Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nien
Apr 29, 2013
Hideo Kajima and a lawyer for the agents for [eighties band] are on the telephone.

Hideo Kajima: I want to licence [eighties song] for my big video game. I can only have eighties songs that retain cred in 2015 but must also have a level of awareness among a broader audience.

Lawyer: Sure, we charge $250,000 for inclusion in a video game.

HK: How can I be guaranteed of quality for such a small amount of money?

L: You've heard the song?

HK: Yes, but this seems cheap.

L: I don't really understand, I told you the price?

HK: No, but I am trying to spend the money of a pachinko company. Will you work with me?

L: Sure, 1 million dollars.

HK: Higher!

I actually think the quoted figure of $80m seems cheap compared to reports on other games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
If anything, there weren't nearly enough tapes in TPP. Peace Walker had a billion tapes, and all of them gave some insight into the characters, setting, themes, whatever.

TPP tapes are nearly all exposition, and pretty dry at that. The only ones that captured the brilliance of Peace Walker were the hamburger tapes.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Vengarr posted:

If anything, there weren't nearly enough tapes in TPP. Peace Walker had a billion tapes, and all of them gave some insight into the characters, setting, themes, whatever.

TPP tapes are nearly all exposition, and pretty dry at that. The only ones that captured the brilliance of Peace Walker were the hamburger tapes.

No he's real! They track him at NORAD every year!

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I'm surprised that so many people actually enjoyed listening to the tapes. And I'm a dork who loves all manners of podcasts and commentaries and poo poo. I was expecting to love em but yeah, compared to PW they're really lacking.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think one thing about the tapes that makes them maybe less effective is that they aren't conversations most of the time, they're just "Ocelot or Miller read off a fact sheet about something, presumably to Big Boss, who either is not present or does not speak a single time". Even in the tapes in Peace Walker, Big Boss actually participated in the discussion if he was present for it.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I would feel a lot better about the tapes as a format if the game allowed me to play while listening to them. But more often than not, I have to settle for doing literal busywork like picking plants or just sitting still and listening so that Kaz doesn't chime in over the radio and mute the audio of what I'm listening to for 20+ seconds at random intervals.

"You see, here are my exact motivations for this hugely important decision that I made for no discernible reason in the last cutscene and I will tell them to you n-"
"SNAKE, THAT'S AN ENEMY GUNSHIP. ONE BURST FROM ITS MACHINE GUN CAN TEAR A MAN IN HALF. TREAD CAREFULLY, BOSS."

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah, if they patched in an auto pause / resume function whenever someone chipped in over the radio, it would basically be perfect. I still like it better than codecs, though, because having to rewind a tape every once a while is preferable to literally not playing the game for 20 minutes.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The enemy sniper.......

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I just wish there were more of em.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Dandywalken posted:

The enemy sniper.......

Stay low and crawl along the ground. That should help you sneak past enemies.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I like when some guys lecture Big Boss on CQC, a discipline he learned directly from the woman who invented it before either of them had ever heard of it.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Was I the only one who didn't realize that the Man on Fire even had a corporeal form? I thought he was a manifestation of Mantis' psychic powers right up until the end.

What was the deal with his final scene, the one where you go to recover his body? Was that in any way explicable? Mantis is busy dicking around Mother Base at that point, he doesn't have time to be animating Volgin anymore.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Sep 15, 2015

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Nakar posted:

I like when some guys lecture Big Boss on CQC, a discipline he learned directly from the woman who invented it before either of them had ever heard of it.

He actually helped her develop it, so it's even funnier.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I just realized no one pees in this game.

NOT MY METAL GEAR

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Vengarr posted:

Was I the only one who didn't realize that the Man on Fire even had a corporal form? I thought he was a manifestation of Mantis' psychic powers right up until the end.

What was the deal with his final scene, the one where you go to recover his body? Was that in any way explicable? Mantis is busy dicking around Mother Base at that point, he doesn't have time to be animating Volgin anymore.
His form was corporeal but he was brain-dead without Mantis animating him. Or not? I'm not sure what to make of that scene beyond "lol hallucination." I think the overarching idea of the scene is Volgin basically losing his lust for revenge and thus, as Ocelot explains in the tapes, the only reason that his body is still alive after the death of his mind. So he tries to gin up the rage for one final battle but something happens, his powers disperse, his Man On Fire appearance fades away, and he's briefly Volgin again and then I guess truly dies.

