Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I listened to both again today and boy howdy I like Peter's vocals better. Ian isn't bad though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Soilwork's new album dropped today and it's good. It's more Soilwork.

Not exactly a core band or anything but they've had an undeniable influence on a lot of the music posted in here and I would guess there are a lot of Soilwork fans in here also.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Soilwork's new album dropped today and it's good. It's more Soilwork.

Not exactly a core band or anything but they've had an undeniable influence on a lot of the music posted in here and I would guess there are a lot of Soilwork fans in here also.

I have heard it's basically The Living Infinite (Disc 3), and considering TLI was my favorite album of 2013 I am pretty loving stoked for this

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
the new Soilwork is pretty good. it does sound a lot like The Living Infinite, that wouldn't be a bad thing really but that album had literally 20 tracks

there's a couple of real bangers on it though, all round solid album

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I'm moshing

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

ShoogaSlim posted:

I'm moshing

See you in NYC.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

One of my favorite things about moving to Denver is finally being able to see bands I like. Also, The Marquis is a really cool space

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

See you in NYC.

Tickets go on sale Friday at 10am. I don't think they'll sell out that fast, but considering the size of these venues.. they will sell out pretty quick. FYI.

Also - I'll be the drunken rear end in a top hat ripping his shirt off leaping from the stage.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
That's a great tour name.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Eight Is Legend posted:

That's a great tour name.

Agree. So good.

Unrelated: I'm listening to Carnifex's 2012 album "Hell Chose Me" on a whim, and I almost forgot how brutal the breakdown at :52 is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z7rIw9iI3I

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

You can stream the new Axis album "Show Your Greed" on Metal Injection. I suggest you do it. It's excellent.

http://www.metalinjection.net/av/stream-axis-crusty-violent-new-album-show-your-greed-right-now

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This is a rare time where I will agree, assuming the rest of the album is like the song I heard on Stereogum.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
hope someone here likes mathcore :<

https://spiresofthelunarsphere.bandcamp.com/releases

this is my band's first single! we're trying to go for that early/mid-2000s spazz math era of daughters and #12 and all the other no-rules heavy bands from back then. experimental metal/hardcore is in a really boring place for me right now, so i wanted to make something super self indulgent and weird but also have fun doing it and not be up my own rear end with seriousness like i'm Fallujah or something.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
Haha wow the first venue of that tour is my friends' place, the Heirloom. It's right down the road from me, I had no clue they had that show going so I will absolutely be there. Goddamn I'm excited now!

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

the Bunt posted:

hope someone here likes mathcore :<

https://spiresofthelunarsphere.bandcamp.com/releases

this is my band's first single! we're trying to go for that early/mid-2000s spazz math era of daughters and #12 and all the other no-rules heavy bands from back then. experimental metal/hardcore is in a really boring place for me right now, so i wanted to make something super self indulgent and weird but also have fun doing it and not be up my own rear end with seriousness like i'm Fallujah or something.

I love mathcore and I'm a big fan of #12 and Unexpect (though it's very hard to do a style similar to Unexpect well), so naturally I checked this out. Your progressions are pretty logical for the most part and it grooves well, so no complaints (though the first minute or so feels a bit disorganized), but the 3:30 section is by far the most interesting part of the song. Reminds me of Journal, in how it moves from those dissonant spazzy bits into a floaty, beautiful section. I hope you guys focus on that side of your sound, since a balance of spazz, groove and good melody is something not many bands can pull off, and it's much more enjoyable (to me at least) than stuff that is just "avant-garde" for the sake of it. Your style has a lot of potential, though, and I'm very keen to see how it develops :)

I'd ask if you're familiar with any of these bands:
Peculate, Painted In Exile, The Palindrome Sequence, bilo'u, The Dali Thundering Concept, Flub, Ultrageist, Circuit of Suns, Lye By Mistake, Candiria, Exotic Animal Petting Zoo, Today I Caught The Plague, and Journal (as mentioned above).

All are on the more experimental side of the metalcore spectrum and might have some good ideas and approaches to take inspiration from.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Gamma Nerd posted:

I love mathcore and I'm a big fan of #12 and Unexpect (though it's very hard to do a style similar to Unexpect well), so naturally I checked this out. Your progressions are pretty logical for the most part and it grooves well, so no complaints (though the first minute or so feels a bit disorganized), but the 3:30 section is by far the most interesting part of the song. Reminds me of Journal, in how it moves from those dissonant spazzy bits into a floaty, beautiful section. I hope you guys focus on that side of your sound, since a balance of spazz, groove and good melody is something not many bands can pull off, and it's much more enjoyable (to me at least) than stuff that is just "avant-garde" for the sake of it. Your style has a lot of potential, though, and I'm very keen to see how it develops :)

I'd ask if you're familiar with any of these bands:
Peculate, Painted In Exile, The Palindrome Sequence, bilo'u, The Dali Thundering Concept, Flub, Ultrageist, Circuit of Suns, Lye By Mistake, Candiria, Exotic Animal Petting Zoo, Today I Caught The Plague, and Journal (as mentioned above).

