Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Ok, if you are in Sweden then just get the Moto G 2015. It basically has the specs (and better) of a two year old high end phone with better future software support.
The 2/16gb version isn't available yet. Is the extra memory worth paying more and waiting another month?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mercrom posted:

The 2/16gb version isn't available yet. Is the extra memory worth paying more and waiting another month?

Yes, without a doubt.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

My Sprint contract ends around Thanksgiving time. It's a sure thing Sprint will have ended their subsidized iPhones w/ a new 2 year contract by then, right?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Country/Provider: USA/AT&T

Current contract status: My contract ends in a week

Budget (phone/plan): Going for an iphone 6s

Features I know I want: unlimited texts

So the plan I currently am on with AT&T is 450 minutes (I never get near that, normally hover around 200 maybe, plus I have a ton of rollover minutes), unlimited texting (I average 150, highest was 300 one month), and unlimited grandfathered data (I average 4200mb, highest was 7100 mb one month).

For data, I think most of that comes from streaming music and also my running and biking apps which use GPS. The biking should drop considerably as I'm going to buy a separate bike computer for that data, but the running and music will continue, so I'm not sure how many GB I would need a month if I changed data plans.

The minutes are a bit overkill. I would like rollover available, but if I have 450 or so, I never see myself going over that.

The texting is nice, but I'm not sure if I need unlimited or not.

Right now, I also get a 15% military discount, so I end up paying about $90/month for that plan...I'm looking for anything cheaper. Any ideas? I'm also vaguely curious to see if the 24next or the new apple plan could potentially be a better deal or not.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Amazon warehouse deals currently has the Alcatel Idol 3 for $212 or the Asus Zenfone 2 16gb for $169.

Which should I get

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Amazon warehouse deals currently has the Alcatel Idol 3 for $212 or the Asus Zenfone 2 16gb for $169.

Which should I get

Neither?

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Cool that helps, thanks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you're going to get a Zenphone 2, pony up for the 64 GB model since it has more RAM. If you can't afford that, get a 16 GB Moto G (NOT an 8 GB).

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Which should I get

The Idol 3 doesn't look like a bad phone, but you'd probably be better served by a 16GB 2015 Moto G unless you really want a >5" phone.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

I actually had a Moto G 2015 for a few days but returned it. I didn't like the bulkiness of it. I currently have an Idol 3 4.7" and love it, but the 4.7 models have a light bleed issue that the 5.5" do not have. But I can't decide if the Idol 3 is worth $50 over the Zenfone 2. And the smaller amount of ram is fine for me, I just text and listen to music mainly.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Just an "FYI" but you can use locked AT&T phones on Cricket without having to SIM unlock them. I'm using one now after my old phone was destroyed in the flood (that also destroyed my home, but I would probably die without internet), and "locked" phones are generally quite a bit cheaper on eBay.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I actually had a Moto G 2015 for a few days but returned it. I didn't like the bulkiness of it. I currently have an Idol 3 4.7" and love it, but the 4.7 models have a light bleed issue that the 5.5" do not have. But I can't decide if the Idol 3 is worth $50 over the Zenfone 2. And the smaller amount of ram is fine for me, I just text and listen to music mainly.

It's not about the RAM, it's about the local storage. 8GB is painful. If those are the phones you're looking at, I'd definitely spend the extra $50. The base Zenfone 2 isn't a great phone, the 4GB/64GB one is at least a powerhouse and has slick quick-charging.

Comrade Milton
Jul 16, 2005
Country/Provider: US/Straight Talk

Current contract status: No contract

Budget (phone/plan): $200-300 for unlocked phone

Features I know I want: Standard stuff. Prefer Android and if it's available from Amazon.com as a seller so much the better. I don't know which networks take which size SIM cards and a Moto G I was interested in says it won't work on Straight Talk, which I'm pretty sure is ludicrous, but I didn't buy it in case.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Comrade Milton posted:

Country/Provider: US/Straight Talk

Current contract status: No contract

Budget (phone/plan): $200-300 for unlocked phone

Features I know I want: Standard stuff. Prefer Android and if it's available from Amazon.com as a seller so much the better. I don't know which networks take which size SIM cards and a Moto G I was interested in says it won't work on Straight Talk, which I'm pretty sure is ludicrous, but I didn't buy it in case.

16GB Moto G 2015 is what you want (NOT the 8GB, it has less RAM). I don't see it on Amazon though, only the dual-SIM version.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
Okay I am in need of some expert-goon opinions please.