One possibility is that the Man On Fire somehow finally realizes Venom isn't Big Boss (how?) and, realizing he's been fooled, can no longer muster the rage he needs to remain animated because the guy he's been single-mindedly pursuing isn't the Naked Snake who defeated him and he'll never find that guy because he was duped by the body double. So he gives up his vengeance and dies or perhaps just goes inert again.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

randombattle posted:

NOT MY METAL GEAR

Ishmael kinda does in the intro! I actually like that they did that, Kojima games rarely contain direct wink-and-nods to their own running gags.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Huey pisses himself in his first scene.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
DD will piss while waiting for the chopper.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

randombattle posted:

NOT MY METAL GEAR

D.D. pees every once in a while. And, no, you can't wear the cardboard box to keep the smell on you to deter predators. I was disappointed.

As for a couple of story beats:

1) Next MGS game will be the training of the two Sons. Kojima hinted as much during an interview, where he stated that he 'has up until 1995' to cover the story, and it would be an interesting tale. Not sure how Big Boss is ever going to go back to working for the CIA or FOXHOUND at this point, since it's canon that he trains Solid Snake alongside Miller before N313. It also has to cover BB during Desert Storm, where he meets Sniper Wolf.

2) I'm expecting a DLC ending to come up that covers the lost 'Island of the Flies' mission that explains what happened to Eli, Third Child and Sahelanthropus. They have about 30% of it done at release, and it was leaked onto Youtube, so I could see them trying to wring out that bit of money.

3) Quiet is Dead.

4) The Soldiers are made aware of the deception, yet still stick by Venom Snake. I think this goes back into what was said at the ending, where "I am Big Boss, and so can you" really fits. Big Boss isn't a person anymore, he's an ideal. A goal. And that brain-damaged doctor did it. If you go around Mother Base, often you'll hear one of them say "Big Boss...even if you're not the real Big Boss, we're still behind you!"

5) Huey is a colossal dick that got what he deserved.

6) Strangelove got stuffed into a fridge A.I. pod and still had more of an effect on the future than Huey did. Suck it, paraplegic rear end in a top hat.

7) The ending to Paz' story was easy to see coming, but it still hit me hard. Say Peace.

Also, Kojima has left Konami. Who knows what will happen to the series now? I hope he can get the rights to Snatcher and Policenauts for cheap, though.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

There's a ton of things they could make games out of, but I doubt any of them are going to happen.

Off the top of my head:

The Boss WW2 game everyone always wants.
Solid Snake as a Green Beret in Desert Storm.
Solidus tearing poo poo up in Liberia.
Gray Fox doing literally anything, people will buy it whatever

The chances of ever getting another MGS are basically nil, and even if they sell off the IP / Engine, it's totally possible that Kojima just doesn't want to make anymore. They could probably farm it out to some other developer on a once-a-year schedule like every other AAA franchise, but given Konami's habit of handing stuff off to totally inept teams (their ports / remasters, at least) I wouldn't hold my breath for it being anything remotely approaching a good MGS game.

if i got to pitch an mgs game for some reason it would be about an obsessive fan of the metal gear solid video games in 2020 who has an encyclopedic knowledge of the lore and studied sneaking and espionage since he was a child to try and emulate his heroes. he wouldnt understand the stories and would just have the surface level understanding that big boss is the greatest soldier in history, solid snake is also the greatest but a good guy, and raiden is the greatest but a cyborg ninja murderer for justice. hed be convinced of a conspiracy that kojima was hiding clues in the video games to hint at a real world behind the scenes takeover of the world's governments by a shadowy organization, and engage in a personal terrorist sneaking mission to bring down the united states media-industrial complex in an effort to reveal the truth. he would be totally wrong about everything and an idiot and would be quickly noticed and used as a patsy for an actual conspiracy unrelated to his mgs fantasy, forced to go on the run, which would cement his beliefs that he was definitely totally correct and he'd double down, crowdsourcing funding and support on the deep web to plan for a large scale false flag operation to sacrifice himself and betray his country, making them look like villainous puppetmasters in the eyes of the world. he would end up failing and dying, accomplishing none of his goals and being painted by the media as a lone nut terrorist psycho, but in the ending you'd see a montage of people posting on the internet about him and saying how he was an inspiration and a real hero

