Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I really like the bullet hell nature of the boss fights. Those sudden slashes seemed terrible to dodge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Woah, your Melissa looks, well, not extremely different than the one I saw, but more like it's more washed out. Then I saw you were playing it on the DS instead of the PSP and now I guess I know why. I always just tried to burst Melissa down.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I hope you continue this series, HaroldOfTheRock. This is probably my favorite informative let's play I've ever seen, just all around amazing job of showing off an obscure game.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Are things okay, HaroldofTheRock?

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
Yes! I live! And the LP will be back. I'm sorry about the obscene delay. I have the usual checklist of excuses...real life interference, computer issues, etc...due to some problems with my setup, I may be forced to do the rest of the game with post commentary only, unless I figure something out. But to be honest, that might be good for the LP anyway.

At any rate, I am still planning to finish this thing (we're about 1/3 of the way through the game). As luck would have it, the next videos will be plot recap, so at least it should help people remember wtf is going on when the LP resumes.

Once again I apologize for the delay. I'll try to get some videos up by next weekend, but I can't promise.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

No need to apologise, I'm just glad the LP is still alive. This game looks really interesting but at the same time I can't be arsed to play it, so it's good to watch you do it, and your commentary definitely adds to it.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

This LP actually convinced me to try and find a copy of the game at three different local retro game stores. No luck. I guess if I was willing to do that much I should just order it online...

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
This is the best news I've heard all day. I've always been intrigued by this game since I first read about it in Nintendo Power but never had a chance to snag a copy so this LP is perfect for me.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Don't worry mate. As the old saying goes, life >lp's. Glad to see you'll still do 'em.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
Once again, thank you guys for your patience.

:siren::siren:New Video!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRp8Lse5kUk
:siren::siren:

This video is a Plot Recap (one of three).
This particular video was completed a while back, but I ended up re-editing it a couple times. I'd probably keep editing it forever so I figured I'd better get it published.

Recap video 2 is about 70% done, same with Recap 3. I hope to have Recap 2 up in a few days.

Thanks for sticking around, guys! :D

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Thanks, and thank you for continuing this gem.

It isn't much, but I think your map does the trick and I was able to understand what you were talking about.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 9, 2015

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

FAT BATMAN posted:

This LP actually convinced me to try and find a copy of the game at three different local retro game stores. No luck. I guess if I was willing to do that much I should just order it online...

Well, the PSP version can be bought on PSN.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Thank you for the recap. It helped make more sense of what's going on.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
:siren::siren:New video: Plot recap, Video 2:siren::siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUcjUJfnZNw

Here is video 2 of the recap. I am leaving town for some family stuff so it will probably be next week before the next video, which will be the final recap. After that, we get back to some gameplay.

FAT BATMAN posted:

gently caress, how did I miss this post before? This is awesome, I really encourage you to seek out the game. If you find it, stop watching the LP and experience it for yourself :D

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This game is a great example of "less is more". I felt like it really got buried underneath excessive complexity and demanding way too much of the player at the beginning. The worst of it is that monsters are actually pretty weak and if you're on easy or normal, you can pretty much just use a handful of knights instead of trying to balance everyone out, which is a huge, obtuse pain in the butt.

I still liked it, even though the complexity overwhelmed me and I lost interest a few scenes back when I first played it. If the system had less overhead and tacked-on bullshit, it'd be pretty great.

Kerris
Jul 12, 2006
Don't you fucking dare compliment a woman's voice on the forums, you fucking creepy stalker.
Will we meet any knights that are still alive? :(

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Kerris posted:

Will we meet any knights that are still alive? :(

Well, they're not all dead yet.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, pretty much. We do occasionally see knights alive and well in cutscenes, for example I mention in the recap videos that the knight Capehorn assigns to monitor Yelma is named Vishna. Another example is with the knights who find the prince's corpse. That was Marion and Lucia; their distinct portraits let you know yeah, they have names and we will probably cross paths with them. When we saw them, they were like "oh holy poo poo it's the prince, oh man he's dead, not like us, who are alive".

But as time passes, and when we actually run into them in game...

:siren::siren:NEW VIDEO: Plot Recap, Video 3:siren::siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KaXGE5Mo7s

This is the last recap video, next one will return to gameplay.

