Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Thanks. I didn't want to try to practice without knowing what I was supposed to be doing. A lot of my frustration starting out came from the confusing way that commands are codified in the command list, since adjacent direction inputs like [quarter circle][quarter circle] obviously have to be sequential, while google told me that [Kick][Kick][Kick] is simultaneous.

I just started playing this (SSF4, not USF4) on xbox360 and am having a lot of fun so far. I'm not very experienced with fighting games, but coming to this from MK9 is a really big and exciting change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Simultaneously with the last directional input of a motion or shortly thereafter.

Isn't that wrong? I'm fairly sure it has to be after, not simultaneously.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's funny how googling it was not as easy as I expected, either...

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Nev posted:

you can press the final direction and the button on the same frame and it works. in fact in games like tekken you have to get the same frame for some moves

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Remind me to never play Tekken...

(more about my skill level than a judgement on the game)

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.

dangerdoom volvo posted:

you can press the final direction and the button on the same frame and it works. in fact in games like tekken you have to get the same frame for some moves

Weird. I specifically recall looking through the input log in training mode when I was starting out whenever a move didn't come out, just to make sure I didn't press the button at the same time as the forward motion in a qcf, for example. I'm going to have to try this after work, will post again.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Quarter-circle forward + punch is "supposed" to be down, down/forward, forward+punch. I.e., punch button happens at the same time as the end of the motion. But like Bebop said, there's a pretty fat window between the end of the QCF and when you have to hit punch that's totally allowable, and hitting punch early is more likely to make you screw up, so err toward hitting it later rather than earlier.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
SF1 made you hit the button on the same frame as finishing the motion. It was total hell.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Brosnan posted:

Quarter-circle forward + punch is "supposed" to be down, down/forward, forward+punch. I.e., punch button happens at the same time as the end of the motion. But like Bebop said, there's a pretty fat window between the end of the QCF and when you have to hit punch that's totally allowable, and hitting punch early is more likely to make you screw up, so err toward hitting it later rather than earlier.

This actually makes perfect sense. It's only confusing because they show a quarter-circle stick motion in the command list instead of the arrows like they show in input log in training.

Second noob question: What is the deal with focus attacks? Are they something I should try to get familiar with as soon as possible, or are they more of an advanced thing that I shouldn't worry about until I have developed some fundamentals and better input consistency?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Snak posted:

Second noob question: What is the deal with focus attacks? Are they something I should try to get familiar with as soon as possible, or are they more of an advanced thing that I shouldn't worry about until I have developed some fundamentals and better input consistency?

The second thing. Fundamentals and input execution trump flashy poo poo. I know this because I don't practice fundamentals or input execution and try to do Sako combos in training mode instead. As a result, I get owned hard and am trash tier. I still have fun though! That said, I actually didn't get super comfortable implementing focus attacks/FADCs in real matches until almost a year of playing USF4.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

teagone posted:

The second thing. Fundamentals and input execution trump flashy poo poo. I know this because I don't practice fundamentals or input execution and try to do Sako combos in training mode instead. As a result, I get owned hard and am trash tier. I still have fun though! That said, I actually didn't get super comfortable implementing focus attacks/FADCs in real matches until almost a year of playing USF4.

I figured, but I wasn't sure if using the armor effect was a good defensive tactic early on. Glad to hear it's not, because holy poo poo this game is complicated.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Snak posted:

This actually makes perfect sense. It's only confusing because they show a quarter-circle stick motion in the command list instead of the arrows like they show in input log in training.

Until you can dash cancel your focus attacks consistently, do not use them. They become too unsafe and have too low reward.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
They also only exist in SF4 and SF5 is on the way, so...

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Nev posted:

No it isn't wrong.

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

Magus42 posted:

No it isn't wrong.

drat, I just tried it out. You're all correct. I have been playing this game for over four years, now I feel like I don't know up from down anymore.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Anyone wanna play some matches on steam? Haven't played in a few months so I'm a bit out of practice.

Partial Octopus fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 14, 2015

Souplesse
May 31, 2011

Gentlemoas.

Partial Octopus posted:

Anyone wanna play some matches on steam? Haven't played in a few months so I'm a bit out of practice.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ssixseconds Sure, I'm also a bad. Be warned, my internet isn't the greatest :(

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis
http://steamcommunity.com/id/curex/

hit me up anyone

borbo fight me again gimme another chance pls i wont be stupid i promise????

