Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

There's not enough spoons on this planet to throw at Wildstar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Esper got really fun for me once they allowed you to move while casting that spell that shot the blue swords/knives at your target. That was just about the week that everyone quit and there was nothing left to do though.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I got given a beta f2p key too.

The housing actually looks ok. I might give this a whirl.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The Dominion storyline kinda blew rear end too. Wildly swinging between 'Saturday morning cartoon evil villain being evil because he's a villain who is therefore evil and a villain' and trying to take a more serious 'Oh woe is me I'm pushed to do these terrible things because of the horrible actions of these revolting terrorists'.

I could have gone with either one if it had stayed consistent. Either laughing at goofy over-the-top villain behavior or seeing it through the eyes of someone staring into the abyss too long. Flailing about between the two at random was a pretty good way to lose interest.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

They should have gone for over the top villains because A) the whole goddamn ad campaign set up the game as a goofy comedy and B) the chances of an MMO successfully pulling off a morally grey faction is almost zero.

I mean, this is the game that calls you a super mega badass when you level, and mockingly calls you a cupcake upon death. Don't try to be loving nuanced

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
The most annoying thing for me in Wildstar and the reason I packed it in as I was levelling is that a good 70% of fights took a shitload of effort. I shouldn't really need to dodge and interrupt constantly when I'm fighting some quest mob, each fight shouldn't take me three or four minutes.

It got worse as I levelled and I just couldn't be bothered. It wasn't HARD it was just irritating. Which I guess is the story of Wildstar.
Maybe if I'd have to fight one enemy like that in the quest or the enemy gave me a decent amount of experience but they never did.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Taear posted:

The most annoying thing for me in Wildstar and the reason I packed it in as I was levelling is that a good 70% of fights took a shitload of effort. I shouldn't really need to dodge and interrupt constantly when I'm fighting some quest mob, each fight shouldn't take me three or four minutes.

It got worse as I levelled and I just couldn't be bothered. It wasn't HARD it was just irritating. Which I guess is the story of Wildstar.
Maybe if I'd have to fight one enemy like that in the quest or the enemy gave me a decent amount of experience but they never did.

Yeah, the amount of engagement it required was a lot higher than I was looking for in an MMO. Keep that poo poo to dungeons and raids, honestly.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
engagement would be fine if the leveling process isnt some weeks long affair

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Requiring a high level of player engagement makes sense if your game is actually fun.

Because Wildstar is an MMO built to conform to the "leveling is the thing you do while waiting for the real game to start" structure, it naturally doesn't work there. Incidentally, that structure is dumb and lovely.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
What mostly dragged solo pve fights down was the huge amount of HP mobs started having. Playing a warrior was so depressing, unleashing some crazy looking nuclear powered sword combo and realizing you have to do the same thing 4 more times to kill this one ordinary boar.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm glad I never leveled high enough to start running into that.

That's another thing: if you're going to make players pay attention and be highly engaged while fighting routine enemies, don't also make them HP sponges. This is true of dungeon bosses, too, really. (*cough* ArenaNet *cough*)

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Turtle Sandbox posted:

WotLK was the first time I didn't have to farm poo poo loads of mats or gold for mats so we could have the 10k gold worth of pots a raid week took.

WotLK was the first time I actually made money from raiding. Even on progression nights the money from trashes/bosses on farm was usually enough to keep me in moolah. I stopped doing dailies around Ulduar, because between the weekly nax clear to gear up alts and Ulduar itself we were making pretty good bank.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Harrow posted:

I'm glad I never leveled high enough to start running into that.

That's another thing: if you're going to make players pay attention and be highly engaged while fighting routine enemies, don't also make them HP sponges. This is true of dungeon bosses, too, really. (*cough* ArenaNet *cough*)

The length of the fight never REALLY bothered me. Just having to be completely on form every single fight did. I can't be bothered, it's not worth the effort.

The nature of a MMOG is going to mean you've got some down time where you're not having the most fun you can have. I'm fine with that. Sometimes it's relaxing and the game is there to fill when I haven't got anything better to do.
Making me fight the equivalent of a dungeon boss ten times for every quest is just an enormous arse.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Taear posted:

The length of the fight never REALLY bothered me. Just having to be completely on form every single fight did. I can't be bothered, it's not worth the effort.

