Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

HitTheTargets posted:

What's Fantasy Flight's track record like? I heard they bought L5R and I'm wondering if that means a new edition with a bunch of new fiddle little rules.

It's p. cool that they're gonna continue the card game, I guess. But calling it a Living Card Game will never not sound ridiculous.

They make good card games, Netrunner is probably their best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

What's Fantasy Flight's track record like? I heard they bought L5R and I'm wondering if that means a new edition with a bunch of new fiddle little rules.

Their core mechanics tend to be good, but I've yet to see any of their games without at least two or three glaring mechanical flaws that scream for house rules.

e: Oh card game wise no idea. Thinking about the RPG.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Their card games tend to be pretty decent but few of them actually have scenes. I guess for L5R its safe to assume many of the players from the CCG will carry over, but I don't think i"ve ever met someone outside of a convention who plays the game.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

HitTheTargets posted:

It's p. cool that they're gonna continue the card game, I guess. But calling it a Living Card Game will never not sound ridiculous.

FFG is very good at card and board games. They're pretty good at RPGs, though not super great. While their Warhammer 40k mechanics stuff is 80's/90's as gently caress, it's worth pointing out that it started as a legacy product from another, shittier company, and when they tested meaningfully different mechanics in preparation for a second edition their forums exploded in rage. I think L5R fans are probably cooler than that, but they may still end up doing what they did with their 40k RPGs and largely housecleaning a creaky traditionalist system instead of doing something new and exciting. It's frankly too early to tell, on that front.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Countblanc posted:

Their card games tend to be pretty decent but few of them actually have scenes.

I was under the impression that Netrunner at least was fairly robust in that regard.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Len posted:

What would be the best system for running a horror themed King of the Hill game? I had a vision yesterday of Hank Hill and pals squaring off against Lovecraftian horrors and I haven't been able to shake it.

Probably Trails of Cthulhu or Hillfolk because it would be mostly story driven and episodic.

EDIT:

I think L5R is in good hands because he SW RPGs are pretty solid. I think the current games are some of the best iterations of Star Wars yet and they've done an excellent job of fleshing out the universe without just stating out the Expanded Universe. Their handling of 40K has been pretty good as well.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 15, 2015

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Len posted:

What would be the best system for running a horror themed King of the Hill game? I had a vision yesterday of Hank Hill and pals squaring off against Lovecraftian horrors and I haven't been able to shake it.

Maybe World of Darkness Hunter.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Make a hack of Octane, call it Propane.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

"As soon as I find the rear end on that blob I'm going to kick it's rear end."

But in true King of the Hill fashion he and the shoggoth next door will bond over propane and propane accessories.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Realms of Cthulhu is another good choice. There's practically a Cthulhu game for every system so take your pick.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Fuego Fish posted:

Make a hack of Octane, call it Propane.

Sounds like a real propane nightmare.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Realms of Cthulhu is another good choice. There's practically a Cthulhu game for every system so take your pick.

What is Realms of Cthulhu?

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Plague of Hats posted:

FFG is very good at card and board games. They're pretty good at RPGs, though not super great. While their Warhammer 40k mechanics stuff is 80's/90's as gently caress, it's worth pointing out that it started as a legacy product from another, shittier company, and when they tested meaningfully different mechanics in preparation for a second edition their forums exploded in rage. I think L5R fans are probably cooler than that, but they may still end up doing what they did with their 40k RPGs and largely housecleaning a creaky traditionalist system instead of doing something new and exciting. It's frankly too early to tell, on that front.

I want to play a version of L5R that uses FFG's craziest dice system. In addition to counting masks and katana on the varied dice, I want to roll a 12 sided "void die" with every roll. It's a symbolic die with all blank sides.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Baron Snow posted:

I want to play a version of L5R that uses FFG's craziest dice system. In addition to counting masks and katana on the varied dice, I want to roll a 12 sided "void die" with every roll. It's a symbolic die with all blank sides.

Nah, the Void die needs to be a mostly blank d12. On one face there's the Shadow Dragon or whatever, and if you roll it you cast an evil spell; if you roll the only other marked face, the Crab, you Hulk out and beat the ever-living poo poo out of whatever you were fighting/diplomacying/crocheting.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I legit hope that FFG does use their crazy bullshit dice system for some hypothetical L5R game. One of the interesting things about the WFRP3E game they made that didn't transfer over to Star Wars was the idea of "stances" where you could adopt a more aggressive or cautious stance that would influence your rolls both by substituting more Reckless and Cautious dice for regular ones which had their own unique layout of results as well as unlocking different actions for you to attempt the further along you were along one or the other. It seems like something you could get some mileage out of in a game about dueling and politicking samurai.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

L5R dice? One set for each clan.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Merchandising!
/

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

Serf posted:

E-even Portable Ops? Ghost Babel? Ac!d? Have mercy!

am i like Defective or something if i genuinely kinda liked Ghost Babel and the Ac!d games

portable ops was trash tho

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Marionette Owl is my problematic fave.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

after looking marionette owl up on the wiki 'cos it's been like a decade since i actually played ghost babel i am kind of torn between wanting to just be like 'wellllllllllllllll sploosh' and uh

