Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
big corporate culture isn't necessarily bad. my experience at a big company that talks about that poo poo is that as groan worthy as it can be at they end of the day you probably get treated better than at a small company. results vary tho. i'm worried about moving from a huge corp. to a small company right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i've found at small companies you get a lot of autonomy, because the team is usually too small to have more than one or two developers attached to any one project. you can also work directly with stakeholders because the corporate structure is so flat, which is good and bad (communication is way better, but instead of one boss you may have a dozen). ymmv, my sample size is like three companies.

i'm glad i did it for a while because you can learn a whole lot real fast, but i'm definitely ready for something a bit more structured.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

big corporate culture isn't necessarily bad. my experience at a big company that talks about that poo poo is that as groan worthy as it can be at they end of the day you probably get treated better than at a small company. results vary tho. i'm worried about moving from a huge corp. to a small company right now.

i work in a small team, relatively disconnected from the parent org, quite disconnected from the big mega co

it isn't so much working in a big company or a small one, it's working in a loosely coupled system, which is a lot easier when you're small

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

whatever system we have is horrendously, offensively, ludicrously bad

de rigeur is every single program is destined to fail, fail gloriously, everyone knows this, in some cases it will not come to fruition for multiple years, but it's fine

i dislike my job.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

focal ischemia posted:

Lot's of jobs in Wellington and Auckland for intermediate and senior positions though.

are they really hiring for intermediate and senior positions, or are they advertising for intermediate and senior positions and then saying "we can't find anyone with the qualifications we need, we have to import people from abroad"

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
our company has a ton of people but seem to be more like small teams of 5-10 people. We requested a VM and deployed our own postgres server on it just last week.

it feels like my last job at a small company except getting paid more, a real 401k, and stocks with value instead of a founder's hopes and dreams

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

eschaton posted:

are they really hiring for intermediate and senior positions, or are they advertising for intermediate and senior positions and then saying "we can't find anyone with the qualifications we need, we have to import people from abroad"

More importantly, how can I be one of these imported people? I've had enough of Japan's poo poo.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
it must be pretty easy since 80% of my coworkers are imported

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Got an email today, here is the subject verbatim:
$PROJECT_NAME - Build # $BUILD_NUMBER - $BUILD_STATUS!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

gonadic io posted:

lol

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
i have an interview tomorrow and man am i impostering hard

this loving suuuuuucks

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

gonadic io posted:

looks like someone overescaped their jenkins vars

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

looks like someone overescaped their jenkins vars

i miss jenkins :(

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Man, I just don't *get* C++ or OOP. I'm not even sure which. There's nothing you can say to help me :(

I've got a deadline in a few hours and I've been holding back everybody else. Feels lovely. Just wanted to E/N post, thanks guys.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

meatpotato posted:

Man, I just don't *get* C++ or OOP. I'm not even sure which. There's nothing you can say to help me :(
programming is hard. it's unlike anything you've done before. there's no shame in finding it difficult.

if your classmates seem to find it easier, it's because they've done other, similar stuff previously, and they can transfer their experiences.

meatpotato posted:

I've got a deadline in a few hours and I've been holding back everybody else. Feels lovely.
that said, if you've been struggling all this time and haven't reached out to your teammates and asked for help, that's on you

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 15, 2015

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
(well unless your teammates are assholes, in which case they're getting their comeuppance by being held back)

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

I'm employed :smith:

My teammates are nice and help as much as they can but we have a rushed schedule and I've been bothering them too much anyway. I usually do embedded stuff in C, but that's about it. Now I'm writing a bunch of classes for a network protocol in babby's first C++11 that are supposed to work on both embedded and real-computer systems. If anything it's been a real eye-opener 'cause I was starting to get comfortable with my C stuff.

BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug

meatpotato posted:

I've got a deadline in a few hours and I've been holding back everybody else. Feels lovely. Just wanted to E/N post, thanks guys.

dude it's probably the oop. i'm like babby's first hobby programmer so i'm sure it was easier for many but it took me several different books and hearing it outlined/explained several ways before i really started to "get" oop. it just seems like a difficult concept, especially if you already have experience in the procedural stuff

even harder to do a new language and that at the same time i'd bet. don't be too hard on yourself!

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

meatpotato posted:

oop isn't as complicated as it gets made out to be, but it can be a bit weird if you're not used to it. here's kind of how i think about it:

- your language provides a set of generic tools (primitive types and standard library functions)
- objects let you build your own tools that are specific to whatever problem you're trying to solve out of those generic tools (classes usually)
- now you can write your application code using your objects instead of the language's generic tools, which makes the intent of your code clearer vs. working directly with the lower-level stuff

there's obviously more to it than that, but thinking about it as just building a domain specific language vs. thinking about the implementation details might help.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I had a hard time trying to understand OOP, and when it finally clicked I kinda had the feel that I didn't like it that much...

with that said, C++ is special in how every detail has the potential to be specially convoluted. you should've played with C# or Java before tackling C++ imo

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

oop takes your functions and structs and says "these should probably go together most of the time"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

on the other hand, templates take your functions and your structs, throw them up in the air, and puke 500-line errors all over you because you forgot a comma

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Bloody posted:

oop takes your functions and structs and says "these should probably go together most of the time"

Understood, I sometimes write C like that for device drivers and it can work well in my simple mind. I even know how a vtable works (yeah, I know that's not impressive) it's just understanding how to use things like inheritance to my advantage, not disadvantage in a design that are hard.

