Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Ketch
Jul 5, 2005

:getin:
Lipstick Apathy

Tommofork posted:

I think the ending of DoD is when one of the Malazan captains reveals he can somehow don armour of ice just like a stormrider can, and that he used to roll with Greymane. I'm not sure how he could do it.

God drat I read that book like a month ago and it's already vague and hazy, I can't even remember his name.

Ruthan Gudd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

Tommofork posted:

I haven't read the ICE books, but there's a lot of references to Malazans manning some kind of wall against the Stormriders. I wouldn't really call it spoilers as it's not really a secret that spoils anything, it's just part of the world, like Jaghut roaming around. People manning the wall are considered to be bad asses and it's apparently very rare for them to stop and be sent to other duties. I get the feeling there is a bigger story behind Captain Faradan Sort, the captain formerly of the wall, but I don't know what it is.

e: Sort owns though, that much is indisputable.

Was it manned by the Malazans? I thought it was manned by recruits specifically for the wall or criminals mainly since I remember it being a big deal that Sort had served on the wall. I could be completely wrong though.

Tommofork posted:

God drat I read that book like a month ago and it's already vague and hazy, I can't even remember his name.

Ruthan Gudd

Jack Ketch
Jul 5, 2005

:getin:
Lipstick Apathy

mornhaven posted:

Was it manned by the Malazans? I thought it was manned by recruits specifically for the wall or criminals mainly since I remember it being a big deal that Sort had served on the wall. I could be completely wrong though.

If I remember right Korel would use prisoners of war to man the wall along with their military, I think Sort mentions to Ruthan at some point she fought three links from Greymane.
Also I think there was a part where Traveller, I think in RotCG being chained up and escaping the stormwall, I could be wrong.

Jack Ketch fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 15, 2015

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

mornhaven posted:

No it was manned by the Korelri, who the Malazans were apparently unable to conquer previously.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Jack Ketch posted:

Also I think there was a part where Traveller, I think in RotCG being chained up and escaping the stormwall, I could be wrong.

Thats Bars. IRON BARS. And now we know why they call you Iron Bars.

Ugh.

The best throwaway line is when Ruthann has the light bulb go off about Quick Ben and thinks its pretty funny how he is now a Malazan squad mage.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015

Spermy Smurf posted:

Thats Bars. IRON BARS. And now we know why they call you Iron Bars.

Ugh.

The best throwaway line is when Ruthann has the light bulb go off about Quick Ben and thinks its pretty funny how he is now a Malazan squad mage.

No Traveller was on the wall in RotCG (well really it was after he escaped). Iron Bars was on the wall in Stonewielder.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
poo poo. Yeah, you are right. The random toblaiki carries him away right?

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015

Spermy Smurf posted:

Yup, can't remember how to spell his name off the top of my head. But they were both (Traveller and Iron Bars) considered champions of the wall if I recall correctly.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Spermy Smurf posted:

Sort of - Ereko (?), the last of the Thel Akai, who I may be misremembering but were possibly the precursors of the Toblakai?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Is it ever explained who/what Ruthan Gudd is?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Thanks for the name thread, but I think you should spoiler stuff about him for first time readers. There's a long burn between his introduction and when poo poo starts happening.

e: also thanks for the stuff about the wall. I don't want to read ICE but that was interesting! Erikson kept on referencing a disastrous Malazan campaign in Koreli and Greymane but it was never really explained what was going on.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Eschatos posted:

Not really. He maintains he's a human who somehow borrows the magic which is sorta confirmed by ICE since Greymane recalls him as just another soldier. Why he's afraid of QB and why do Imass hold him in such high regard, :iiam:.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Eschatos posted:

No, but fan theory is he's the missing Elder God

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

He said that if he met Draconus one of them would die so he is a pretty big force.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Ethiser posted:

He said that if he met Draconus one of them would die so he is a pretty big force.

Not necessarily. You don't need to be a pretty big force to get killed by Draconus.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Hood's posse of hilarious Jag jerks might be my favorite faction to show up in this end stretch.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Ruthan Gudd is definitely on my list of characters I came to like the more I learned about them, similar to Lostara Yil.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Illinois Smith posted:

Hood's posse of hilarious Jag jerks might be my favorite faction to show up in this end stretch.

They were one of my favorite parts of the series. Easily as good at times as some of the sapper exchanges variously throughout the books and even sometimes on par with Tehol/Bugg.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
I don't know, the sappers exchanges are the best ha.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Another underappreciated pair: Kindly and Pores.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

anilEhilated posted:

This one took some time to grow on me, but I agree: it's under-rated.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

No love for the best Malazan soldier, Nefarias Bredd? I heard he killed eighteen raiders in one night.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
I can't not see Kurtwood Smith as Kindly.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

rejutka posted:

I can't not see Kurtwood Smith as Kindly.

