Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I assume he's referring to the draft as "7 rounds of drafting"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

fozzy fosbourne posted:

That would be the dumbest game.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Deathlove posted:

Anyone else having trouble with the Stonemaier site rejecting their CC for the Viticulture EE? Oh, why do I wait until the last minute for these things.

The only credit card problem I had was not wanting to put my card number into a plaintext form. It turns out the form is in an HTTPS iframe even if the root page was served over HTTP, but still, that's extremely bad practice.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

BonHair posted:

I think it's drafting all the cards before revealing.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Wow, if that's what he meant then lol @ that group.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The best start player rule I've seen yet is "who has the oldest penny in their pocket" from Copper Country

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Who the hell carries coins around in TYOOL2015?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

One person in every four. And that's all you need.

PAL-18
Jan 21, 2007

Wanna see my batteries?

BonHair posted:

Also: Picking starting players in a thematic way is the best

Dungeon Lords: Whoever was a dick last

Jedit's complaints aside, the real problem here is that the rules already say that the nicest player starts and being starting player breaks ties on the evil-o-meter. There's a smiley face on the starting player token to remind you of this!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I played a game once where whoever had the longest beard. As a woman, that turned me off immediately. Clearly I wasn't the intended audience for their game.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Lord Frisk posted:

The best start player rule I've seen yet is "who has the oldest penny in their pocket" from Copper Country

How is that game, anyway?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Ubik_Lives posted:

Look, it's entirely possible that Taear is a Time Lord, and so while the concept of performing sequential moves simultaneously is a physical impossibility for us, we must be open to the possibility that (and I really don't know why FFG didn't include rules to capture this) future or past elements of board game pieces could exist concurrently with the present ones. Furthermore, the non-linear time sequence isn't creating any paradoxes, because the capacity to perform the temporal manoeuvre is simply predicated on a future successful partial execution of it.

And again - all it says is that ground units move. They need a legal path to get to the final world.
I get that, it's fine.

But the later rules say you can move units within the system as you want, the system that the advance order is in. At no point does it say this unit cannot have moved before.
Therefore you could readjust the unit within the system with no issue.

Game of Thrones works this way and has a very similar movement system and I don't get why The End is being so confrontational about it.

I completely understand about the path. Yes. I'm arguing that you can just move the unit three times.

But I'm not sure who to email at FFG about it. I know they do answer.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
The player with the biggest dick goes first.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lorini posted:

I played a game once where whoever had the longest beard. As a woman, that turned me off immediately. Clearly I wasn't the intended audience for their game.

Did the manual for the game itself call for that or what is some house thing used by a group of players?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Chomp8645 posted:

Did the manual for the game itself call for that or what is some house thing used by a group of players?

Presumably the manual, and would like to know which game, red november or some other game all about dwarves or something?

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

BonHair posted:

I think it's drafting all the cards before revealing.

So you end each age with a hand of 6 or maybe 7 cards... then what? Everyone just throws them all down at once? What did they think happened? :confused:

Reminds me of so many people on BGG trying to figure out Welcome to the Dungeon while thinking each player picks a different adventurer.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

silvergoose posted:

Presumably the manual, and would like to know which game, red november or some other game all about dwarves or something?

Wiz War?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
From Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game, player with longest beard goes first.
From IceFloe, player who does best impression of a polar bear goes first.
From Guts & Glory, "Play begins with the hungriest player. If there is a tie, play begins with the angriest player."

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Once Upon a Time. It's worded like "pick a start player in some way. We're old nerds, so we pick the guy with the longest beard, but you can do whatever", so it's not that stupid. Still not a fantastic rule tough, because women and that weird guy who does not have and will never have a job because he hasn't shaved ever.

Edit: We played Tier auf Tier in some mountain edition, and the starting playing was the best yodeler. Much fun.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Chomp8645 posted:

It was the manual. For the life of me I can't remember the name of the game, but I sold it right after the first play.

