Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

Tatsuta Age posted:

I am excited to play Xenoblade Chronicles X on my Nintendo Wii U in a couple months

With your SA handle, you should be playing the JP version.
In post-fight banter, the jailbait girl constantly confirms she'll be making "Tatsu-ta age" for dinner, a gag in reference to Tatsu, the nopon hanger-on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Doug Dinsdale posted:

the jailbait girl

thanks for sharing.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Doug Dinsdale posted:

the jailbait girl

Her name is Lynlee, not "jailbait girl" you prick.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
*sees a young female character in a video game*
"Wow they added a jailbait girl in this video game smh"

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

wateyad posted:

Why would this bother you at all, let alone enough to affect a purchasing decision?

Already on the fence about the game because I've heard lots of mixed things about it so gaudy poo poo like that doesn't help.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tatsuta Age posted:

I am excited to play Xenoblade Chronicles X on my Nintendo Wii U in a couple months

:agreed:

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Her name is Lynlee, not "jailbait girl" you prick.

I'm merely echoing what's already been reported elsewhere.
Besides, Lolita-type characters are nothing new in the genre.
I keep her and the silver-haired girl in the party since they're absolutely necessary for moving the story events along.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Just saw this video. It explains some stuff about the BLADE divisions. Apparently you get certain buffs depend on which group you are currently joined with. Also, when you have a quest to kill certain enemies, a marker shows above their head to remind you which one it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUK1b_ysTnI

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
From reading impressions I have a feeling that Xenoblade X is comparable to Metal Gear Solid V. Better gameplay and a much more vast overworld, but much weaker story and pacing. Is this accurate?

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

punk rebel ecks posted:

From reading impressions I have a feeling that Xenoblade X is comparable to Metal Gear Solid V. Better gameplay and a much more vast overworld, but much weaker story and pacing. Is this accurate?

Also, replace Snake with a mute avatar.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?

Ardryn posted:

Uh, did you play MGSV?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ardryn posted:

That's MGSV

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

The Manticore posted:

Uh, did you play MGSV?

the climax of the story is a 10 minute car ride in which the antagonist talks for 4 and snake says literally nothing. sure, he talks a bit in menus, but its far from an unfair assessment.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Special edition is back in stock at gamestop.com, still sold out at Amazon.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

Special edition is back in stock at gamestop.com, still sold out at Amazon.

This is very tempting to get but $90. :| That artbook and case are so awesome though.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

The Manticore posted:

Uh, did you play MGSV?

Baal posted:

That's MGSV

Well if that's how you feel, replace what little Snake does talk with unvoiced dialog choices.

Oh, but make Kaz the actual hero of the story and have the rest of the cast give him all the credit.

Ardryn fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 13, 2015

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

I said come in! posted:

This is very tempting to get but $90. :| That artbook and case are so awesome though.

Use your gamestop points to lower the cost.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

Use your gamestop points to lower the cost.

lol I dont buy from gamestop.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

I said come in! posted:

lol I dont buy from gamestop.

Grind out the trade boosting skills and check the wiki to see if there's anyone to trade with. You can probably get it for a small dog or a rare berry or something if you're lucky.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm just going to buy digital on eshop. gently caress Gamestop.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

without gamestop we wouldnt have had xenoblade over here.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

without gamestop we wouldnt have had xenoblade over here.

That's a lot like thanking someone who kidnaps and tortures you.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
GameStop has never kidnapped and tortured me. Now they did offer me a Boba Fett candy dish one time and I took umbrage with that, because the best Star Wars character is Darth Maul tyvm.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

one time i bought resident evil 5 used and they gave me collectors edition tin for free and another time i got like 30 special pokemon unlock cards

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I said come in! posted:

gently caress Gamestop.

I am getting the Happy Home Designer 3DS bundle from them and told me it was a smart purchase for 2015.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Apparently the new Gameinformer has an article on the game, which states that the DLC characters will be included in the base version of the localized game.

quote:

Counting Elma and Lin Lee, a total of 16 characters can be recruited for your party. This includes all the DLC characters relased in Japan; Nintendo is including them at no cost in the North American release.
Though when I found the scan people were saying that there must've been a typo, claiming the correct character count is 16 recruitable characters discounting Elma and Lin.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Skell fanfiction

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Gamestop has always had decent sales. Outside of their weird open box being labeled as new policy I've found some rather decent things there.

But yeah like every retailer stay informed because not everything they have there are at what I would consider good prices. But When they have the BOGO sales that's usually when you can get some real savings. They stopped doing the Buy 10 games get them all 80% off though, because people wised up and bought like one or two 60 dollar games and then filled the rest with games that ran for around a dollar.

This is how I got metroid prime trilogy for less than $20, 80% off and three Hyperdimension Neptunia games ontop of it which were also 80% off and the rest were dollar wii games.

