Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

drgitlin posted:

I actually think the force feedback on the TX is stronger than the Fanatec (with both set to 100%). But the rim on the TX is too narrow. However, with the auto clutch, and Fanatec pedals (courtesy of the basherboards CPX) it's a pretty great combo. And much less frustrating than troubleshooting the Fanatec CSW. But if you have the cash for the whole Fanatec set up, it is totes amaze, as the kids say.

I've got Old Man's Wrist Syndrome so I actually found the TX to be a little too aggressive in the FFB at 100%, and tweaking the settings onboard the wheel remains a mystery to me so I didn't tinker with it a lot. It's definitely a beast but maybe not quite as communicative in the curb/grass feel surface differences as the Fanatec. Still a great product aside from the tiny rim.

I had no trouble at all setting up the CSW. I can check which firmware I have but it's from about 3 weeks ago. As for the procedure with the Xbone, (based on what I did with the previous Fanatecs on the 360) I turn the wheel on, then the console, launch the game, then if I need to turn on a controller for headset use, I just use the wheel stick/buttons to go into the 'wheel/controller' settings on the options page, and then back out without doing anything, and that returns shift control to the wheel's shifters.

Norns posted:

I'm fine paying 200 dollars less for pedals right now. I've been using the stock G27 pedals on PC and those have been okay.

Clubsport pedals really are the hugest upgrade of any of these parts from what you're currently using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

So todays the day where everyone gets this game... Hopefully Turn 10 gives us more hopper options!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Looks like there's a 1-2 month long wait for the Basherboard CPX. I went ahead and reserved one, but have to wait for that to ship before grabbing the pedals.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I've done the first 3 volumes in single player, and have only raced on Le Mans Bugatti ONCE!

Forza 6 GOTY

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

that's still more times than i ever, ever want to race that horrible race track

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
What's even worse is that I was in a multiplayer hopper and people were actually voting for it.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I've done the first 3 volumes in single player, and have only raced on Le Mans Bugatti ONCE!

Forza 6 GOTY

I'm baffled as to why that stupid track even keeps showing up in Forza, since it's neither fun nor interesting to drive with any class of car.

Even the newer tracks that get a lot of grief for being really derivative (Bahrain) have at least some sections that are fun to drive, and pretty much every other track/layout the game works well with at least one type of car, but Bugatti just manages to be a different kind of awkwardly annoying for different cars.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Just how lovely is the Bugatti Circuit?

Well, when Papyrus was making Grand Prix Legends back in 1998, they obviously wanted to make an authentic simulation of the 1967 F1 season, which would have meant having the French GP at Bugatti. Papyrus went "gently caress that poo poo" and included Rouen-Les-Essarts (the venue for the 1968 race and an infinitely better track) instead because they knew no one would enjoy driving the Bugatti Circuit.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

WTF only four tracks with wet conditions? I wanted to race Bathurst in the wet. gently caress you Turn 10

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Fort-za

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No ones talking about this game is it bad or something

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Abu Dave posted:

We're all busy playing it I reckon. It's pretty good. Pisses all over Forza 5.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

It's pretty drat good.

That said -- I've never messed with tuning in any these games (I upgrade my car, but don't know enough about tuning to dive in to it.) Are there any general absolute beginner tips for beginners? Are there some settings that are a safe assumption to be an improvement over the stock tune for most cars?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Abu Dave posted:

It's a good rear end Forza game.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is the cards system as dumb as it sounds

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Asnorban posted:

It's pretty drat good.

That said -- I've never messed with tuning in any these games (I upgrade my car, but don't know enough about tuning to dive in to it.) Are there any general absolute beginner tips for beginners? Are there some settings that are a safe assumption to be an improvement over the stock tune for most cars?
This is from Forza 5, but I've been using it as a baseline for Forza 6 and it's working pretty well.
http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn10_postst14462_Three-Minute-Tune.aspx

befuddler, on the forzamotorsport.net forums posted:

