Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

DStecks posted:

What determines if people are taken prisoner upon a successful siege? Because raiding as Silesia, I found that one lucky siege that got me a grand chief's entire family as hostages earned me more money than raiding ever could. But then, for the rest of the night, sieges never once gave me prisoners.
I think its a bug right now? You pretty much either capture everyone or no-one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I wish there was an auto pillage button or turn that on for iron man. Nothing beats spending an entire day at 1 speed razing persia and arabia to the ground. I will say after doing so all tech levels are 150 years ahead of rest the world. I also have 1.2 million ducats.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Man, that archer nerf was painful.

My Merchant Republic empire of the Canary Islands game has hit a snag with the new DLC and patch; my mighty armies are primarily light infantry and archers as I'm a Mande West African. Before the patch I was enjoying contesting France's stranglehold on the continent as I worked my way up from Hispania into Aquitaine. I declare a Holy War for a duchy and suddenly find my troops getting annihilated in the melee phase despite having 2k on my opponents. Previously, my superior commanders and tech levels were enough to reasonably win engagements, usually by hurting them enough in skirmish that my inferior numbers of Heavy Infantry and Heavy Cavalry could still reasonably contest the enemy.

Now? Skirmish phase does barely anything, and the one way I could have a chance at matching other nations' armies is now gone as my only other bonus is my cultural unit - loving Light Infantry. :toot: I now have to bring overwhelming numbers to win fights. Despite having a military greater than any nation in the game, it seems I will have to resort to some sort of guerilla warfare to fight an enemy theoretically weaker than me.

I successfully defeated a crusade mostly due to the enemy throwing themselves piecemeal at me and the Pagan defensive bonus, but that last Holy War losing 50k troops in a fight I should have easily won was heartbreaking.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Is there a decent post-patch "here's how to build a retinue" guide anywhere?

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

The big thing that has been missing throughout the game's life has been making promises. You should be able to say "Hey come to my court and I'll make you Steward" or "Support my claim on the throne and I'll grant you another duchy and make you a Grand Duke" or "Hey guys, make me Emperor and I'll reduce Crown Authority!" or whatever.

And then you can have all kinds of clusterfucks result when you make promises you can't keep, or offer contradictory promises, or find that your chancellor/regent/heir has made some bullshit promise you never agreed to and now you've got to figure out a way out of it.

You could make it cost money and then scaled prestige. Prestige in that you're admitting no one in your realm is competent enough to aid you. Money so that if you say "oops, nevermind" you're still out of something (along with prestige). Then they leave for a random nearby court. The AI might only run through the checks if it's ministers are extremely low in quality and they're duke or higher maybe. To keep it down somewhat.

That way it's not an "I win because I'm already awesome" and the AI isn't constantly checking who to invite to their court and then castrate.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I think a deal system could work like diplomacy in basically any 4X game: you make an offer for some demands in return.

What I'd also like to see is some non-marital alliances, that would be more conditional, like a league that only acts like an ally in defensive wars, or only against certain foes, or in return for payment of some sort. Mostly since I like playing religious oddballs and it's sad when you can't even pay someone to be your pal.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Tiler Kiwi posted:

What I'd also like to see is some non-marital alliances, that would be more conditional, like a league that only acts like an ally in defensive wars, or only against certain foes, or in return for payment of some sort. Mostly since I like playing religious oddballs and it's sad when you can't even pay someone to be your pal.
You can make a cross-religious friend by organizing a trade expedition! I end up doing that on most rulers. Just make sure you send a regular bribe before the negotiations are complete, to maximize the chances of friendship.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
For the min-maxer, what are the Way of Life paths to bother with?

Business for $?
Then hunting in old age/after business life trait for health (via dog)?

Seduction (for female rulers who need happy vassals) instead of business, then hunting in old age?

Any others?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
You can reliably zap through Scholarship in five years, since it's one event chain. Get a big chunk of tech points, plus either +3 learning, or +1 and Zealous if you burn your research at the end.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)

Bel Monte posted:

You could make it cost money and then scaled prestige. Prestige in that you're admitting no one in your realm is competent enough to aid you. Money so that if you say "oops, nevermind" you're still out of something (along with prestige). Then they leave for a random nearby court. The AI might only run through the checks if it's ministers are extremely low in quality and they're duke or higher maybe. To keep it down somewhat.