Allthough paying 20 cents for Ghost Squad and a bunch of the Wii Arcade ports was not bad at all. I think I paid around 3 bucks for both Dissaster report games when they were liquidating their PS2 stock and I paid pennies for dman near every worthwhile game on the gamecube when they were discontinuing that system.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 13, 2015

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Huh, 16 makes more than double the playable characters of Xenoblade: how are the characters in this game, does anyone know? Like I know the plot of this game is thinner but apparently there are character-specific quest chains in lieu of heart-to-hearts and I've seen those done decently in other JRPGs. It's not like plot importance is a prerequisite to being a good character anyway, look at Riki. Come to think of it, how do they play compared to the specific-strengths-but-fairly-versatile-roles party members of Xenoblade?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So at pax there was no demo, except a weekend long presentation by a guy who would cover like 10 different topics every hour or so. I sat in on a few.

(they had no demo because they argued it was "too complex" to showcase a demo, which is a whole other can of worms imo)

Anyways things I took from it:

mechs are super fuckin expensive, and you don't even get one until like level 20, something like 10-15 hours into the game or something? also if you destroy your mech in combat, and you havent bought insurance, gg. you have to rebuy the whole loving thing.

mechs have fuel, and you can rebuy fuel, but it seems to slowly regen while in a city.

the level of customization was nuts. You can swap out individual parts, along with color customization? neat

the demo frequently had text placeholders like #Left_arm_atch or whatever for text, which looked like they hadn't finished translating the game yet

the tank controls (mech can flip between ground tank or flying mech) look to be extremely loving floaty, slightest movement caused it to slide all over

the ui has a LOT going on, and not all of it is quite clear what's what at first impression

the UI has a lot going on in general, actually.

The ui text descriptions (like for abilities) are really small and in retrospect I wish i would have asked him about UI scaling. The small text on a 50" tv sitting about 6-8 feet away was hard to read.

Remember the blue orbs? well now they're diamonds. collect them all! :stonklol:

npcs still have schedules and won't show up at certain times of the day, but somewhere in the map you can see sections where it has notes like "found Gaston here"

The maps are still loving huge.

there's a focus mode thing that does...something. slows time and you can do more damage??

press B to sync with your teammates still in. combat seems largely unchanged. no "reyn time", instead they yell whatever it was they were yelling.

I wasn't sure if it was 30fps or 60fps, but there were noticeable dips in the framerate. looks pretty tho.

The guy showcasing the game at pax was this guy in the middle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcMkczoRMTU

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Sep 14, 2015

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Motto posted:

Apparently the new Gameinformer has an article on the game, which states that the DLC characters will be included in the base version of the localized game.

Though when I found the scan people were saying that there must've been a typo, claiming the correct character count is 16 recruitable characters discounting Elma and Lin.

Motto posted:

Skell fanfiction

i like everything about this.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Watching a stream and the geometry pop in and enemy pop in is disappointingly bad. I didn't notice it on the pax demo tho.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's an optional install that improves the pop-in and loading times, maybe they're playing without that.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

She was playing the download version.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

mechs are super fuckin expensive, and you don't even get one until like level 20, something like 10-15 hours into the game or something? also if you destroy your mech in combat, and you havent bought insurance, gg. you have to rebuy the whole loving thing.

mechs have fuel, and you can rebuy fuel, but it seems to slowly regen while in a city.

The mechs are indeed expensive as gently caress, but that's not quite how insurance works. When you buy one, if it gets blown up, you have to go repair it. You're given insurance so that you don't have to pay the first two or three times, I forget which, but after that you have to pay a very hefty repair bill. Hefty as it is, however, it's cheaper than buying a new one. I don't know if you can purchase more insurance, but I'm pretty sure you can't.

The fuel does regenerate, but it's when you're dismounted, not when you're in a city. It regenerates slowly because the intent is that you can jump in your robot for big fights, and if you use it sparingly then they should be able to run for a good long time between having to buy more fuel, which is expensive. The problem is that you can do something called Catch: the target can't move or attack and allies can't miss, kind of the robot-scale equivalent of Topple. When you do this, you regenerate fuel very quickly. So fuel can be a concern in a fight, but in the long haul shouldn't be too much of a limiting factor. This leaves aside things like "stand in a safe spot and leave the game running overnight" type poo poo, but I don't think they were willing to expend the effort required to prevent that kind of thing.

quote:

there's a focus mode thing that does...something. slows time and you can do more damage??

I don't know what this one is. It's either using the Overclock Gear (Overdrive Gear in the official translation, I think?) which makes all your poo poo recharge faster and you hit harder and assorted other bonuses, or Cockpit Mode which triggers randomly and instantly refreshes all weapon cooldowns.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Fiora's in Project X Zone 2.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I did it, I preordered the thing.

Disk version anyways. gently caress if I'm gonna wait for the loving 30gb worth of data to download at 8mbit~ or so when I have a 30mbit download speed.

Course, I still have to wait for the 8gb~ of installed data, but I'll likely put that off after I pass out on the couch on the first day playing.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

https://twitter.com/yuichiro_takeda/status/645478451881750529
"英語圏の人は、「my waifu」という言い方するけど、なんで「my wife」でも「mai waifu」でもないんだろう……?"
Oh no.
Hes the writer of Xenoblades.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Junkie Disease posted:

Oh no.

I'm sure this is all very interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Junkie Disease posted:

Oh no.

He's asking why English speakers say "my waifu" instead of being linguistically consistent by saying "my wife" or "mai waifu."

• Locked thread