Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Has anyone tried to play over IRC using a Dice bot? I'm trying to figure out if it'd be easy to modify one for the custom D6 or if there's a better alternative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Dreylad posted:

Has anyone tried to play over IRC using a Dice bot? I'm trying to figure out if it'd be easy to modify one for the custom D6 or if there's a better alternative.

Roll20 with the api. It's in the OP.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

alg posted:

Roll20 with the api. It's in the OP.

Fair enough, just haven't used Roll20 before. Thanks!

KJDavid
Nov 22, 2013

My other avatar is a pocke-thingy.
Or just use Google+ Hangouts with the FFG Star Wars app.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

So how long before TFA is monetized in the rpg? I assume it's covered in the license if they are doing the ships for minis.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

yronic heroism posted:

So how long before TFA is monetized in the rpg? I assume it's covered in the license if they are doing the ships for minis.

Nobody knows.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
New preview article for Strongholds of Resistance! I'm surprisingly pumped for this book, I'm hoping it'll expand a little on the Rebel Base rules from Desperate Allies, and just overall AoR feels like the line most in need of some nifty supplements.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

jivjov posted:

New preview article for Strongholds of Resistance! I'm surprisingly pumped for this book, I'm hoping it'll expand a little on the Rebel Base rules from Desperate Allies, and just overall AoR feels like the line most in need of some nifty supplements.

three boobed gran lady statue :eyepop::eyepop::eyepop:

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
Is there an IRC channel everyone hangs out in?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tanon posted:

Is there an IRC channel everyone hangs out in?

#sweote on synirc

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Need some advice on an upcoming session (spoiled because I've got players on the board who KNOW NOT TO READ THIS): So my next adventure for my party is probably going to end up in a 3-way Fleet battle scrum, between a local Imperial system picket fleet (with a Neb-B, a Lancer, and a Vigil) and two rival Imperial Admirals (one with 2 Neb-B's and an Interdictor, the other with a Vindicator), all sides with lots of fighters everywhere. This is right after the fall of the Emperor, where all the Navy was splitting off into rival warring factions, and the PCs are Rebel agents aligned with the system fleet working to bring the star system over to the New Republic. The PCs will have a couple Rebel snubfighters, and a light freighter directly under their command.

I'm wondering what the best way will be to adjudicate this kind of fight. Should I just handle all the Cap Ships narratively, describing the damage and carnage without rolling dice, unless the PCs specifically choose which enemy ships to target with Proton Torpedoes? There will of course be plenty of TIE Fighters to be dogfighting with and shooting down/providing cover for the Picket Fleet (as well as an Inquisitor in a TIE-Defender), so I'm not worried about the PCs getting bored, just worried about getting bogged down with Cap Ships slugging it out every round.

Also, secondary related question, I have no idea what an 'average' Imperial system fleet would look like. Is a Neb-B/Vigil/Lancer reasonable/too much/too little? Any other common hull types I should throw in there? Thank you :) !

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

susan posted:

Need some advice on an upcoming session (spoiled because I've got players on the board who KNOW NOT TO READ THIS): So my next adventure for my party is probably going to end up in a 3-way Fleet battle scrum, between a local Imperial system picket fleet (with a Neb-B, a Lancer, and a Vigil) and two rival Imperial Admirals (one with 2 Neb-B's and an Interdictor, the other with a Vindicator), all sides with lots of fighters everywhere. This is right after the fall of the Emperor, where all the Navy was splitting off into rival warring factions, and the PCs are Rebel agents aligned with the system fleet working to bring the star system over to the New Republic. The PCs will have a couple Rebel snubfighters, and a light freighter directly under their command.

I'm wondering what the best way will be to adjudicate this kind of fight. Should I just handle all the Cap Ships narratively, describing the damage and carnage without rolling dice, unless the PCs specifically choose which enemy ships to target with Proton Torpedoes? There will of course be plenty of TIE Fighters to be dogfighting with and shooting down/providing cover for the Picket Fleet (as well as an Inquisitor in a TIE-Defender), so I'm not worried about the PCs getting bored, just worried about getting bogged down with Cap Ships slugging it out every round.