That way it's not an "I win because I'm already awesome" and the AI isn't constantly checking who to invite to their court and then castrate.
You could also make "honorable" and "dishonorable" into character traits rather than temporary modifiers. Back out on a promise, and people (especially the other party to the promise) hate you, plus you might get "dishonorable": -10 or -20 vassal opinion, +1 intrigue. Keep your promises consistently and get "honorable": +10 or +20 vassal opinion, +1 diplomacy, perhaps -1 intrigue or -50 opposite trait opinion.

Or use honest/just versus deceitful/arbitrary: people will be less willing to accept promises from arbitrary or deceitful characters, unless some kind of down payment is offered (or whatever).

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I think a deal system could work like diplomacy in basically any 4X game: you make an offer for some demands in return.

This. As a Scandinavian republic, I'd love to be able to (say) ally with the Umayyads against Francia. Brings to mind the attempted Karling/Abbasid alliance against the Umayyads, or the attempted French-Mongol alliance against the Abbasids. Maybe make the complexity of alliances, promises, etc. scale with legalism or majesty technology. We don't want the middle ages to look like pre-WW1 Europe, with secret treaties waiting to explode all over the place.

alcaras posted:

Business for $?

Seduction (for female rulers who need happy vassals) instead of business, then hunting in old age?

Any others?

Intrigue if you direly need to get rid of vassals or revoke their titles. Hunting for longevity. Rulership if you want to get rid of a terrible trait like arbitrary or if you need to die quickly (stressed is a common outcome).

Most of the focuses have some situational use, though. Business is good for money. Theology can get you some good traits if you go on a pilgrimage. Carousing can be good for getting vassals to hate you less (or if you want to become angry at Paradox for not including an "invite all to carousing" button): it can also get rid of arbitrary for you.

Or just go with seduction and gently caress everyone and everything. There really isn't a hard-and-fast answer. It'll depend on what you need.

Coward posted:

Man, that archer nerf was painful.

Playing a pagan merchant republic suddenly got a lot harder. "Hire mercenaries and cross your fingers" no longer works, since most mercenary companies are composed of lovely light infantry (and as far as I can tell, they still don't benefit from tech bonuses). Build a generic retinue army with lots of pikemen and some heavy or light infantry: charges and advances are now utterly deadly. Pursuit will be a pain, but you stand a decent chance of routing an entire enemy flank during melee, so pursuit may not be needed.

alcaras posted:

Take a look. Pikes, heavy infantry, and camel cavalry all seem to do well. Archers fare poorly, and cavalry and horse archer retinues are often an inefficient use of the retinue cap.

Aschlafly fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 14, 2015

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

alcaras posted:

Business for $?

Any others?

Stewardship can get you ambition, diligent, and just, among others. And they usually happen fast.

I use to go for Hunting first, than Stewardship, with all characters. But lately hunting seems to be broken;

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
What are the events for playing in the new east? I feel like nothing special has happened with me playing the Uyghur, no wolf-blood, no schemes or anything other than game stuff.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

alcaras posted:

I'll write one for you. Here you go:

If your cultural retinue is anything other than Light Infantry, build that, and always make sure your commanders are of your culture.

If your cultural retinue is Light Infantry, build Cavalry. You'll get fewer troops but cavalry is the game breaker now (it was archers before Horse Lords nerfed them straight into the ground alongside light infantry).

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
Generic cavalry retinues can be a good bet. In the forum thread linked above, the first column refers to survival against a mixed enemy levy given a fixed retinue cap (so light infantry retinues, which use less of the cap, will outnumber cavalry). The second column refers to survival against a mixed enemy levy 50% larger, normalized for size (e.g., 1000 light infantry or 1000 light cavalry).

The gap is noteworthy. The most optimal retinues normalized for retinue cap tend to be heavy on pikemen (though cavalry don't do as poorly as archers or light infantry). But unsurprisingly, the best retinues normalized for number of units tend to be heavy on cavalry. Look at the Goedendag and Jaguar Warrior entries: they fare well for a fixed retinue cap (~80% survival), but unit-for-unit, they get massacred (~25% survival). On the other extreme, look at Byzantine cataphracts, which eat up a huge chunk of retinue cap: they fare poorly at fixed retinue cap (~50% survival) but are very strong on a per-unit basis (~90% survival).