'what the poo poo metal gear wiki'

'why do you keep saying feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeemales instead of women'

'what is THE GAME BOY DEMOGRAPHIC and why would this androgyne dollperson who is also an owlperson who is also an anime-haired blue space goth or w/e who kills feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeemales they like a bunch to strip 'em for parts like an old beater and make POSTHUMOUS PUPPET PALS appeal to ~~~~THE GAME BOY DEMOGRAPHIC~~~~~'

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Ningyou posted:

am i like Defective or something if i genuinely kinda liked Ghost Babel and the Ac!d games

No way Ac!d 2 was the bomb, even with venus's kinda silly design, such a good game.

and yeah portable ops is aggresively mediocre at best. I perfer Plus which strips out the story and lets you recruit a bunch of new soldier types like the Tengus from mgs2 and the Genome Soldiers, which i think says a lot about the story of PO.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Ningyou posted:

'what is THE GAME BOY DEMOGRAPHIC and why would this androgyne dollperson who is also an owlperson who is also an anime-haired blue space goth or w/e who kills feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeemales they like a bunch to strip 'em for parts like an old beater and make POSTHUMOUS PUPPET PALS appeal to ~~~~THE GAME BOY DEMOGRAPHIC~~~~~'

They meant me, the one who looks for QTs in GBs. Not for the frankenstein doll thing, though. :|

I dunno, can one really condense The Metal Gear Experience into something their friends can easily digest for a campaign? It seems like a lot would be lost in translation.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

giiiiiiiiiiiiirl if u lookin for qts u best look in the mirror :wink:

or in a game boy screen in bright light that's kind of like a mirror iguess

also THE METAL GEAR EXPERIENCE can be condensed into 'david hayter has rambling homoerotic robot adventures then wants to kill himself the end'

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

So I downloaded the CTech beta to take a gander, and here's this at the front:

quote:

Yes, when this is finally released, it will be under the Creative Commons license.

:golfclap:

EDIT: Woof, no bookmarks? :colbert:

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 15, 2015

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

TurninTrix posted:

They meant me, the one who looks for QTs in GBs. Not for the frankenstein doll thing, though. :|

I dunno, can one really condense The Metal Gear Experience into something their friends can easily digest for a campaign? It seems like a lot would be lost in translation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRHT3hgsgpE

Serf
May 5, 2011

Ningyou posted:

Nah, I'm mostly joking. Portable Ops sucked, and I never finished Ghost Babel because some jerk stole my Gameboy. Acid was pretty cool, but I've never met anyone who actually liked it.

Ningyou posted:

also THE METAL GEAR EXPERIENCE can be condensed into 'david hayter has rambling homoerotic robot adventures then wants to kill himself the end'

Accurate.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

TurninTrix posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9XOSzVb0O0 the Metal Gear Experience™.

Serf
May 5, 2011

To be fair, "Second Floor Basement" sounds like nonsense. If it's the second floor of the basement, wouldn't that just be the first floor? And it it's the basement to the second floor wouldn't it be the... first floor? For once I feel like I can identify with Snake.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Serf posted:

To be fair, "Second Floor Basement" sounds like nonsense. If it's the second floor of the basement, wouldn't that just be the first floor? And it it's the basement to the second floor wouldn't it be the... first floor? For once I feel like I can identify with Snake.
Basements are just floors that are underground hence the reason why you can have multiple basements.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

This is…[gravelly, nasally voice] correct?

Serf
May 5, 2011

MadScientistWorking posted:

Basements are just floors that are underground hence the reason why you can have multiple basements.

Understand that where I come from a basement is something you see on TV. Might as well be something off of Star Trek. So when I first played Metal Gear Solid as a kid, the concept of a "Second Floor Basement" was mystifying to me. Snake says a lot of dumb things in that game, but in that case I was with him.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Baron Snow posted:

poo poo like this is why I asked. I'm only familiar with their Star Wars system, and even then I worried that crit failing a roll would cause it to automatically be a Scorpion trick.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
It's always a Scorpion trick.

Always.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Serf posted:

As somebody who has been places with basements, nah, that's totally normal phrasing.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Esser-Z posted:

As somebody who has been places with basements, nah, that's totally normal phrasing.

So the Second Floor Basement is lower than the regular basement? Might as well call it the Super Basement or Basement Level 2.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Really, it should be called Floor -2 (and the ground floor should be Floor 0, not Floor 1).

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Serf posted:

So the Second Floor Basement is lower than the regular basement? Might as well call it the Super Basement or Basement Level 2.

Or sub-basement.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Error 404 posted:

Or sub-basement.

I mean one basement is bad enough but once you start digging lower than that you've basically hit Hell or that place where balrogs come from.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Serf posted:

And this... is to go even further below!!! :ssj:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Fun fact: the very first dungeon started with some dragon commenting that it would be great to add a sub-basement to Ye Olde Lair, maybe set up a terrarium down there? And then a century passes and whoops! Things got a little out of hand. And of course everybody thought it was super cool and a host of imitators ripped the idea off and now here we are...

• Locked thread