All are on the more experimental side of the metalcore spectrum and might have some good ideas and approaches to take inspiration from.

Flub, Lye By Mistake and Journal are all some of my favorite bands! I love Exotic Animal's first album, but not the second one very much. My vocalist is very much obsessed with Unexpect, and I like them too but it's not quite what I'm trying to go for as far as the musicality goes. Like you said, it's very difficult to pull off the orchestration that Unexpect does. I'd probably say my biggest single influence is HORSE the Band, but it's not too apparent in this song. Actually, anything with an emphasis on electronics and synthesizers, HORSE, Rolo Tomassi or Genghis Tron is my biggest weakness as far as -core and metal music goes. I'd love to hear more bands in that vein if you know any!

I agree with you! My main infatuation lately is the dynamic between abrasive grindiness and dainty ambience and catchy melodies. This was our first single because its a little more deathcore-centric than the other songs, all of which are much more about the collision of contradicting moods. Thanks for

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

the Bunt posted:

Actually, anything with an emphasis on electronics and synthesizers, HORSE, Rolo Tomassi or Genghis Tron is my biggest weakness as far as -core and metal music goes. I'd love to hear more bands in that vein if you know any!

Well, there's a lot of deathcore that uses some sort of keyboard work (Born of Osiris, Ovid's Withering, Slice the Cake, etc.) My favorite band in that style is probably Ophelia's Breath. I also liked Circle of Contempt's most recent EP, it has a lot of nice synth backgrounds. Oh and I have a weakness for Fail Emotions' 2012 EP, even if it's a slightly worse impersonation of Blood Stain Child.

If you like Genghis Tron maybe try Cutting Pink With Knives? And, they're not purely metal (more like hyperspeed prog rock/punk), but An Albatross are loving AWESOME.

In a different sort of fusion, Ted Maul combine DnB with deathcore.

Nakaruga and Neosis have some influsion of cyber metal, sort of like what Sybreed would do, combined with the usual djentcore style.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

New Parkway Drive track: http://www.revolvermag.com/news/parkway-drive-premiere-new-song-sound-of-violence.html

I don't hate it. Going to hold off any real judgement til I can spin the full album a few times. I was kinda underwhelmed by the singles that Stray From The Path released, but, hearing them in the context of the full album (which may well be my favorite release from them), I've changed my stance on them.

Also, anyone else listen to the new BMTH album? It's a pretty big shift, and I'm sure a lot of their fans will haaaaate it, but I'm digging it. They're basically no longer relevant to this thread, but it's a good album if you take it for what it is.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

XIII posted:

New Parkway Drive track: http://www.revolvermag.com/news/parkway-drive-premiere-new-song-sound-of-violence.html

I don't hate it. Going to hold off any real judgement til I can spin the full album a few times. I was kinda underwhelmed by the singles that Stray From The Path released, but, hearing them in the context of the full album (which may well be my favorite release from them), I've changed my stance on them.

Also, anyone else listen to the new BMTH album? It's a pretty big shift, and I'm sure a lot of their fans will haaaaate it, but I'm digging it. They're basically no longer relevant to this thread, but it's a good album if you take it for what it is.

Agree with pretty much everything you said. New Parkway track is pretty good, still got hope for their new record, Stray's new record slays, as does BMTH's. It's gonna be interesting to see how big they'll get with it - direct warm up for Metallica at Reading & Leeds is already pretty huge, but I feel they haven't peaked yet.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Eight Is Legend posted:

Agree with pretty much everything you said. New Parkway track is pretty good, still got hope for their new record, Stray's new record slays, as does BMTH's. It's gonna be interesting to see how big they'll get with it - direct warm up for Metallica at Reading & Leeds is already pretty huge, but I feel they haven't peaked yet.

I still want your take on the latest He Is Legend album. I saw them a month or two back and it was a great time.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Parkway Drive has always been terribly mediocre.

In other news, the new Bring Me The Horizon is incredible. That's definitely some poo poo I never thought I would say, but I'm saying it. A buddy of mine told me to give it a shot, and I figured I would listen just to make fun of it. It's drat catchy, though. Not heavy whatsoever but they spent enough years making crappy death core. At least this album is interesting.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
I was lukewarm on BMTH on first listen but I'm liking it more and more. Seems like another song 'clicks' each time through, right now I love about half of the songs, but the number keeps growing. Drown is fantastic, I know it's been out for a long time but it didn't do anything for me on first listen. When it showed up in the album I was floored though. Weird how that happens.

Still enjoying the hell out of Subliminal Criminals, too.

More irrelevant talk, but The Wonder Years' new album is great. Jason Butler's guest spot on this track is ridiculous:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BseJxGjIeDU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

ShoogaSlim posted:

In other news, the new Bring Me The Horizon is incredible. That's definitely some poo poo I never thought I would say, but I'm saying it. A buddy of mine told me to give it a shot, and I figured I would listen just to make fun of it. It's drat catchy, though. Not heavy whatsoever but they spent enough years making crappy death core. At least this album is interesting.

