Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a 3rd gen ATV ( I think( and whenever I try to update it it says unable to update. Is there a way to reset the whole drat thing?

edit: I probably should have googled the second question. But I guess I was wondering if anyone had seen this error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Besides the weird offline stuff (which was just a misunderstanding on my part) Apple Music has worked flawlessly for me. I prefer the playlists here vs on Spotify and the price is better for several people on our plan.

That's fine, but what you just said is different than what he said. I also prefer the Spotify layout to what Apple offers, but there are pluses and minuses to each program beyond "technical glitches." My biggest beef with Apple Music has been music availability to my surprise.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I have a 3rd gen ATV ( I think( and whenever I try to update it it says unable to update. Is there a way to reset the whole drat thing?

edit: I probably should have googled the second question. But I guess I was wondering if anyone had seen this error.

Depending on the error message, maybe that's normal? I don't think there's anything newer than iOS 8.3.x for old apple tvs.

edit: otherwise there's a Restore option somewhere in settings.

Mr. BT
Oct 14, 2002
I guess all the developer emails have been sent regarding the lottery? :(

drat.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm stoked to hear about the Plex app news. Less stoked to (assume) they'll do what they usually do with new devices and make it "beta" for Subscription folks only for the first couple of months or whatever...

Hope they crank that app out soon!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Any clue on whether sideloading on the Apple TV will be possible like with iOS and the new Xcode? (...unless they pulled that feature without saying anything)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

japtor posted:

Any clue on whether sideloading on the Apple TV will be possible like with iOS and the new Xcode? (...unless they pulled that feature without saying anything)

Don't think anyone knows yet, but people should start to get their dev units before TOO long so I guess we'll find out then.

Mr. BT
Oct 14, 2002
If anyone wants to, you know, sell their dev unit... :)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

The UI on Apple Music drives me absolutely crazy, especially when they should have just started with the baseline of "be like Spotify" and added features, not made it worse. My free trial ends Oct. 1st, and I just turned off auto renew. I like being able to talk to my phone to load a song in the car, but that's about it.

If they started with "be like Spotify" I would hate it because I can't stand how anything on Spotify is set up. I don't interact with my music via playlists, I like lists of artists, then sublists of albums, then sublists of songs within that. I think the UI in Apple Music is perfect for how I use my library.

ickna
May 19, 2004

TheJoker138 posted:

I like lists of artists, then sublists of albums, then sublists of songs within that. I think the UI in Apple Music is perfect for how I use my library.

You can use Spotify this way, too.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ickna posted:

You can use Spotify this way, too.

Yeah but it's clearly not built for it and sucks to do. Like it's very clearly aimed at people who's main way of interacting with music is via playlists. And that's cool for those people, but I just hated how it was set up.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

TheJoker138 posted:

Yeah but it's clearly not built for it and sucks to do. Like it's very clearly aimed at people who's main way of interacting with music is via playlists. And that's cool for those people, but I just hated how it was set up.

This seems like a simple way for them to "be like Spotify by different." It's confusing though because isn't a lot of Apple Music exactly set up for 'people who interact with music via playlists?' The major selling points for the App are things like Curated Playlists, Hot Playlists, discovery which is functionally playlists, "For You" playlists, and others.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Can an AppleTV (any of them) act in a similar manner to a airport express?

like it shows up as a set of speakers in my iTunes on my mac and lets me pipe the music to them?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Laserface posted:

Can an AppleTV (any of them) act in a similar manner to a airport express?

like it shows up as a set of speakers in my iTunes on my mac and lets me pipe the music to them?

Yes. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202809

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I was excited until I realised the apple TV doesnt have analog out :downs:

thanks anyway, gues I will stick with my ugly rear end wall-wart Express.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

Not saying switch, but I agree with this. I tried spotify for a bit and hated it. I switched to RDio and they are oriented really well for artist then album view.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Laserface posted:

I was excited until I realised the apple TV doesnt have analog out :downs:

thanks anyway, gues I will stick with my ugly rear end wall-wart Express.
If you don't want a wall wart, the current Express is in a very similar form-factor as the AppleTV.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Duckman2008 posted:

Not saying switch, but I agree with this. I tried spotify for a bit and hated it. I switched to RDio and they are oriented really well for artist then album view.