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
I would also like to play this game on the steam internets with peoples.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/trykt/

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
I only play XRD.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Is Dudley a good character to learn the ropes with? I know Ryu/Ken and Balrog tend to get recommended a lot, but the shotos don't really appeal to me, and while I have tooled around with Balrog some, I like the idea of playing a more mobile punchman.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

Is Dudley a good character to learn the ropes with? I know Ryu/Ken and Balrog tend to get recommended a lot, but the shotos don't really appeal to me, and while I have tooled around with Balrog some, I like the idea of playing a more mobile punchman.

Definitely not, in my opinion.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

The Lord of Hats posted:

Not really. Dudley makes his living off of having great hit confirms off of his normals, but playing him well means you need good execution, good reactions, and the ability to find your combos on the fly. You can play Dudley with simple combos, but you're really crippling yourself.

Besides that, he has almost no full screen and few midscreen options, and finding your way into close range is difficult against many characters, especially as a new player.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
:saddowns:

Welp, back to cheating at boxing for me, then!

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

I only play XRD.

You played ST with me like last week

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005
http://steamcommunity.com/id/magicalmako/

Fight me!

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
This is probably a stupid question, but I always hear that Makoto is a very difficult character to play. Are there any characters that have similar playstyles but are more beginner-friendly? I've been playing with Ryu and Chun Li and Balrog and they're cool, but Makoto is my :swoon: character and I want to build up to her if that's even a thing.

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005
She's very difficult to play, it took me a few months to get even remotely not awful with her.

Seth is kind of like her in that he makes you guess on every knockdown and if you guess wrong a few times, you're pretty wrecked.

edit: I went from a completely rear end Guile to Makoto, play what and how you want!

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

I'm usually up for some matches and am pretty bad so hit me up if you need a self-esteem boost or something!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/LTHobojim/

I'm even worse at KOFXIII!

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Cephas posted:

This is probably a stupid question, but I always hear that Makoto is a very difficult character to play. Are there any characters that have similar playstyles but are more beginner-friendly? I've been playing with Ryu and Chun Li and Balrog and they're cool, but Makoto is my :swoon: character and I want to build up to her if that's even a thing.

You might like Cammy. Not quite the same but still super rushdown. Honestly if you really want to play Makoto just grind it out with her. She's complex but she's not impossible to learn.
Here's a pretty decent tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nesydMw-jTU

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
:siren: New character REVEAL:siren: everyone i hope you love...

EL FUERTE!

E: video got pulled reuploading.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2YWUh80WFU

nah its karin :3:

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 17, 2015

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Finally

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Gootecks made a guide for SF for scrubs like me.

It's currently free on Amazon for a limited time.

You can find it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Simplifying-S...ywords=gootecks

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Himuro posted:

Gootecks made a guide for SF for scrubs like me.

It's currently free on Amazon for a limited time.

You can find it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Simplifying-S...ywords=gootecks

Oh drat, thanks for this. I read that last book you recommended a few months ago, and I'd like to think it helped a little. I'll give this one a go too.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The Gootecks guide is pretty good for beginners and covers topics like gaming hardware, Ethernet connection, and getting competitive at a game when the scene is fresh.

Not bad for $0.00!

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I don't see a buy or download button anywhere. Is it because I'm on mobile?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Tips with learning Chun Li, please. I have no idea what I'm doing.

Mute the video because the sound is hosed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6gNpmDYMIk

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Himuro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e42UQy9vNKE

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Himuro posted:

-Don't jump in unless you got a good reason
-Learn your anti-airs (s.mk and cr.mp are good ones)
-Poke with s.MP from midrange, you're using s.HK from that range and that move is super slow and duckable.
-Don't use spinning bird unless it's in a combo or if you're using EX as a reversal.

That should get you in the right direction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Yeah, I struggle not jumping in with charge characters, because with a regular input character like Ryu or Poison, I always have an option to get someone from getting in my space or an offense. With someone like Chun or Guile, I'm like "oh poo poo, I need do some damage and my charge is taking forever". Definitely an adjustment thing. I like her though.

• Locked thread