Build your car and write down weight of vehicle and weight distribution %.
Tires: 28/28 (after entering all tuning settings, run telemetry to set hot tire psi in the 32.0-33.0 range.)
Transmission: Set final drive to desired speed if it’s adjustable.
Camber: Stack default on top of -2.0/-2.0 (ex: -1.5/-.7 becomes -3.5/-2.7)
Toe: 0/0 0/0
Caster: 7.0
Roll Bars: Divide default in half
Springs: Divide car weight in half and multiply by weight distribution. Result is
Front spring setting. Subtract front spring setting from half weight of car.
Result is rear spring setting. (ex: 2000/2=1000. 1000x.46=460, this is front
spring setting. 1000-460=540, this is rear spring setting).
Ride Height: As low as possible without bottoming out.
Rebound: Stack .5 on top of default (ex: 8.9/9.4 becomes 9.4/9.9)
Bump: Multiply default by .3 (ex: 6.1/5.8 becomes 1.8/1.7)
Aero: Full down force, move front and rear all the way to the right
Brakes: 40/110
Differential: RWD 9/27 FWD 33/0 AWD 33/0 60/60 80
From there you will be able to find out what tweeks each of your cars needs. If you know your car is doing something (understeering, oversteering, swapping ends under braking, etc) but don't know how to fix it, post a question here and someone will help you. For the brakes, I'd say leave them at default or whatever you normally set them to. If you're used to default (50/100) and you set them to 40/110 it will gently caress you up, and won't make you faster even if you do figure out. Some people set their brake pressure high, some set it low. This setting is really just up to personal preference. Brake bias can help prevent a car's rear end hanging out from braking, or help turn in, but if you don't know how to set it, leaving it at 50 isn't the worst idea.

Abu Dave posted:

You don't even have to use the mod cards if you don't want to. I used them during the tutorial, and havent touched them since. I'll probably use the ones that gain extra experience and credits when I do some of the endurance races though.

GentlemanofLeisure fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 15, 2015

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Abu Dave posted:

Totally optional, but I've been using it for the exp and money boosts.

Sure, I'll take 20% extra credits for not using the TCS I already wasn't using.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

You Am I posted:

WTF only four tracks with wet conditions? I wanted to race Bathurst in the wet. gently caress you Turn 10

Spa, 'Ring, leMans, Brands Hatch, Sebring, Silverstone.
There might be another one, but there is more then four. Not Mount Panorama though.

Abu Dave posted:

Nah its cool and good. Everyone must be playing instead of posting. Great selection of tracks and cars, to go along with the great graphics and physics of FM5. UI still has some issues.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Asnorban posted:

It's pretty drat good.

Put on race brakes, springs, front anti-roll bars, rear anti-roll bars, and differential. These are all of the tunable parts. If you have room to raise the PI more without going into the next class change the tire compound until you are close to your PI target, then add any upgrades you want until you're to your target. The priority of upgrades should be the remaining platform and handling upgrades (chassis stiffness and weight reduction) if you have enough PI to spare. Then tire width. Only go for engine parts if you have lots of PI to spare after the handling upgrades. Note, messing with camshafts and cylinders will change your redline which means you'll need to upgrade your transmission and tune the gearing which is more in depth than I can get in this post.

Then use an iPhone or android app called forzatune. The app will ask how much the car weighs, what percentage of weight is at the front of the car, which wheels drive the car (front, rear, or all), and how wide the tires are.

After you enter this data in it will tell you what you should set all the tunable parts to.

Norns posted:

Totally optional, but I've been using it for the exp and money boosts.

Sure, I'll take 20% extra credits for not using the TCS I already wasn't using.

Exactly what I've been doing. I haven't been using mods that provide extra grip because I don't want to get used to having it. The3 worst thing would be if I only know how to drive with the grip mods, then I race with goons online and I'm all over the place because I don't know how to drive with the standard grip. Basically the same thing as if you play horizon 2 all the time and get back into the FM series.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 15, 2015

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I do love Forza. This may push me over the edge to get a Xbone.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

WienerDog posted:

UI still has some issues.

I am basically an old man, and my TV is not that big, and gently caress me the font is absolutely minuscule in places, particularly with tuning-related values :wal:

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
My feelings exactly. I have an HDTV but it's only 32" and the fonts are miniscule. UI is definitely the biggest issue left.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Actually the biggest issue in Forza 6 is that it does not have the Bricklin SV-1.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I've barely scratched the surface but I have to say FM6 is amazing. I expect it will only get better.

For example, I thought I would despise racing in the wet. Quite to the contrary, I have discovered it is gorgeous and amazing. I find myself looking forward to it!

Now, I wonder if I will feel the same way about night racing? I know Yaz Marina corkscrew was much more compelling in the dark.

"Challenge" completed, time to tune a new car and make a new livery!

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 15, 2015

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Even driven hard I feel like my Skyline should've lasted more than 30 miles on a tank of gas

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Even driven hard I feel like my Skyline should've lasted more than 30 miles on a tank of gas

Sounds like Turn 10 overcompensated regarding fuel consumption and tire wear being not a thing in Forza 3, 4 and 5. This will make longer races more interesting, at least.

Is there a fuel gauge at all?

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Tip:

If you're waiting for the game to install, and you play it before it's ready, you'll do the same race as the demo with the Ford GT. If the game isn't finished installing after that race, and you exit the game and come back, you're stuck doing that same GT race again.

