Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else see behavior with ios 9.1 where music is using all your data? Through no prompting, my music has burned through 4 gigs of data in the last 5 days. I don't know if it decided to download my whole library or what.

Incidentally, in the Cellular setting I can turn off Music using cellular data. And in the Music settings, I can turn off cellular. Do these two switches behave differently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Molten Llama posted:

Nope. Encryption status gets passed back to the device, so your only options are to either remember the password (if she's on a Mac, check the keychain if you haven't already—sometimes there's an entry there that iTunes just lost track of) or wipe it and start over.

It sucks in this situation, but it's an intentional design decision to protect your data. Ideally iTunes would be a little more alarming about the consequences when you enable encrypted backups.

Yeah, but this is nonsense on their part though. It doesn't protect your data one iota if you have the device in your hand and can fully access it.
But if this is the answer, then so be it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Don't really want to get into shipping chat, but even from the get-go shortly after midnight Friday, ATT's website gave an estimated shipping date of Oct 16-23. Has anyone who ordered through ATT seen a shipping date any sooner? I'm guessing it gets pulled in regardless.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Don't really want to get into shipping chat, but even from the get-go shortly after midnight Friday, ATT's website gave an estimated shipping date of Oct 16-23. Has anyone who ordered through ATT seen a shipping date any sooner? I'm guessing it gets pulled in regardless.

Nope, and the information going around is pretty much totally worthless. Some people are saying buckle in for 16-23 date because AT&T doesn't order enough + models, while others are more optimistic.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

unlawfulsoup posted:

Nope, and the information going around is pretty much totally worthless. Some people are saying buckle in for 16-23 date because AT&T doesn't order enough + models, while others are more optimistic.

Really it'll depend on how fast at&t moves them through their warehouse in DFW. Typically FedEx or UPS will move the cans down from SDF or MEM the same day; but then at&t has to box them up with the order info and send them out, which can take a day or two. If they get to at&t on the 22nd or earlier and if at&t gets the outbound packages ready to go out by the 23rd people should see them on the 25th. I'd look for extra flights on those routes with no history, those will probably be, or be caused by, iPhone shipments.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Anyone know when Apples new iCloud storage pricing goes into effect? I'm out of storage and don't want to pay the higher price if I don't have too.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
The rose gold is looking to already be the "hard to find" iPhone. Seems to be back ordered at multiple carriers (mid to late August depending on the model).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

The rose gold is looking to already be the "hard to find" iPhone. Seems to be back ordered at multiple carriers (mid to late August depending on the model).

People love having stupid looking things just because it'll make them stand out and force people to realize they have the latest and greatest. :v:

I went for one of the classic colors and was easily able to reserve for the 25th.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Duckman2008 posted:

If you don't have the new color how will people know that you have a new iPhone?!?!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Duckman2008 posted:

Phew. Space Grey supremacy (bring back the true black :( ).

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The hilarious thing about people needing a certain color iPhone is that most people put their iPhones in cases and the color on the back will never ever be seen anyway :v:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

poo poo by August you might as well wait for the iPhone 7.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah it's going to be the breakout color, it'll be like the Gold 6+ all over again, glad I got mine coming on the 25th.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

Anyone know when Apples new iCloud storage pricing goes into effect? I'm out of storage and don't want to pay the higher price if I don't have too.

If I was going to guess, I'd guess tomorrow with the release of the new iOS or 9/30 with El Capitan, with tomorrow being the more likely.

Verizon doesn't have any type of subsidy lock on their phones, right? I know they don't have a sim lock, but I'm trying to see if there's any reason I can't sell/trade-in my iPhone 6 with 1 year left on the contract that subsidized it and do the Apple Upgrade Program for a 6s (other than that I'll be paying extra line access to Verizon for another year plus paying Apple on a monthly basis).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm glad front color is vastly more important to me than rear. Somewhat less so that it leaves my option as Space Grey. (Bring back Slate or at least Space Black from the Apple Watch!)

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

A lot of people mad they couldn't reserve a rose gold phone in here.

idempodunk
May 12, 2001
Toilet Rascal
I am an existing AT&T customer and want to switch to T-Mobile. I'd like to start fresh, with an entirely new phone number (local to where I live now). I've preordered an unlocked phone from Apple and had to select T-Mobile anyways, but I don't actually have any relationship with T-Mobile yet. Is this kosher? Should I be giving T-Mobile some sort of heads up?