Edit: yes, Once Upon a Time may have been it.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Lorini posted:

It was the manual. For the life of me I can't remember the name of the game, but I sold it right after the first play.

Edit: yes, Once Upon a Time may have been it.

Fire & Axe: A Viking Saga. First play goes to "the hairiest" Viking.

Dig In! The person with the most facial hair goes first.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
K2's first player is the player who was in the mountains most recently.

Chinatown's first player is the player who was last in a "Chinatown"

Sheriff of Nottingham's first player is the player with the most cash on hand. (This one I'm less a fan of as money's a sensitive subject depending on the group you're in)

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Going by what rules don't say or don't forbid is a logically perfect, virtuous path to glorious enlightenment but it it not without risks. You may end up with a crippling spinal injury and hearing loss from endless enthusiastic back-slapping and shouts of I'M SO SORRY WE EVER DOUBTED YOU :ohdear:

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Letters from White Chapel The last player who murdered a prostitute goes first. I think they used this to catch a guy on L&O:SVU.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

BonHair posted:

This may be controversial, but maybe don't play hour-long games that you don't enjoy? I mean, I get sitting in on 7 Wonders or Red7 even though you don't enjoy them, because they take very little time and if it makes someone happy, why not? But sitting through an unenjoyable two hour game seems like too much, and you'll probably drag the atmosphere down by being negative the whole time.

That goes both ways. You don't want to be the guy who obstinately insists on playing a game you know the rest of your group doesn't really like, and that one or two of them totally hates. Or refuses to try something new.
You also don't want to be the guy who is a sourpuss when anything other than his favorite game hits the table.

There's a couple we play with, and the wife loves Mystery of the Abbey and can never find a group to play with. If you've never played, it can be described best as a deduction game that isn't as good as other deduction games. I play it once in a while because I like my friends and we can have fun anyway with a mediocre game.
But I always play to win. :colbert:

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Mister Sinewave posted:

Going by what rules don't say or don't forbid is a logically perfect, virtuous path to glorious enlightenment but it it not without risks. You may end up with a crippling spinal injury and hearing loss from endless enthusiastic back-slapping and shouts of I'M SO SORRY WE EVER DOUBTED YOU :ohdear:

It's the animating principle behind the upcoming movie Air Bud Goes To The Twilight Struggle Tournament.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Whoever linked that Vitticulture essential edition crowdfunding thing, you bastard. Here I am, thinking "Man I shoul save money, and I've got Keyflower on the way, and...oh...some fancy edition, with the expansions packed-in just the way I like them? Well...I mean...it ends in 7 hours and I'd be a fool not to get it right?"

Edit: Wait, it doesn't have everything? Ehhhhhh well then.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Taear posted:

And again - all it says is that ground units move. They need a legal path to get to the final world.
I get that, it's fine.

But the later rules say you can move units within the system as you want, the system that the advance order is in. At no point does it say this unit cannot have moved before.

It clearly says "all ground units move simultaneously" and "all legal paths are determined before moving any ground units". As soon as you move a ground unit, you must move all of them and the legal paths they can take cannot change. Of course you can rearrange units within the system with this move, but it must happen simultaneously with all other moves.

Nowhere I could find a provision that allows you move more than once during a single Advance order. Do you have a quote or page number for these "later rules" that allow you to rearrange units after moving?

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
From 1969: The last person to walk on the moon goes first. In the case of a tie, determine randomly.

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Chinatown's first player is the player who was last in a "Chinatown"

We play games in Chinatown, so it like eliminates itself unless someone is willing to bolt out the door and run down the block to go first.

Not official, but when I teach it to randoms in the games cafe: Resistance The last person to overthrow a government

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Lorini posted:

It's a bit if a bummer that I'll literally never be first player in Brewcrafters since I don't drink beer.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Are you a celiac or a loser?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Lichtenstein posted:

The player with the biggest dick goes first.

this or biggest waist size for the most laughs

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sloober posted:

I was talking to a friend of mine about first player rules and he mentioned small world underground's, which to me is moot since we play at my place or his and both of our play areas are in basements which both of us consider underground. Since my group is routine and the same people, even rules like Terra Mystica's flower bed rule will produce the same person every time (me). Others like even Forbidden Island's 'last on an island' doesn't change since we're in wisconsin and there's not a whole lot of islands around here to go to, so it's always from his stint in the navy. Argent's last to attend a uni class will again produce the same person.

