Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Thanks, Imgur front page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Have that on infinite loop and you can sum up the last couple years of Sega's treatment.

Wait a second his hand doesn't even touch her face! Just like Yakuza doesn't touch other countries...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I'm sure Yakuza 6 will come out in the US, just much later like the rest of the series main series.

With Yakuza 1 being remade they should totally release it here with all the same US VA they used for the original. :getin:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

abagofcheetos posted:

Games like Ishin have so little chance of being translated I'm not even considering them a possibility, nor would I ever want them to bother. They would translate Ishin, it would sell negative copies somehow, and we wouldn't see another Yakuza game again.

Not translating Ishin and getting it out in the US ASAP for the first six months of the PS4 was really stupid. I agree with what you say just they did have a big window where there was almost nothing like it on the system and very few games available in general. It would have sold pretty well just on the basis of "run around feudal Japan and stab people." This was during peak "Why isn't there an Assassin's Creed game where I can run around historical Japan" fervor too!

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

MrLonghair posted:

A localized ishin would sell better than 1-2 WiiU did.

To be fair, anything on PS4 localized for the West would sell better then 1-2 WiiU. They could out that Ishin vita mini game on PS4 and it would sell better.

That said Ishin and Kenzan both have pretty good guides, are fun and aren't region locked. Oh, and they are pretty inexpensive now days used. Importing is the solution, throw in cheap yen and its even better.

Wonder if we will get Y5 this year or if it gets pushed to q1.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
You know how it made perfect sense for 1&2 HD to be localized? You know how that didn't happen?

Yeah, I'm not expecting the remake to have any chance whatsoever.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm sure Yakuza 6 will come out in the US, just much later like the rest of the series main series.

With Yakuza 1 being remade they should totally release it here with all the same US VA they used for the original. :getin:

Honestly, I think a big part of the problem with the English VA was the direction. It has some bright spots among all the poo poo.

It's also not at all worth what it would cost.

Also you are the most optimistic person. That you believe that in spite of Sega's prior record is astounding.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Neo Rasa posted:

Not translating Ishin and getting it out in the US ASAP for the first six months of the PS4 was really stupid. I agree with what you say just they did have a big window where there was almost nothing like it on the system and very few games available in general. It would have sold pretty well just on the basis of "run around feudal Japan and stab people." This was during peak "Why isn't there an Assassin's Creed game where I can run around historical Japan" fervor too!

Ok true, I will give you that... but at the same time, literally any game ever being released then would have sold like crazy. Every publisher has to be kicking themselves in the rear end that they didn't foresee the super fast next gen adoption rate. But yeah, if a wacky Japanese samurai game was ever going to sell in the US, it would have been during that time.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Siliconera translated the Famitsu article about Yakuza Kiwami.

quote:

Yakuza Kiwami is considered a “revenge” title to themselves of 10 years ago, as in, they’re trying to prove to themselves that they’re able to do that much better.

The remake will have a vast amount of new scenes.

The way Akira Nishiki “changed” is one that’s especially going to get some attention.

The music was particularly frustrating for Sega to work on. This time they were able to get B’z vocalist Koshi Inaba to help out.

The content they’re going to show for Yakuza Kiwami is said to be more astonishing than what they’ve ever shown at past Tokyo Game Shows.

They say that you’ll burst into tears if you play Yakuza Kiwami right after Yakuza Zero.

Yakuza Kiwami was made all possible because of Yakuza Zero.

The new episode focuses on Nishiki’s big change and the reason behind it while Kiryu was in prison for 10 years.

Nishiki’s voice actor Kazuhiro Nakaya also noted that after reading the script, it was so rough on him that he felt like not reading any scripts for a while.

The concept behind Yakuza Kiwami is to keep the Yakuza taste alive, while making a new title with high quality.

Yakuza Kiwami is being developed with the developers’ knowhow being pushed to their limits.

Events will be easy to understand.

Everything you acquire as far as Battle Style in Yakuza Zero goes, will be available from the very start. However, due to having served prison time for so long, you’ll need to work on getting stronger again. That’s the growth theme behind Yakuza Kiwami.

