Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
So what happens with Paz in TPP? I haven't played, just been reading this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com

whydirt posted:

So what happens with Paz in TPP? I haven't played, just been reading this thread.

snake sees a ghost, that's about it. it's a series of cutscenes meant to hint that you are not who we think you are

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

ZenVulgarity posted:

Why are British people always evil

You probably don't actually care but its because of theatre and film traditions. British accents have clear class boundaries so someone who is upper class uses Received Pronunciation and its common for mastermind type villains to be upper class, refined and intelligent dudes. This is why movies and tv shows about Ancient Rome or whatever have people with English accents, because theres an immediate and clear way for the audience to understand who is a rich guy and who is working class based on how they speak.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

whydirt posted:

Paz appears seemingly alive and well in the Medical strut. Venom Boss has a flashback which implies that the medic (i.e: him) found the second bomb and removed it and the actual explosion was caused by an enemy rocket hitting the chopper.

However as you go back to meet with her things get weirder and harder to understand and by the end Venom realizes he's been hallucinating Paz is an attempt to assuage his guilt over her death. You get a final recording from her (which is actually from the Paz-in-your-brain) effectively saying "it sucked but you gotta get over it" and that is that.

It's fairly subtle and at first it comes across as Big Boss being sad over her death but with the ending it becomes clear it is the medic being sad that he hosed up and missed the second bomb.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
No one should feel shame over one of the greatest video games of all time, MGS V The Phantom Pain

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

DaveKap posted:

Hey guys, nobody's noticing something else that's hosed.

Huey drowned in the pool...

Huey with the legs that don't work? Or Huey with the legs that are made of metal and require electricity?

Um, what the gently caress is Huey doing in the pool?! He wasn't life-guarding for EE, that's for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYzTTJOlHRg&t=83s

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Pwnstar posted:

You probably don't actually care but its because of theatre and film traditions. British accents have clear class boundaries so someone who is upper class uses Received Pronunciation and its common for mastermind type villains to be upper class, refined and intelligent dudes. This is why movies and tv shows about Ancient Rome or whatever have people with English accents, because theres an immediate and clear way for the audience to understand who is a rich guy and who is working class based on how they speak.

Why would you open that up with 'you probably don't actually care'

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
And have you seen what people do care about in here?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
this is from like 20 pages back:

randombattle posted:

[dogfacts] They put enough attention to detail in DD that there's plenty of obvious characteristics that make it clear he's a dog and not a wolf. His proportions are too off for a wolf, his ears are too thin, his head too small, and whatnot but the clearest sign is that he has the bobbing gait of dog and not the stable gait of a wolf. When a dog runs they will move their heads and body up and down as they run but wolves will maintain a fairly level posture as they run. DD has the tell tale bobbing motion that points out clearly that Huey is a butt. [/dogfacts]

He is obviously a wolf. Who raised him and trained him? Ocelot. Who else did ocelot train to believe they were something different from who they are?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Snak posted:

He is obviously a wolf. Who raised him and trained him? Ocelot. Who else did ocelot train to believe they were something different from who they are?

Look at this Huey-agreeing motherfucker.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ImpAtom posted:

However as you go back to meet with her things get weirder and harder to understand and by the end Venom realizes he's been hallucinating Paz is an attempt to assuage his guilt over her death. You get a final recording from her (which is actually from the Paz-in-your-brain) effectively saying "it sucked but you gotta get over it" and that is that.

There's a point during the last Paz tape where she drops the "just live" line from Big Boss's monologue/deathbed conversion at the end of MGS4. Wonder if the actual John had some Paz Traumatic Stress Disorder too.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I love that while I was doing the Paz stuff I overheard some of the MB staff wondering why Boss kept hanging out in the construction area.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
also from awhile back:

randombattle posted:

So in MGS1 when Liquid/Miller first calls Snake he introduces himself as Mcdonald Miller.

Puts those burger tapes in a whole new light.
Yeah, I totally called this in the other thread. Then I got to the last hamburger tape and Miller ends it by saying, now all it needs is a new brand, based around a name... and presumable goes off to name himself McDonalds/McDonnell.

Too bad it can't be a real origin story for McDonalds because it's like 40 years too late.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The next Metal Gear game should be a meta-commentary about unneeded sequels and the lack of originality in game plots. You play as a cyborg and your first fight is against Raiden, who you have to beat with robo-CQC.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I've wanted to see cyber-cqc since MGR, too bad we'll probably never see it now.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Buschmaki posted:

I've wanted to see cyber-cqc since MGR, too bad we'll probably never see it now.

The middle part of Raiden and Armstrong's fightscene is basically that, except with more anime. He did that sick 'YOU'RE BATSHIT INSANE' judo throw and everything

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

In It For The Tank posted:

Look at this Huey-agreeing motherfucker.

Huey had some good points.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

UP AND ADAM posted:

Huey had some good points.

:laffo:
:godwin:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Huey had some good ideas you know, not all of them, but a few.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Huey invented D-Walker to be fair.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
My game froze when I replayed the Huey rescue mission and I started it up and I'm greeted with the scene of Ocelot and Miller torturing Huey.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ImpAtom posted:

Huey invented D-Walker to be fair.

