Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Bosushi! posted:

Sirlin's point is that you should use whatever is allowed in the games in order to win. A scrub is someone who imposes artificial handicaps on themselves and blames their losses on other people's mode of play, rather than their own suboptimal play. Playing to Win has nothing to do with regards to actually changing rules for tournament play. In the book he wrote, he even goes into detail with regards to character bannings, like the aforementioned ST Akuma and Old Sagat, so he's not above changing rules for a more healthy competetive environment.

Yeah, I'm probably misrepresenting him here. Point taken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

sonatinas posted:

must be uncomfortable if everyone in the game didn't attend college

Pack the game up, nobody's earned the right to play it.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Indolent Bastard posted:

I just use a thing like this

I like that. We use one of these but you can't seem to get them any more. I want about 3 more for gifts for friends.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Rutibex posted:

No I got the point, and I don't think having such situations in a game (that might require a house rule or two to play competitively) is necessarily a bad thing. Take Akuma in Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, no one plays with him at a tournament because that would be grossly unfair, so the game requires a "house rule" to play competitively, otherwise everyone would be forced to play as Akuma. Akuma is bad rear end though and fun to play as, so for casual play its good that they included him.

ST Akuma is literally the only character banned from tournament play in every single Street Fighter arcade game. He's only banned because he breaks the game's physics and forces the opponent to be unable to play (the game engine doesn't know how to handle air fireballs). If you use him as an example, you're deliberately going out of your way to find the one case from 20 years ago which was so extreme as to outright prevent opponents from playing. Akuma is a textbook example of the exception that proves the rule, and using him in pro-ban arguments is counter-intuitive at best and outright disingenuous at worst.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Trastion posted:

I like that. We use one of these but you can't seem to get them any more. I want about 3 more for gifts for friends.

I just ask who wants to be first and the first person to say they want it goes first.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Broken Loose posted:

ST Akuma is literally the only character banned from tournament play in every single Street Fighter arcade game. He's only banned because he breaks the game's physics and forces the opponent to be unable to play (the game engine doesn't know how to handle air fireballs). If you use him as an example, you're deliberately going out of your way to find the one case from 20 years ago which was so extreme as to outright prevent opponents from playing. Akuma is a textbook example of the exception that proves the rule, and using him in pro-ban arguments is counter-intuitive at best and outright disingenuous at worst.

To add to this, Sirlin actually tried to balance Akuma in HD Remix to be tournament viable but didn't realize how fundamentally broken he was until someone showed him after the game's release.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Dirk the Average posted:

I just ask who wants to be first and the first person to say they want it goes first.

In the group I'm in, usually someone numbers the players and asks someone at another table to pick a random number.

A few times gaming with my friends we used an app a friend has where everyone puts their finger on a phone and then one person randomly becomes first player off that. That's fun a few times for the novelty of it at least.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Roll the dice or draw the high card. In Dixit, the high card is the trippiest one :catdrugs:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Weirdly I think all the games I play regularly have rules for who goes first (USSR, Corporation, Japan, whoever comes up first on the event) except Dominion which has whoever lost the last game go first.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I will admit that it's a minor pet peeve of mine when games try to get cute with who goes first (like Argent). The way I've come up with for that game in particular is "everyone draws a face-down Bell Tower card, whoever gets the Initiative card goes first" if only because I don't feel like fishing for a die to roll.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Just make the gimmick into a whole game: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/38318/start-player

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Tournament Twilight Struggle has you showing the opponent the card you're holding between the turns and I shudder at the very thought of that.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I think it's just the bottom so they can verify it's not a scoring card, not the whole card.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
How is Dice City? Are there any glaring issues with it other than the luck element (one dominant strategy, etc.)?

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Aston posted:

I think it's just the bottom so they can verify it's not a scoring card, not the whole card.

Pretty sure this is right. Just need to make sure it's not a scoring card frame.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

Mega64 posted:

In the group I'm in, usually someone numbers the players and asks someone at another table to pick a random number.

A few times gaming with my friends we used an app a friend has where everyone puts their finger on a phone and then one person randomly becomes first player off that. That's fun a few times for the novelty of it at least.

Chwazi. We almost always use it to pick the start player or teams at my weekly meetup.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tendadigital.chwaziApp

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Radioactive Toy posted:

Chwazi. We almost always use it to pick the start player or teams at my weekly meetup.

This looks really cool. Thanks for the link, should be useful.

fenrif
Jan 12, 2010
Went to the local board game club tonight. Brought a copy of Codenames which I'd not played before because of the rave reviews. Didn't get to play it beacuse no one seemed sold on it. Instead we played Avalon. Why do people like avalon? Avalon sucks dick. Getting the good minion role is the pinnacle of boredom. There were about 8 of us playing, with four of us having never played. The four veteran players just quarterbacked the whole game because they had it completely figured out. To the point that when one of the other newbies accidentally put in a fail card on a mission the other guys just refused to acknowledge it because they (completely rightly) where 100% sure that someone had made a mistake. gently caress that game.

