Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Senf posted:

WHEN TRUMP KICKS THE ILLEGALS OUT OF MEXIFORNIA, THE STATE ECONOMY WILL TAKE OFF

edit: Make America's Military Great Again!

Heh I love SA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
TFW Lincoln Chafee won't shut up and let you dig into the fruit salad bowl.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Spaceman Future! posted:

the last great provocateur to wear sandals was:

Marshall Applewhite?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Spaceman Future! posted:

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

MaxxBot posted:

Hugh Hewitt (moderator for the debate tomorrow) just said that if Hillary flames out the Dems would nominate Bloomberg :barf:.

This is what passes for a super-serious political commentator in the USA ...

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Spaceman Future! posted:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dahn posted:

I wonder what % of citizens that are legal to vote don't speak English. Isn't in a requirement for naturalization?

If you're old or have certain disabilities (including muteness, iirc), you're not required to learn English to become a naturalized citizen, and they'll have alternate paperwork for you to go through where the normal person must use them in English.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Real leaders wear their wingtips at all times!

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

If you're old or have certain disabilities (including muteness, iirc), you're not required to learn English to become a naturalized citizen, and they'll have alternate paperwork for you to go through where the normal person must use them in English.

So thats at least 2-3% of the US population

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
At least he's wearing a suit that fits in his poster.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Joementum posted:

TFW Lincoln Chafee won't shut up and let you dig into the fruit salad bowl.

someone's gonna win that frisbee in a measurement-guessing contest

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

clone people have no souls

also clown people

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

I'd make a joke about Zizek being a goon, but we all know SMG is actually Zizek.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i should have expected it but lol at them playing anchors aweigh

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Fun fact: the USS Iowa and USS Wisconsin are required by an act of Congress from 2005 to be kept in sufficient shape (avoid rust, mechanical upkeep) that they could be put into service, if needed.

They are also anchored on opposite coasts in case they need to be pressed into service to defend against a bi-coastal attack.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Joementum posted:

Fun fact: the USS Iowa and USS Wisconsin are required by an act of Congress from 2005 to be kept in sufficient shape (avoid rust, mechanical upkeep) that they could be put into service, if needed.

They are also anchored on opposite coasts in case they need to be pressed into service to defend against a bi-coastal attack.

I can't for the life of me think of a job a single battleship could do that couldn't be better accomplished by an aircraft carrier or DDG.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ISIS splits up and IS attacked the west coast and IS attacks the east coast.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

it'd be p cool if they expanded that to all museum ships just so they could get some actual funds

also who knows we may need a WW1 era dreadnought to protect the gulf of mexico

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Warmachine posted:

I can't for the life of me think of a job a single battleship could do that couldn't be better accomplished by an aircraft carrier or DDG.

look super badass and scare the soviets??? duh

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
"America" by Neil Diamond was an interesting choice...

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
Wink Martindale opening for Trump

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Holy poo poo! I was about to say, "Is that Wink Martindale?" AND IT IS!!!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Not to worry I'm sure the navy responsibly spends money on modern sea worthy ships with important and relevant missions.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Joementum posted:

Holy poo poo! I was about to say, "Is that Wink Martindale?" AND IT IS!!!

this is just lol all over

also for your wink needs

https://www.youtube.com/user/WinkMartindaleGames/videos

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

euphronius posted:

Not to worry I'm sure the navy responsibly spends money on modern sea worthy ships with important and relevant missions.

oh man wait til you hear about our new destroyer that melts in water

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Warmachine posted:

Make warhawk Congressmen feel safer?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

oh man wait til you hear about our new destroyer that melts in water

Was that made by the same company that made a plane that crashed when it rains.

Military contractors greatest foe: ambient water

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

euphronius posted:

Was that made by the same company that made a plane that crashed when it rains.

no we contracted a company that only made barges to make it tho

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Joementum posted:

I didn't realise Battleship was a documentary.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Warmachine posted:

Welcome to the state of naval warfare, post-1935 or so.

e: I mean for gently caress's sake a battleship would be bombed into a mile-deep grave before it got within twice the maximum gunnery range. The Missouriis a pretty cool museum but battleships were basically proven to be fossils in early WWII.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 16, 2015

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

so has wink always been a fascist?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Samuel Clemens posted:

I didn't realise Battleship was a documentary.

Yes, though the USS Missouri (the one at Pearl Harbor) is not required to be kept in the same condition, though it was the one Cher danced on, so there's that.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

gently caress i love that goddamn hat :allears:

e: :laffo: MARSOC

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

daww trump didnt wear his camo hat for the veterans, I wonder why :ohdear:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Raskolnikov38 posted:

so has wink always been a fascist?

There was a secret rule on What's this Song? that if the contestant guessed Deutschland Uber Alles they would automatically win.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Joementum posted:

Yes, though the USS Missouri (the one at Pearl Harbor) is not required to be kept in the same condition, though it was the one Cher danced on, so there's that.

The greatest thing about the Missouri is the indelible record of how the Canadian hosed things up for everyone.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Joementum posted:

Here's another fun fact about Iowa class battleships during one of the last firings of their weapons, in which the navy blamed an explosion on a suicidal homosexual, who turned out to not be homosexual or suicidal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Iowa_turret_explosion

quote:

The first investigation into the explosion, conducted by the U.S. Navy, concluded that one of the gun turret crew members, Clayton Hartwig, who died in the explosion, had deliberately caused it. During the investigation, numerous leaks to the media, later attributed to U.S. Navy officers and investigators, implied that Hartwig and another sailor, Kendall Truitt, had engaged in a homosexual relationship and that Hartwig had caused the explosion after their relationship had soured. In its report, however, the U.S. Navy concluded that the evidence did not show that Hartwig was homosexual but that he was suicidal and had caused the explosion with either an electronic or chemical detonator.
In response to the new findings, the U.S. Navy, with Sandia's assistance, reopened the investigation. In August 1991, Sandia and the GAO completed their reports, concluding that the explosion was likely caused by an accidental overram of powder bags into the breech of the 16-inch gun. The U.S. Navy, however, disagreed with Sandia's opinion and concluded that the cause of the explosion could not be determined. The U.S. Navy expressed regret (but not an apology) to Hartwig's family and closed its investigation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

who the gently caress let Fargo have the mic

• Locked thread