It was probably a design Granin thought up and Huey ripped off.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Huey had some good ideas you know, not all of them, but a few.

1. Marrying a totally foxy second wife who loved younger men.
(Emma was adopted into the Emmerich family, so I'm making it canon that Huey never actually scored with Julie Danziger).

It doesn't matter if DD is a wolf or a dog because he is DD and he is literally perfect. Caring an inordinate amount about how others see DD is Huey as gently caress.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
What's the verdict on Strangelove's dying message? I thought it was heartwarming- she seemed to be expressing her love for the old Boss, without seeming too obsessive or deluded about their relationship, but I didn't play PW and don't know her character that well. I thought the stuff about helping Otacon with (the?) Joy's help was really nice too. I'm glad she wasn't in agony about Huey betraying her; she just was mad she hosed up and let his dumb rear end trap her.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It wasn't until Strangelove's dying tape that I realized that Joy may actually be The Boss's name.

UP AND ADAM posted:

What's the verdict on Strangelove's dying message? I thought it was heartwarming- she seemed to be expressing her love for the old Boss, without seeming too obsessive or deluded about their relationship, but I didn't play PW and don't know her character that well. I thought the stuff about helping Otacon with (the?) Joy's help was really nice too. I'm glad she wasn't in agony about Huey betraying her; she just was mad she hosed up and let his dumb rear end trap her.

Strangelove programmed the Patriots to take care of Otacon. Which explains a lot and is also hilarious.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I killed Quiet, am I gonna miss a lot of plot now? I assumed I could just replay the mission if I wanted to see what happens if you saved her, but apparently since I'm in Africa now it's too late. I'll just save her next playthrough, but I'm curious how much I'm missing.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I killed Quiet, am I gonna miss a lot of plot now? I assumed I could just replay the mission if I wanted to see what happens if you saved her, but apparently since I'm in Africa now it's too late. I'll just save her next playthrough, but I'm curious how much I'm missing.

be ashamed of your words and deeds

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I stayed spoiler free up until now, but my friends are telling me I'm gonna miss poo poo now. All I know is that she's an annoying as poo poo sniper and she's probably working with skull dude, of course I'm gonna ice her.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Yes, there's a pretty important plot point tied to Quiet. Nothing ACTUALLY plot-relevant happens to her (no main missions change with or without her presence) but there is a whole plot thread that is left hanging if you kill her because she isn't there for you to find out the truth of the matter. This is the spoiler thread and all, but I dunno how much you want to know on the matter, so I'll just leave it at that. There are a lot of cutscenes you're gonna miss out on though, which kinda sucks because they're already pretty sparse in this game.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

but I'm curious how much I'm missing.

You're missing the rest of the game being EZ mode.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Skoll posted:

You're missing the rest of the game being EZ mode.

D-Dog for life.

CJacobs posted:

Yes, there's a pretty important plot point tied to Quiet. Nothing ACTUALLY plot-relevant happens to her (no main missions change with or without her presence) but there is a whole plot thread that is left hanging if you kill her because she isn't there for you to find out the truth of the matter. This is the spoiler thread and all, but I dunno how much you want to know on the matter, so I'll just leave it at that.

Ok, that's totally cool then. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being walled off from a significant chunk of the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You will miss at least one mission but that is kind of unavoidable.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I guess I should have clarified, what I meant is that the plot doesn't change at all with or without her presence, but she does add several extra scenes.

There is only one Quiet-specific main mission but I'm assuming this game works like Batman: Arkham Knight in that the percentage completion is scaled to what is available to you based on your choices. In that game you have the option of taking in Azrael or letting him go, and your percentage of the main villains captured changes to either 12/12 or 11/11 depending on what you decide to do. Meaning, you can still get 100% because they change the 'maximum' captured villains to match the number there actually are.

Given that they give you the option of killing Quiet I assume they had the same thought process, so you can still get 100% on your save file. So instead of (making up a random number here) ending the game at 200/201 main missions completed, you'll just have 200/200.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 15, 2015

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

Strangelove programmed the Patriots to take care of Otacon. Which explains a lot and is also hilarious.

The Patriots' S3 Plan was a test run for the planned deletion of Otacon's web search history.

e:

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I have heard, but cannot confirm, that you can replay her mission (Mission 11) and still recruit her if you spare her the second time as long as you haven't already recruited her before.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 15, 2015

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Mt Dew Huey Did Nothing Wrong

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

In It For The Tank posted:

The Patriots' S3 Plan was a test run for the planned deletion of Otacon's web search history.

"Selection for Societal Sanity" indeed!

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
If she really have a drat about Otacon, she'd use the Patriots AI to separate him from Huey.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Broseph Brostar posted:

If she really have a drat about Otacon, she'd use the Patriots AI to separate him from Huey.

Huey's wheelchair is connected to the internet so maybe they did.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

D-Dog for life.

You're playing on very easy mode then.

I'm all but certain you can save her at any point though, so if you did mission 11 to get her again, you would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Just replayed mission 22 on my PC version and the debriefing if you rescue Mosquito (who the guide says is the soldier who guides Miller to the heli in Ground Zeroes) is pretty interesting.

He's heard a rumour, source unknown, that Big Boss sold out his comrades to go into hiding. He heard right, kinda!

• Locked thread