Pollyanna posted:

This game is a great example of "less is more". I felt like it really got buried underneath excessive complexity and demanding way too much of the player at the beginning. The worst of it is that monsters are actually pretty weak and if you're on easy or normal, you can pretty much just use a handful of knights instead of trying to balance everyone out, which is a huge, obtuse pain in the butt.

I still liked it, even though the complexity overwhelmed me and I lost interest a few scenes back when I first played it. If the system had less overhead and tacked-on bullshit, it'd be pretty great.

Yeah, probably the game's biggest flaw is how much poo poo they throw at you in the beginning. It would've helped to have the tutorial a bit more user friendly and less dry, and to introduce gameplay elements over the course of a couple stages. I will say that once you get the game down, it has its own distinct flow that makes sense.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
:siren::siren:Update: Scene 15: Fruitless Efforts:siren::siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYOq6GCPbmw
:siren:

Finally, back to some gameplay.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Yay, back to the story!

Also the fairy's reaction at the end...I couldn't blame anyone playing for thinking the same if they missed something by mistake. At least there were no more key items here.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

It took so long, but we have finally gotten to the Gunther fight. I have been waiting for this next video.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
With the Knight Monsters, could you look at their monster line or whatever the term is to see when they are going to stop guarding? Seems like while they have fakeout animations, the line is pretty clear on when the monster will start an attack.

Though guess with everything going on on the screen you mightn't have time to look at those lines.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
:siren::siren:Update: Scene 16. Knight in Tainted Armor. Clash with the Black Knight Gunther:siren::siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qvPJUSyPTQ

KNIGHTS WE RECRUITED LAST TIME:
Meryl U. Shretter of the 2nd Order

“You have my support, even if from the shadows.”
Class: Priestess
Atlus.com says this of Meryl:
“A caring, motherly woman who watches over her order. She is a direct subordinate of Grand Marshal Gunther, and often speaks highly of him.”
The Tome of Lost Souls says:
Ardent Prayer
“She is an angelic, motherly Priestess who loves all the knights equally, and her compassion and kind words have earned her a spot in the hearts of her comrades. She works closely with Gunther and has great faith that Rolf will one day be worthy to follow in his shoes.”

Johanna W. Swift of the 2nd Order

Class: Duelist
Atlus.com say this of Johanna:
No entry!
Diamond Cutter
“A beautiful, young knight, she seems frail and naïve to the men around her. Consequently, many of the knights feel an extra need to protect her. Aside from being notoriously bad at cooking, Johanna’s biggest weakness is sweet talk, and she often finds herself falling for the wrong kind of man. Because of this, Meryl tries to look out for her. Johanna’s best friend is Diora, even though the two have seemingly opposite personalities.”

Shinji117 posted:

With the Knight Monsters, could you look at their monster line or whatever the term is to see when they are going to stop guarding? Seems like while they have fakeout animations, the line is pretty clear on when the monster will start an attack.

Though guess with everything going on on the screen you mightn't have time to look at those lines.

Holy poo poo, you might be on to something. I'll have to keep that in mind next time I run into those guys. Good call!

HaroldofTheRock fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 9, 2015

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
Another question, would Traps/Grams work in the Gunther fight? It seems you could lay traps while the boss was elsewhere to get in damage without risking your charged Knights (I didn't pay that much attention before, but I assume the Knights don't stay material while their Gram is out otherwise the idea is really bad), and would assume enemy knight monsters couldn't guard traps given how they activate when stepped on and IIRC they can't guard while moving? Though if I remember priestess and wizard directions correctly they'd need to be in the hermit/free spot and given how key the hermit was in your fight it mightn't be worth it.

Am getting this game in a couple of days (though for PSP, so not sure how controls'll work) so am trying to brainstorm stratgies and so on.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
The knights only seem to not be guarding when they're in an attack animation, so having them walk into a Gram wouldn't be any better than attacking them normally.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug

Shinji117 posted:

Another question, would Traps/Grams work in the Gunther fight? It seems you could lay traps while the boss was elsewhere to get in damage without risking your charged Knights (I didn't pay that much attention before, but I assume the Knights don't stay material while their Gram is out otherwise the idea is really bad), and would assume enemy knight monsters couldn't guard traps given how they activate when stepped on and IIRC they can't guard while moving? Though if I remember priestess and wizard directions correctly they'd need to be in the hermit/free spot and given how key the hermit was in your fight it mightn't be worth it.

