Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Johnny Truant posted:

That moment where your IT department says they restored all your accessioned freezer sample databases only to find out that they restored everything... but only up to four months ago. Oh, and the restoration was spotty so they recommend a full audit on all our samples. :suicide:

Damnnnnn that sucks. Are you working with human samples (I typically see the word accessioned used by our bio banking/cancer research customers)? Hopefully not because if you that's going to be extra brutal. How many freezers/samples are we talking about here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerstorung
Jun 27, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

(quote block)
My position has a trailing number; that number changed twice now ("promotion") way ahead of when some of the more senior autoclave bitches got theirs in their timeline. Literally no change in duties or expectations, which would be great if I loved being an autoclave bitch (I don't).

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Lyon posted:

Damnnnnn that sucks. Are you working with human samples (I typically see the word accessioned used by our bio banking/cancer research customers)? Hopefully not because if you that's going to be extra brutal. How many freezers/samples are we talking about here?

Yup, human samples. Preliminarily I've only seen major errors in three freezers, but sample wise? Could potentially be in the thousands. :negative:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

knox_harrington posted:

Umm, so actually this turned out not to be the final step and I have a third interview with one of the doctors at the company. It's a long process! Luckily I am now dealing with them directly rather than through the recruiter so that's a plus.

They're offering me the job! Aaaargh!

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I need to make diazomethane today. RIP

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

So speaking of safety incidents, this one takes the cake. We had to evacuate for a fire. Here's why.

Our applications people were working on a pump that circulates an epoxy coating for spraying. The pump was seized due to being idle for a couple months. They first tried to loosen it with a lot of acetone to dissolve any dried material. It's a 100% epoxy material, so it doesn't dry out, but we won't hold that against them. They were smart, and used a large tub to catch the acetone that they washed this pump with so that the acetone wouldn't spill everywhere. However, the acetone didn't work. Their next attempt was to use an acetylene torch to heat up the material in the pump and lower its viscosity. This attempt was successful. So successful that a drop of material oozed out of the release valve, got ignited by the acetylene torch, and dropped into the catch-pan with ~2 gallons of acetone in it. Every fire crew in the county turned up because we're registered with them as having large amounts of flammable chemicals. Fortunately, the fire was contained and the fire crews were disappointed by the small scale of the fire.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

They fired up an acetylene torch within ten miles' radius of an open container of two gallons of acetone??

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

RadioPassive posted:

They fired up an acetylene torch within ten miles' radius of an open container of two gallons of acetone??
They had many opportunities for rational thought that would have lead them to abort. But they pressed onward. So, yes.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Sundae posted:

Oh hey - sorry, I missed this post. Long story short, Lilly in any laboratory role is pretty damned good.

<snip>

Well turns out their director hit me up directly and told me to apply. It's a senior R&D role with no relocation, I was talking to them for a few months and am currently working at a smaller genomics company but I'll go ahead and check it out. Thanks for the input!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Bastard Tetris posted:

Well turns out their director hit me up directly and told me to apply. It's a senior R&D role with no relocation, I was talking to them for a few months and am currently working at a smaller genomics company but I'll go ahead and check it out. Thanks for the input!

FYI -- "No relocation" often means "that's our starting point for negotiations." Twice now, companies have told me positions had no relocation available and then post-offer, suddenly had it available when I commented that there was no way I could take it without relo. Of course, that sure as gently caress didn't work out in my favor in the end, but hey! :haw:

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Sundae posted:

FYI -- "No relocation" often means "that's our starting point for negotiations." Twice now, companies have told me positions had no relocation available and then post-offer, suddenly had it available when I commented that there was no way I could take it without relo. Of course, that sure as gently caress didn't work out in my favor in the end, but hey! :haw:

Oh I meant it's six miles from my house :v:

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Bastard Tetris posted:

Negotiate for a bike. :)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Bastard Tetris posted:

Ahh, well that's a different matter. :v:

