crossovers" – the iconic Safari Rally-winning Nissan 240Z.
Go gently caress yourselves.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
That thing is awesome. Nissan is making some wierd poo poo lately, and though a lot of it looks trrriblr, as least they are trying to be evolutionary with their styling. Same goes for Toyota/Lexus. I'm glad we have have Nissan sitting there coming up with loving whacky segment busters just to see what happens.

The juke isn't for me, but I like it.

Same with the crosscabriolet. My aunt has one and it's the best "cruise around town" car I've ever driven.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Powershift posted:

great news everybody! the new Z car is a hybrid 4 door crossover.
Jesus loving Christ, Nissan.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

david_a posted:

Mange Mite posted:

Exactly this. I think it's the kind of young buyer that the car attracts. The last track day had several 86s and they were all driven by early twenty-somethings wearing hoonigan and "brake-blipshift-apex-trackout" t-shirts. They were very annoying.

BraveUlysses posted:

How is that even possible? Trying to drift on a regular track day?

Just novice drivers in RWD cars driving beyond their abilities. The first guy dropped two wheels into the grass, panicked and yanked the wheel over, spinning his car into a person passing him and crushing it against concrete. The second I don't know, just overcorrected big time after sliding a little bit. Babby's first doriftu I guess.

I actually caught the second guy's spin on camera, check it out from 19:30 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jsvF31NMTw

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Vehicross levels of bizarre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Oh.............I totally see it now

No I don't