The nature of a MMOG is going to mean you've got some down time where you're not having the most fun you can have. I'm fine with that. Sometimes it's relaxing and the game is there to fill when I haven't got anything better to do.
Making me fight the equivalent of a dungeon boss ten times for every quest is just an enormous arse.

It's actually quite a well studied piece of game design, the focus on interest curves. An ideal interest curve should be one that starts off with a low gradient and then swoops upwards to peak at a moderately high point. This is so that the player can execute on the lessons learnt on the lower parts of the curve and to give them a sense of accomplishment.

That pattern then gradually goes upwards, moving between high peaks of engagement and low troughs of rest for the player to learn more and 'chill out' after the excitement from the peak.

Wildstar is almost like sensory overload in that it is in your face.. Constantly and perpetually. It's just not good design.

a neurotic ai fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 15, 2015

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Ocrassus posted:

It's actually quite a well studied piece of game design, the focus on interest curves. An ideal interest curve should be one that starts off with a low gradient and then swoops upwards to peak at a moderately high point. This is so that the player can execute on the lessons learnt on the lower parts of the curve and to give them a sense of accomplishment.

That pattern then gradually goes upwards, moving between high peaks of engagement and low troughs of rest for the player to learn more and 'chill out' after the excitement from the peak.

Wildstar is almost like sensory overload in that it is in your face.. Constantly and perpetually. It's just not good design.

Keeping your attention focused entirely on a game is great when it's a game like dark souls where most of the encounters are brutally short one way or the other. There isn't a pile of extra poo poo you need to kill, and every encounter is specifically designed to get the most difficulty out of the fewest number of enemies or length of engagement and maybe one or two mechanics tops. It's a game that understands that difficulty is something people want in short bursts with a cooldown period where you're taking in the atmosphere or looking for the loot and at your stats and stuff, and there's a buildup of tension when you look ahead to figure out what's going to immediately try to kill you next or when you see a fog gate.

Wildstar has none of the downtime required to make that difficulty work well, and it was exacerbated by those stupid challenge timers that would pop up randomly with poo poo rewards and have some guy yelling at you about it. The entire thing is like sucking down an entire pound of warheads all at once.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Crafting changes!

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/2015-09-15-crafting-improvements-in-free-to-play/

The main takeaway is that crafting is being made easier to understand, and that there will be special mats in dungeons to let you craft gear on par with that dungeon's drops in case you're unlucky or something. Also: failure caps. Because losing your mats when you failed wasn't enough :unsmigghh:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ocrassus posted:

The challenges that popped up really exacerbated this. You get a quest to kill ten deer, you kill one then suddenly HOLY poo poo THERE'S A CHALLENGE YOU ONLY HAVE 70 SECONDS LEFT YOU NEED TO KILL AS MANY DEER AS POSSIBLE GO GO GO! Yeah you could ignore them without consequence, but having timers constantly pop up around you made everything feel hectic, in a bad way.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Keeping your attention focused entirely on a game is great when it's a game like dark souls where most of the encounters are brutally short one way or the other. There isn't a pile of extra poo poo you need to kill, and every encounter is specifically designed to get the most difficulty out of the fewest number of enemies or length of engagement and maybe one or two mechanics tops. It's a game that understands that difficulty is something people want in short bursts with a cooldown period where you're taking in the atmosphere or looking for the loot and at your stats and stuff, and there's a buildup of tension when you look ahead to figure out what's going to immediately try to kill you next or when you see a fog gate.

Wildstar has none of the downtime required to make that difficulty work well, and it was exacerbated by those stupid challenge timers that would pop up randomly with poo poo rewards and have some guy yelling at you about it. The entire thing is like sucking down an entire pound of warheads all at once.

Yeah, if I'm playing some single player action game or something it's a much different story. There's no social element and not nearly as much progression/metagame to worry about so you just focus on the gameplay. Not so with MMOs, generally.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 16, 2015

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

The challenges that popped up really exacerbated this. You get a quest to kill ten deer, you kill one then suddenly HOLY poo poo THERE'S A CHALLENGE YOU ONLY HAVE 70 SECONDS LEFT YOU NEED TO KILL AS MANY DEER AS POSSIBLE GO GO GO! Yeah you could ignore them without consequence, but having timers constantly pop up around you made everything feel hectic, in a bad way.
Especially since half the time they weren't even doable if there was anyone else in the same area competing for mob/clickie spawns.

