Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Right about now I feel like if he got an offer from Fox News for his own show or some other conservative based opportunity, I feel like he would take it. From the direction he has gone the last couple of years, it seems like he would love to be given like 4 hours a day on AM radio to limbaugh it up. Its right up his alley at this point. If the price were right and it was LA based, I really do think he would go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Adam's about as conservative as a person on the left coast can be, but he's not a partisan. I don't think he'd be the kind of water carrier most political talk show hosts need to be (think of hosts like Rush Limbaugh and Jon Stewart who only attack their own parties in facile and meaningless ways, then compare them to someone like Adam who bitches everybody out).

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I don't know how much his bank account would take a hit if he did this, but I think Adam would be better off if he stopped doing so many podcasts a week. Just do one or two a week and it might make them seem more fresh and it'd feel less like a chore for him, perhaps. I still pay attention to this thread because Adam was one of the people who got me into listening to podcasts, but I stopped listening a while ago because it's really tough to keep up with that many podcasts a week when you're doing other things(and have other podcasts to listen to, besides).

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I don't think they'd give an atheist a show on any conservative network.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Irish Joe posted:

Adam's about as conservative as a person on the left coast can be, but he's not a partisan. I don't think he'd be the kind of water carrier most political talk show hosts need to be (think of hosts like Rush Limbaugh and Jon Stewart who only attack their own parties in facile and meaningless ways, then compare them to someone like Adam who bitches everybody out).

You don't know who Jon Stewart is if you're speaking his name in the same vein as Rush Limbaugh. Also, you're Irish Joe.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Apoplexy posted:

You don't know who Jon Stewart is if you're speaking his name in the same vein as Rush Limbaugh.

They're both partisans who use the bully pulpit of mass media to rally people around their respective political platforms. The only difference between them is that Limbaugh is at least honest enough to admit he's a political commentator, while Stewart hides his proselytizing behind the veil of "comedy."

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
You think he's partisan? Pfft. You don't know the meaning if you think Jon Stewart is.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Apoplexy posted:

You think he's partisan? Pfft. You don't know the meaning if you think Jon Stewart is.

Lol you're more wrong than Irish Joe that takes some skill dude.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
The major difference is that Rush Limbaugh is fundamentally dishonest hope that helps!

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

Beeez posted:

I don't know how much his bank account would take a hit if he did this, but I think Adam would be better off if he stopped doing so many podcasts a week. Just do one or two a week and it might make them seem more fresh and it'd feel less like a chore for him, perhaps. I still pay attention to this thread because Adam was one of the people who got me into listening to podcasts, but I stopped listening a while ago because it's really tough to keep up with that many podcasts a week when you're doing other things(and have other podcasts to listen to, besides).

His bank account will likely take the hit. Adam has a core niche of followers (fans of the classic era of Loveline, young conservatives, and the people who liked The Man Show and the seemingly dozens of things he did with Comedy Central in the early and mid 2000s) who will follow him around wherever and don't seem to get tired of talking about the same Gavin Newsom stories. His other podcasts have a chance of pulling in a smattering of other groups people who are interested in some of the other subjects he talks about like racing or home improvement. As repetitive and obnoxious that he is now, he probably has the right money making formula for him.

visuvius posted:

Right about now I feel like if he got an offer from Fox News for his own show or some other conservative based opportunity, I feel like he would take it. From the direction he has gone the last couple of years, it seems like he would love to be given like 4 hours a day on AM radio to limbaugh it up. Its right up his alley at this point. If the price were right and it was LA based, I really do think he would go for it.

I think he really liked his morning radio show. If it never got cancelled, he'd still be doing it now. I also suspect he really wanted his Comedy Central late night show to be a hit. He probably saw himself being at the level Jimmy Kimmel is or better at this point in his life. At this point, it ain't gonna happen; he's burned too many bridges. He knows this (Alison Rosen brought this up when she got canned) and this is why he has become especially insufferable in the past couple of years.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Irish Joe posted:

...someone like Adam who bitches everybody out).

Uhhhh, except for he rails on the left way the gently caress more than on the right. He often says, "...and now, I blame the left for this one." I have never once heard him say, "...and now, I blame the right for this one". Never. Not once. I've been listening to him for 20 years. Really the only time he ever blames the right for anything meaningful, he will use it as a point to say how they tried to do something good and it ultimately backfired on them. To say that he bitches about both sides equally is straight up false. The guy is clearly very right leaning and blames basically everything that is wrong with America on the left.

visuvius fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 14, 2015

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

visuvius posted:

The guy is clearly very right leaning and blames basically everything that is wrong with America on the left.