I wasn't a fan of the look of the Spotify app (the Apple Music app is prettier), and it does have some flow issues. That said the Apple Music UI is so bad, that it makes the Spotify app look great. Honestly I can't take anyone seriously that thinks there are no real issues with the Apple Music UI. To be clear I am a person 100% invested in the Apple eco-system, so I am trying my best to forgive Apple Music for it's shortcomings. I am still debating dropping it and going back with Spotify (better library, app UI better, Ps4 streaming), or staying with Apple Music (cheaper family plans, Apple TV integration, 'for you' playlist are freaking amazing). Still seeing today that The Guest Soundtrack has been removed, and its still available on Spotify makes me sad.

Also I haven't used the RDio app in over an year, but at the time it was by far the best UI I ever used. The only reason I left was issues I had with the library .

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

If you don't want a wall wart, the current Express is in a very similar form-factor as the AppleTV.

You can even plug in a standard figure-8 cord into the old express and hide the thing :ssh:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I may end up doing that. I forgot about that. thanks for reminding me.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

nate fisher posted:

I wasn't a fan of the look of the Spotify app (the Apple Music app is prettier), and it does have some flow issues. That said the Apple Music UI is so bad, that it makes the Spotify app look great. Honestly I can't take anyone seriously that thinks there are no real issues with the Apple Music UI. To be clear I am a person 100% invested in the Apple eco-system, so I am trying my best to forgive Apple Music for it's shortcomings. I am still debating dropping it and going back with Spotify (better library, app UI better, Ps4 streaming), or staying with Apple Music (cheaper family plans, Apple TV integration, 'for you' playlist are freaking amazing). Still seeing today that The Guest Soundtrack has been removed, and its still available on Spotify makes me sad.

Also I haven't used the RDio app in over an year, but at the time it was by far the best UI I ever used. The only reason I left was issues I had with the library .

One of the main reasons I quit getting Spotify besides hating the UI was the fact that they didn't have a ton of music I liked and wanted on it. Apple Music also doesn't have everything, but they solve that problem by letting you upload your own music. It's not perfect, but I personally don't care if they removed The Guest soundtrack because I've had The Guest soundtrack in my library since the movie came out and I bought it, so it's still up there in the cloud regardless of whether they have it up for streaming.

I also haven't been really effected by the UI stuff most people complain about because I'm not poking around with playlist stuff, or going to any tab other than "My Music" and then just playing music. I see how I might be a fringe case here though, but I'm also proof that not every single person is frothing at the mouth about the UI issues I'm sure it does probably have, because they don't effect every single person.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
I went on a 1000 mile motorcycle trip over labor day and being able to use siri to control apple music convinced me to switch. Being able to hit the siri buttton on my headset and say "play whatever", and it actually working was amazing.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Keystoned posted:

I went on a 1000 mile motorcycle trip over labor day and being able to use siri to control apple music convinced me to switch. Being able to hit the siri buttton on my headset and say "play whatever", and it actually working was amazing.

That's exactly the kind of ridiculous thing you see the models in Apple commercials do. It must be calibrated for your lifestyle.

Do you ever laugh while looking over your wife's shoulder as she swipes around the Travelocity app on her Apple iPad? Maybe while sitting on a white couch in a minimalist apartment with a huge window behind you that perfectly highlights the sunset-orange New York skyline?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

When voice control works, it's fantastic. Definitely looking forward to doing that instead of the terrible pointer keyboard thing, even if I have to spell things out.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Bass Bottles posted:

That's exactly the kind of ridiculous thing you see the models in Apple commercials do. It must be calibrated for your lifestyle.

Do you ever laugh while looking over your wife's shoulder as she swipes around the Travelocity app on her Apple iPad? Maybe while sitting on a white couch in a minimalist apartment with a huge window behind you that perfectly highlights the sunset-orange New York skyline?

