Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

That's the thing though, it's very easy to get in over your head and a lot of these guys just don't have any business experience at all. If you know what your getting into and don't jump the gun then I can see how it would be hugely useful and obviously plenty of people have used it to great effect. It's just that a lot of these people go into it without any plan at all and that's when you end up with big controversies and poo poo.

How does that add up to the "worst thing to happen to webcomics"? Being in over your head is not a kickstarter or webcomic exclusive thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Patreon and Kickstarter aren't really comparable because as you say, they're for entirely different things, it's apples and oranges. Not sure why you're letting like three controversial Kickstarters sour the hundreds that have panned out great though! All systems are prone to flaws if you use them incorrectly, and webcomics are far from the only catagory of Kickstarter to occasionally fluff up.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

That's the thing though, it's very easy to get in over your head and a lot of these guys just don't have any business experience at all. If you know what your getting into and don't jump the gun then I can see how it would be hugely useful and obviously plenty of people have used it to great effect. It's just that a lot of these people go into it without any plan at all and that's when you end up with big controversies and poo poo.

I don't know, I guess I just find it disturbing that the current system can be so hit-or-miss. Paetron seems like a much better system when it comes to accountability and poo poo but that's more of a "steady source of income" thing rather than a "build capital for big project" thing.

most small businesses fail for pretty much these reasons and IDK that the field was much better back when all but like four of those guys never had an opportunity to fail, cause there was never any real chance they'd manage anything but doodling in their off hours for ad money in the first place

off the top of my head Spike the Templar Arizona lady has built like a little media empire entirely off doing a successful Kickstarter every year

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 13, 2015

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
It's not "Jorts" but this is okay too.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

I hadn't noticed the wiki link at the bottom of the page until now. It's amazing.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

i put it all on the line. My butt cred.... is in tatters......

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Reiley posted:

i put it all on the line. My butt cred.... is in tatters......

On the other hand, whoever said "Butt Fighters" earlier wins something!

inkblot posted:

I hadn't noticed the wiki link at the bottom of the page until now. It's amazing.

I love how it references the (nonexistant) Buttlord that came before Buttlord GT.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

mycot posted:

I love how it references the (nonexistant) Buttlord that came before Buttlord GT.

The original Buttlord was drawn back when Andy was in college to piss off a guy who sat next to him in art history. Then he made a bunch of goofy comics where Xyber-Huge showed up because it was a funny joke. Buttlord has been around for a really really long time, all of the references in the wiki are true.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
I have actually seen the original buttlord comics and they are... bad. Not surprisingly they look exactly like something you'd expect a guy to scribble on a piece of lined notebook paper in a boring college class. There's a reason you probably haven't seen them.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

:perfect:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Hahah everything going on in the latest Poppy.

inkblot posted:

The original Buttlord was drawn back when Andy was in college to piss off a guy who sat next to him in art history. Then he made a bunch of goofy comics where Xyber-Huge showed up because it was a funny joke. Buttlord has been around for a really really long time, all of the references in the wiki are true.

Heresiarch posted:

I have actually seen the original buttlord comics and they are... bad. Not surprisingly they look exactly like something you'd expect a guy to scribble on a piece of lined notebook paper in a boring college class. There's a reason you probably haven't seen them.
I would like to know more.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I don't know, I guess I just find it disturbing that the current system can be so hit-or-miss. Paetron seems like a much better system when it comes to accountability and poo poo but that's more of a "steady source of income" thing rather than a "build capital for big project" thing.

In the past few years, I've backed 54 book printings between Kickstarter and IGG, largely webcomic printings with some anthologies and special projects (like To Be or Not To Be) thrown in. Of those, 33 have delivered the book. The other 21 are mostly recent, and still in their release window. The most overdue in my list is Ran's The End--currently over two years late. The books are being shipped out, but slowly because of the cost.
Most were delivered past their estimated release date, but usually only by a few months. Ava's Demon Volume 2 is 'only' 3 months late, and the last update indicates the books should be coming from the printer sometime in the next few weeks.
Some had significant delays because of the creator's inexperience or personal problems. Order of the Stick's is still technically ongoing because he greatly overpromised on stretch goals. Everyone got their books, but the digital rewards are still ongoing. Sad Pictures for Children very nearly collapsed because of the creator's breakdown and was only saved by the Cards Against Humanity guy (I got my copy before the incident happened, though). Amanda Lafrenais has struggled with financial and personal problems with her last two. Shipping costs always seem to bite creators in the rear end.
Experience with the book printing process and already having some sort of process in place helps greatly, of course. You don't have to worry about Spike, Ryan North, or Kris Straub flaking out on a kickstarter.

Really, SPFC was the only book printing I was a part of that technically failed.
Patreon's nice, but it's usually not suitable for getting a book printed. Creators are lucky if they can get a living wage out of it, and the upfront costs for a printing run will very rarely be there.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Fish Noise posted:

I would like to know more.