Well he does live in Southern California. You really can't blame him for the pointing the finger for most of the problems in his neck of the woods at the party that has been in charge there for the last 50 years.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

I wish they would stop playing that same AP news update everyday about the Illinois police officer getting shot. It's somebody being lazy, I think.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Lake of Methane posted:

I wish they would stop playing that same AP news update everyday about the Illinois police officer getting shot. It's somebody being lazy, I think.

I usually skip those and go right to the next podcast. Whats the point of news updates on a podcast you may not listen to for a few weeks?

*Opens eyes wide open and looks towards Gina*

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think one of the reasons Loveline was better was that Anderson is actually the perfect producer for him.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Rick posted:

I think one of the reasons Loveline was better was that Anderson is actually the perfect producer for him.

Shut up Anderson would you just push the loving buttons?!

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
I've always been surprised that fans treat Carolla as some genius. He used to be funny in the late 90's, now he's just bitter his comedy partner is making millions while he's talking about the same poo poo everyday.

Also Irish Joe go away i hope your kids die

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
Adam used to rail on the right all the time in the 90s. Gun control, religious fundamentalism, birth control and abortion are the ones I remember. He'd specifically call out "republicans".

I'm not sure if his politics have changed, although they generally do as people age, or he just doesn't talk about those things in the same way he used to. I certainly know his audience isn't the same, and that might also contribute to his descent into FYGM ridiculousness.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

drat NIGGA posted:

I've always been surprised that fans treat Carolla as some genius. He used to be funny in the late 90's, now he's just bitter his comedy partner is making millions while he's talking about the same poo poo everyday.

Also Irish Joe go away i hope your kids die

I have yet to see any evidence of his claimed bitterness towards Jimmy people always talk about. BTW hes a partner in Jackhole Productions (Jimmys production company), so he is probably making money off of Jimmys success.

I hope you get laid some day and have kids so they can die too rear end in a top hat.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Adam definitely has soured on homosexuals and softened on Christians. There was also a loveline episode that came up on the old stream that I've never been able to track down again where he screamed about how much better the US was than Japan in WWII because “we didn't torture our prisoners!!”

He really seems to base his political leanings based on whatever authority he feels most persecuted by currently (when he was only recently not poor and destitute he was more populist; now that his biggest concern is how much money he loses to taxes and that the goddamn MAID didn't plug my iphone charger back in so now I have to use my OTHER IPHONE, he's conservative as gently caress)

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
He endorsed Ted Cruz 4 or 5 months ago. If you guys are gonna have a debate about Adam Carolla's politics, keep that in mind.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Well, I guess we know who Giovanni's gonna vote for too.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Adam's still funny when he wants to be. He's really good on other podcasts. I think he's just gotten cranky as he's gotten older. Seems legitimately depressed and probably has a drinking problem. It's obvious that he is just mailing in the podcasts and doesn't have much passion for it.

One of the problems with his Drew show is the callers suck. It's all superfans who spend 3 minutes fellating Adam followed by a question that fellates him even more (How do I become as successful as you Adam?). Loveline was great because it was endless supply of really stupid callers that they could rag on. It's probably impossible to bring back that magic because young people aren't listening to the podcast. But they need to do better at screening callers.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Niwrad posted:

But they need to do better at screening callers.

Screen ... how? All of the callers are pretty much the same.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Adam defends the CEO who hiked up the price of the AIDS drug Daraprim 5000%.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhocking.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeesh. I bet he mapped it into the dumb-liberals-complaining-about-BIG-PHARMA pattern but that Shkreli model is basically the patent troll model... buy somebody else's asset and play dirtier with it than they were willing to.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
He also defended the refugee kicking Hungarian lady (oval office) Petra Laszlo. Called her a "patriot".

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Finally watched Road Hard last night. Basically the same as The Hammer, just replacing the boxing with stand up. Even takes time to show his love for carpentry. All the jokes were straight from his every day rants about service dogs,etc. Even had DAG doing the Teddy Pendegrass bit.

Everyone's acting was ok besides Carolla's, 5.5/10

edit: the best thing about the movie was larry miller as babydoll.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Niwrad posted:

Adam's still funny when he wants to be. He's really good on other podcasts. I think he's just gotten cranky as he's gotten older. Seems legitimately depressed and probably has a drinking problem. It's obvious that he is just mailing in the podcasts and doesn't have much passion for it.

One of the problems with his Drew show is the callers suck. It's all superfans who spend 3 minutes fellating Adam followed by a question that fellates him even more (How do I become as successful as you Adam?). Loveline was great because it was endless supply of really stupid callers that they could rag on. It's probably impossible to bring back that magic because young people aren't listening to the podcast. But they need to do better at screening callers.