For some reason I imagine Gene Hackman.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

anilEhilated posted:

One of my favourite lines was Faradan Sort remarking that Kindly was lucky to have someone like Pores to match wits with. :kimchi:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
The comb scene had me laughing. I don't even remember what book it was in, but it was unexpected and handled rather well, imo.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I'm reading The Crippled God and I've been avoiding this thread like the plague for the last couple years. I had trouble getting through Dust of Dreams. I'd get 1/4 of the way through and just put it down and never pick it back up. I started doing audiobooks a couple months ago and now I'm halfway through TCG and I just got to the part where quick Ben wakes up Kalam and I have the biggest smile on my face because I know the party is about to start. I love this series.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015

Daric posted:

I'm reading The Crippled God and I've been avoiding this thread like the plague for the last couple years. I had trouble getting through Dust of Dreams. I'd get 1/4 of the way through and just put it down and never pick it back up. I started doing audiobooks a couple months ago and now I'm halfway through TCG and I just got to the part where quick Ben wakes up Kalam and I have the biggest smile on my face because I know the party is about to start. I love this series.

I had a hard time with TCG, too. It just reached this point where it was kind of depressing for me (but it's supposed to be I feel like). But it really does pick up.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I can understanding DoD being hard going, but holy poo poo the ending goes nuts. TtH is the same. I put down TCG when I started a new job and got to playing bloodborne. I've got to pick it up again before I forget everything from this read through and have to start again.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Daric posted:

I just got to the part where quick Ben wakes up Kalam and I have the biggest smile on my face because I know the party is about to start.
You have no idea.

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011
I'm on my second read through and just got to the part where the regulars salute the marines and heavies as they march out. I remembered TCG was good, but I had forgotten just how good.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fenrir posted:

For some reason I imagine Gene Hackman.

Circa Unforgiven, yeah, I can see that too.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Also, (Reaper's Gale) had the most depressing loving ending ever. WHY. WHY DID YOU KILL TRULL oh my loving god, he slaughtered Toc and Trull in the same book and all I ever wanted was for those two to come out of this, somehow. But no. They cut off Toc's second face and that horrible bastard shoved a knife into Trull's back, and he was the loving hero of the Edur. Why Steven :( Why do you have to take away all the characters I love :(

The loss of whiskeyjack is nothing compared to this.. this really hurt :(

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Sep 20, 2015

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
If it's any consolation, it gets worse

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I agree, I think somehow the death of Trull Sengar is emotionally one of the hardest punches the books ever throw. The end of Midnight Tides also hits me quite badly.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I always let out an evil chuckle when people pity Toc and they're not at the end of the series.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Shockeh posted:

I agree, I think somehow the death of Trull Sengar is emotionally one of the hardest punches the books ever throw. The end of Midnight Tides also hits me quite badly.

Well, yeah. Exiled from his people because he dared to speak out against what they were becoming, making one of the best buddy friendships in the series, being such a martial bad rear end that he held Icarium for a time while wounded after fighting only to protect Minala's Shadow child soldiers, choosing to let a summoned daemon get away with tricking him to go home because he understood, being such a stand up guy that he impressed T'lan Imass, kicking the poo poo out of Clip after Clip was all "I'm the mortal sword of the Black-Winged Lord and lol spears guys are chumps", going back for Rhulad to try to help him when any sane person would've ran. He'd just found love and was going to get married and have a son. And he dies stabbed in the back by a complete piece of poo poo because the Errant just loves his loving pathos.

In closing, gently caress Errastas so much.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Fenrir posted:

Also, (Reaper's Gale) had the most depressing loving ending ever. WHY. WHY DID YOU KILL TRULL oh my loving god, he slaughtered Toc and Trull in the same book and all I ever wanted was for those two to come out of this, somehow. But no. They cut off Toc's second face and that horrible bastard shoved a knife into Trull's back, and he was the loving hero of the Edur. Why Steven :( Why do you have to take away all the characters I love :(

The loss of whiskeyjack is nothing compared to this.. this really hurt :(

Yeah but on the other hand Karsa chumping Rhulad like a supreme metal badass and then telling the Crippled God to gently caress himself was boss as hell.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

rejutka posted:

Yeah but on the other hand Karsa chumping Rhulad like a supreme metal badass and then telling the Crippled God to gently caress himself was boss as hell.

That was really the only consolation to be had out of Reaper's Gale. The rest was just pain :smith:

Seriously I loving cried when Trull died. I can't even remember the last time I cried reading a book. Maybe when Flint died in Dragonlance 30 years ago.

DON'T YOU PITY HIM, FID. YOU UNDERSTAND ME? DON'T YOU PITY HIM!

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Just to be a bit more of a bastard, you know you didn't mention Beak?