I currently have 3 phones under T-mobile in USA, and one of the phones (HTC G2) is a phone that my dad uses and he doesn't use the phone for anything besides calling. I currently have the unlimited data plan from Tmobile, but I am basically wasting money on the 3rd line. (Apparently even adding a voice only line is $40+/mo, according to the Tmobile reps that I have spoken to).

So, what is the the best way of dealing with this third line (voice only)? I am okay with keeping the 2 line for $100/mo for unlimited data under tmobile. But that third line is way too much money under tmobile.

Thanks in advance!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

lethial posted:

Okay I am in need of some expert-goon opinions please.

I currently have 3 phones under T-mobile in USA, and one of the phones (HTC G2) is a phone that my dad uses and he doesn't use the phone for anything besides calling. I currently have the unlimited data plan from Tmobile, but I am basically wasting money on the 3rd line. (Apparently even adding a voice only line is $40+/mo, according to the Tmobile reps that I have spoken to).

So, what is the the best way of dealing with this third line (voice only)? I am okay with keeping the 2 line for $100/mo for unlimited data under tmobile. But that third line is way too much money under tmobile.

Thanks in advance!

Honestly, I would consult the T-Mobile thread, the OP there has been with T-Mobile for a long time and can give you a better answer.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
So what's the closest thing to an "unlimited" data plan available in the NYC area right now? Carrier doesn't matter. Throttling past x gigabytes is acceptable (depending on the value of X) but overage charges are totally not cool.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DoctorWhat posted:

So what's the closest thing to an "unlimited" data plan available in the NYC area right now? Carrier doesn't matter. Throttling past x gigabytes is acceptable (depending on the value of X) but overage charges are totally not cool.

TMobile is probably the best for amount of data and speed in NYC, but they don't have the coverage of Verizon or ATT. I would bet the coverage maps for NYC for all carriers are not accurate, so maybe there is a NYC goon that can provide a better idea.

To restate: TMobile has unlimited data for $80 a month, and probably have decent coverage in NYC, but you may want to research that just in case. For that price, Verizon offers 6GB of data and ATT offers around 5-6GB.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
So the "10GB" plan T-Mobile offers - past the 10GB, it's just throttled, right? No overage if you go over? How much does that cost? And is there some sort of music-streaming accommodation? I thought I heard something like that.

Before even thinking about phone choice, I need to get two lines with unlimited voice and text and with no overage charges for data, and with enough usable data at sufficient speeds for comfortable Awful App browsing and Twitter checking and suchlike on my device and for the other party to be able to reliably check their email and manage spreadsheets and other business-grade stuff. Neither of us plan to do much video or audio streaming over cellular.

Selane
May 19, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

I'd definitely go with T-Mobile. I don't technically live in NYC, but where I do live(about 2 minutes outside of Queens in Nassau) they actually have better speed/coverage than AT&T and Verizon, both of which I tried out within the last year or so. Also they have a more or less unlimited plan(21 gigs then "deprioritizing", which is probably still not bad). And they don't bill for overages, like you said.

quote:

So the "10GB" plan T-Mobile offers - past the 10GB, it's just throttled, right? No overage if you go over? How much does that cost? And is there some sort of music-streaming accommodation? I thought I heard something like that.

Yes, you will absolutely never get overage charges from T-Mobile. However, when they say throttled, they mean HARD. Like, you might be able to check emails and poo poo, but don't expect to do much beyond that at that point.

And yeah, music streaming doesn't count towards your data usage, simple as that. They also have data rollover and poo poo so it shouldn't really be a problem.

Selane fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 12, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

Before even thinking about phone choice, I need to get two lines with unlimited voice and text and with no overage charges for data,

For T-Mobile this is simple, it's $100/m for two lines with unlimited high speed data. No throttling and tethering included, just unlimited everything.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I am looking to find two plans, one for just me, the other for the rest of my family. We were on a family plan with Sprint but that contract is past. I want a separate plan because my data needs are different than theirs. This is for the United States (Mass).

I want an iPhone 6, 64GB, with an unlimited data plan. What is the best carrier for this situation, and what is the best way to purchase it? I could swing the pay in full option listed on apple.com if that's a better deal. Is it better to grab one in a store or online? I'm more worried that there's some obvious detail that I'm missing.

The plan for the other four is a bit more complicated. They do not want unlimited data, only one person is likely to use a lot of data anyway. The stated budget limit is "less than I pay now," so less than $175 a month, but less is better. One person already has an iphone and wants to keep that phone. One person occasionally has numbness in hands/arthritis which might make some phones hard to use, but I don't know how to find phones that suit that situation. I suspect the other two will want to pick their own phones. I believe they also don't have a strong preference on carrier.

e: The person with the iphone claims if they switch away from Sprint the iphone won't work with the new plan.