That's sort of why I don't pay much attention to first player rules beyond looking at what dumb thing was picked, and will just random or volunteer it off each time. I still like seeing what it is for a given game, if for no reason other than seeing how obscure or difficult to fulfill/change it is.

Alternatively, you could live in Florida where animals larger than the average person are more common than a room below ground level and the only times basements do exists are either as part of a workplace (auto pit), for very large buildings (skyscrapers) or where the "basement" is actually just inside of a hill. Alternatively limestone caves.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The last person to murder someone and devour their heart for power goes first. If the players at your table are vegetarian then simply roll a die.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

So T.I.M.E Stories sounded pretty interesting based on SU&SD's impressions from Gencon but I'm now reading that the game comes with literally one scenario, and once you beat it there's zero replay value. Based on information online, you'll probably have to play the scenario about 3 times before you beat it (not even in a Tragedy Looper kind of way, everything I can find seems to imply that the game is literally based on trial and error and learning from your last playthrough, which is fine I guess if they include some kind of Par number of plays to try to beat) which is supposedly about 4 hours of gameplay. MSRP $50. But don't worry there's an expansion announced that adds... one additional scenario. MSRP $29.99.

:psyduck: In what universe is this acceptable? People complain about Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective and Tragedy Looper having a limited number of scenarios but both of those games feel like they include a generous amount of content. T.I.M.E stories sounds like one of the stingiest games ever.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Kai Tave posted:

The last person to murder someone and devour their heart for power goes first. If the players at your table are vegetarian then simply roll a die.

Player elimination AND dice rolling? Nice troll :rolleyes:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Scyther posted:

So T.I.M.E Stories sounded pretty interesting based on SU&SD's impressions from Gencon but I'm now reading that the game comes with literally one scenario, and once you beat it there's zero replay value. Based on information online, you'll probably have to play the scenario about 3 times before you beat it (not even in a Tragedy Looper kind of way, everything I can find seems to imply that the game is literally based on trial and error and learning from your last playthrough, which is fine I guess if they include some kind of Par number of plays to try to beat) which is supposedly about 4 hours of gameplay. MSRP $50. But don't worry there's an expansion announced that adds... one additional scenario. MSRP $29.99.

:psyduck: In what universe is this acceptable? People complain about Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective and Tragedy Looper having a limited number of scenarios but both of those games feel like they include a generous amount of content. T.I.M.E stories sounds like one of the stingiest games ever.

Yeah, that's pretty hosed. The whole Legacy line of games started a slippery slope of board games being disposable. Unless these limited play games start including ways to return the board/components back to the starting state I've just written the whole thing off.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
It's not even the case with Tragedy Looper, since you can just make your own scenarios after you've exhausted the premade ones, or with Risk Legacy, since you still have a playable non-standard copy of Risk after you've done all the unlockable stuff.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Taear posted:

Find the exact rule. You have multiple people telling you otherwise, the burden is on you.

Here's the Rules Reference https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/5f/19/5f19d872-318e-4fcf-a398-626721f5c55c/fs01_rules_reference_lowrez.pdf
Here's the Learn to Play https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/cf/97/cf971a24-1828-4671-a794-83f394380da5/fs01_learn_to_play_lowrez.pdf

The only thing that resembles what you're talking about is that a Deploy order allows you to construct units on uncontrolled worlds in the same system. That is not even remotely permitting what you're talking about.

The End fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 15, 2015

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Kai Tave posted:

I assume this is for Power Grid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

T-Bone posted:

Are you a celiac or a loser?

Loser. I drank a beer at a tent at a festival in Germany. If I didn't like that, I don't see the point of continuing.