Goro Majima didn’t have much of an appearance in the original game, but he will in Yakuza Kiwami. You can help power up Kiryu with a new “Everywhere Majima System,” which will basically have Majima show up just about anywhere for a fight.

If you’re wondering about how that works, we’re not exactly sure yet with the information out there, but he can ambush you while disguised as a cabaret club girl.

A new mini-game called “Insect Queen Female King” will also be added.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

quote:

Goro Majima didn’t have much of an appearance in the original game, but he will in Yakuza Kiwami. You can help power up Kiryu with a new “Everywhere Majima System,” which will basically have Majima show up just about anywhere for a fight.

If you’re wondering about how that works, we’re not exactly sure yet with the information out there, but he can ambush you while disguised as a cabaret club girl.
Never let it be said they don't know what fans want.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Policenaut posted:

Siliconera translated the Famitsu article about Yakuza Kiwami.

They say that you’ll burst into tears if you play Yakuza Kiwami right after Yakuza Zero.

It's okay, I've already burst into tears about playing Kiwami

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

We dropped turkeys out of planes just to fill up the sky.

And we know damn well that they can't fly.

Policenaut posted:

This time they were able to get B’z vocalist Koshi Inaba to help out.

Flying into Free - Yakuza Remix.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

Look forward to this! Still haven't done Amon in Zero.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'd be excited if I knew 0, the remake and 6 will make it over here. But I know it won't. Goddammit Sega.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I would be happy with any of the ones we don't have, TBH. I'm not picky, Sega.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
We should release another Sonic game instead.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Croccers posted:

We should release another Sonic game instead.

The Sonic game in development got delayed until next year. Sega aren't really doing much of anything at the moment outside of more Yakuza, but I'd be very surprised to see any localizations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

Thanks, Imgur front page.

English language Yakuza fans are the bitterest people.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I still gotta recommend importing a copy of Ishin. The restoration era setting is pretty goddamn great and allows for many scenes that the modern day ones cannot, I don't know Yak5 or Yak0 so Ishin is my top of cinematic and truly epic moments. KKH subs or whatev has a good enough guide to help anybody gather the deeper bits of the story and gameplay and systems.

One OK Rock handling the attract-mode title theme, and its Haruka is very sweet, pays off even sweeter as you wrap her arc up towards the end.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I mean, it's not like it hasn't been earned.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

mikeycp posted:

I mean, it's not like it hasn't been earned.
Yeah, I wasn't saying it was unwarranted but holy poo poo that gif showed up mere minutes after the trailer was released.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

Give us pre-order money!
When is it coming out? :shrug: I dunno, soon maybe?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

mikeycp posted:

Also 1 looks pretty rough nowadays, I am finding out replaying it for the first time in a long while.

I also didn't realize how relatively sparse it is with side-content until this last month.

My thing, when I was trying to play the PS3 version, is the combat kind of sucks. I mean I inevitably get to the point where I'm desperate to avoid the random battles but Y1 is super-stiff.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I wasn't saying it was unwarranted but holy poo poo that gif showed up mere minutes after the trailer was released.

At this point their bodies have evolved to spit acid on command.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Holy poo poo the RGG Kiwami trailer looks loving sick.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

My thing, when I was trying to play the PS3 version, is the combat kind of sucks. I mean I inevitably get to the point where I'm desperate to avoid the random battles but Y1 is super-stiff.

It's very stiff, and the single-target lock isn't great. Our LP is almost as much me fighting the controls as it is me fighting the dudes.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Remember how we never thought we'd get 3, 4, or 5? Or frickin' Dead Souls?

Throw all of your money at 5.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Did anyone actually want Dead Souls, though? :staredog: I mean, don't get me wrong; I bought it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

man nurse posted:

Remember how we never thought we'd get 3, 4, or 5? Or frickin' Dead Souls?

Throw all of your money at 5.

So what you're saying is we might get the Yakuza 1 remake 5 years from now as a digital download?