Serenade fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 14, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I can't help you with the family plan (other than to say that finding a plan for four people for less than $175 might be difficult ESPECIALLY if they are planning on keeping a Sprint iPhone in the mix), but for your personal stuff, T-Mobile and Sprint are the only carriers offering truly unlimited data, and you're probably better off with the former for a variety of reasons. You can either get in a payment plan with T-Mobile or you can buy unlocked from Apple. There's no real benefit to either buying online or from a store. It'll be the same exact thing either way.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Serenade posted:

I am looking to find two plans, one for just me, the other for the rest of my family. We were on a family plan with Sprint but that contract is past. I want a separate plan because my data needs are different than theirs. This is for the United States (Mass).

I want an iPhone 6, 64GB, with an unlimited data plan. What is the best carrier for this situation, and what is the best way to purchase it? I could swing the pay in full option listed on apple.com if that's a better deal. Is it better to grab one in a store or online? I'm more worried that there's some obvious detail that I'm missing.

The plan for the other four is a bit more complicated. They do not want unlimited data, only one person is likely to use a lot of data anyway. The stated budget limit is "less than I pay now," so less than $175 a month, but less is better. One person already has an iphone and wants to keep that phone. One person occasionally has numbness in hands/arthritis which might make some phones hard to use, but I don't know how to find phones that suit that situation. I suspect the other two will want to pick their own phones. I believe they also don't have a strong preference on carrier.

e: The person with the iphone claims if they switch away from Sprint the iphone won't work with the new plan.

Yeah, you should look at TMobile, they offer plans where person one gets unlimited, person two gets 1GB, etc.

The Sprint phone will work on TMobile if it is unlocked. If it is on a lease or installment plan with sprint, then they won't unlock it until its agreement is over. I would look more into it to have more of an answer than anecdotal "it won't work" just so you know exactly what you are looking at. TMobile will buy out a contract too.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Where is MA are you? How much do you travel? I have used Verizon/T-mo/att (cricket) in MA.

T-mo is fine if you never leave high population areas. (Poor coverage for my needs)

Get Verizon if you need coverage everywhere.

I use cricket now which has like 90% coverage everywhere in MA from Boston-Berkshires and the only places I've had issues with service is some areas on highways with nothing else around.

On cricket, if you were willing to get phones all up front, would be a cheap option
with their group plan and data is set per phone number.

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 14, 2015

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

My fiance's iPhone 5s is having some charging issues and she wants to replace it with an android. What would go well for att/cricket, max budget $200.

She has used my nexus 5 and seems to like it. I was thinking moto x or g/e for lower budget option.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Stretch your budget by $20 and get the 16 GB 2015 Moto G. Have you tried clearing out the lightning port with a toothpick?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Massasoit posted:

My fiance's iPhone 5s is having some charging issues and she wants to replace it with an android. What would go well for att/cricket, max budget $200.

She has used my nexus 5 and seems to like it. I was thinking moto x or g/e for lower budget option.

Are you including selling the iPhone in your budget? It looks like 5ses go for $250-350 in good shape, so maybe $200 for one with issues?

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Duckman2008 posted:

The Sprint phone will work on TMobile if it is unlocked. If it is on a lease or installment plan with sprint, then they won't unlock it until its agreement is over. I would look more into it to have more of an answer than anecdotal "it won't work" just so you know exactly what you are looking at. TMobile will buy out a contract too.

This was good advice, I checked it out further and it can be transferred to the new plan. I just have to take it in when making the switch.

Massasoit posted:

Where is MA are you? How much do you travel? I have used Verizon/T-mo/att (cricket) in MA.

T-mo is fine if you never leave high population areas. (Poor coverage for my needs)

Get Verizon if you need coverage everywhere.

I use cricket now which has like 90% coverage everywhere in MA from Boston-Berkshires and the only places I've had issues with service is some areas on highways with nothing else around.

On cricket, if you were willing to get phones all up front, would be a cheap option
with their group plan and data is set per phone number.
I stay mostly between Woburn and Boston, with some occasional travel around the greater Boston area with some out of state travel to other major cities (Orlando, Atlanta, ect).

I forgot about Cricket and I am willing to pay all up front.