Not that I imagine this is an issue now. :v:

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Rorus Raz posted:

Crafting changes!

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/2015-09-15-crafting-improvements-in-free-to-play/

The main takeaway is that crafting is being made easier to understand, and that there will be special mats in dungeons to let you craft gear on par with that dungeon's drops in case you're unlucky or something. Also: failure caps. Because losing your mats when you failed wasn't enough :unsmigghh:

they're really set on not making any part of the game not suck

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

The Moon Monster posted:

I had actually forgotten about those! They were such a mixed bag too, some were completed without even thinking about it and some were an absolute pain in the rear end to get done. Ugh.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

quote:

Keep in mind that there is a failure cap. Once your failure rate reaches this threshold, you cannot craft your item until it’s lowered back below the threshold.
I can't believe I paid these idiots $60 for this game once upon a time

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Rorus Raz posted:

Crafting changes!

Soothing Vapors posted:

I can't believe I paid these idiots $60 for this game once upon a time

You realize they mean like 'if you have over a 60% chance to fail we won't let you make the item until you reduce it by changing stats,' right? To keep people from wasting mats on poo poo that has limited chance to succeed.

I mean they've always had a failure chance for when you overcharged poo poo in crafting, adding a cap as a guide line for acceptable risk kinda makes sense, unless it's stupidly low. And considering they also have poo poo to unlock to raise the failure cap, I do worry it's gonna be TOO low. Anything under 40% chance to fail as the cap seems like it'd be pushing it.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Why does crafting have a failure chance in the first place? Is there some context I'm missing?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Mizuti posted:

Why does crafting have a failure chance in the first place? Is there some context I'm missing?

because its an MMO i guess

poo poo like this is just holdover from so long ago nobody remembers why it's in games

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Mizuti posted:

because if you don't have it idiots will cry about casuals

also those idiots are the people who are making the game

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.

Kelp Plankton posted:

because its an MMO i guess

poo poo like this is just holdover from so long ago nobody remembers why it's in games

Reasonably it would allow you to have a system where items can be crafted for much less resources with a risk.

making 5 boots and failing 2 would cost as much materials as making 3 boots in a non fail system.

This is not the case in wildstar cupcake.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
I liked that in Everquest 2, where crafting threw different conditions at you and you had to counter them with things and as you got better at the type of crafting you were doing you had better skills to counter them. Made leveling crafting more involved but was more interesting than farm materials for an hour then stand next to a forge, click craft all and go afk for the next 15 minutes while your character emotes with a hammer.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Crafting is loving horrible in MMOs, it has never once worked well and never will, and yet it remains one of those lingering vestigial development things that nobody will ever dare get rid of.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Dunno, works well in ESO where crafting is a good source of viable gear for the level you're using and you can even craft your own set items provided you can keep track of the crafting shrines and have researched the slot enough. Never really used non crafted items after I figured this out very early on.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Crafting is usually just a way to waste players' bag space and trick them into sinking tons of gold into something that usually gives worse rewards than the dungeons they could be doing. Cooking tends to be a bit better because it's mostly buffs but it's usually the worst for bag space.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Even games that literally revolve around crafting and making stuff (such as minecraft and it's infinite bad clones) wind up getting so staggeringly tedious that you wish it was automated, have a majority of recipes that are literally useless and pointless, or both. Also,

Unguided posted:

Crafting is usually just a way to waste players' bag space and trick them into sinking tons of gold into something that usually gives worse rewards than the dungeons they could be doing. Cooking tends to be a bit better because it's mostly buffs but it's usually the worst for bag space.
This will always be true because if crafted gear is better than dungeon/raid/whatever gear then it renders entire swaths of content obsolete and no sane developer will intentionally want to do that. Or you wind up with the worst of both worlds where crafting is super critical for one or two minor things but you can't ignore the massive tedious time and cash sink due to it. It's pointless to include it in a progression-based MMO and there's no way to make it fun.