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
i threw that off the top of my head just now, i want to clarify. it would be weird if i had mgs fanfic just primed and ready to go that i've been holding on to

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So, your fantasy MGS is just Assassin's Creed, then?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

CJacobs posted:

So, your fantasy for MGS is just Assassin's Creed, then?

Doesn't have enough flag or feather collection to be Assassin's Creed.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
the gameplay would be like a macgyver game but with stealth. you'd be improvising equipment and tools on the scene or prepping with an extremely low budget to infiltrate highly equipped high tech sites. hairspray flamethrower cameo obv. hire me konami

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

CJacobs posted:

So, your fantasy MGS is just Assassin's Creed, then?

assassin's creed is many times more retarded than what i just wrote. it'd be much more low key and realistic in scope and not like "jesus was an assassin who used an apple of eden to do miracles and also everyone in history was a templar or an assassin and also you're in the space future vr world" etc

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Nien posted:

I actually think the quoted figure of $80m seems cheap compared to reports on other games.

It is. Bioshock Infinite cost 100 mil. GTA4 cost 100 mil. gta v cost 265 mil. final fantasy 7 cost 145 million when it came out. red dead redemption cost 100 mil+. the 2013 deadpool video game cost 100 mil+, star wars mmo cost 200+ million and probably a hell of a lot more than that

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

My favourite game budget thing is that Dragon's Crown cost $1,000,000 and it was Vanillaware's most expensive game by a margin at the time.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Nakar posted:

His form was corporeal but he was brain-dead without Mantis animating him. Or not? I'm not sure what to make of that scene beyond "lol hallucination." I think the overarching idea of the scene is Volgin basically losing his lust for revenge and thus, as Ocelot explains in the tapes, the only reason that his body is still alive after the death of his mind. So he tries to gin up the rage for one final battle but something happens, his powers disperse, his Man On Fire appearance fades away, and he's briefly Volgin again and then I guess truly dies.

One possibility is that the Man On Fire somehow finally realizes Venom isn't Big Boss (how?) and, realizing he's been fooled, can no longer muster the rage he needs to remain animated because the guy he's been single-mindedly pursuing isn't the Naked Snake who defeated him and he'll never find that guy because he was duped by the body double. So he gives up his vengeance and dies or perhaps just goes inert again.

The flashes to hospital V are more like Volgin seeing how loving broken and shattered big boss has become, and deciding that rather than descend down that same road he's going to let it go.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

quoting this because:

1. good art
2. good fan epilogue to venom

I really would have liked to see more concrete actions from Venom regarding how he actually felt upon learning all of this crap. He smirks and then crushes a mirror, welp. that can be taken so many ways. Parts of Venom are interesting, but they couldn't seem to decide whether to make him a pure avatar of the player or to give him an actual character since he's supposed to be a stand-in for "Big Boss." It doesn't really work both ways for me when this series shines because of its characters. Because of it, Venom is mostly mute and just says things when he has to put up the Big Boss facade to the players. His character, until the end scene, ends up being the living representation of what people consider to be the legend of Big Boss, minus the fun things that made Naked Snake so quirky and fun. I think that it would have been a lot better to actually have a canon model for the Medic and base his development from that, and I know that that's exactly what Kojima didn't want to do, but... I guess, I just don't feel like it worked? Like, you can't have a character and have a non-character at the same time. I can't express my feelings very well about Venom because while I like the idea behind him, there are many underlying issues that pull me out of accepting how he was presented.