Billy Bob FORTRAN
Nov 4, 2007

*THIS IS*
*HOW A*
*SOLDIER*
*~LIVES~*

:qqsay:
My iPhone 4 just died after 5 caseless, hardtrod years. I have no idea what to expect from a phone in this market, and am fully willing to change my $25 AT&T gophone plan to something actually worth a drat.

-Speed is a plus
-I like nice cameras and recording features
-Don't give a poo poo if it's Android or Apple
-Budget $250ish please help (I could be convinced to spend more)

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Billy Bob FORTRAN posted:

My iPhone 4 just died after 5 caseless, hardtrod years. I have no idea what to expect from a phone in this market, and am fully willing to change my $25 AT&T gophone plan to something actually worth a drat.

-Speed is a plus
-I like nice cameras and recording features
-Don't give a poo poo if it's Android or Apple
-Budget $250ish please help (I could be convinced to spend more)

For $260ish you're unlikely to find anything with a nice camera unless you buy on contract or finance, if you go that route then pick whichever one you like best between the latest iPhone and Galaxy models. If you're buying outright there's the 16gb Moto G around $220 or for roughly $150 more the Moto X. Their cameras are nothing spectacular but otherwise very good bang for the buck.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I just saw that Sony has released their Xperia Z5 compact and it got me interested in upgrading from my current Z1 Compact, which I've been relly happy with. Does anyone here have any experience with the Z5 Compact yet and if so, is it worth upgrading to froma Z1?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I'm currently running a HTC One M8.
I ended up dropping it one too many times and the screen doesn't react properly anymore. I lost about an inch of the screen at the top and its behaving erratically everywhere else.

I'm now debating if I want to go iPhone or stick with an android. I don't really do much to my phone and just want a durable long lasting phone I can browse the net on and listen to music from at high quality.

Right now my list consists of the Xperia X5 , one plus two and the iPhone 6S.

The price of the iPhone is difficult to justify though.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

I ended up dropping it one too many times and the screen doesn't react properly anymore. I lost about an inch of the screen at the top and its behaving erratically everywhere else.

I'm now debating if I want to go iPhone or stick with an android. I don't really do much to my phone and just want a durable long lasting phone I can browse the net on and listen to music from at high quality.

the terribleness of the oneplus two should be even more difficult to justify

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

Buy a 2015 Moto E for $99 on Amazon, it's got LTE, the latest android OS, and is way more durable than anything you've named. When you do destroy it, it was only $99.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

Buy a 2015 Moto E for $99 on Amazon, it's got LTE, the latest android OS, and is way more durable than anything you've named. When you do destroy it, it was only $99.

Really the 16/4GB Moto G is a much better option at twice the price if price is a primary concern but it sounds like he'd prefer to have a flagship.

Get the iPhone 6S.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
I have a question about porting carriers so I figured maybe it fits here. I have an HTC One M7 that is out of contract with CREDO Mobile, a MVNO that runs on Sprint. My family decided they wanted to try out T-Mobile because they wanted GSM phones.

To my knowledge, the HTC One M7 is a dual CDMA/GSM world phone so I figured I could get it carrier unlocked and use it with a T-Mobile SIM. I researched around a bit and found that others online who had done the same said that voice/text connects fine but I wouldn't be able to get 4G mobile data, which I thought was acceptable

Now I'm in a pickle where CREDO/Sprint claims the phone is unlocked but the device won't recognize the T-Mobile SIM and I can't connect to a GSM network (I get a "Invalid Card - Please contact customer care" notice). T-Mobile says the SIM is activated on their end and that it's a device/unlock issue. CREDO/Sprint claim it's as unlocked as it gets and they can't/won't do anything more. They also provided me with an MSL code when I asked for the unlock but neither I nor the T-Mobile reps know what to do with it. Any ideas?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Throw it in the garbage and get a Moto G or something that will actually get data. Without data you may as well be on a dumb phone.

Billy Bob FORTRAN
Nov 4, 2007

*THIS IS*
*HOW A*
*SOLDIER*
*~LIVES~*

:qqsay:
16gb Moto G has been ordered. This blue/lemone color combo better be goddamn worth the week I'm going to spend without a phone. Why doesn't Motorola offer faster shipping? gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Endless Mike posted:

Throw it in the garbage and get a Moto G or something that will actually get data. Without data you may as well be on a dumb phone.

I've got a oneplus2 on the way but I'd like keep using my phone in the meantime and then pass on the HTC one to my mom, who will barely use the data anyway and has never had a smartphone so won't care about 3G. Can someone give me some insight on what might be going on with the phone, the unlock, or the MSL code?