Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

This is just beautiful. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

frankenfreak posted:

Sounds like the plot of Die Hard (WTC) 7.

We already can't take liquids on planes because of a Die Hard movie, why not have more global events impacted by them?

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

So now that we're probably going to be seeing a lot more of this dude in the future: why is he wearing a hat made out of a tin can and string?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Want to give this one a little love before it disappears like tears in the rain.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Wait.

Was he the budgie in the smuggler?! :vince:

Avenida
Jul 14, 2015

Deep Hurting posted:

Again, both caricatures are good, but Rosa Parks not being instantly recognizable without a label, to most people, is one of the reasons Davis' horrible "Rosa Parks" comparison was difficult (if not impossible) to build a good cartoon around.
I would think a black woman sitting at the front of a bus would be an iconic enough image to be recognizable without a label, but maybe I'm overestimating the kind of people who compared Davis to Parks to begin with.

betaraywil posted:

It's like if every time you saw something physically big, no matter that it might be, you thought "hah like the national debt is numerically."
I'm pretty sure this is exactly how Ramirez thinks.

Redwolf
Aug 9, 2011

I do not approve of your posting good sir! Not at all!

dijon du jour posted:

So now that we're probably going to be seeing a lot more of this dude in the future: why is he wearing a hat made out of a tin can and string?

Its a fancy top hat because is is really rich elitist, its a tin can because he and his party turned our planned national broadband network into a cheap and nasty husk of what it would have been.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Avenida posted:

I'm pretty sure this is exactly how Ramirez thinks.

:thejoke:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Saint Sputnik posted:

Makes sense, when you think about all those other countries that also use the star of david on their flag.

What could that possibly have to do with a religious symbol being conflated with a national flag incorporating that symbol? I am genuinely curious, did you read the post you quoted and think "man, that guy must be really worried about people getting Finland and Denmark mixed up"? :confused:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lord Hydronium posted:

The Secret Jew Gold idea has already been mentioned, but my favorite is that WTC7 had the plans for 9/11 itself. Because they just didn't feel like buying a shredder, I guess.

Seems legit to me. Shredder's broke, you have all these plans for your secret inside job attack on America so, ya know, you blow a building up to get rid of them.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Lord Hydronium posted:

The Secret Jew Gold idea has already been mentioned, but my favorite is that WTC7 had the plans for 9/11 itself. Because they just didn't feel like buying a shredder, I guess.

Combine this with destroying WTC7 being the whole point and you get a plan whose whole purpose is to destroy the records of the plan itself. This I'd happily believe as I have a thing for recursion.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Angepain posted:

Combine this with destroying WTC7 being the whole point and you get a plan whose whole purpose is to destroy the records of the plan itself. This I'd happily believe as I have a thing for recursion.

If the new building was the WTC22 you might have been on to something

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Angepain posted:

A certain breed of truther would even take pride in the whole thing, because you would only ever need to destroy the plans so thoroughly if you knew that someone was hot on the trail, this close to blowing it all wide open.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Angepain posted:

This trumps the other best one I've heard, which is that the owner insured WTC 7, then had a clause inserted that paid double if it was destroyed by "terrorist attack", then sued to claim double that double because it was hit by two planes, so it should be counted as having been destroyed twice by terrorist attack.

Edit to clarify: it is not a conspiracy that he tried to get it to count twice; that actually happened. The conspiracy is that, since he had just leased the properties six weeks earlier and 'happened' to be at a doctor's appointment that morning instead of his normal offices in Windows of the World, he had planned the whole thing to make a massive profit off of the insurance, and getting the insurance to pay out twice due to two planes hitting was part of the plan.

Eschers Basement fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 15, 2015

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Eschers Basement posted:

then sued to claim double that double because it was hit by two planes, so it should be counted as having been destroyed twice by terrorist attack.

Jesus. What a greedy little Eichmann.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Eschers Basement posted:

According to some conspiracies I've read, demolishing 7 was the whole point and the Twin Towers being taken out was a misdirection. Building 7, you see, had CIA offices in them, and all the records within them destroyed with the hit, so there must have been some massive data they were trying to eradicate in a huge cover-up. It also had SEC offices in them, and a bunch of anti-Wall Sreet cases suddenly were dropped or delayed when the evidence stored in Building 7 went up in smoke.

Oh okay, well I've never heard the Secret Jew Banker Attacking the SEC theory, but it's automatically more believable to me because then George W Bush had nothing to do with it, and the most outlandish part of any of those others is the Bush administration being competent at anything involving secret intelligence.

E: Really anything except not awarding their buddies giant no-bid contracts

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 15, 2015

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

VitalSigns posted:

Oh okay, well I've never heard the Secret Jew Banker Attacking the SEC theory, but it's automatically more believable to me because then George W Bush had nothing to do with it, and the most outlandish part of any of those others is the Bush administration being competent at anything involving secret intelligence.