The most bang for your buck will probably involve pikemen and heavy infantry. But there are some obvious situations where cavalry are the smarter bet, such as when you're warring against defensive pagans (at low military organization) and want to avoid crippling attrition (retinues are crazy expensive to reinforce).

Alternately, cavalry are pimp as gently caress, so just use them anyway. If your retinue cap gets large, there is something to be said for having a massive army of knights mowing down the infidels like hot knives through so many blades of butter. Or grass. Dammit, now I'm confused.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Huh.

Ohh, it turns out all adventurers get this event now. That's pretty cool.

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 14, 2015

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So this is going to be a pretty silly question, buuuut: as a Muslim I only want my family to have one ruler (me) while the rest of my vassals are outside of my dynasty, right? I typically only play as Catholics and a great joy of mine is to pollinate Europe with my family members, but I think it is time for a change!

Also, has a clear winner emerged in the perennial ck2+ vs. historical immersion project yet? I know a lot of it comes down to personal preference, but I haven't played the game for a few expansions and was wondering if any big shake ups have happened in the modding community.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
All I know for sure is HIP wins a clean sweep in the Jokes That Are Hilarious to Fourth Grade Boys category.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Eric the Mauve posted:

All I know for sure is HIP wins a clean sweep in the Jokes That Are Hilarious to Fourth Grade Boys category.

Don't forget all the pro-incest events they got in there.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
because, you see, historical realism demands :fuckoff:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eric the Mauve posted:

That's VIET.

All of that is in VIET.

Don't install VIET.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
Nothing says "historical realism" like eating a big, fat, juicy cock and getting an "eating good food" modifier that lasts for a year.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
In nine years my Latin Empire came will be finished. I'd like to convert it to an EU4 save. What things could I expect to occur with the world? Bogomilist are the main in Orthodox faith. Yazidi Faith control drat near all of Arabia, and Russia/ The Steppes are Sunni and Buddhist.

My ruler is French still but Constantinople is still Greek. I own Germany's and Jerusalem's Kingdoms as well. Abyssinia is all of Nubia as well and is held by a member of my dynasty. Not maxed out tech but at least 4 in every category 6 in some most are 5.

Basically what the heck happens when ya convert a ck2 save I guess I don't know I just want to continue this great run.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Summer Fair to Grand Hunt to Feast is a fun little chain of events to do and feels realistic.

Also getting the Great Tower and Trade Route event chains at the same drat time. In the red in the black in the red in the black repeat until Trade Route event finishes bammo. What cost to build? This is a hobby :smug:

e: this feast is lasting forever. Its loving February and the magician is still putting my crown under the jester's hat

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 15, 2015

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Haha wow, I'm new to CK2 and had never actually managed to be the biggest contributor in a crusade before. :stare:

Now I wanna see an event where someone has to address me by all my titles.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I havent played in a long rear end time. Is seduction still broken as poo poo?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Huh.

Ohh, it turns out all adventurers get this event now. That's pretty cool.

+20% levy size? That's quite a trait.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Moridin920 posted:

+20% levy size? That's quite a trait.

playing as an adventurer can be quite fun

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
I'm quite the novice at this game, I feel like I barely stumble through it even though I've been playing for a while.

The last few nights I've been playing as a tribe of Magyar nomads, starting in the late 9th century. My first Khan subjugated a neighbouring region and made all countries in the region tributaries however his liege constantly started wars with the neighbouring Khazars who control a huge region to the east. He'd then demand that my khan join his pointless wars, only for a massive army to come in and wipe him out.

After a few decades of that the Khan dies of old age having amassed heaps of prestige and gold by creating tributaries all the way to the Baltic sea. He had one son to his wife and another to a concubine and the son of the concubine had far greater prestige than the other so the titles moved to him. A few years later he's killed in battle and the titles move to his brother who hadn't seemed to have done very much with his life yet.

I decide to get the new Khan to declare independence from the Magyars (seeing as how the rival band weren't doing anything except starting fruitless wars anyway). Everything was going great until Khazaria breaks up in to 2 new factions and they both decide to invade my lands between them. Smelling blood a bunch of smaller states also declare war. It's not over yet but I feel like I'm on the brink of death anyway.

