Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I think we can all agree that we need to find a way to make the Mike vs. Gorilla match a reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Punch away, Mike.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

You're absolutely right about the gorilla killing him, but the only "fight" would be trying to get the lifeless husk of him out of the enclosure as the gorilla swings him around by a dislocated leg.

Eh, I think, if we are talking Tyson in his prime, that he would last for a little while, assuming he could keep the gorilla from grappling. I'm also assuming an initial punch from Tyson to start the fight.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I honestly hope the Tyson vs. gorilla speculation goes on for several pages. Tyson would be destroyed by a gorilla, even if the gorilla gave him ten free punches.

Also a bear would easily beat a gorilla.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

What if the gorilla was trained to abide by the rules of boxing?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I honestly hope the Tyson vs. gorilla speculation goes on for several pages. Tyson would be destroyed by a gorilla, even if the gorilla gave him ten free punches.

Also a bear would easily beat a gorilla.

I'll call Jay Cutler and round up a gorilla. We'll be rich!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The thing you've got to understand about this situation is that humans are unique among primates in our capacity for fine motor control. We even have joints in our hands and wrists that are unique to us. Our tendons are thin and pliable and the connection points on our muscles are much closer to the joints. The most conservative estimates say that every pound of muscle on an ape is worth twice that on a human.

On top of the physical differences in our musculature, our motor control neurons are much more nuanced. When our brains send signals to our muscles, we only activate the fibers necessary to get the job done, with most of our strength held in reserve even when we think we're putting in everything we have. You know those stories where a little old lady lifts up a car because her grandkids are trapped under it? That's the adrenaline forcing her body to use all of its muscle for the first time in her life. Other primates have much fewer motor neurons, and when their muscles twitch it's more of an all-or-nothing proposition

So we're talking about a man fighting a cornered animal that doesn't know what the rules of boxing are, has effectively four times the muscle, and is physically incapable of holding any of it back.

Koko there would have crushed him into a ball.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I still say that if Tyson got the first blow, and just went at KK, he would clobber him. This is a man that's been known to knock people out round one regularly. Gorilla's are normally pacifist. Sure, he'd probably fight back once he realized he couldn't run away, and if he was able to start getting hits in, it'd be all over, but Mikey's bound to get the drop on him and KO him fast.

Also, I'm not sure how the bear vs. gorilla fight would go, but I'm eager to hear opinions.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

cock hero flux posted:

What if the gorilla was trained to abide by the rules of boxing?

He would probably hold to Marquis of Queensbury rules until Tyson bit an ear.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

RandomFerret posted:

You know those stories where a little old lady lifts up a car because her grandkids are trapped under it?

Considering we live in the age of cameras everywhere, and seemingly no one has ever captured this happening and posted it on Youtube, this has probably never actually happened and is just a "story".

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAQmYuvUgOs

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

This is the best part:

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

So that's a yes vote from Say Nothing. Who's heading up this committee?

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'll call Jay Cutler and round up a gorilla. We'll be rich!

Cutler couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I doubt Tyson could take a chimpanzee for that matter. It's still pound for pound ludicrously stronger than a human being and it's got the maneuverability of a much smaller animal.

Great apes are loving crazy, if you don't know what they're capable of. I can't see any human overpowering one.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Travis343 posted:

Great apes are loving crazy, if you don't know what they're capable of. I can't see any human overpowering one.

Pictured: a human overpowering a great ape. Or a great ape overpowering a human. :smuggo:

e: or did I just :thejoke:?

dobbymoodge has a new favorite as of 14:03 on Sep 15, 2015

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad to see SA is still discussing whether humans could beat an animal in a fight in 2015, I was worried mid-2000s GBS had that market cornered

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
2000 gorilla sized chimpanzees or 2000 chimpanzee sized gorillas

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Travis343 posted:

I doubt Tyson could take a chimpanzee for that matter. It's still pound for pound ludicrously stronger than a human being and it's got the maneuverability of a much smaller animal.

Plus chimps have a fighting strategy of ripping their foes genitals off.

If they've heard of the Marquis of Queensbury, then they didn't think much of his rules.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

quote:

Dr Paul Booth of Keele University spotted the name ‘Roger Fuckebythenavele’ in the Chester county court plea rolls beginning on December 8, 1310. The man was being named three times part of a process to be outlawed, with the final mention coming on September 28, 1311.