E: Really anything except not awarding their buddies giant no-bid contracts

Even then it would've been a stupid as all hell plan for one reason: the insurance didn't cover anywhere close to the WTC's actual value. That was the biggest reason why they pressed for two separate claims: they wanted to minimize the losses from buying the property up right before it got wrecked as best they could.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

Even then it would've been a stupid as all hell plan for one reason: the insurance didn't cover anywhere close to the WTC's actual value. That was the biggest reason why they pressed for two separate claims: they wanted to minimize the losses from buying the property up right before it got wrecked as best they could.

That's why they covered it up, they didn't want anyone finding out how incompetent they were. Checkmate. :smug::respek::tinfoil:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

This past 9/11 was the best day.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Lord Hydronium posted:

Whoa, Building 7 was behind the plot the entire time?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

frankenfreak posted:

Sounds like the plot of Die Hard (WTC) 7.

What if we set Die Hard in, get this, an office building

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

LordSaturn posted:

I'm the budgie, finally free on Australian soil.

Jerusalem posted:

The budgie :vince:

The bulk of this thread seems to have totally missed this detail, under the avalanche of Tony Is Fired cartoons, but it's nice to see that some of us know what a budgerigar looks like.

EDIT: I can't actually see timg tags at work, so I didn't notice N4E wasn't quoting the same cartoon.

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 15, 2015

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

He should include these in his newest coffee table book:

Bad Metaphors with Dinosaurs
by Michael Ramirez

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Even ignoring the awful metaphor, the perspective on this is hosed. Is ISIS-zilla part of the road? Why are all the buildings at different angles if we're looking down from above? Is the building that Mickey Mouse Obama standing on actually in low earth orbit?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

LordSaturn posted:

The bulk of this thread seems to have totally missed this detail, under the avalanche of Tony Is Fired cartoons, but it's nice to see that some of us know what a budgerigar looks like.

Could someone explain this?

I don't get it.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Redwolf posted:

Its a fancy top hat because is is really rich elitist, its a tin can because he and his party turned our planned national broadband network into a cheap and nasty husk of what it would have been.

That's a loving great visual gag. Pope is fantastic.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Crain posted:

Could someone explain this?

I don't get it.

http://www.budgysmuggler.com.au/

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

LordSaturn posted:

EDIT: I can't actually see timg tags at work, so I didn't notice N4E wasn't quoting the same cartoon.

It's more that in the US, it's not called a budgie smuggler. Just a Speedo.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Party Boat posted:

That's a loving great visual gag. Pope is fantastic.

Two other details I've noticed, which I'm not clear on the significance of because I don't know Australian politics:

* The string from the budgie-smugglers have formed a noose around Turnbull's neck
* The budgie-smugglers are also swearing, possibly at the press, possibly at Tony, but I think there's an eye and they're being angry at Turnbull

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Warcabbit posted:

It's more that in the US, it's not called a budgie smuggler. Just a Speedo.

It would have to be a parakeet smuggler over on this side of the world but we will also accept banana hammock.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

dijon du jour posted:

He headed to project to build the National broadband network, which is so poo poo Pope symbolizes it as cans and string.

Such good use of symbols

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

So, kneejerk reaction, don't need you to get too deep into Australian politics, but. Is the new PM gonna be better, worse or equal to Abbott? 'cuz I like when Pope draws contemptuous cartoons.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

pkfan2004 posted:

So, kneejerk reaction, don't need you to get too deep into Australian politics, but. Is the new PM gonna be better, worse or equal to Abbott? 'cuz I like when Pope draws contemptuous cartoons.
From what I've read, it's basically like if the US had gone from Bush to McCain. Still conservative and things will suck, but it'll be like we're on earth and not some planet where man evolved from neocon ape.

Avenida
Jul 14, 2015

I've been pulling all nighters for a week. My sense of humor was one of the first things to go.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
A "budgie" is a bird and not just a euphamism for "cock" which is also bird related.

I learned somethong today from a political cartoon. Also, gonna be wondering what the human race is doing with birds.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

nm posted:

A "budgie" is a bird and not just a euphamism for "cock" which is also bird related.

I learned somethong today from a political cartoon. Also, gonna be wondering what the human race is doing with birds.

It's called a "budgie smuggler" because if your package is big it looks like you're keeping a bird in your pants :ssh:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

nm posted:

I learned somethong today from a political cartoon.

:colbert: You clearly already knew. In your heart.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Eschers Basement posted:

Two other details I've noticed, which I'm not clear on the significance of because I don't know Australian politics:

* The string from the budgie-smugglers have formed a noose around Turnbull's neck
* The budgie-smugglers are also swearing, possibly at the press, possibly at Tony, but I think there's an eye and they're being angry at Turnbull

The rather moderate-ish Turnbull will be hampered by those in the Right-wing faction of the Liberal Party (which corresponds to the Republican Party, because :australia:), who were rather close to Tony.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Finally caught up with the thread, and I have a question about the title.

If sodomy is my god, then does that make it...

the God o' me?

:haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Agreeing with everyone else, this is good

• Locked thread