Also, secondary related question, I have no idea what an 'average' Imperial system fleet would look like. Is a Neb-B/Vigil/Lancer reasonable/too much/too little? Any other common hull types I should throw in there? Thank you :) !

Stay on Target has rules for just such an occasion, large space battle rules towards the back, you only run a small number of ships as the focus of the battle, while it rages around behind you.

For your second question of ships that I know are already statted out, the VT-49 Decimator and Imperial Customs Frigate added by Fly Casual, or a Gozanti modded to carry starfighters like they show in the Rebels TV show could be interesting and aren't too powerful for PCs by themselves. Non statted out ships like the Imperial Raider could be interesting, as they are supposed to hard counter starfighters.

TaurusTorus fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 15, 2015

susan
Jan 14, 2013

TaurusTorus posted:

Stay on Target has rules for just such an occasion, large space battle rules towards the back, you only run a small number of ships as the focus of the battle, while it rages around behind you.

For your second question of ships that I know are already statted out, the VT-49 Decimator and Imperial Customs Frigate added by Fly Casual, or a Gozanti modded to carry starfighters like they show in the Rebels TV show could be interesting and aren't too powerful for PCs by themselves. Non statted out ships like the Imperial Raider could be interesting, as they are supposed to hard counter starfighters.

Awesome, thank you, I will look that up and use the suggestions there :) .

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I was inspired by Bookhounds of London and I’m sending my players to an auction. What would you use as the primary skill: Cool (keeping your head on straight in a frantic auction), Discipline (resisting the impulse to spend too much), or Negotiation (spotting a good deal)?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

echopapa posted:

I was inspired by Bookhounds of London and I’m sending my players to an auction. What would you use as the primary skill: Cool (keeping your head on straight in a frantic auction), Discipline (resisting the impulse to spend too much), or Negotiation (spotting a good deal)?

Whatever you choose, remember that the players will inevitably attempt to murder the rest of the bidders and/or just steal everything before the auction actually happens.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Ablative posted:

Whatever you choose, remember that the players will inevitably attempt to murder the rest of the bidders and/or just steal everything before the auction actually happens.

This is correct. Also, why limit it to just one? It could be all three, in a row or around the table?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

echopapa posted:

Addition Skills people can roll with examples of why.

Coercion to bully a group of buyers off of what they want to buy.
Skulduggery to ally with some shady people to drive up the price of a different item.
Computers to hack the bidding system (be it a droid or through datapads where you input your bid).
Leadership to organize the group and get the plan to go on time.

Basically, everyone should be doing something, and more likely doing something different.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Ablative posted:

The bidding skill is my back-up plan in case my players decide not to kill everyone.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I recently bought the beginner box of edge of empire and ran it with a couple friends. The complete newbie to roleplaying picked the wookie and really didn't have much to do since the smugglers talked his way out of every problem.

Overall the system seems fun but I'm unsure if i want to shell out the 60 for the big book. Also the space combat at the end was extremely confusing for everyone, and I'm still not sure I was doing threats and disasters right during rolls.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Space combat in general is pretty terrible, it's a little bit better if everybody has their own ship (they are flying a squad of X-Wings or something) so that everybody gets to do something every turn. But then you still have to actually do it and it's ew all around. How exactly where you spending your threat? There isn't exactly a strict laid out thing so if you're just kind of making things of various badness or goodness up then you were doing it fine.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I think I forgot entirely about threat in combat until later it was very odd. Yeah the escape in the freighter is kind of a huge low point. The pilot was feeling kinda useless.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

I think I forgot entirely about threat in combat until later it was very odd. Yeah the escape in the freighter is kind of a huge low point. The pilot was feeling kinda useless.

Yeah, theres nothing to escape since the TIEs go fast than you so its either you dodge or you give the gunners shots and v0v. My tip for making space combat a lot easier. Have everyone going max speed to begin with unless something specific is happening, use the slowest ship as like, the center of the fight and everything is moving relative to it.