I think 'Oh No' qualifies for best pop song of the year

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I've not given much thought to Stray from the Path ever so I started listening to their new one. Three tracks in and I'm assuming their whole shtick is trying to be RATM? Outbreak and Guerrilla Radio are eerily similar

e: in addition to everything else that is similar

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Kumbamontu posted:

I've not given much thought to Stray from the Path ever so I started listening to their new one. Three tracks in and I'm assuming their whole shtick is trying to be RATM? Outbreak and Guerrilla Radio are eerily similar

Same vibe I received.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kumbamontu posted:

They used to be a straightforward posi hardcore band but yeah their current direction is Rage worship. They have a cover of Vietnow out there.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

BMTH: Oh No is such an awesome pop song. The best songs are the ones that have barely any "-core" elements to them.

SFTP: Their best album is Rising Sun where they're sort of equal parts yelpy-posi-core and RATM imposters. That album helped me fall in love with the "blegh" noise lots of metalcore acts have been using. I sort of suspect that after The Acacia Strain toured with them that Vincent picked up on that, too. Every song since that tour has included more and more vomit noises. I love it. Everything else Stray put out after Rising Sun has sucked.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I still think my favorite "blegh" is in Devil's Island by Architects.

Ninja edit: now with more link. Blegh hits at around 1:50
https://youtu.be/CmOrHwWbQ0c

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

XIII posted:

I still want your take on the latest He Is Legend album. I saw them a month or two back and it was a great time.

I've been spending some more time with it lately and it's a really great album, no way around it. They have such an amazing swagger to all their songs and there's an attention to detail that's kinda unparalleled - you can always find a certain sound or melody to dig into. If it's their best? Hmm, not sure, I still think Suck Out the Poison takes that one, but all of their albums are so distinct that it feels unfair to judge them that way.

I'm also really glad to see that they're doing great these days, touring and having (what seems like) a good time with it - they really deserve some success.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
wow the new parkway drive sucks, half the songs are nu-metal as gently caress and the rest are bland as hell

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

TheIllestVillain posted:

wow the new parkway drive sucks, half the songs are nu-metal as gently caress and the rest are bland as hell

I agree with this tbh. Deleted it already.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
While I was out on vacation, new Atreyu, Black Dahlia Murder, and Scale the Summit dopped :getin: looks like I got some catching up to do.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I got halfway through the atreyu album before I gave up out of sheer boredom

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I listened to a couple of the new Atreyu tracks and it just sounded like more Atreyu. I'll probably finish the album then never listen again.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Kumbamontu posted:

I got halfway through the atreyu album before I gave up out of sheer boredom

XIII posted:

I listened to a couple of the new Atreyu tracks and it just sounded like more Atreyu. I'll probably finish the album then never listen again.

I actually like it a lot, but Atreyu seems to be one of those love/hate bands with not much middle ground. This sounds exactly like an album they would have released 7 or 8 years ago, and I'm absolutely fine with that. You could probably slot it in between Deathgrip and Congregation (I took out Lead Sails on purpose because that's really a different beast of an album) and it'd fit nicely between the two.

Also, New Black Dahlia murder absolutely rips, as usual. Reminds me a lot of Nocturnal, which is probably my favorite album of theirs. Same vibe.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I loved the absolute poo poo out of Atreyu back in high school, but Lead Sails dropped and I just didn't care anymore. I listened to Congregation a few times, but I just never got back into them the same way. I'll still give Death-Grip a spin every now and then, but it's rare.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

my band's openin up for Cattle Decap and Abiotic in november! yay! honestly did not think we would get on this show because we're not death metal lol.

I've played with Abiotic in my old band a bunch of times. they are really good, but I didn't really care much for their newest album. It's fine tech-death, but it doesn't have that spacey sci-fi sound that their EP and first album did. The newer vocalist is way generic compared to Ray. Still stoked to see them again because their live show is perfection.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I actually like it a lot, but Atreyu seems to be one of those love/hate bands with not much middle ground. This sounds exactly like an album they would have released 7 or 8 years ago, and I'm absolutely fine with that. You could probably slot it in between Deathgrip and Congregation (I took out Lead Sails on purpose because that's really a different beast of an album) and it'd fit nicely between the two.

Yeah, I actually love the new album. Seems like a mix of everything in their career, but executed a whole lot better than Congregation or Lead Sails which I didn't really care for. A lot of the tracks sound like they could fit right between The Curse and Deathgrip in style and quality. Start to Break is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJpufXnXORA

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

New PWD is part PWD part buttrock part rapmetal

No sir I don't like it

edit: Did they just decide breakdowns weren't "trending" anymore or something? Jesus this is boring. Every song is a singalong they designed to play at arena gigs. Put this CD on the shelf next to Disturbed

Wamsutta fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Wamsutta posted:

New PWD is part PWD part buttrock part rapmetal

No sir I don't like it

edit: Did they just decide breakdowns weren't "trending" anymore or something? Jesus this is boring. Every song is a singalong they designed to play at arena gigs. Put this CD on the shelf next to Disturbed

I'm waiting until the album is up on Google Music before I listen, but I haven't really liked anything I've heard so far. Especially disappointing because I loving love Atlas and really dug Deep Blue and Horizons.