I'm just so loving drained by caring about a series I cannot even play. I'm just done. I'm giving up and becoming a fan of Call of Duty because at least I will never ever have to worry about those not being around.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Geop posted:

Did anyone actually want Dead Souls, though? :staredog: I mean, don't get me wrong; I bought it.

I wanted Dead Souls despite how dumb it looked and ended up loving everything about it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Majima was really cool in that game.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Dead Souls was really cool aside from it's obvious flaws

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
What was odd is they released Binary Domain a good 7~ months later to just rock and nail down a set of super solid Third-Person Shooter controls.
Apart from the weird QTE buttons to hit on PC I don't think I ever had an issue with controls or shooting anything in that compared to Dead Souls uhh... unique controls.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
From the Sony Asian press conference:

Yechezkel posted:

Toshihiro Nagoshi is up now, reintroducing Yakuza Kiwami...
January 21 release date for Asia. Traditional Chinese version will be made.

And announcement of Yakuza 6 for PS4, more details at TGS. A traditional Chinese version of it will also be made.

Yeah that's right, no time for English version, but Chinese versions are a-okay.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Is Yakuza really just that popular in China, that it beats out the thought of localizing for the combined masses of english speakers all over the place?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Yardbomb posted:

Is Yakuza really just that popular in China, that it beats out the thought of localizing for the combined masses of english speakers all over the place?

Have you ever been to China? China has more "wannabe Japanese people" than every English-speaking country combined and doubled.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Yakuza: Wu xia please

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Good news: Sega is showing off its TGS streams on YouTube. Hopefully they will be archived. update: no archive. :sigh:

Links are unlisted, but were given out:

Day 1: link to stream, going on now. Sound and video are offsync for now. Drag slider until you see Toshihiro Nagoshi.

quote:

『龍が如く 極』
シリーズ総合監督・名越稔洋が本作に込めた想いを語る、新発表もあり
【登壇者】名越 稔洋(セガゲームス・シリーズ総合監督)
【ゲスト】有村 昆(映画評論家)

Yakuza: Kiwami – Yakuza series supervisor Toshihiro Nagoshi and guest film critic Arimura Kon discuss Yakuza: Kiwami, plus a new announcement.

Day 2: link to stream, not up yet Yakuza segment will be at around 9pm Pacific

quote:

『龍が如く 極』
シリーズ総合監督・名越稔洋が本作の見どころを徹底紹介!
【登壇者】名越 稔洋(セガゲームス・シリーズ総合監督)
【ゲスト】中野 英雄(俳優)

Yakuza: Kiwami – Yakuza series supervisor Toshihiro Nagoshi and guest actor Hideo Nakano thoroughly introduce the highlights of Yakuza: Kiwami.

Day 3: link to stream, not up yet Yakuza segment will be at around 11:30pm Pacific

Day 4: link to stream, not up yet Yakuza segment will be at around 10:50pm Pacific.
Both had same descriptions

quote:

『龍が如く 極』
本作の開発陣がゲームの魅力に迫るトークショーを実施
【登壇者】名越 稔洋(セガゲームス・シリーズ総合監督)、横山 昌義(セガゲームス・プロデューサー)
【ゲスト】ほたるゲンジ(芸人・MC)

A talk show featuring the development team talking about the charm of Yakuza: Kiwami. Featuring Yakuza series supervisor Toshihiro Nagoshi, Yakuza series producer Masayoshi Yokoyama and guest actor Genji Hotaru.
(English descriptions from here)

Today was light on info, but they did reveal that Beat Takeshi will be involved in Yakuza 6.
Also, Yakuza Kiwami will be ¥6,490, which is around US$54. I'm sure the Asian version will be cheaper.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 18, 2015

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Yechezkel posted:

Today was light on info, but they did reveal that Beat Takeshi will be involved in Yakuza 6.

Really not loving amused here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
They should localize the Wii U HD collection cuz people will go "finally a GTA-like for my Nintendo" and sales will be amazing.

• Locked thread