Then make sure everyone is either in their own ship or two to a ship. Makes things like fighting off TIEs while they outrun the slow Star Destroyer more interesting if you have two people in the ship's freighter and another two flying x-wings next to them.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
What should I keep in mind when GMing Age of Rebellion? I'm trying to run it, as it is currently the only core I have, and I keep feeling I'm doing it wrong. What are some basics I should know? I can give examples of problems I had later once I'm done with work.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Players are probably never going to do what you want them to, so don't plan too much, just be able to roll with it. The adversary decks are really great, they let you pull out a ready made character with a full stat block and everything. You don't even have to use the "name" of the character and you could even swap some skills on the fly but they give you a really good base to work with.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

kingcom posted:

outrun the slow Star Destroyer

Never understood why Star Destroyers are depicted as being slow in the FFG RPG. In the movies they seem to have quite a good straight-line speed, enough to keep up with the Falcon during its escape from Hoth until Han decides to change tactics from out run to out maneuver.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I always thought that tractor beams accounted for that difference, also the fact that the Falcon had a busted engine.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Never understood why Star Destroyers are depicted as being slow in the FFG RPG. In the movies they seem to have quite a good straight-line speed, enough to keep up with the Falcon during its escape from Hoth until Han decides to change tactics from out run to out maneuver.

The thing still moves fast enough to keep in range in the FFG RPG its just that speed takes into consideration a lot of movement variables given its all theatre of the mind instead of pieces on a grid. Plus star destroyers being the speed category slower than the x-wings/falcon seems to make complete sense to me.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
If the players were fleeing a star destroyer, I'd be inclined to treat the destroyer less as an active participant in a fight and more as an encroaching obstacle to be eluded.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

jivjov posted:

If the players were fleeing a star destroyer, I'd be inclined to treat the destroyer less as an active participant in a fight and more as an encroaching obstacle to be eluded.

This is the correct method.

Seriously, you people need to play more FTL. If you treat space combat like FTL, it's actually pretty drat fun and dramatic.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah; only use full stats and combat stuff for a Star Destroyer if your players are controlling something of the same size.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Fuzz posted:

This is the correct method.

Seriously, you people need to play more FTL. If you treat space combat like FTL, it's actually pretty drat fun and dramatic.

This.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
New Strongholds of Resistance preview went up. Digging that Echo Base map; I can see potential for running an Echo Base campaign where the Empire's attack was a more gradual ramp-up instead of suddenly half a dozen Star Destroyers and a massive ground assault.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Oh man NOW there's an actual mape for Echo Base! now i'm gonna need to find a reason to go back there.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey so what skills does one need to command a starship? Do I need anything other than Leadership?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SuperKlaus posted:

Hey so what skills does one need to command a starship? Do I need anything other than Leadership?

I could make a case for a lot of the social skills (especially depending on the makeup of the crew); and Discipline wouldn't be bad as well.

And surely there will come a time when the bridge crew is dead and one character has to bounce around from station to station, desperately making Mechanics, Computers, Astrogation, and Piloting (Space) checks.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Better question, then. Are there any rules for commanding a starship in an engagement I can consult? The AoR core book has no particular information about commanders.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

SuperKlaus posted:

Better question, then. Are there any rules for commanding a starship in an engagement I can consult? The AoR core book has no particular information about commanders.

Yeah FFG is about to update the rules but they've been out for a while here: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-armada/

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

SuperKlaus posted:

I think it really comes down to leadership rolls and role play. You're there to give your people blue dice and survive fear checks. Field commander/Imp. field commander are fantastic if you've got the right specialization.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Right, I was looking at Field Commander. But I think I prefer Inspiring Rhetoric. I was hoping I wouldn't be reduced to gut calls for mechanical effect on all of this though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

I'd say that Knowledge (Warfare) should probably be included in the relevant skills, especially for identifying opposing Admirals/Commanders and tactics that they're known for employing.