Me too, I've seen Hard Hittaz and Buttlord Kids but never the original Buttlord.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Pyroclastic posted:

In the past few years, I've backed 54 book printings between Kickstarter and IGG, largely webcomic printings with some anthologies and special projects (like To Be or Not To Be) thrown in. Of those, 33 have delivered the book. The other 21 are mostly recent, and still in their release window.

Yeah, I'm in a similar position, the only comics kickstarter I've backed that has been a total bust so far (out of dozens) it K.Thor Jensen's.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Kojiro posted:

Patreon and Kickstarter aren't really comparable because as you say, they're for entirely different things, it's apples and oranges. Not sure why you're letting like three controversial Kickstarters sour the hundreds that have panned out great though! All systems are prone to flaws if you use them incorrectly, and webcomics are far from the only catagory of Kickstarter to occasionally fluff up.

I've backed quite a few kickstarters and the "print copy of a webcomic" ones have been just about the most reliable and least risk (and have resulted in a bunch of really nice graphic novels on my bookshelf), which makes sense since it's a pretty perfect fit to the model -- the content is *done* (though it may require some pre-press prep), a print run requires a minimum order to be viable, the costs are highly predictable, etc. Apart from people who just simply don't do the math (fees, taxes, overhead, etc), the biggest place they seem to get into trouble is crazy reward trinkets beyond actual books that turn out to be complex to fabricate or ship.

Both Patreon and Kickstarter are awesome tools for enabling creators to make their stuff (and make a living) and for me to give them money to do so.

Of 58 total kickstarter projects I've backed, 22 have been books from webcomic creators, and 19 of those have arrived in fantastic condition and 3 are in progress. Software can be really hit or miss (though I've been lucky), and hardware projects are probably the most difficult to predict success of.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, adding trinkets can be dangerous. It's essential to have a firm quote ahead of time, since some things have odd price breaks or are mysteriously expensive relative to other goods.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
In case you haven't been following, Mare Internum is now not only horrifying but exceedingly loving weird.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Roger Explosion posted:

In case you haven't been following, Mare Internum is now not only horrifying but exceedingly loving weird.

Soooomeone's been watching that David Attenborough video about the mating habits of the leopard slug

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Oh hey, Girl Genius is picking up an an incredibly old plot hook.

I always figured they would come back to it eventually if they went long enough, but still, it's been over a decade and a transition from print to online.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
About fuckin time (no pun intended). If we're explicitly getting up to the time travel junk then we might actually be within sight of the end. Which is to say, definitely not more than another decade away :v:

e/ when we get up to Gil wearing a geisterdamen costume, we'll definitely nearly be done.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 15, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Roger Explosion posted:

Another comic by The Meek person? How long until this one stops updating?

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I get the impression that her previous long hiatus (you'll note The Meek is back and has been updating weekly or better) was largely due to some legal/contractual dispute with her print publisher (hard to be sure, but reading between the lines of various posts, that's my take-away) which finally expired. I suspect that, like many creatives that have been burned by a bad contract, she'll be more cautious in the future, and I'm hopeful that the Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/shingworks?ty=h) will help make dedicated comic'ing more doable.

At the moment I'm enjoying both Mare Internum and The Meek updating 1-2 times a week. Yay comics.

Mare Internum is intended to be a (much) shorter story. Not sure if her plan is 100% The Meek after it wraps or another small story alongside, but either sounds good to me.

e: per reply below, sounds like it was probably not the publisher

Quinton fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Sep 15, 2015

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Another comic by The Meek person? How long until this one stops updating?

The Meek and Mare Internum have been getting regular updates split between them for a while now. Mare Internum itself has been updating like clockwork since the beginng of the year (I haven't had time to go back and re-read The Meek yet myself). Der-shing also has a fairly successful Patreon going to support the comic.

<edit> heyo!

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I think Jimmy might finally be dead.

Or possessing a possible foetus inside Hunter's currently possessed body.

It's a comic by Jason Shiga, he's possessing the foetus.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Quinton posted:

I get the impression that her previous long hiatus (you'll note The Meek is back and has been updating weekly or better) was largely due to some legal/contractual dispute with her print publisher (hard to be sure, but reading between the lines of various posts, that's my take-away) which finally expired. I suspect that, like many creatives that have been burned by a bad contract, she'll be more cautious in the future, and I'm hopeful that the Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/shingworks?ty=h) will help make dedicated comic'ing more doable.

iirc Tracy Butler went to bat for 4de when rumors were swirling around about that, so who really knows what was going on

Ah, here it is. Looks like the long post she reblogged about it all was deleted though. :iiam:

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Sep 15, 2015

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

It must have been some other entity -- I had assumed the publisher since they'd be the ones most likely to end up with some legal ability to interfere (and there's plenty of precedent for creators inadvertantly giving up rights they had not meant to), but who knows. The salient point is that as far as I can tell Der-Shing is committed to telling this story, was apparently prevented from doing so for a while but is now back with a vengeance, and the end result is we get pages of The Meek again, so hooray for that.