Also got game sof Lords of Waterdeep and Samurai in, which were pretty fun. I'd never played Waterdeep before so I ended up trying to just grab as many victory points as I could and only did like 3 quests. They were all 20+ point rewards though so I came in second. I kind of feel like we missed a trick though because instead of calling the workers by their roles and saying stuff like "im going to send my 4 warriors and a thief to fight hte beholder" we played it as euro as possible. "I'm using 4 oranges and a black to do this quest."

I was surprised how much fun Shogun was considering how old it is and how simple it is. I ended up losing miserably because I severly over-estimated how much of the buddhas I had and didn't even end up scoring.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

fenrif posted:

Went to the local board game club tonight. Brought a copy of Codenames which I'd not played before because of the rave reviews. Didn't get to play it beacuse no one seemed sold on it. Instead we played Avalon. Why do people like avalon? Avalon sucks dick. Getting the good minion role is the pinnacle of boredom. There were about 8 of us playing, with four of us having never played. The four veteran players just quarterbacked the whole game because they had it completely figured out. To the point that when one of the other newbies accidentally put in a fail card on a mission the other guys just refused to acknowledge it because they (completely rightly) where 100% sure that someone had made a mistake. gently caress that game.

Wow, that sucks. But yeah, that's a very atypical Avalon experience. Also, and Broken Loose can certainly elaborate better on this than I can, the good minion is THE BEST ROLE.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Chwazi is awesome. It always picks me. That's why it's awesome. If you play board games a lot, it's worth it. Doesn't take a lot of space, and it's free to boot. I recommend getting a cheap android tablet and putting all your rules on Dropbox so you can have a few copies going around the table. Also Chwazi.

Shogun is also amazing, and a game more people need to play. Cool action selection, area selection, order of actions. And the cube tower? gently caress that's a great game.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I got an interesting reply to my article, was wondering what people thought of this part in particular:

Dan Felder posted:

You’re missing the point, and the solution is hidden in your Duels of the Planeswalkers analysis. In my time at Fantasy Flight Games, I can assure you that board game designers WANT the ability to lock content. The fact that they can’t forces them to simplify aspects of the game they’d rather not, or else lower the overall accessibility of the game. Trying to learn Netrunner or Battlestar Galactica is a monster. It’s well worth it in the end, but it’s hideously intimidating.

This is why Duels of the Planeswalkers’ designers leaped onto the opportunity to lock the more complicated stuff at first, even though they’re normally making a tabletop game which doesn’t have digital controls. This allows them to enhance their new player experience by not complicating things too much, while keeping the end result as deep as they wanted.

The X-Wing Miniatures game has you play several training missions with simplified rules while learning the game. Krosmaster Arena got praise for its similar opening games that slowly introduce several rules and abilities over multiple games.

Dan did an internship at FF and is credited on one of the Imperial Assault mini expansions, not sure if he worked on anything as yet unreleased.

Aside from the conflation of locked content and tutorial content, does anyone really think it would be a great idea for board games to say things like "win 5 more games to be able to view or use this card/piece"? I just don't understand why this approach is almost universally accepted in video game design and apparently desired by physical designers too. A tutorial or suggested learning order is one thing if it gives players a gentler learning curve. Actually locking content institutes a maximum learning curve and the view that this is positive for learning strikes me as pretty demeaning to the players.

Part of the point I was trying to get at was that being 'forced' to simplify aspects of the game isn't actually a bad thing at all, and that feeling like you need to hide poo poo from the players is a useful signal that your game might benefit from some surgery. I can only imagine how incomprehensible your average FF game would be if the designers are currently being forced to simplify them.

OmegaGoo posted:

Wow, that sucks. But yeah, that's a very atypical Avalon experience. Also, and Broken Loose can certainly elaborate better on this than I can, the good minion is THE BEST ROLE.

Definitely. If you don't think vanilla loyal is the best role something has gone very wrong.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 15, 2015

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Radioactive Toy posted:

Pick Me is a good iphone alternative to this.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

burger time posted:

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/chwazi-finger-chooser/id689674978?mt=8

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

burger time posted:

We also use the Go First dice when the game uses a random player order.

Link here. http://www.ericharshbarger.org/dice/

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Definitely. If you don't think vanilla loyal is the best role something has gone very wrong.

Red Lancelot is the funnest role, hands down, I think. Percival is the the best/easiest for "making your team win" (which is why he shouldn't be in anything but "new player" setups).