FWIW, I'm still on contract with AT&T for another month or so. I don't care if I'm paying for two plans simultaneously while waiting for the AT&T contract to end.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

A lot of people mad they couldn't reserve a rose gold phone in here.

Yeah, you figured us all out chief.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

FLOOR_MASTER posted:

I am an existing AT&T customer and want to switch to T-Mobile. I'd like to start fresh, with an entirely new phone number (local to where I live now). I've preordered an unlocked phone from Apple and had to select T-Mobile anyways, but I don't actually have any relationship with T-Mobile yet. Is this kosher? Should I be giving T-Mobile some sort of heads up?

FWIW, I'm still on contract with AT&T for another month or so. I don't care if I'm paying for two plans simultaneously while waiting for the AT&T contract to end.

Nope. They send you the phone, you do what you want. It's unlocked. I did this last year.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
I am buying a full price 6S for AT&T. Will it be unlocked? It should be right? Since it is not doing anything to my contract and I am paying full price directly to Apple?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

If you're buying directly from Apple, then yes it is unlocked. Would only be locked if you bought it from AT&T, and even then they would unlock it for you.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Endless Mike posted:

I'm glad front color is vastly more important to me than rear. Somewhat less so that it leaves my option as Space Grey. (Bring back Slate or at least Space Black from the Apple Watch!)

I tried white with the 6+ and don’t plan on going back to a small black phone. I’ve never left this one behind anywhere, and phone video/photo viewing is fine.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I dont know if it was Siri or Apple Maps, but Im no longer using Apple Maps after this.

5 times I tried to get Siri to give me directions to a specific street address (eg. number, street, suburb) and it just kept bringing up directions to the cinema in the area. I know where the cinema is, but I wasnt going there. I needed directions to a house in that area that I hadnt been to before. Totally different street names, and it definitely doesnt sound like I am saying 'cinema'.

Same phrase into google maps and it hits first time.

I used to tell people "Apple maps is fine if you know the address of where you are going (and the integration makes it worth it), but Google Maps is better if you want to find the nearest XYZ" but now I just say 'just use google maps its entirely better'

Googles traffic re-routing is way better too. I just moved house and have been exploring new ways to work and google takes me around all the lovely bits that Apple Maps just has you jump right into.

I've also noticed if you arent specific with your suburb of the street, Siri just routes you to the nearest one to wherever your last location was when you closed maps.

The thing is, I dont remember it being this dumb in the past?

SteveMcQueen
Jun 16, 2005

My apologies if this has come up recently, I read through the last few pages and didn't see anything.

I have a Verizon 5S contract that is up. I'd like to pick up a 6s+ through the Apple iPhone upgrade program but missed all of the local reservations. Is my best option to wait until the 25th and try and reserve again or is there another way to get on the apple upgrade program?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kaizoku posted:

I tried white with the 6+ and don’t plan on going back to a small black phone. I’ve never left this one behind anywhere, and phone video/photo viewing is fine.

Cool. I have a gold 5s (cheapest I could find used) and found it very distracting when I was using it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

fordan posted:

If I was going to guess, I'd guess tomorrow with the release of the new iOS or 9/30 with El Capitan, with tomorrow being the more likely.

Verizon doesn't have any type of subsidy lock on their phones, right? I know they don't have a sim lock, but I'm trying to see if there's any reason I can't sell/trade-in my iPhone 6 with 1 year left on the contract that subsidized it and do the Apple Upgrade Program for a 6s (other than that I'll be paying extra line access to Verizon for another year plus paying Apple on a monthly basis).

Verizon does not have a subsidy lock no.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Endless Mike posted:

Cool. I have a gold 5s (cheapest I could find used) and found it very distracting when I was using it.

I don’t have the best vision which probably helps. Try staring at the sun?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Anyone else see behavior with ios 9.1 where music is using all your data? Through no prompting, my music has burned through 4 gigs of data in the last 5 days. I don't know if it decided to download my whole library or what.