On a different note, I just received a call from an HR recruiter at Genentech asking me to apply for a certain position at their main HQ in South San Francisco. Is anyone here familiar enough with the area to tell me whether the ungodly expensive costs I'm seeing for the area are real? I've heard it's crazy costly to rent anything, but $2.5K for studios is just... it's Manhattan level insane, so I want to make sure I'm not just looking in completely the wrong places.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Sundae posted:

On a different note, I just received a call from an HR recruiter at Genentech asking me to apply for a certain position at their main HQ in South San Francisco. Is anyone here familiar enough with the area to tell me whether the ungodly expensive costs I'm seeing for the area are real? I've heard it's crazy costly to rent anything, but $2.5K for studios is just... it's Manhattan level insane, so I want to make sure I'm not just looking in completely the wrong places.

It all depends on how far you're willing to commute from. East Bay areas are cheaper than South Bay

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Spikes32 posted:

It all depends on how far you're willing to commute from. East Bay areas are cheaper than South Bay

I'm willing to commute 15 min max. gently caress cars and traffic. My current commute (although the job itself is kind of hellish) is a glorious 8 minutes, or 20 on a bike.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Sundae posted:

On a different note, I just received a call from an HR recruiter at Genentech asking me to apply for a certain position at their main HQ in South San Francisco.

Gyahahaha, it's happening! Let me know when you're in town to give the PhRMA annual keynote, we'll do lunch.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Sundae posted:

I'm willing to commute 15 min max. gently caress cars and traffic. My current commute (although the job itself is kind of hellish) is a glorious 8 minutes, or 20 on a bike.

In which case yes those prices you're seeing are accurate. South San Francisco is crazy expensive. Try and find out where there are van commute pickups, and find a spot near there? Commuter vans are better because you can work/read/sleep while someone else drives.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I had a relative that worked for Genetech, and they lived in Millbrae (about 10 min south of the airport), it was a short drive or they could walk to the BART station to get work. I believe they were paying around $3K for a 2 bedroom apartment, but this was ~5 years ago. Apparently, Genetech will pay your fare and give you money if you don't drive in due to lack of parking space (or at least they did at the time).

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Sundae posted:

If you don't like cars and traffic then the bay area is not for you. I grew up around there and would only move back if about a dozen other places didn't work out.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Sundae posted:

I have lived in a bunch of different cities in the SF bay area. South San Francisco and San Bruno (right next to South San Francisco), are the cheapest cities if you don't want to be driving from somewhere crappy in the east bay. Coincidently they are also the closest to all of the biotech stuff there, so your commute would be really short. I lived in SSF 10 years ago and paid $1600 for a 2 bed 1 bath house. I don't know exactly how much rent would be now, but I would guess you could get a 2 bed/1bath or maybe 2 bed 2 bath for $1800-$2500. Currently I live about 14 miles south of SSF, my commute is typically 20-35 minutes depending on traffic, so not too bad. Depending where you live on the peninsula (or in SF), it is very possible to take public transportation. I can walk to a train station in 5 minutes, and then walk a half mile to work from the stop in SSF. Also, San Bruno has my favorite $/quality sushi place.

A simple list of non SF cities ~ within 15 miles of SSF:
Brisbane - Don't really know much about this city other than it is on a hill, cheaper than some places, more expensive than others.
Daly City - I know the least about this city because I never go there, but I think it is pretty cheap.
Pacifica - I know a bunch of people there and it is cheap and relatively nice, but whenever someone asks me to go there I am annoyed because it is on the other side of some mountains and there is no convenient way to go there from my house. It is not too bad going to SSF though.
SSF - Lived there a few years and liked it. Cheap for the area, though from what I hear schools are kind of crappy if you care about that.
San Bruno -- Essentially the same as SSF.
Millbrae - Also lived there. Mostly expensive upper middle-class city. Might be able to find something around El Camino for $2500.
Burlingame - Too expensive.
San Mateo- Biggest city on the peninsula, ranges from cheap to expensive. I lived in one of the cheaper areas for a while and it seemed fine.
Foster City - Kind of expensive landfill city, the blandest of suburbs.
Belmont - Expensive upper middle class suburb. Not as bland as Foster City because it has a hill.
San Carlos - Same as Belmont, but less bland since it has a downtown.
Redwood City - Has cheap really crappy areas, also has areas that are expensive without feeling as nice as more expensive cities nearby, not sure why.