I suppose that's the issue most people have with the entire plot though, so...
It's completely unsatisfying, and people can argue that that's what the idea of a "phantom pain" is all about, but it doesn't make things any less bullshit. I'm so confused and tired now. :psyduck:

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
In terms of audio cassettes replacing codec conversations. That's not the total story of what happened in this game. The cassettes were actually good for taking away the poorly written overwrought psuedo-science explanations the series loves, and not forcing them on the player before and after cut scenes like previous games. The issue is that they also replaced the cut scenes that had become the staple of the series.

All of the other games had a lot of cutscenes featuring characters interacting and talking, as well as scenes of the characters doing awesome over the top action movie stuff. MGSV had almost none of this outside the prologue. Important conversations that could have been in cut scenes were relegated to audio cassettes, leaving the small few cut scenes that were in the game feeling disjointed and weird. For example a lot of Skullface's motives, and almost everything with Eli was just on audio cassettes. There were also no cool action sequences that have come to define the series.

When you take what used to be focused linear game series with lots of cutscenes, and then turn it into an open world game where most of the missions seem unimportant and all the information is delivered to you via audio only, it ends up making it a very disjointed experience. This was made worse by the fact that Act II was literally unfinished in parts. On top of that it did not help that Ocelot and Miller were poorly written and poorly acted.

The Grimace posted:

I suppose that's the issue most people have with the entire plot though, so...
It's completely unsatisfying, and people can argue that that's what the idea of a "phantom pain" is all about, but it doesn't make things any less bullshit. I'm so confused and tired now. :psyduck:

Purposefully unsatisfying is a very tough thing to actual pull off, and most of the time people who use that line of thinking are just using it to defend poor design decisions in a product they like. Given that we know tons of content had to be cut from this game, and there is evidence all over the place of unfinished parts, I'm gonna with that was not the intended goal for this game.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
Dit is waarlik onaangenaam om mense van my eie taal te dood. Ek dink Kojima het nie mooi gedink nie, hy maak die Afrikaner volk kwaad, ek dink hy moet skaam kry vir homself, ek sal maar net in Afghanistan speel.

Hoekom die poes is Afrikaners altyd die bad guys, dis hosed up, ons is nie almal n klomp konte nie, ten minstuns %30 van ons is nice.

Fok jou Kojima, poes cool game though.

10/10

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

bluegoon posted:

Dit is waarlik onaangenaam om mense van my eie taal te dood. Ek dink Kojima het nie mooi gedink nie, hy maak die Afrikaner volk kwaad, ek dink hy moet skaam kry vir homself, ek sal maar net in Afghanistan speel.

Hoekom die poes is Afrikaners altyd die bad guys, dis hosed up, ons is nie almal n klomp konte nie, ten minstuns %30 van ons is nice.

10/10

Someone extract a translator

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Afrikaans is such a weird loving language.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

bluegoon posted:

10/10

I don't have an exact translation, but from my limited experience with Afrikaners on the internet, I'm going to assume this is a racist tirade comparing Nelson Mandela to bin Laden.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

It's very unpleasant to kill people who speak the same language as I do. Kojima didn't think that he'd make Afrikaners angry but he should be ashamed of his words and deeds. I'll just play in Afghanistan.

Why the gently caress are Afrikaners always the bad guys? We aren't all cunts, at least 30% of us are nice.

gently caress you Kojima, nice game though.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Spoilers this game is better than all of us

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

It's very unpleasant to kill people who speak the same language as I do. Kojima didn't think that he'd make Afrikaners angry but he should be ashamed of his words and deeds. I'll just play in Afghanistan.

Why the gently caress are Afrikaners always the bad guys? We aren't all cunts, at least 30% of us are nice.

gently caress you Kojima, nice game though.

Isn't the whole message of TPP that languages are also tools of war, to be used to oppress and cleanse away the identity of your enemies? Afrikaans was just a tool for that to happen, just like Russian and English. All used by Cipher to further their goals of removing all borders.

So, basically, Afrikaners being bad guys is Cipher's fault, with some apartheid thrown in.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I am English like Zero who is the biggest evil in the MGS universe and I am very upset too please be ashamed of your words and deeds Kojima and also Ian Fleming for making Bond, you should be ashamed too.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Why are British people always evil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
KEEP IN MIND THAT TIME DOESN'T STOP WHILE YOU USE THE IDROID

• Locked thread