Quinton fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Sep 15, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

Oh hey, Girl Genius is picking up an an incredibly old plot hook.

I always figured they would come back to it eventually if they went long enough, but still, it's been over a decade and a transition from print to online.

I always figured that particular plot hook was the comic's central plotline and it was always building up to it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Pyroclastic posted:

Yeah, several years ago, and she's been largely silent since then. No posts on the blogspot in 2 years, nothing on the facebook in over a year (where she said she was writing a new blog post and a second book), nothing on twitter in almost a year. Considering how deep her depression went, I'm getting worried again. :ohdear:

You should listen to her interview on Mark Maron's WTF podcast. It's quite illuminating. Not only she has clinical depression, but also she had cancer and had to get her baby-making bits removed and her sister drove a car into a train. poo poo just keeps piling onto her.

That said, I believe she said that despite all this, she's doing okay-ish now and the reason there's no new posts is that she decided to stop posting online and just publish everything she writes in a book. Maybe she'll post some of the new poo poo when the book comes out, I dunno.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

MikeJF posted:

I always figured that particular plot hook was the comic's central plotline and it was always building up to it.

It's not the first time they've called back to it, either- there's this (...which is also super old, in fairness), and that teleportation lamp thing that's floating around somewhere. I think there's a bit in Mechanicsburg dealing with it too? (I'd trawl through the arc to find the exact scene, but I don't have four hours spare right now :v:)

e: That teleportation lamp thing is why the Castle's frozen in time to begin with, isn't it?

IT'S OKAY GUYS I KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON HONEST

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 15, 2015

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Nuns with Guns posted:

iirc Tracy Butler went to bat for 4de when rumors were swirling around about that, so who really knows what was going on

Ah, here it is. Looks like the long post she reblogged about it all was deleted though. :iiam:

I thought she went to bat for 4D over Tessa Stone instead? If you look through The Meek's comment section, I remember Der-Shing saying her workload was too demanding to also be updating*. It's easy to see a publisher as faceless but artists often have personal reasons for parceling out their time the way they do.

* I thought I remembered her saying it was too exhausting emotionally at that time as well, but as I can't seem to find that I've edited it out.

Pick fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 15, 2015

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Her words were that " the vital part of [her] that enjoys making comics has been poisoned." You can still see it with the wayback machine.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Whatever the exact cause or causes for the lack of The Meek the previous few years, I am really happy to have it back, and Mare Internum is quality stuff too (though yeah it just took a turn for the seriously weird this week).

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Pick posted:

I thought she went to bat for 4D over Tessa Stone instead? If you look through The Meek's comment section, I remember Der-Shing saying her workload was too demanding to also be updating*. It's easy to see a publisher as faceless but artists often have personal reasons for parceling out their time the way they do.

* I thought I remembered her saying it was too exhausting emotionally at that time as well, but as I can't seem to find that I've edited it out.

Sounds pretty possible too!

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Megazver posted:

You should listen to her interview on Mark Maron's WTF podcast. It's quite illuminating. Not only she has clinical depression, but also she had cancer and had to get her baby-making bits removed and her sister drove a car into a train. poo poo just keeps piling onto her.

That said, I believe she said that despite all this, she's doing okay-ish now and the reason there's no new posts is that she decided to stop posting online and just publish everything she writes in a book. Maybe she'll post some of the new poo poo when the book comes out, I dunno.

Aw, that's a premium episode.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Sam & Fuzzy: :tviv:

I was not expecting this! The demon fridge always seemed like a bit joke that got grandfathered into plot relevance by accident, I always thought once it was gone that'd be it and we'd never hear about it again, despite how pivotal it was to Sam getting into this whole crazy situation in the first place.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Sep 16, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Oh jesus christ, are you making GBS threads me? Until I read your post, I parsed that as "meatbag", but holy poo poo. :aaaaa:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Renaissance Robot posted:

Sam & Fuzzy: :tviv:

I was not expecting this! The demon fridge always seemed like a bit joke that got grandfathered into plot relevance by accident, I always thought once it was gone that'd be it and we'd never hear about it again, despite how pivotal it was to Sam getting into this whole crazy situation in the first place.

Ooh... so did Sin really know what Brain was?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
KSBD is now $116.50 from full-time updates. Shall we start a pool on how long it'll be before it hits that? I'm betting it'll get a boost after the next update.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
RE: K6BD
I saw that the last milestone that's available includes an RPG book. Is there any idea what rule set it will be using or does the author have their own in the works? This setting seems like a relative of the Planescape setting which was another popular multi-verse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Something FATE-derived might work. I can't imagine anything rules-heavy would work at all since a big part of the appeal of the background is how the local physics seem driven by a universal narrative rather than any particular set of natural laws.

• Locked thread