:goonsay:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Seriously, is that supposed to be some sort of insult?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
It was meant as light-hearted joke amongst comrades *weakly punches shoulder* :smith:

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

TheJoker138 posted:

One of the main reasons I quit getting Spotify besides hating the UI was the fact that they didn't have a ton of music I liked and wanted on it. Apple Music also doesn't have everything, but they solve that problem by letting you upload your own music. It's not perfect, but I personally don't care if they removed The Guest soundtrack because I've had The Guest soundtrack in my library since the movie came out and I bought it, so it's still up there in the cloud regardless of whether they have it up for streaming.

I also haven't been really effected by the UI stuff most people complain about because I'm not poking around with playlist stuff, or going to any tab other than "My Music" and then just playing music. I see how I might be a fringe case here though, but I'm also proof that not every single person is frothing at the mouth about the UI issues I'm sure it does probably have, because they don't effect every single person.

I understand that you may not by effected by it because you stay in my music, but that doesn't change the issues people are having with it.

To be honest 'for you' is the best part of Apple Music if you ask me (along with Siri). You should check it out sometime. It does work, just sometimes jumping around in it can be user unfriendly (un-Apple like).

I had The Guest soundtrack in 'my music', but since I didn't make it available for offline it will not stream now. I was even going to buy it off iTunes today, but it is gone off there too. I guess I will buy it off Amazon.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Keystoned posted:

I used to be able to do this, now Siri just errors out for some loving reason even though what I'm saying is perfectly transcribed on the display.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

nate fisher posted:

I understand that you may not by effected by it because you stay in my music, but that doesn't change the issues people are having with it.

To be honest 'for you' is the best part of Apple Music if you ask me (along with Siri). You should check it out sometime. It does work, just sometimes jumping around in it can be user unfriendly (un-Apple like).

I had The Guest soundtrack in 'my music', but since I didn't make it available for offline it will not stream now. I was even going to buy it off iTunes today, but it is gone off there too. I guess I will buy it off Amazon.

Aren't service exclusives annoying? :(

Curious they'd take it off from purchase though - that must be some grudge the publisher is holding.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
I noticed a complete lack of mentioning of the "old" 3rd generation ATV features at the iPhone/iPad/ATV event held last week.

Are the 3rd generation ATV users going to get any features or are we pretty much boned since we have the "old" box?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Pretty much. There'll be bug fixes and minor updates for the 3rd gen. There's only so much they can do with the dinky little cpu in there. It is old

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Last time, ATV3 just got a UI update. Don't expect new features of any kind.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have a hard time imagining that ATV3 won't get Apple Music and a UI (style) refresh to match tvOS but that's probably it.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Holy poo poo i just realized if they put out a Slingbox app for this thing then that means I effectively have cable again thanks to the Slingbox I bought my parents that they never use. Is this likely to happen? Do the other streaming boxes have official Slingplayer apps?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

OldSenileGuy posted:

Holy poo poo i just realized if they put out a Slingbox app for this thing then that means I effectively have cable again thanks to the Slingbox I bought my parents that they never use. Is this likely to happen? Do the other streaming boxes have official Slingplayer apps?

According to their website they do. They already support AirPlay from iOS devices to your current AppleTV.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

gret posted:

They already support AirPlay from iOS devices to your current AppleTV.

True, but in my experience this is flaky at best. Though that can be said of AirPlay on my Apple TV in general.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just some anecdotal evidence but my AirPlay performance went from bad/spotty to nearly flawless when I got an AirPort Extreme.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Martytoof posted:

I have a hard time imagining that ATV3 won't get Apple Music and a UI (style) refresh to match tvOS but that's probably it.
Sure, that’s not anything requiring an overhaul, so they’ll add that just like another of their pre-tvOS apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
If you're just gonna be using the Apple TV for Airplay and Netflix etc. is there really any point in buying the new one? I have no interest in games, Siri, touch remote or Apple Music (I think).

• Locked thread