They should pepper the show with sex and relationship questions from dumb teenagers posting to Yahoo Answers. Maybe have guests do pre-recorded dramatic readings of the questions.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Meatwave posted:

They should pepper the show with sex and relationship questions from dumb teenagers posting to Yahoo Answers. Maybe have guests do pre-recorded dramatic readings of the questions.

Adam should get his two brothers to help him answer these questions.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

pangstrom posted:

Yeesh. I bet he mapped it into the dumb-liberals-complaining-about-BIG-PHARMA pattern but that Shkreli model is basically the patent troll model... buy somebody else's asset and play dirtier with it than they were willing to.

I was wondering how long it would take before he came around to defending a patent troll. His internal logic is... unique. There's no problem with this because only insurance companies are getting charged $$$$. Just like how there's no healthcare issues in this country because you can always go to County General to get fixed up for free.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

drat NIGGA posted:

Finally watched Road Hard last night. Basically the same as The Hammer, just replacing the boxing with stand up. Even takes time to show his love for carpentry. All the jokes were straight from his every day rants about service dogs,etc. Even had DAG doing the Teddy Pendegrass bit.

Everyone's acting was ok besides Carolla's, 5.5/10

edit: the best thing about the movie was larry miller as babydoll.

That's kind of a let down. I'm still going to wait to watch it when I get my DVD from the pledge, then I'm gonna send it to him to get signed.

King of Gulps
Sep 4, 2003

rotinaj posted:

He endorsed Ted Cruz 4 or 5 months ago. If you guys are gonna have a debate about Adam Carolla's politics, keep that in mind.

I kind of got the impression that he didn't really know that Ted Cruz was running for president when he interviewed him; it was a lot of "So what do you think, Jeb's looking pretty good right now, am I right?"
edit: is there a KLSX archive somewhere? I thought I saw a link to it once, but lost it

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

rotinaj posted:

So his politics are retardedly infantile? Jesus Christ. Ted Cruz? Really?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

King of Gulps posted:

I kind of got the impression that he didn't really know that Ted Cruz was running for president when he interviewed him; it was a lot of "So what do you think, Jeb's looking pretty good right now, am I right?"
edit: is there a KLSX archive somewhere? I thought I saw a link to it once, but lost it

April 17th on the Adam Carolla Show podcast archive. I just looked it up on my podcast app.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

visuvius posted:

He also defended the refugee kicking Hungarian lady (oval office) Petra Laszlo. Called her a "patriot".

Except it turned out the guy is actually sympathetic to terrorists and had a terrorist group's flag as his facebook profile image. (he claims its an unrelated flag, but that's like posting a black swastika on a red background and saying it just "coincidentally" looks like the nazi flag. He's not fooling anyone) So the woman really is a patriot of sorts. I mean, who wouldn't love to beat the poo poo out of a bunch of ISIS assholes if they got the chance?

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Irish Joe, you're a piece of poo poo.

Wednesday's episode with Billy West was pretty decent except for the whole Jorge Ramos thing. Why is Carolla so loving obsessed with mexicans and blacks? Black people especially, he is either lecturing them or making a joke at their expense. Pretty much every episode there is some kind of black reference. Its weird. Its also super bizarre how oddly bitter he is getting about stuff like white guys in burglary commercials or white moms in PSAs about parenting.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

visuvius posted:

Irish Joe, you're a piece of poo poo.

Wednesday's episode with Billy West was pretty decent except for the whole Jorge Ramos thing. Why is Carolla so loving obsessed with mexicans and blacks? Black people especially, he is either lecturing them or making a joke at their expense. Pretty much every episode there is some kind of black reference. Its weird. Its also super bizarre how oddly bitter he is getting about stuff like white guys in burglary commercials or white moms in PSAs about parenting.

Irish Joe is just stating facts.

The stuff in the commercials is just him railing against PC-ness.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

visuvius posted:

Pretty much every episode there is some kind of black reference. Its weird. Its also super bizarre how oddly bitter he is getting about stuff like white guys in burglary commercials or white moms in PSAs about parenting.

oh i thought it was common knowledge he was obviously racist

edit: oh except for d-a, "one of the good ones"-g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

Except it turned out the guy is actually sympathetic to terrorists and had a terrorist group's flag as his facebook profile image. (he claims its an unrelated flag, but that's like posting a black swastika on a red background and saying it just "coincidentally" looks like the nazi flag. He's not fooling anyone) So the woman really is a patriot of sorts. I mean, who wouldn't love to beat the poo poo out of a bunch of ISIS assholes if they got the chance?

Lol because the woman totally knew all that ahead of time and singled him out for that express reason