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I don't have the Lancelot promo :(

Are you talking about variant #1? That sounds really difficult if you don't know which team you'll end up on.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Are you talking about variant #1? That sounds really difficult if you don't know which team you'll end up on.

You should just proxy some up; the rules are simple and it makes the game much more entertaining (assuming you have 7+ players). Here's our favorite setup: Red Lancelot, Blue Lancelot, use one of the Blue ladies as Guinevere (who sees the Lancelots at the start of the game). Lancelots don't know each other, and Red Lancelot doesn't see the other spies (though they see him). Use anything for the flip cards (2 flips, 3 non-flips is good). Before round 3, 4, and 5, you turn a flip card. If there's a flip, Blue and Red Lancelot effectively exchange loyalties. At the end of the game, the Assassin can choose to attempt to stab Merlin or Guinevere (whichever he picks, he only wins if he hits the one he picked). You should also have Lady of the Lake and Excalibur in this setup.

Blue has some interesting problems because nobody has all the information the team likely needs, but they need to make the information known without revealing making it too clear who's who. The Lancelots have a whole range of possible gambits, especially if they can get Lady or Excalibur; you can quite often put yourself in a good place to win whichever way the flips might go. Most games will see multiple Lancelot claims; the possibility that "yes I failed that, but I'm flipped to blue now" drastically reduces the effectiveness of pure deduction (which otherwise cripples games with Lady of the Lake) and generally just makes the game awesome.

EBag
May 18, 2006

I've been playing a bit of the T&E app and been enjoying it, so with the upcoming reprint of Samurai I was wondering how they compare. The scoring and tile laying at first glance appear similar but the variable board is interesting and it seems like it would scale better. Anyone more experienced that could provide some insight into the major differences?

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
Introduced Codenames to my parents last night, they quite liked it and are looking forward to playing it again, so that's a win I suppose! I may however need to reread the rules about giving clues because, like someone posted earlier in the thread, I gave a clue of "Double: 3" because the last three words for my mum all had double letters. Also at the weekend when playing with my girlfriend I gave the clue "Rhyme: 2" for "mug" and "rug".

I'll chalk it up to "introductory game mishaps" and enforce the rules more firmly next time. Even so, it's a really enjoyable game and fits quite well in my "After dinner games" niche along with Skull and Avalon.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

For going first, this is the easiest thing to do. It's completely random and doesn't require any gadgets:

Number the players starting with 0. Each player then puts up any number of fingers on a count of three. Add up the fingers and divide by the number of players to get a remainder. The player with that number is the start player.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

cenotaph posted:

For going first, this is the easiest thing to do. It's completely random and doesn't require any gadgets:

Number the players starting with 0. Each player then puts up any number of fingers on a count of three. Add up the fingers and divide by the number of players to get a remainder. The player with that number is the start player.

Do you think people have a uniformly random distribution of finger choices? I'd assume that 0 and 5 are less common, at least (assuming one hand). Or does that not matter since you only need random distribution of the totals, not the choices?
Certainly having a player at another table choose a number is not remotely random.

For situations with only hands, I'd use odds/evens or rock-paper-scissors (or combinations thereof). When those are not truly random, they will reward skill instead of the person who chooses the number scheme appropriately.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

NGDBSS posted:

All ground units move simultaneously, and in addition all legal paths are determined prior to movement. Thus you couldn't just slowly leapfrog your way across a system on one Advance Order with the same units, since -moving twice violates simultaneity and -making the second move would be illegal without a legal path determined before the first move.

I disagree because it doesn't state that you can only move a single time with that advance order per unit, you can move as you want within a system.
I'm not saying I don't see how you can interpret it that way but I don't interpret it that way myself.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
People who dislike fun ways of choosing who goes first in games are boring. Like, I get if you'd prefer it to be completely random or have the most experienced person go first so the newer players can follow along.

I'm just saying, how can you dislike looking at the rules to Batman Love Letter and seeing "The player who has most recently served justice to a corrupt world goes first"? You have to be dead inside.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Taear posted:

I disagree because it doesn't state that you can only move a single time with that advance order per unit, you can move as you want within a system.
I'm not saying I don't see how you can interpret it that way but I don't interpret it that way myself.

You're not just wrong, but being really snotty and a bit of a knob in the process. The rules reference clearly says:

from Moving Ground Units:

"A legal path is a series of contiguous friendly areas leading to the destination world. This can include worlds and/or voids."
"During an Advance Order, all ground units move simultaneously. This means that all legal paths are determined before moving any ground units."