So including the demo this is the third time I'm running the thing.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

metallicaeg posted:

Tip:

If you're waiting for the game to install, and you play it before it's ready, you'll do the same race as the demo with the Ford GT. If the game isn't finished installing after that race, and you exit the game and come back, you're stuck doing that same GT race again.

So including the demo this is the third time I'm running the thing.

i started playing with the download at about 24%, and it would let me start the career, but if i tried doing anything else it would have to install that specific bit.

It sucks, because i'm up to ~15MB/s on steam, but XBL is still only 6-7, and PSN never gets over 4MB/s.

I built a 719hp 1988lb 1981 ford fiesta and it's ridiculous and dumb and i love it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Any suggestions for the least expensive wheel set up that works effectively with Forza 6? I understand that no matter what the answer will be in the three digits. Thanks much.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Cubey posted:

Sounds like Turn 10 overcompensated regarding fuel consumption and tire wear being not a thing in Forza 3, 4 and 5. This will make longer races more interesting, at least.

Is there a fuel gauge at all?

There's a white bar in the middle of the HUD tach/speedometer that decreases as you burn off fuel.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Lorini posted:

Any suggestions for the least expensive wheel set up that works effectively with Forza 6? I understand that no matter what the answer will be in the three digits. Thanks much.

This has been covered and covered in the thread but the only one that gives you value for money is the Thrustmaster TX. The Fanatec is the better wheel but with pedals you're spending a $1200 on a video game controller and if you want to add a shifter it's another $200. A Thrustmaster TX is $300, if you want 3 pedals instead of two that's another $100, and if you want a stick shift instead of paddles that's another $150.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 15, 2015

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

GutBomb posted:

This has been covered and covered in the thread but the only one that gives you value for money is the Thrustmaster TX. The Fanatec is the better wheel but all in you're spending a thousand bucks on a video game controller. A Thrustmaster TX is $300, if you want 3 pedals instead of two that's another $100, and if you want a stick shift instead of paddles that's another $150.

Thanks. I know it's been covered I just wanted to make sure there was nothing cheaper. I didn't know about the extra pedal and the shifter. OK so time to start saving my pennies, thanks again.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Logitech does have one that comes with 3 pedals instead of 2, but doesn't come with a shifter. The wheel/pedal combo is $400 and the shifter is I think $70. It's a lot lower quality than the Thrustmaster though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

GutBomb posted:

Exactly what I've been doing. I haven't been using mods that provide extra grip because I don't want to get used to having it. The3 worst thing would be if I only know how to drive with the grip mods, then I race with goons online and I'm all over the place because I don't know how to drive with the standard grip. Basically the same thing as if you play horizon 2 all the time and get back into the FM series.

the trick is to find mods that cancel themselves out. at level 25 affiinity, you get a mod that's +12% grip and +50% credits for that manufacturer. and there's a super rare dare mod that's -15% grip for +50% credits, so you run at -3% grip which is negligible for +100% credits.

the affinity mod only works for that brand though, so if you forget and leave it on, you end up running the next race in a mercedes GT3 car with -15% grip which is not good news.

If you don't want to mess with mods, check them until you get a +10% grip mechanic guy, and match that to a -10% grip dare guy, and enjoy +30% credits without ever having to look at the mod screen again.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 15, 2015

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Those are good ideas, Powershift. One of the main reasons I'm not really using mods is that I don't want to go into multiplayer and have the car feel "weird." Your idea cancels that out nicely.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund
Agreed! I never thought of that. I had been using the Suggested Line Off + Cockpit View Only for +20% CR, along with whatever Boost mods gave an increase in CR or XP, but now I will look for a nice purple and blue mod that cancel each other out for even more CR's.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
New Indy. Wow. Fun!

No more resetting damage for photo mode or am I just missing it?

EDIT: Oops, left the headlights on again. I'm an old, so at least I can't run a whole race with my left-turn blinker on. :)

I LOVE that big cut-out of the big final corner. Drift-town: Population - you.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 15, 2015

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
So the 2nd series in the 4th volume has Le Mans Mulsanne as the final track. At night.

And one of the car divisions you can use is Formula E. :unsmigghh:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

L_Harrison posted:

So the 2nd series in the 4th volume has Le Mans Mulsanne as the final track. At night.

And one of the car divisions you can use is Formula E. :unsmigghh:

if we don't start routinely doing night races with cars that have no headlights, we have failed in playing this game properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
loving hell, Sonoma is Infineon?! KICK rear end!

It's a lot greener than I remember, but I remember every turn.

I am glee.

I get to race Laguna Seca next. I can't wait.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 15, 2015

• Locked thread