I know a lot of companies will give tours of residential areas as part of their interview package trip if they fly someone out, could always try and get an interview for a free trip if nothing else.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Sep 1, 2015

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Thanks for the info. We'll see how it goes when/if interviews occur. :)

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I interviewed at Google Life Sciences, Natera, and Counsyl and the housing situation was a major turnoff. I would be losing money if I didn't go for a 50% raise. Housing and commuting is chump-level for anyone that doesn't take a helicopter to work.

Also my wife and I are probably doing the kid thing soon and juggling all that poo poo and child care sounds awful.

Bastard Tetris fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Sep 3, 2015

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

Also my wife and I are probably doing the kid thing soon and juggling all that poo poo and child care sounds awful.

That's one nice thing -- subsidized on-site daycare at work. Also, fingers crossed here (and all the more reason I won't get the job), but comparable positions to the one they're recruiting for represent a 100-150% salary increase compared to my current job. Yeah... I'll stay in pharma for another trip on the merry-go-round for that kind of money.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Here's to selling out :v:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Being hungover and making gallons upon gallons of paraformaldehyde is awful :suicide:

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
I recall one awful day during my honours year where I spent the day feeding all sorts of volatiles and noxious materials into a HPLC, inhaling vapours, then went out to see a band and drunk heavily. Didn't make it through the whole gig, just staggered back to the lab and fell asleep on the floor. Woke up with a vicious hangover.

And that's why analysis rules.

nonathlon fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Sep 14, 2015

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

outlier posted:

just staggered back to the lab and fell asleep on the floor.

Ha, that's pretty great. I've been trying to convince my lab for the ~2 years I've been here to invest in a little folding cot for when we get called in at all hours of the night, but no dice yet.

Completely unrelated, but does anyone have any experience with mold? More specifically my lab has had issues for a loooong time now about mold growing inside refrigerators we keep fixed tissue in, the boxes we keep the tissue in, the bags we keep the tissue in inside the box, and, yes, even on the tissue itself in a glycerol/DMSO cryoprotectant. We currently bleach the boxes and bags, scrub them with a brush, then give them a water rinse before going back into a cryoprotectant until we rinse again, then bag them up in fresh cryoprotectant, and we still are having issues.

I mentioned it to my supervisor the other day, but I will handle upwards of 50 brains a day in various states of freshness/fixation, and that doesn't bug me, but then I see a giant moldblob and it's like :barf:

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Truant posted:

Ha, that's pretty great. I've been trying to convince my lab for the ~2 years I've been here to invest in a little folding cot for when we get called in at all hours of the night, but no dice yet.

Completely unrelated, but does anyone have any experience with mold? More specifically my lab has had issues for a loooong time now about mold growing inside refrigerators we keep fixed tissue in, the boxes we keep the tissue in, the bags we keep the tissue in inside the box, and, yes, even on the tissue itself in a glycerol/DMSO cryoprotectant. We currently bleach the boxes and bags, scrub them with a brush, then give them a water rinse before going back into a cryoprotectant until we rinse again, then bag them up in fresh cryoprotectant, and we still are having issues.

I mentioned it to my supervisor the other day, but I will handle upwards of 50 brains a day in various states of freshness/fixation, and that doesn't bug me, but then I see a giant moldblob and it's like :barf:

Uhg, mold is a bitch. We got rid of one fridge because it was too infected and we couldn't keep it from re-growing.