From Areas - note the distinction between friendly and uncontrolled:

An area exists in one of four states, as follows:
» Friendly: An area is friendly to a player if it contains at least one of his units or structures and none of his opponent’s units or structures.
» Enemy: An area is enemy to a player if it contains at least one of an opponent’s units or structures and none of his own units or structures.
» Uncontrolled: An uncontrolled area is any area that does not contain any units or structures from any faction; it may contain an objective token.
» Contested: A contested area is any area that contains units or structures belonging to two factions. An area becomes contested whenever units are moved or placed onto an enemy area.

The End fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Sep 15, 2015

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Zveroboy posted:

Introduced Codenames to my parents last night, they quite liked it and are looking forward to playing it again, so that's a win I suppose! I may however need to reread the rules about giving clues because, like someone posted earlier in the thread, I gave a clue of "Double: 3" because the last three words for my mum all had double letters. Also at the weekend when playing with my girlfriend I gave the clue "Rhyme: 2" for "mug" and "rug".

I'll chalk it up to "introductory game mishaps" and enforce the rules more firmly next time. Even so, it's a really enjoyable game and fits quite well in my "After dinner games" niche along with Skull and Avalon.

Introduced Codenames to some friends, one of whom literally works for the Oxford English Dictionary, and he gave the clue "Intransitive" to refer to intransitive verbs. After the game we debated whether that was a permissible clue for a while (his argument was that whether they were intransitive is part of the definition of the word), but it was kind of moot because the clue went straight over his teammate's head anyway.

I still think it's a boring and cheap way to give a clue, and I feel the main reason for that rule is to prevent clues like that from being given, but a situation where you can give a clue like that and actually be able to rely on your opponent to understand it is pretty rare so I don't expect it to be an issue.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The End posted:

You're not just wrong, but being really snotty and a bit of a knob in the process. The rules reference clearly says:

I'm not being snotty, I'm trying to be precise so it makes sense.
It says they move at the same time. But it doesn't say they only move once per advance order. In fact it says you can adjust units within the system as you wish later in the rules - now the unit is in the system what is to stop me moving it again?

What I'm saying is I don't think that your interpretation precludes moving it twice or more using the same order in the same system as long as you're not getting into a combat.

I know FF aren't normally hugely precise but right now I see how you are interpreting it that way but I don't think it's right. Normally they'd specifically say an advance order means you can only move a single time per unit, from Runewars books, Twilight Imperium and Game of Thrones they're specific about the way things move and do allow your orders to let you move into and out of places.
We at least need some more clarification.

I'm not quibbling with your definition of path or friendly areas or anything like that. What I'm saying is there's nothing to stop my unit arriving in the system, then moving again to the next planet and again to the next (all as seperate moves with the same order) because nothing is triggering a combat or it to stop.

Taear fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Sep 15, 2015

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

bobvonunheil posted:

Introduced Codenames to some friends, one of whom literally works for the Oxford English Dictionary, and he gave the clue "Intransitive" to refer to intransitive verbs. After the game we debated whether that was a permissible clue for a while (his argument was that whether they were intransitive is part of the definition of the word), but it was kind of moot because the clue went straight over his teammate's head anyway.

I still think it's a boring and cheap way to give a clue, and I feel the main reason for that rule is to prevent clues like that from being given, but a situation where you can give a clue like that and actually be able to rely on your opponent to understand it is pretty rare so I don't expect it to be an issue.

I think you have to classify it in the same bucket as something like "Verb" (which I would expect most high school students to understand).

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Taear posted:

I'm not quibbling with your definition of path or friendly areas or anything like that. What I'm saying is there's nothing to stop my unit arriving in the system, then moving again to the next planet and again to the next (all as seperate moves with the same order) because nothing is triggering a combat or it to stop.

An Advance Order permits one move for each unit, from the departure point to its destination. The move is via a legal path through friendly areas to the destination area. As all units are moved simultaneously, the neutral system only becomes friendly as all units arrive.

The rulebook is patently unambiguous on the matter, using clearly defined keywords to provide boundaries. You're either not comprehending what you're reading or being deliberately obtuse.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The End posted:

An Advance Order permits one move for each unit, from the departure point to its destination. The move is via a legal path through friendly areas to the destination area. As all units are moved simultaneously, the neutral system only becomes friendly as all units arrive.

"During an Advance Order, all ground units move simultaneously. This means that all legal paths are determined before moving any ground units."

Again I don't see how this stops it moving twice. It says you can readjust within the system which is just what I'd be doing if it moves again.
I'm not being obtuse, I just don't agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.

bobvonunheil posted:

Yeah, exactly. My clue of Double: 3 went right over my mum's head and my dad actually had to give her a hint so she could get it. The vast majority of people would I think automatically expect the clue to do with the meaning of the word so these kind of "meta" clues aren't really an issue.