Am getting this game in a couple of days (though for PSP, so not sure how controls'll work) so am trying to brainstorm stratgies and so on.

That's an interesting idea. I see no reason why grams wouldn't work on Gunther himself, and the priestesses and wizards de-materialize after they leave a gram, so they'd be safe. Also, regarding the location I had Moira in...a priestess (or wizard) would work really well there and be able to cover a lot of area using a weapon opposite of the gram (so a Law weapon for priestess or Chaos weapon for wizard). You could double up or use a weapon that can cover both Law/Chaos and have it covered pretty easily I bet. I actually considered putting a priestess there to use in Law phase, but I went with Moira because she charges faster and I was afraid of prolonged charging with Gunther running around. You should definitely try it out when you get to Gunther, I'm interested in hearing if it works! The DS version only has one save file so I won't be able to go back and check.

A good poster posted:

The knights only seem to not be guarding when they're in an attack animation, so having them walk into a Gram wouldn't be any better than attacking them normally.

It is possible to hit them while they are in transit to another square, but the window of opportunity is small. I'd say grams would be worth a try; next time I have to deal with those fuckers we'll check it out.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
:siren::siren:Update. Scene 17: A Presence Draws Near:siren::siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7XPm8OGx4A

KNIGHT WE RECRUITED LAST TIME
Reinhart Ross Valero of the 4th Order

”I want nothing more than to lay my true enemies to rest where they stand.”
Class: Lance Knight
Atlus.com say this of Reinhart:
A gentle soul with respect for all life. Though he would like to act in this time of crisis, he understands his position and sees it through.
Immortal Rider
“He is a fearless knight who is driven by his intense honor and loyalty to the kingdom. Off the battlefield, he always makes time to listen to his subordinates and even counsel them on their troubles. Reinhart takes great pride in his horse, whom he named Chatreau, and he holds Grand Marshal Gunther in high esteem.”

BOSS FIGHT FROM LAST TIME
GUNTHER: CURSED SOUL

Game Designer Ito posted:

Because I really wanted him to leave an exceptional impact on the player, I asked for the cursed, boss design to be done first. And then, that would be the guide for designing his former, human form.

Illustrator Tobe posted:

Since the full image wouldn’t be displayed (just from the chest up), I had a hard time trying to make him look both grand and ominous in just that area of his body. It was Mr. Ito’s idea to give him the tattered look to demonstrate that he’s been cursed.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Hey, I meant to commet after the last boss fight - that was really pretty crazy, and I can see how the difficulty really ramps up for certain scenarios.

On another note, how important is it to recruit all the knights you meat along the way?

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
It's not mandatory and doesn't affect the game's ending or anything. In fact, if you don't recruit any knights at all, the game will provide generics for you.

However if you have some particular knights you're leveling up and using to get through the game (like we are), you'll need new recruits for transoul :smith:

As for what becomes of un-recruited knights: they will eventually dissipate into nothing.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Immortal Rider
“He is a fearless knight who is driven by his intense honor and loyalty to the kingdom. Off the battlefield, he always makes time to listen to his subordinates and even counsel them on their troubles. Reinhart takes great pride in his horse, whom he named Chatreau, and he holds Grand Marshal Gunther in high esteem.”

Well he sure failed to live up to that title, huh.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
Upon getting my PSP copy, I have found that while the three save slots is handy, the controls seem a lot more clunky compared to stylus movement and weapon organization is really bad.

Also, spiders are the worst, given how they are guaranteed to cover up one item slot if they get their web off (one item slot in each corner of the screen for PSP version as opposed to all in one corner). At least my enemy line trick for enemy guard-Knights seems to work, at least on the PSP version.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 11, 2015

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug

Shinji117 posted:

Upon getting my PSP copy, I have found that while the three save slots is handy, the controls seem a lot more clunky compared to stylus movement and weapon organization is really bad.

Also, spiders are the worst, given how they are guaranteed to cover up one item slot if they get their web off (one item slot in each corner of the screen for PSP version as opposed to all in one corner). At least my enemy line trick for enemy guard-Knights seems to work, at least on the PSP version.