Incidentally, in the Cellular setting I can turn off Music using cellular data. And in the Music settings, I can turn off cellular. Do these two switches behave differently?
Music does this poo poo in iOS 8 for me, albeit not as badly as 4 gigs in 5 days. I Googled it and other people have the same thing. I dunno what's wrong though.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
http://9to5mac.com/2015/09/15/att-wont-throttle-unlimited-data-in-congestion-until-users-hit-22gb-an-over-4x-increase/

Holding onto those unlimited plans looks like it's paying off now. :)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I replaced the battery on my iPhone 5 with the kit at ifixit and it was relatively painless. The only difficult part was removing the battery cause it was glued in pretty tight. The guide says to pry it out from the right side so that the plastic tool is leveraged against the logic board and other components but it was much easier to pry from the left side using the case as leverage.

So this is a new thing that started happening recently. Safari now shows boxes/icons when I open a new tab showing recently visited places. I've never seen this before and I haven't updated at all. How do I get rid of them? I can hold and delete but I just don't want them showing up period.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

After selling my iPhone 6 to someone on Craigslist yesterday, I'm using a friend's old 4S until the 25th. Jesus Christ this phone is sluggish. I feel like I stepped into a time machine. I can feel the judgmental glares of the people around me on the train and going up the elevator in my office. I'm glad iOS 9 is available on this thing but I can't for the life of me really understand why they even bothered.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

ShoogaSlim posted:

After selling my iPhone 6 to someone on Craigslist yesterday, I'm using a friend's old 4S until the 25th. Jesus Christ this phone is sluggish. I feel like I stepped into a time machine. I can feel the judgmental glares of the people around me on the train and going up the elevator in my office. I'm glad iOS 9 is available on this thing but I can't for the life of me really understand why they even bothered.

Is it running iOS 9 now? If so, did you do a clean install with it?

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Between this & getting possibly 20% back off the new iPhone from Discover this has been the best iPhone season ever.

dutchbstrd posted:

I am buying a full price 6S for AT&T. Will it be unlocked? It should be right? Since it is not doing anything to my contract and I am paying full price directly to Apple?
No, it will not be unlocked out of the box and, according to what I faced, Apple will still check your ATT account and charge you an "upgrade fee". The only way around it was to buy the true "unlocked" version which lacks Band 30 from the ATT phone. If you buy the ATT one and you're out of contract you could possibly turn right around and request it to be unlocked through ATT though. More info is here https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB414532&cv=820&partner=LinkShare&siteId=je6NUbpObpQ-3uEsGQfAzZFYotr56O0cEQ

suddenlyissoon fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 16, 2015

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
When does the OTA for iOS 9 hit? Does it come out in waves? I've never had an iOS device during a major update like this, but I'm excited to finally be on board for it today!

Edit: vvvv Thank you!

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 16, 2015

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lblitzer posted:

When does the OTA for iOS 9 hit? Does it come out in waves? I've never had an iOS device during a major update like this, but I'm excited to finally be on board for it today!

http://www.cultofmac.com/389051/heres-what-time-ios-9-will-be-released-where-you-are/

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Are content blockers getting released to the App Store today as well? I want to get my ad-blocking on.

Boris Galerkin posted:

So this is a new thing that started happening recently. Safari now shows boxes/icons when I open a new tab showing recently visited places. I've never seen this before and I haven't updated at all. How do I get rid of them? I can hold and delete but I just don't want them showing up period.

Frequently visited sites, right?

Settings > Safari > Frequently Visited Sites > Off

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 16, 2015

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Snuffman posted:

Are content blockers getting released to the App Store today as well? I want to get my ad-blocking on.

Here's a list

http://www.loopinsight.com/2015/09/16/a-list-of-content-blockers-for-ios-9/

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Aaw yeah here comes the barrage of app updates. Time to use up that sweet unlimited ATT data.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Given my above noted concerns about data use, this couldn't come at a better time. I just passed 5 gigs less than 2 weeks into my billing cycle, I need this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm currently using Quicktime Player to record my iPhone's screen on my Mac, but that doesn't include taps or gestures. Does anyone know of any apps that will record the screen and record gestures? Or do I have to use a video editing package to add those manually?