I guess I could be doing a lot of things wrong, but I'm really struggling to understand how I could possibly build up an army big enough to invade Avaria/Pannonia to found Hungary when other nomadic tribes from the east are constantly wrecking poo poo up.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

verbal enema posted:

playing as an adventurer can be quite fun

Any particularly good starts?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Any simple mods to fix that poo poo?

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Sep 15, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Somebody recommended copying the event file from the Game of Thrones mod.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Open up 00_focuses.txt, find "focus_seduction", and under "# AI Pick chance" change "factor = 50" to "factor = 0". Enjoy never being cucked like the beta you are.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

McGavin posted:

Open up 00_focuses.txt, find "focus_seduction", and under "# AI Pick chance" change "factor = 50" to "factor = 0". Enjoy never being cucked like the beta you are.

But what being cucked IS what I enjoy? :saddowns:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Then overclock it to 1000 and enjoy your medieval cuckfest simulator.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Hunting also seems to be broken now, but in the opposite way: its events will almost never fire, nothing ever happen. I usually get the dog and one or two "white animal" events, but nothing ever comes from then and that's it. I can sit on it for decades and still I get no hunter, no stats, nothing.

Maybe they tried to nerf it a bit and went too far? Now is useless.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I think there's too many events that have a chance to fire in a month and it probably selects general events before unique events.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I think there's too many events that have a chance to fire in a month and it probably selects general events before unique events.

That was always true but before the patch and horse lords the hunting events would happen a lot more often. Now I get 2 or 3 of then in a lifetime, so the chance of getting anything out of then is abysmal.

Im pretty sure it is broken, but maybe its something specific to nomad rulers?

EDIT: at the same time, Stewardship events are hitting like crazy, almost once a month I get one. Makes it really easy to get all the awesome traits and bonuses too.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 15, 2015

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So this is going to be a pretty silly question, buuuut: as a Muslim I only want my family to have one ruler (me) while the rest of my vassals are outside of my dynasty, right? I typically only play as Catholics and a great joy of mine is to pollinate Europe with my family members, but I think it is time for a change!

Also, has a clear winner emerged in the perennial ck2+ vs. historical immersion project yet? I know a lot of it comes down to personal preference, but I haven't played the game for a few expansions and was wondering if any big shake ups have happened in the modding community.

You probably want at least one other branch of your family landed, in the event that your main line dies out. But other than that, you are correct in trying to keep your dynasty as small as possible to avoid falling into the decadence trap.

It's actually a fun way to play the game, I can greatly recommend it.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
So I'd like some advice from the pros in this thread:

I haven't played this game for quite awhile previously, having done the "noob island" run as an Irish count back in the day when only a couple expansions were out. I'm current now up to Charlemagne (but not Horse Lords) and I've been trying to start a game as a pre-Norman English lord and it is just not going well at all for me. I've tried one game for now as the King of Northumbria, and one as the King of Mercia, and both have ended with the same catastrophe. I consolidate my power, move immediately to change the laws to primogeniture/low crown authority, start to expand my power slowly but surely, forging claims and nibbling off bits of small and mid-sized independent lords nearby without loving with the Picts or whichever I'm not playing of Mercia/Northumbria, and I steadily grow in power to the point where I'm probably the most powerful single landholder in Britain but only by a hair. Then, usually around when the Viking Age begins, there comes a point where I'm waging war on a minor Welsh war to incorporate his realm into mine, and some 1400-strong Viking raiding party just shows up at my doorstep at random unlike the little shitkicking bands that had been harassing me before, and when I break off to engage them (usually with substantial losses) one of my bigger neighbors decides, quite rightly, that this is his big chance and declares war on whatever claim(s) he has and rolls his fresh levies all over my depleted ones, depleting them further. I'm forced to surrender, my holdings are reduced, my levies are at low strength, and some other mid-large power decides to take a bite and before I know it my situation is no better than it was at game start and rapidly is worse off.

I guess what I'm asking is, what's the best way to avoid getting dogpiled starting the game under these circumstances? Alternatively, are there any other particularly good or interesting starts in this time period you guys would recommend? I really only have experience playing as Feudal Catholic rulers from the original start point. I have all the expansions save Horse Lords & Rajas of India, would you recommend picking those up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Holy jeeze. I guess it has to do with them being the target of a crusade, but what event is it that spawns 70k levies?

• Locked thread