Huh, interesting. The spider problem sounds real annoying. In the DS version, you have the risk of a web wiping out access to all your inventory, but I guess at least then it's a 1:4 chance. And it is hard to imagine playing the game without a stylus, I don't know if I could pull it off.

Good call on the knights' attack indicater thing! I'll definitely try to take advantage of that next time I deal with them. We still need answers on if grams will hit them, and how well grams work on Gunther. I'll be waiting for your report :)

However now that you're playing through the game, I do think you should stop watching the lp...there are some cool bosses coming up that you should experience for yourself.

I hope you're having fun with it! And I still think a psp let's play would be cool to see ;)

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
Another note, for Shinji117 or anyone else playing through the game for the first time: (vague spoiler) If you care about getting a good ending, you might want to consult a faq before getting too far in the game

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
:siren::siren:Update: Video 22, Scene 18: The Yearning Souls:siren::siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC13y-NOBKE

KNIGHT WE RECRUITED LAST TIME:
Anette Asim Straud of the 7th Order

”Do I really look so unreliable?”
Atlus.com say this of Anette:
A low-ranking priestess who looks much younger than her age, and is often mistaken for a child. She furthers this misconception with her love of sweets.
Blazing Shepherd
”Because she looks and acts extremely young, she is constantly underestimated by the people around her. Her uncle, Donnel, is constantly worried about her and thinks she needs someone to watch over her at all times. Anette is secretly jealous of Misleen, whom she feels is prettier and more talented.”

Klaus D. Strick of the 7th Order

”It is just as much my duty to worry about the family I’ve left behind.”
Class: Lance Knight
Atlus.com say this of Klaus:
”A veteran knight and father who cares very much for his family. He has great respect for the warriors of his order.”
Still Rider
“He puts his wife and daughters above all else, including his duties as a knight. He looks up to Basturk and General Rondine with great admiration, and he is longtime friends with Josef.”

:siren:We are going to vote on a permanent Priestess:siren:
I haven’t used Priestess all that much in the game yet, but they do possess some helpful attributes and can make the difference in a fight.

quote:

Priestesses
”Follow my lead. We’ll obliterate the enemy!”
Faces: southwest, southeast
Mobility: none
Weapon: Rod/Mace
Sex: Female only

Priestess are capable of covering quite a bit of ground with their attacks in Law Phase. Additionally, it seems that many of their weapons have the attribute of launching enemies and knocking them to the ground when they are struck. When this happens, you are presented with the ability to switch the enemy’s elemental affinity; a small box appears next to the monster and if you spin it, the element will change. This can be very useful if you couldn’t fit enough weapons to cover all the monsters’ elements; just change it to something you can exploit. Note that this is not exclusive to Priestesses, but it does seem like their weapons do it frequently.

In Chaos Phase, Priestesses attack with “gram” traps, similar to a Wizard’s attack in Law Phase. I don’t particularly care for grams, and do not plan to use them very often.

Below are the Priestesses we have recruited so far. I included some stats on each one, for a refresher on what the graphs mean, refer to this post:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3680784&userid=37611&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post441749251

Reading that is optional, though, because:

We can't get screwed by a bad pick. I'm only playing on Normal; we have room for error. If by some act of god I find myself in a corner, there is always going to be another Priestess I just recruited and can use. So really, I want us to pick our Priestess by her character attributes. Pick the one you want to see more Pause Talks from, or the one with the portrait you like best, or flip a coin.

Ok, if you've read this much and are interested in voting, here are the rules:
One vote per poster
Put your votes in bold please
You can vote for "I don't like these Priestesses, let's wait until we recruit more"
In the event of a tie or if "I don't like these Priestesses" wins, we will table the vote until the next Priestess is recruited, and try again. Any Priestesses that received a vote will be spared from Transoul until the next vote.
The polls close next time I post a video. So, uh, Wednesday or something

OUR CONTESTANTS:

Simone Alexei of the 11th Order

Atlus.com says this of Simone:
No entry!
The Tome of Lost Souls says this:
Ivory Disciple
”Her gentle, caring, motherly personality has garnered her immense popularity among her peers. From time to time, she acts as a fortuneteller, and many consider her readings to be very accurate. She and Cress have been very close since the two entered knighthood, and Simone trusts her with her deepest secrets.”