Dr Booth believes that “this surname is presumably a nickname. I suggest it could either mean an actual attempt at copulation by an inexperienced youth, later reported by a rejected girlfriend, or an equivalent of the word ‘dimwit’ i.e. a man who might think that that was the correct way to go about it.”

http://www.medievalists.net/2015/09/10/the-earliest-use-of-the-f-word-discovered/

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Ignimbrite posted:

2000 gorilla sized chimpanzees or 2000 chimpanzee sized gorillas

One Gorilla with a Sega Genesis for a head.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Aesop Poprock posted:

I'm glad to see SA is still discussing whether humans could beat an animal in a fight in 2015, I was worried mid-2000s GBS had that market cornered

Dude it's a great topic with tons of areas to explore.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Mike Tyson could get ten free hits with a Louisville Slugger and the gorilla would paste him in one hit. A gorilla is hundreds of pounds of incredibly strong simian rage. ITS A GODDAMN GORILLA YOU IDIOTS.

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Because no matter when it is, our tangents will always find its way back to something.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Rough Lobster posted:

Mike Tyson could get ten free hits with a Louisville Slugger and the gorilla would paste him in one hit. A gorilla is hundreds of pounds of incredibly strong simian rage. ITS A GODDAMN GORILLA YOU IDIOTS.

You're assuming the gorilla would have time to hit back is my point. This isn't ME hitting a gorilla we're talking about, but Mike Tyson who would probably knock out the gorilla before it had a chance to even figure out what the hell was happening.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I was at the zoo a few years ago, and the big silverback gorilla did that thing where he beat his chest, then charged at a younger gorilla who was bothering him. I was standing very nearby, and nearly wet myself. They are HUGE, and seemingly entirely made of muscle and teeth. That thing running towards me was probably the closest I've come to pure, primal fear in my entire comfortable existence.

Gorillas are awesome.

Crow Jane has a new favorite as of 21:10 on Sep 15, 2015

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Choco1980 posted:

You're assuming the gorilla would have time to hit back is my point. This isn't ME hitting a gorilla we're talking about, but Mike Tyson who would probably knock out the gorilla before it had a chance to even figure out what the hell was happening.

If he snuck up on it asleep or something. Like you realize these are wild animals with appropriate senses of smell and hearing, right?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Crow Jane posted:

I was at the zoo a few years ago, and the big silverback gorilla did that thing where he beat his chest, then charged at a younger gorilla who was bothering him. I was standing very nearby, and nearly wet myself. They are HUGE, and seemingly entirely made of muscle and teeth. That thing running towards me was probably the closest I've come to pure, primal fear in my entire comfortable existence.

Gorillas are awesome.

Same but a lion who saw some kid's service dog.

It was awesome the lion wanted to eat the dog SO BAD and he was peeking around me trying to get a better look, heart rate went up because "run from lions" is a pretty strong instinct.

Travis343 posted:

If he snuck up on it asleep or something. Like you realize these are wild animals with appropriate senses of smell and hearing, right?
They're also fairly trusting of humans. Mike walks in with a banana, offers it and then sucker punch, there's a decent chance he could knock it out in one hit.

edit: Used the wrong "peek", my shame is eternal

theflyingorc has a new favorite as of 21:33 on Sep 15, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Right. Plus I've seen enough gorilla documentaries to know they'd probably try to run away before resorting to the limb-tearing off they could do.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

theflyingorc posted:

Same but a lion who saw some kid's service dog.

It was awesome the lion wanted to eat the dog SO BAD and he was peaking around me trying to get a better look, heart rate went up because "run from lions" is a pretty strong instinct.

They're also fairly trusting of humans. Mike walks in with a banana, offers it and then sucker punch, there's a decent chance he could knock it out in one hit.

Same but I got charged by a massive tiger at a zoo. Piss trickled out my penis.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

I gave up reading the thread on man vs Gorilla when it seemed the accepted tactic was to chew off your finger, coat it in poo poo, then stab the gorilla in the eye and wait till he dies of blood poisoning.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I gave up reading the thread on man vs Gorilla when it seemed the accepted tactic was to chew off your finger, coat it in poo poo, then stab the gorilla in the eye and wait till he dies of blood poisoning.

Is "run away and hope it dies of old age" not an accepted tactic?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb-vpmW1n7U

Look at the fear in that ranger's face as he gets up from being dragged by a gorilla. That's the face of a guy who knows that a gorilla could rip him in half without even getting winded.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo
You guys shouldn't be making light of such a tragic affliction.

http://www.theonion.com/article/man-dies-after-secret-4-year-battle-with-gorilla-2836

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

You guys ever read the letters to the editor? They're great. (Maybe NWS)

I actually had to double-check to see if New York Daily News was actually satire.

Bonus insanity:

Clochette has a new favorite as of 00:50 on Sep 16, 2015

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i could defeat a tree frog

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
How much can a gorilla deadlift?

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

Avshalom posted:

But could you feed on one?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

RandomFerret posted:

Koko there would have crushed him into a ball.

Mike Tyson wearing a suit of kittens vs koko the gorilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Avshalom posted:

I don't believe you.