I'm pissed off, I don't know poo poo about good OO architecture so here I am refucking the interfaces and relationships of these same objects for the Nth time in the last week because it "doesn't feel right" or because I didn't realize it needed to also do X and that screws everything up.

Yes I have Meyers' and the GoF books. No, I don't have time to read AND understand enough in time without an adderall prescription.

My co-workers are leaving me in the dust, even the new hire straight out of school (I've been here two years). Though I can poo poo on him because he doesn't bat an eye about committing code that causes dozens of compiler warnings (using int32_t as a pointer, wtf) or having a bunch of excessively-scoped (even global) variables all over his sources.

Goddammit I just want to quit this tech bullshit, the IoT can go straight to hell for all I care.

/rant

Hunter2 Thompson fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 15, 2015

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

meatpotato posted:

Understood, I sometimes write C like that for device drivers and it can work well in my simple mind. I even know how a vtable works (yeah, I know that's not impressive) it's just understanding how to use things like inheritance to my advantage, not disadvantage in a design that are hard.

I'm pissed off, I don't know poo poo about good OO architecture so here I am refucking the interfaces and relationships of these same objects for the Nth time in the last week because it "doesn't feel right" or because I didn't realize it needed to also do X and that screws everything up.

Yes I have Meyers' and the GoF books. No, I don't have time to read AND understand enough in time without an adderall prescription.

My co-workers are leaving me in the dust, even the new hire straight out of school (I've been here two years). Though I can poo poo on him because he doesn't bat an eye about committing code that causes dozens of compiler warnings (using int32_t as a pointer, wtf) or having a bunch of excessively-scoped (even global) variables all over his sources.

Goddammit I just want to quit this tech bullshit, the IoT can go straight to hell for all I care.

/rant

It's OK to let code not feel right, often I find that a new use for an object or design decision doesn't quite fit, but that's OK. If your code models the problem domain perfectly and without rough edges you're either brilliant or your problem is of a very specific type.

Even simple problems can be difficult to solve in a way that feels right, see FizzBuzz

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

meatpotato posted:

/rant

Does your company do code reviews? Design reviews?

I'm assuming not, which is unfortunate. Going through the process of saying what you actually want to do and having someone whose "done poo poo" look it over is immensely helpful. it also gives new hires (like you) a reference for how to plan big poo poo. code reviews are helpful for refining your day to day coding style, as well as providing extra eyes.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wish my "code" was "reviewed" if you know what I mean

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
wish your "posts" weren't "viewed"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
groan

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Soricidus posted:

wish your "posts" weren't "viewed"

gotta check the colour and consistency of your posts though, just in case!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

meatpotato posted:

the best book I've found for introducing OO was the first half of NeXT's "Object-Oriented Programming and the Objective-C Language" — the first half was all about OO and decomposition and stuff like that, was only a few dozen pages, and I saw it get a lot of people over the hump even without bothering with the Objective-C language parts

the successor was split into two books, the first "Object-Oriented Programming with Objective-C" still doesn't have much Objective-C stuff in it and has generally preserved the good things about the original book. it'll be worth taking some time out for the 30-60 minutes needed to read the parts on OO concepts.

also, the book was originally written mostly for people with some C/UNIX experience, which it sounds like you have, so there's still a lot of "this is kind of like ___ in C, but with ___ too."

eschaton fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 15, 2015

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I mostly don't use inheritance because it is frequently the wrong tool

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

if you make two or three distinct things and realize a lot of your code looks the same now you might want to consider inheritance

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
"Rule of three" is a pretty good rule.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Bloody posted:

last Friday I wrote my first abstract class. it lasted around 25 minutes before i thought "wtf am I doing" and changed it to an interface and a couple of static methods

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

CPColin posted:

"Rule of three" is a pretty good rule.

I go by the "Rule of two" because two copies of the same code have been more than enough to gently caress me over in the past.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Bloody posted:

I use it a lot because I am a frequently-wrong tool

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

today, i extracted an interface from a class because i wanted to stub in a mostly-the-same-but-different-enough version of the class over it without getting rid of the original one. it leaves most of the methods undefined and i don't care worksformewontfix

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Bloody posted:

today, i extracted an interface from a class because i wanted to stub in a mostly-the-same-but-different-enough version of the class over it without getting rid of the original one. it leaves most of the methods undefined and i don't care worksformewontfix

if your language has first-class functions, just pass that poo poo like it's a fat blunt and you're a good friend

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

eschaton posted:

the best book I've found for introducing OO was the first half of NeXT's "Object-Oriented Programming and the Objective-C Language" — the first half was all about OO and decomposition and stuff like that, was only a few dozen pages, and I saw it get a lot of people over the hump even without bothering with the Objective-C language parts

the successor was split into two books, the first "Object-Oriented Programming with Objective-C" still doesn't have much Objective-C stuff in it and has generally preserved the good things about the original book. it'll be worth taking some time out for the 30-60 minutes needed to read the parts on OO concepts.

also, the book was originally written mostly for people with some C/UNIX experience, which it sounds like you have, so there's still a lot of "this is kind of like ___ in C, but with ___ too."

i remember when I first "got" OO and it was a real :weed: moment.

ue4 is nice for oo coz things are objects i lIKE IT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
YOSPOS Terrible programmers are good friends :)

I printed out the Apple and NeXT manuals on my work's dime. I'm going to roll them into a huge spliff and smoke until I understand.

• Locked thread