I don't know how storing brains works, but do you need cryoprotectant if they're not being frozen? Maybe there's another storage solution that would be less prone to mold growth?

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Get facilities to gas the gently caress out of it, then use sticky pads on the floor of every ingress point.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Epitope posted:

Uhg, mold is a bitch. We got rid of one fridge because it was too infected and we couldn't keep it from re-growing.

I don't know how storing brains works, but do you need cryoprotectant if they're not being frozen? Maybe there's another storage solution that would be less prone to mold growth?

We're looking into alternate storage methods, but for the foreseeable future we're going to be using the DMSO/glycerol mixture. Next time I pull a brain that's just :barf:-worthy I'll try to snap a photo so you can see how whack it gets. I never knew anaerobic mold would really love already fixed tissue. I don't even want to think about having to get rid of fridges though, there are some of ours that are reaching the more-mold-than-fridge point too quickly...

Bastard Tetris posted:

Get facilities to gas the gently caress out of it, then use sticky pads on the floor of every ingress point.

Pretty sure I'm going to get to be the lucky sonofagun who, eventually, will do a deep clean of our fridges(hooray :toot:), but what do you mean sticky pads on the floor of the ingress points? Do you mean like weather sealing things, like what you put under your door to keep a draft from entering?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Johnny Truant posted:

but what do you mean sticky pads on the floor of the ingress points? Do you mean like weather sealing things, like what you put under your door to keep a draft from entering?

I think he means those pads that you place down like a mat in front of all the doors and it's like walking on upside down duct tape. They have removable layers when the top most layer becomes too dirty.

Phosphene
Aug 11, 2008
I'M NOT TRYING TO GET BIG AND BULKY OKAY WE ALL FAIL DIFFERENT GOALS
Hey mold buddy. We just had our walk in torn out and had our cleaning policies completely revamped. Guess who had to clean out the mold covered fridge! (You're welcome)

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Best suggestions I have for mold are using sporklenz or bleach, letting it sit, doing it again, cleaning again with ipa. And then continuing to do this deep clean on a monthly basis till the problem goes away. Is there anyway to seal off the brains any better so there is no way for the mold to get in?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

outlier posted:

I recall one awful day during my honours year where I spent the day feeding all sorts of volatiles and noxious materials into a HPLC, inhaling vapours, then went out to see a band and drunk heavily. Didn't make it through the whole gig, just staggered back to the lab and fell asleep on the floor. Woke up with a vicious hangover.

And that's why analysis rules.

Reminds me of a story one of the theoretical chemistry professors at my grad school (a pretty well-respected guy in his field) told me about why he became a theoretical chemist. When he was in college, lab safety was still at the point where you would pipette by mouth. One day he put too much effort in pippetting concentrated nitric acid :gonk:

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
Trying to relocate back to Kansas City (stuck in central KS right now), wish me luck on the search.

drat pharma is bad there. Real bad.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

spacemang_spliff posted:

Trying to relocate back to Kansas City (stuck in central KS right now), wish me luck on the search.

drat pharma is bad there. Real bad.

Places pharma is not bad:
San Francisco
Boston
San Diego?
NJ if you like giant companies that are constantly laying off.

Not sure why you would work anywhere else unless you like moving every time you get laid off.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 16, 2015

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Pain of Mind posted:

Places pharma is not bad:
San Francisco
Boston
San Diego?
NJ if you like giant companies that are constantly laying off.

Not sure why you would work anywhere else unless you like moving every time you get laid off.

I've heard that Raleigh isn't that bad for pharma either, aside from being stuck in Raleigh and working in pharma.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
There's a decent amount of stuff in the greater Philadelphia area, not that any of them wanted to hire me (and you could probably just lump it in with NJ on your list).

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Plus then you have to live near loving Philadelphia. The Fort Washington area in particular is miserable to drive in, and I wish a slow, painful death on whoever designed Germantown Road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Seems like Seattle has some places as well. A couple people have recently left my company to work in there.