Also consumable buffs are another sacred cow that needs to be given the Old Yeller treatment but at least that seems to be a little less ubiquitous these days.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Vanguard had really good crafted gear :v:

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Mizuti posted:

I think UO had a chance to fail when crafting, and I know FF11 and FF14 have chances to fail, but I can't think of any other major MMOs that have it off of the top of my head. Hell even EverQuest didn't have a chance to fail so long as you had the appropriate skill, if I remember right.

WoW just had a chance you wouldn't get a skill up but you still got the item made. I think it's just to have a money sink and risk associated with crafting.

Also, crafting in Wildstar only has a chance to fail if you fiddle with the stats. As it's mentioned in that crafting article, every item has two rune slots of differing element types; every secondary stat is associated with an element. Leaving it as is or tweaking stats that match the rune slots gives a much lower chance to fail, whereas throwing a different stat (like crit) into a slot it doesn't match or going overboard and adding like +20% chance to crit to the item increases the odds you won't successfully make it.

They try to go for a risk vs reward thing with it, and I guess the cap is just to keep new players from doing incredibly dumb poo poo to start out with.

Unguided posted:

Wildstar's crafted gear turned out to be superior to dungeon drops, and in fact there was one weapon that, if you stacked the same stat on it, was superior to even anything you could get in entry raiding. A lot of MMOs use entry crafting to fill in gaps for entry level raiding; hell, WoW still has some of the best loving crafted weapons that can beat out poo poo you get from quests and dungeons easily, and let you level them up to stay current.

But yeah usually just there cause it HAS to be there. Hell, I remember when cloth casters HAD to have certain pieces to be competitive in WoW; it was utter poo poo.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Asimo posted:

Crafting is loving horrible in MMOs, it has never once worked well and never will, and yet it remains one of those lingering vestigial development things that nobody will ever dare get rid of.

I like FF14's crafting system because there are actual game mechanics behind it. But then, I'm comparing it to WoW and FF11 crafting in my head, which are both boring as hell and in FF11's case actively punishing you for daring to try. I'm not familiar with the systems of other games. In FF14, the RNG component upon finishing a craft is whether it ends up high-quality or not - if you fill the progress bar in time, it's going to complete. That said, I don't think it's particularly well integrated into the game in terms of rewarding you for participating - the FF14 thread will tell you that crafting will never make you money or useful gear without pouring millions and millions of gil into overmelding, and they're right - I just like that it's more complex than gathering materials, pressing a button, and watching an animation.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Asimo posted:

It's all right in The Secret World, but that's because there are no associated skills to level and you basically just put a bunch of components together and you're set.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

it has the problem of being complex in the "lots of tedious ingredients" way as well

to make a level 58 fist weapon in blacksmithing requires level 56-58 crafts from alchemy, goldsmithing, carpenter, and leatherworking, and each of those individual crafts requires a combination of hunting, botany, and mining. it's just tedious ingredient hoarding.

quote:

5 Fire Crystal
5 Earth Crystal

1 Wing Glue,
4 Water Crystal
2 Ahriman Wing
2 Dhalmel Saliva
3 Wyvern Wing

2 Aurum Regis Nugget,
10 Wind Crystal
2 Gold Ore
10 Aurum Regis Sand

2 Adamantite Nugget,
10 Fire Crystal
2 Darksteel Ore
10 Adamantite Ore

1 Amphiptere Leather,
5 Earth Crystal
3 Amphiptere Skin
1 Dark Chestnut Log

1 Birch Lumber,
5 Wind Crystal
5 Birch Log

darksteel ore, gold ore, and adamantite ore also all come from things called "unspoiled gathering nodes" that only spawn once (twice in the case of adamantite) per day, one eorzean day being about 70 minutes

it's just tedious

this is without going into the clusterfuck that endgame crafting is

sword_man.gif fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 17, 2015

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Somebody post that normal quality craft someone did with 98% HQ rate which caused them to lose out on 10+ million gil.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Holyshoot posted:

Somebody post that normal quality craft someone did with 98% HQ rate which caused them to lose out on 10+ million gil.

the only way to win is not to play

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
RNG is a fickle bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

sword_man.gif posted:

the only way to win is not to play

:xcom:

• Locked thread