Lyzz Linda Ragford of the 2nd Order

“People know I work hard. But the truth is, I lack the confidence to do any less.”
Atlus.com says this of Lyzz:
”Orphaned at a young age, Lyzz became a quiet admirer of the skilled knights around her. She can often be found playing her flute.”
The Tome of Lost Souls says this:
Light Bringer
”Her loving parents passed away while Lyzz was very young, and she was adopted by Isabel. She is constantly unsure of herself, so she puts everything she has into each task she undertakes. When Lyzz joined the knights, Ernest saw she had great potential but lacked the confidence, so he took her under his wing. She has also become good friends with Woosh, and she holds all her superiors in high regard.”

Meryl U. Shretter of the 2nd Order

“You have my support, even if from the shadows.”
Atlus.com says this of Meryl:
“A caring, motherly woman who watches over her order. She is a direct subordinate of Grand Marshal Gunther, and often speaks highly of him.”
Ardent Prayer
“She is an angelic, motherly Priestess who loves all the knights equally, and her compassion and kind words have earned her a spot in the hearts of her comrades. She works closely with Gunther and has great faith that Rolf will one day be worthy to follow in his shoes.”

Anette Asim Straud of the 7th Order

”Do I really look so unreliable?”
Atlus.com say this of Anette:
A low-ranking priestess who looks much younger than her age, and is often mistaken for a child. She furthers this misconception with her love of sweets.
Blazing Shepherd
”Because she looks and acts extremely young, she is constantly underestimated by the people around her. Her uncle, Donnel, is constantly worried about her and thinks she needs someone to watch over her at all times. Anette is secretly jealous of Misleen, whom she feels is prettier and more talented.”

Good luck ladies! Any Priestess that does not make the cut will be subject to Transoul.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Meryl can be our team mom until scene 43.

I like Anette's design the most out of our contestants but her LI is very low and you've made it clear what your thoughts on Grams are.

Also, Riviera is probably a mistranslation, since it refers to a specific place that isn't in this game. Atlus has tended to not handle localization of other developers' games very well.

AweStriker fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 14, 2015

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I forgot to say it before, but Klaus' helmet is really sweet. Dude's got good fashion taste.

Also I vote for Lyzz entirely because I like her design.

The Gentlemieu
Jan 1, 2013
Soiled Meat
Lyzz

But I also wouldn't mind waiting to see different priestesses.

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
Lyzz is my vote as well.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Lyzz

Anette has better Vit growth, but a terrible Law index, so go with Lyzz - second best, and a much better Law index.

But again, switch her out at chapter 43.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
:siren::siren:UPDATE: Scene 19: The Lost Dominion:siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKENIu7Zd70

KNIGHTS WE RECRUITED LAST TIME

Oswald J. Titus of the 10th Order

”Lady Frabela is to be admired. She never loses sight of herself.”
Class: Archer
Atlus.com say this of Oswald:
”One of Frabela’s most trusted subordinates, he is an excellent judge of character, and an expert archer.”
Cheerful Raptor
“One of General Frabela’s favorites, he is treated more like a brother than a subordinate. Many feel that with his skills, Oswald would make a great General one day, but unfortunately, he does not hold his talent in such high regard. He is considered one of the top five Archers in the kingdom and was even offered a position in the 1st Order, but he declined it. His mistrust for Ganosh was a large factor in this decision.”

Fritz Rupio Oh Dayan of the 9th Order

”The only way to win a war is with a smile.”
Class: Warrior
Atlus.com say this of Fritz:
”A man who puts on a gruff exterior, but is in truth full of cheer and optimism. He takes it upon himself to entertain his comrades.”
Barreling Ox
“He is a gruff man with a very unrefined vocabulary. Deep down, Fritz is genuinely kindhearted and loyal. Before becoming a knight, he used to deliver packages with Gilder. He holds Rolf in very high regard, and he is often worried about Cornela.”

VOTING RESULTS

Meryl: 1
Lyzz: 4
The people have spoken! Lyzz will be our permanent priestess!

Blaze Dragon posted:

I forgot to say it before, but Klaus' helmet is really sweet. Dude's got good fashion taste.

Agreed, it is a pretty badass helmet.

AweStriker posted:

Also, Riviera is probably a mistranslation, since it refers to a specific place that isn't in this game. Atlus has tended to not handle localization of other developers' games very well.

I could buy that, it seemed kind of out of left field.

• Locked thread